2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Chris Creighton??? Jesus. That would be a fitting end to their search.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm

latest from feldman on rutgers (the part that's related to bc):

Whether Hafley would really want the Rutgers job is another matter. The timing of the Schiano news and this re-set could be complicated by the coaching dynamics at Boston College, where pressure mounts on Steve Addazio and his 5-6 team that has really backslid. BC is seen as a more attractive job to many because there’s been a stronger track record of success and it’s not in a division as stacked as the Big Ten East.

Michigan linebackers coach Anthony Campanile, another New Jersey native with deep ties around the state, also is expected to get a long look by Rutgers. Campanile, 37, played at Rutgers under Schiano. He also spent three years on Addazio’s staff at BC and is well thought-of by his peers. The hunch here is that it would be hard for Campanile to pass up the Rutgers job if offered.

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:51 pm

everything sounds great in piscataway: https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019 ... ssion=true
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Joe Moorhead could come into a team with two Saquon-like backs in AJ and Bailey. It makes too much sense.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Joe Moorhead could come into a team with two Saquon-like backs in AJ and Bailey. It makes too much sense.

I'm guessing Dillon declares for the NFL. Why would he stay?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:56 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Schiano still not done

There is a belief out of RU that Schiano’s interest in returning to Piscataway is inversely related to Daz’s odds of being fired. Schiano has wanted a crack at the BC job for years. He initially didn’t express interest in the RU job. But, then started talking around the time of NCS/Cuse wins. His demands upped significantly after FSU. He’s asking for new facilities. Top money to hire assistants. And supposedly a 10 year contract. This could be his way of saying “thanks but no thanks.”

wouldn't be overly thrilled w gregorio (think we need to swing for the fences and he does better in a program building job) but the idea of pairing schiano with camp and cleaning up in nj would be interesting

I just don't see him as a big improvement over Addazio. At least he is not a former O-lineman so he won't be married to the idea of cracking the rock.

This is kind of where I stand on Schiano. Lets not forget that the "magical" Rutgers turnaround happened after the Big East was raided and left for dead. He built those "successful" teams in a watered down conference with horrid out of conference opponents.

Is the underlying assumption that he was trying to price himself out of the Rutgers job and that should he come here it would be more with more realistic demands (with hope that BC's private nature would allow him to take less than RU offered and it wouldn't get out as to not embarrass SUNJ) ? I personally dont see the value in $4mm a year and a jet for him of all people. If presented the option of Schiano vs a younger guy like Camp/Haffley with a larger asst pool, im leaning the latter every time.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:58 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Joe Moorhead could come into a team with two Saquon-like backs in AJ and Bailey. It makes too much sense.

I'm guessing Dillon declares for the NFL. Why would he stay?

Why did Matt Ryan stay? Matt already earned his bachelor's degree at the end of his junior year because he redshirted.

Dillon might stay because he never red-shirted and wants to get the degree. Or maybe Jarmond terminates Daz and hires a real coach? Or maybe he thinks he has a shot at a high first round draft selection staying one more year? Who know why these kids do what they do.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Cross off Luke Fickel, Cincinnati looked terrible against Temple. The best choice would be Matt Campbell, but BC is not going to pay him enough and he probably wants a marquee program. Well, that brings us right back to Don Brown. He would have been 10-2 with this team against this schedule. He is the bridge to get us over the last few Leahy years.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:39 am

Seven years ago today, Spaz was canned. Hopefully we get a repeat, but with a much better solution.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:15 am

Firing Steve in his seventh year would be serendipitous.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 am

Please do not fire Steve Addazio and replace him with Greg Schiano

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:42 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Please do not fire Steve Addazio and replace him with Greg Schiano

Its like you have something against Italian coaches.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:29 am

I've convinced myself that Addazio will be fired by this time next week.

I've also convinced myself that I will be underwhelmed by the new hire.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:39 am

I tend to believe that Jarmond will add some unorthodox names into the candidate pool and I could see the final pick being somewhat of a surprise. Whether that’s good or bad, who knows, but I could see it playing out like his hiring where the final pick is a late entrant who’s name hadn’t been mentioned much if at all.

Fully prepared to be disappointed, but I wouldn’t mind being disappointed in a new way
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:53 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Please do not fire Steve Addazio and replace him with Greg Schiano

Its like you have something against Italian coaches.

The last successful BC Coach with a vowel at the end of his name was Polish

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:59 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I've convinced myself that Addazio will be fired by this time next week.

If you are leaning toward pulling the plug, why would you wait?
If he beats Pitt, then he’s very well on his way to a seventh win and that allows for the CONSISTENCY argument. It also brings up the question that if 7 wins isn’t enough, then why did you wait this long to figure that out?

Not firing him after ND was a mistake. I think the cockroach will now survive and get another year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:01 am

Curious to see how thin skin sounds during the press conference today
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:37 am

For what it is worth, Jarmond has given no indication anything is about to change. He thinks getting bowl eligible is important for fund raising and recruiting.

He is not the final say on this. If he is looking to make a change, he has to make his case to Leahy. Fish has Leahy's ear and he seems to think Addazio is the right guy for the job, but who knows what he really thinks. My guess is Addazio safe no matter what happens at Pitt. It feels like business as usual right now.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:39 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Curious to see how thin skin sounds during the press conference today

I expect he will be delusional... everything is great, team had a great couple days of practice, working hard to correct those third quarter mistakes, excited to win our sixth game and get bowl eligible for the 6th time in 7 years despite INJURIES, YOUTH, PLAYERS LEAVING EARLY, etc. how much he loves these guys who love ball and do things the right way. I think he will be in full job preservation mode and his remarks will be 100% tailored to Mj who attends every presser. Also Expect lots of FAITH, ACADEMICS, CHARACTER, BC men references as well. I could go on but just listen to any one of his press conferences and you’ll get the idea of what a Dazbot sounds like.

I may have missed something but you get the idea.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:50 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:For what it is worth, Jarmond has given no indication anything is about to change. He thinks getting bowl eligible is important for fund raising and recruiting.

He is not the final say on this. If he is looking to make a change, he has to make his case to Leahy. Fish has Leahy's ear and he seems to think Addazio is the right guy for the job, but who knows what he really thinks. My guess is Addazio safe no matter what happens at Pitt. It feels like business as usual right now.

If Leahy loves Addazio, then that is it. Jarmond will not be able to terminate Addazio on his own authority. Addazio is not going anywhere because no one else will offer him a job the way NCState did :toby. Of course, that is assuming that Addazio is loved by Leahy. None of us know the answer to that.

If Leahy doesn't care either way, I can certainly understand why Jarmond didn't terminate Addazio LAST year. The team started 7-2, was ranked nationally, and got College Game Day for the Clemson home game. That is a few reasons (perhaps, not good reasons) for Jarmond to give him a tiny contract extension. But Jarmond has to be thinking this year was a disaster in a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" kind of way. With just Addazio's recruits, the 2018 team was the best it has ever been for the man. Will 2020 be any better with the players a little more older and experienced? Tough to say.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:For what it is worth, Jarmond has given no indication anything is about to change. He thinks getting bowl eligible is important for fund raising and recruiting.

Sorry but have you heard this from an "insider?" I have heard the exact opposite from a player's father....the kids hate Addazio and Jarmond has carte blanche to fire Addazio. He hasn't done so because Martin has not found his guy. Who knows???
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Sorry but have you heard this from an "insider?" I have heard the exact opposite from a player's father....the kids hate Addazio and Jarmond has carte blanche to fire Addazio. He hasn't done so because Martin has not found his guy. Who knows???

Why do the players hate Addazio? We all could speculate but I’m curious what you’ve heard.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I dont know you, or the other guy, or anyone, but I hope you are correct and that Jarmond has carte blanche. That's so far above my abyssmal expectations - MJ's career hinges on this hire and a guy who bets on himself getting this opportunity is potentially an excellent setup.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:59 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I've convinced myself that Addazio will be fired by this time next week.

Given the history of this program over the past 10 years, yup.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:02 pm

No more mustache, he’s a goner
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:22 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:No more mustache, he’s a goner

He's in disguise. He's "hiding" from his boss. Maybe he'll start to grow some hair on his scalp?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:37 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I dont know you, or the other guy, or anyone, but I hope you are correct and that Jarmond has carte blanche. That's so far above my abyssmal expectations - MJ's career hinges on this hire and a guy who bets on himself getting this opportunity is potentially an excellent setup.

I was told by someone at BC that Martin and Leahy are "best friends," and that its almost a joke among the staff because it's such an odd couple. However it completely make sense if he realized early on that the firing of the football coach hinged on the relationship with Father Leahy.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:24 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Why do the players hate Addazio? We all could speculate but I’m curious what you’ve heard.

I didn't drill down. I was just happy to hear about the ability to fire.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:55 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/an-8-year-contract-and-unlimited-jet-use-among-greg-schianos-reported-demands-from-rutgers/ar-BBXjold?ocid=spartanntp

The highlights of what Schiano wanted

wanted from Rutgers, not BC

according to the site:

— An 8-year contract worth $4 million per year, with $400,000 retention bonuses after Years 4 and 6.
— A buyout starting at $25.2 million.
— The freedom to walk without penalty if the school did not improve its football facilities by 2023.
— Unlimited private jet use.
— A staff salary pool starting at $7.7 million, increasing by at least 3 percent per year.
— Other standard bonuses and perks common to coaching contracts at the Power 5 level.

Rutgers offered Schiano a 6-year contract averaging $4 million per year, which shows that the sides agreed on the annual salary, but Schiano sought a buyout that was worth more than the entire contract the school offered.

So, yeah, it wasn’t about the money, but it was about the money.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:14 pm

FWIW (less than if it were Thamel) Mandel and Feldman both expect Addazio to be a goner on their podcast
BC923
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium