2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:For what it is worth, Jarmond has given no indication anything is about to change. He thinks getting bowl eligible is important for fund raising and recruiting.

He is not the final say on this. If he is looking to make a change, he has to make his case to Leahy. Fish has Leahy's ear and he seems to think Addazio is the right guy for the job, but who knows what he really thinks. My guess is Addazio safe no matter what happens at Pitt. It feels like business as usual right now.

Sorry but have you heard this from an "insider?" I have heard the exact opposite from a player's father....the kids hate Addazio and Jarmond has carte blanche to fire Addazio. He hasn't done so because Martin has not found his guy. Who knows???

I think Jarmond would qualify as an insider. As I said, he has not given anyone any indication a change is on the table. As far as the players, they like Addazio. That has been his best quality. Aside from some malcontents here and there, parents and players like him a lot. Addazio is not a good coach, but he is a decent person and he treats the player well. He never would have made it this long if not.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:35 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:For what it is worth, Jarmond has given no indication anything is about to change. He thinks getting bowl eligible is important for fund raising and recruiting.

He is not the final say on this. If he is looking to make a change, he has to make his case to Leahy. Fish has Leahy's ear and he seems to think Addazio is the right guy for the job, but who knows what he really thinks. My guess is Addazio safe no matter what happens at Pitt. It feels like business as usual right now.

Sorry but have you heard this from an "insider?" I have heard the exact opposite from a player's father....the kids hate Addazio and Jarmond has carte blanche to fire Addazio. He hasn't done so because Martin has not found his guy. Who knows???

I think Jarmond would qualify as an insider. As I said, he has not given anyone any indication a change is on the table. As far as the players, they like Addazio. That has been his best quality. Aside from some malcontents here and there, parents and players like him a lot. Addazio is not a good coach, but he is a decent person and he treats the player well. He never would have made it this long if not.

If this is the case then (obviously) Addazio is all the administration wants. If he can beat Pittsburgh and get them into a bowl, and that is ALL they expect of him, then he is doing his job. And it wouldn't surprise me if some of the players love him because they may not have had any other Power-5 opportunities. Perhaps some of the players think that they OWE him?

I don't know.

I guess until he is actually fired, I wont believe that he will be fired. Leahy may love him and he isn't going anywhere. But nothing would surprise me.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/

#5 now
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:34 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:I think Jarmond would qualify as an insider. As I said, he has not given anyone any indication a change is on the table. As far as the players, they like Addazio. That has been his best quality. Aside from some malcontents here and there, parents and players like him a lot. Addazio is not a good coach, but he is a decent person and he treats the player well. He never would have made it this long if not.

Just to be clear ...

You and Jarmond were hanging at a pay-by-the-ounce FroYo bar just outside of town, and while covering your concotion with gummy bears, you asked Jarmond if he's going to fire Addazio, and he said, 'No, cowboy, I'm not, and thats the deepest contents of my true heart I just revealed to you there'.

OR

You have some connection to someone who has some connection to someone who ... N someones later, has a connection to Jarmond. And Jarmond has not revealed to this person that he's going to fire Addazio, nor has he acted any differently about any of the daily ins and outs of his job.

If the latter - which I suspect since I hear from an INSIDE SOURCE that Jarmond doesn't like gummy bears on his FroYo - why on earth would Jarmond do anything other than play his cards close? Why would he act any differently with one and potentially more games left in the season (and essentially an incomplete report card for Daz)? Even if he has Daz fired and a slate of potential coaches lined up for interviews, just letting that information slip compromises financial terms and offer lists and so forth ... why would he offer any indications of his thinking at all?

If he walked around blabbing like nospace about his allowance, in-laws, RV habits, and PVC halberds he manufactures for his LARP reenactments, he wouldn't have made it far in the exciting world of AD'ing, I think.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:10 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:As far as the players, they like Addazio. That has been his best quality. Aside from some malcontents here and there, parents and players like him a lot. Addazio is not a good coach, but he is a decent person and he treats the player well. He never would have made it this long if not.

it's no near as universal as you portray
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Daz is not universally loved, and Marty knows enough to keep his cards close to his chest.

I think it’s most likely that we’re disappointed for other reasons
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:37 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

Are you saying Jarmond doesn't even like pay-by-the-ounce fro-yo?

Related: I'll be stunned if Daz is fired. Flattened. Assclown will return to assclown again. Hi-yo, throw game!
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:39 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Are you saying Jarmond doesn't even like pay-by-the-ounce fro-yo?

easiest thing to jack from mcelroy latenight
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:42 pm

If there is no buyout like everyone has been saying, Jarmond will move on. He has to if he wants to take the next step in his career, and a guy as ambitious as him does not see BC as his last job
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:54 pm

I will be SHOCKED if Daz beats Pitt and is fired.
If he loses, he’s in trouble.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:59 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:As far as the players, they like Addazio. That has been his best quality. Aside from some malcontents here and there, parents and players like him a lot. Addazio is not a good coach, but he is a decent person and he treats the player well. He never would have made it this long if not.

it's no near as universal as you portray

Pretty hard to get 85+ young kids to like you. Especially the ones who don’t think they are getting enough PT or playing out of position etc. I think you would find mixed player sentiments at any school. Not easy to get 85+ people let alone 85 fickle kids to like you.

Spaz was an exception from what I hear due to his commitment to the 1970s workout regime... full pads everyday at practice. I think pretty much EVERYONE hated him.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:09 pm

Im sure there are some who have good sources on here, but mine who've been pretty damn good through the years have absolutely nothing. I'm not sure there's a lot out there right now to be heard.

Nothing wrong with good message board talk and speculation, but the normal folks who in years past were starting to leak not to expect a change aren't talking, but they're also not talking about a change. It's very quiet over there.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:Im sure there are some who have good sources on here, but mine who've been pretty damn good through the years have absolutely nothing. I'm not sure there's a lot out there right now to be heard.

Nothing wrong with good message board talk and speculation, but the normal folks who in years past were starting to leak not to expect a change aren't talking, but they're also not talking about a change. It's very quiet over there.

It’s probably quiet because nobody cares anymore.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:Im sure there are some who have good sources on here, but mine who've been pretty damn good through the years have absolutely nothing. I'm not sure there's a lot out there right now to be heard.

MJ keeps his cards close to his chest. The only thing I had even heard that Daz might be in trouble is from Mike Tirico during the ND game when he quoted MJ as saying the ND and Pitt games were "very important". I think that's the only thing remotely close to being considered "fact" and even that was through another person albeit in a very public setting. I don't think anyone really knows though. Maybe some of the bigger donors like Fish but doubtful.

I thought earlier in the season that Daz could survive 5-7 but i'm not so sure now based on that comment. I think he's safe at 6-6 unless an absolute PERFECT candidate emerges and I'm not quite sure that one exists. it would have to be someone who says and believes in the important things to Leahy and the BOT (faith, character, academics) and can legitimately coach. who out there truly fits the BC mold? maybe jarmond has one up his sleeve but i'm not quite sure he does. for that reason, most of the names in this thread will never happen or even be considered. sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Daz may not be a good coach but he embodies what Leahy and presumably the BOT want from a coach. makes a bowl game, wins more than he loses, doesn't rock the boat.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 pm

MJ is not lips sealed like Bates nor blabber mouth like GDF, so people know but not everyone. If it is to the point where people like Feldman are listing the pros of the BC job, then you know a lot of agents and coaches are talking about it and/or serving as references. The players think Addazio is done.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:MJ is not lips sealed like Bates nor blabber mouth like GDF, so people know but not everyone. If it is to the point where people like Feldman are listing the pros of the BC job, then you know a lot of agents and coaches are talking about it and/or serving as references. The players think Addazio is done.

Have you heard anything other than he’s safe at 6-6?

Ps I think Schiano would be a disaster and he would leave the program in a similar state that Spaz did in 2012.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:35 pm

Both Thornton and Cowboy have had good info in the past and have selectively posted (as opposed to us 6 other posters left who vomit our every whimsical thought).

Nonetheless, BC doesn’t ever telegraph shit. It’s not how they do business. They won’t be flagging the media, they won’t be getting out their spin. They won’t even begin the decision-making process until Sunday. There is simply nothing to talk about because there is no decision. The whole “sit down at the end of each season and discuss the program” is a real thing at BC.

I think Marty was ready to move on from Daz years ago. As 22 said, Marty has to sell it to Leahy and the trustees. He will have to make the case for a change. The focus of that change will likely be financials. How much does he coast to get rid of, how much does the next coach cost, how much revenue is lost by keeping him or gained by a change.

I am sure Daz has his supporters and detractors within the administration. That’s what comes with 7 years at the helm. Personally, this feels like Spaz and Don where everyone agreed that neither was the answer, but it was more a question of no wanting to make a move for the sake of change. Even something as obvious as Spaz’s termination, we were all holding our breath to see if it would happen.

Ultimately, I think that Marty will have to go to the mat to ensure Daz’s departure. The more he has to fight for the firing, the less resources I think the administration will be willing to give him to land a top replacement.

No inside info. Just my read on the situation and knowledge of how shitty we are as a university under Bill.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:13 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Why do the players hate Addazio? We all could speculate but I’m curious what you’ve heard.

I find it very hard to believe that a successful businessman like Fish would like a gym teacher like Addazio.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:16 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

It’s probably quiet because nobody cares anymore.

This.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:58 am

I thought with ND loss, Jarmond would have pulled trigger and named a placeholder, while he waited for someone, who he already had an agreement in principle, to play out their string wherever they were.

It is senseless, if a change was in the cards, to let Addazio play out the string, possibly become bowl eligible and get to seven wins once again. Just bad optics.

I guess a loss to Pitt still opens the door, but it seems to me that the time to move on has passed.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:48 am

Marty has no agreement with a replacement because Marty doesn’t yet know if there will be a position to replace.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:10 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:I thought with ND loss, Jarmond would have pulled trigger and named a placeholder, while he waited for someone, who he already had an agreement in principle, to play out their string wherever they were.

It is senseless, if a change was in the cards, to let Addazio play out the string, possibly become bowl eligible and get to seven wins once again. Just bad optics.

I guess a loss to Pitt still opens the door, but it seems to me that the time to move on has passed.

I don't know of BC ever making a change during the season for any coach and making the heinz hammer the precedent doesn't make a lot of sense.

To the comment above about Fish liking Dazz, I don't know if that is true but we have an example of losing a top donor who got in bed with the football coach.

Donors like exclusive access and a college football coach is a salesman, would not surprise me if Dazz has a friendship at this point with the guy who got his name on the football facilities. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:21 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:MJ is not lips sealed like Bates nor blabber mouth like GDF, so people know but not everyone. If it is to the point where people like Feldman are listing the pros of the BC job, then you know a lot of agents and coaches are talking about it and/or serving as references. The players think Addazio is done.

feldman and board favorite mandel both believe the job will be open

like moj said i doubt it's a sunday morning press release cause nothing is every easy at this school. just need to look back at the cluster our last coaching change that landed us jimmy mac
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:30 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

feldman and board favorite mandel both believe the job will be open

like moj said i doubt it's a sunday morning press release cause nothing is every easy at this school. just need to look back at the cluster our last coaching change that landed us jimmy mac

Those two thinking it’s happening is a good sign, but Thamel seems to be the one that has broken any news since Marty came aboard
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Both Thornton and Cowboy have had good info in the past and have selectively posted (as opposed to us 6 other posters left who vomit our every whimsical thought).

Nonetheless, BC doesn’t ever telegraph shit. It’s not how they do business. They won’t be flagging the media, they won’t be getting out their spin. They won’t even begin the decision-making process until Sunday. There is simply nothing to talk about because there is no decision. The whole “sit down at the end of each season and discuss the program” is a real thing at BC.

I think Marty was ready to move on from Daz years ago. As 22 said, Marty has to sell it to Leahy and the trustees. He will have to make the case for a change. The focus of that change will likely be financials. How much does he coast to get rid of, how much does the next coach cost, how much revenue is lost by keeping him or gained by a change.

I am sure Daz has his supporters and detractors within the administration. That’s what comes with 7 years at the helm. Personally, this feels like Spaz and Don where everyone agreed that neither was the answer, but it was more a question of no wanting to make a move for the sake of change. Even something as obvious as Spaz’s termination, we were all holding our breath to see if it would happen.

Ultimately, I think that Marty will have to go to the mat to ensure Daz’s departure. The more he has to fight for the firing, the less resources I think the administration will be willing to give him to land a top replacement.

No inside info. Just my read on the situation and knowledge of how shitty we are as a university under Bill.

I'm not sure what the Saturday game could prove in either direction, but the above is probably the level-headed way to approach this.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:46 am

HJS might be the go-to person on Schiano, but I watched him coach 32 Bucs games and I spent years working next to Rutgers so here it goes.

Schiano is basically an improved version of Addazio. The guy has zero personality with the media or administration so from a fundraising perspective he wouldn't be great (which is why I'm thinking Jarmond might not love him). He's not a great in-game coach, but he's not Addazio level of disaster either. He's a good/great recruiter, is very good at player development (he was the only guy to get anything out of Josh Freeman) and actually makes decent in-game adjustments. He's well connected so can probably find good assistants easily and the dude is super prepared.

He is also a complete hard-ass and control freak (he demanded One Buc Place be set at exactly 68 degrees for example) which might play better at the college level than the pro level. The players and administration generally aren't big fans of him after about a week.

I can't endorse him, but he's better than the last 2 coaches we've had here in Spaz and Daz. He'll get good talent and can probably win 7-8 games a year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:HJS might be the go-to person on Schiano, but I watched him coach 32 Bucs games and I spent years working next to Rutgers so here it goes.

Schiano is basically an improved version of Addazio. The guy has zero personality with the media or administration so from a fundraising perspective he wouldn't be great (which is why I'm thinking Jarmond might not love him). He's not a great in-game coach, but he's not Addazio level of disaster either. He's a good/great recruiter, is very good at player development (he was the only guy to get anything out of Josh Freeman) and actually makes decent in-game adjustments. He's well connected so can probably find good assistants easily and the dude is super prepared.

He is also a complete hard-ass and control freak (he demanded One Buc Place be set at exactly 68 degrees for example) which might play better at the college level than the pro level. The players and administration generally aren't big fans of him after about a week.

I can't endorse him, but he's better than the last 2 coaches we've had here in Spaz and Daz. He'll get good talent and can probably win 7-8 games a year.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. I'd add that Schiano is also a weird dude... but, I'm not looking for a bff. Schiano is very good at developing a program. He is big on culture and (I think) would drag BC up a level to where it is now. That is all I'm looking for in the next coach. I have zero hope that BC is going to adroitly maneuver this next month to dump Daz and make an inspired replacement. I think it is significantly more likely that they either hold onto Daz or dump him and hire some shitty MAC coach on the cheap. In pretty much every way, I think that Schiano being our coach by Christmas is about the best I could ever reasonably expect from the current administration.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:33 am

Not sure how BC touches schiano after the Tennessee/penn state/Sandusky debacle.

Even if that was all a lot of smoke, it’s just not the type of thing BC would ever wade into.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 am

I think Daz got us to a place where Schiano wouldn’t make a huge difference. I think it’d be 8 wins a year instead of 7. Schiano would have been great for picking up the pieces after the Spaz debacle. Right now, I think we need someone that can modernize our approach.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:04 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I think Daz got us to a place where Schiano wouldn’t make a huge difference. I think it’d be 8 wins a year instead of 7. Schiano would have been great for picking up the pieces after the Spaz debacle. Right now, I think we need someone that can modernize our approach.

If over the next 5 years BC averaged 8 wins a season I doubt many on here would be upset.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 am

Can Schiano improve our recruiting rankings in the ACC from the 12-14 range to say 6-8? If the answer is yes then IMO he's worth a shot. We've never even sniffed that type of recruiting "success". As someone else on here noted, if he can clean up in NJ and eastern PA it might be a way to get this program to the next level.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium