2019 postseason

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2019 postseason

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Will BC be a part of it?

In:

Clemson 11 0
Wake Forest 7 3
Virginia 7 3
Pittsburgh 7 3
Virginia Tech 7 3
Miami (FL) 6 4
Louisville 6 4
Florida State 6 5

more work to do:

Boston College 5 5 @Pitt, @ND
NC State 4 6 GT, NC
Syracuse 4 6 @Ville, Wake
North Carolina 4 6 mercer, @nc state
Duke 4 6 @wake, Miami

done:

Georgia Tech 2 8

I. If Clemson makes the playoff:

next highest ranked team would go to the orange bowl
A. if orange bowl opponent is from Big 10:
ACC team to Citrus bowl
ACC team to Camping World bowl (so 4 teams right now would be accounted for... Clemson, orange, citrus, camping world)
Tier 1 bowls... Belk, music city or gator, pinstripe, Tony the Tiger bowl (so 7 spots covered plus 1 for ND)
Tier 2... military bowl, independence bowl, quick lane bowl (10 teams needed plus 1 for ND)
B. if orange bowl opponent is not from Big10:
ACC team to Camping World bowl (so 4 teams right now would be accounted for... Clemson, orange, camping world)
Tier 1 bowls... Belk, music city or gator, pinstripe, Tony the Tiger bowl (so 6 spots covered plus 1 for ND)
Tier 2... military bowl, independence bowl, quick lane bowl (9 teams needed plus 1 for ND)

I. if Clemson doesn't make the playoff, then 1 less team in the 2 scenarios above

Right now, 8 teams are qualified with 5 more able to (four plus BC).
Assuming NC beats mercer, and nc state beats GT, then the winner of NC/NC State would qualify.... 9 ACC teams in.

Lets assume BC loses out to go 5-7.
Im guessing Duke has a good APR so that prob means BC's only chance to get in would be to hope for the following:

1) Clemson gets into the playoff
2) Syracuse doesn't get six (loses to Ville OR miami)... eliminated
3) duke loses to BOTH wake and Miami.... eliminated
4) Big10 is the orange bowl opponent OR ND gets a new year's six game OR ND is the orange bowl opponent

if the Big10 is the orange bowl opponent, then there would be 11 spots and ND would take one of those spots. That would leave the ACC with a hole to fill for the 11th (which would be BC could fill at 5 wins and a good APR since there would be no other available teams available).

Alternatively, if ND gets a NY6 bid or it becomes the orange bowl opponent and Big ten is not the opponent it would be 10 spots with ND not taking one of them and thus BC could fill the 10th for the same reason.

If the Big 10 opponent is in the orange bowl and ND gets a NY6 game, then there would be 11 spots with ND not taking one of them so in that scenario, Duke could win one of their games and get in as well.

There are also 2 bowls which could have openings if they are not filled by other conferences:
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
Birmingham Bowl
but im guessing it would be hard for BC to get in them with 5 wins.

BOTTOM LINE, the odds of BC getting a bowl bid at 5 wins is very low and they need to win another game or their fate is dependent on a LOT of other things.

Source: ACC Bowl Lineup

I like bc football.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Re: 2019 postseason

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Dude you need to give this up
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Dude you need to give this up

But think of the extra practices!

Captain Catsup says he needs these practices they are vital to his goal of 7 wins. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Captain Catsup says he needs these practices they are vital to his goal of 7 wins. :ace

Regardless of who the coach is not having these practices would be detrimental to the team.
Pretty sure Daz is coming back but even if he doesn’t, then not having a bowl game and the practices would be an impediment in terms of development and recruiting.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Regardless of who the coach is not having these practices would be detrimental to the team.
Pretty sure Daz is coming back but even if he doesn’t, then not having a bowl game and the practices would be an impediment in terms of development and recruiting.

If Daz leaves, they're not going to have a new coach hired by the time these practices occur. Having players with questionable talent practice a system/terminology that we're not going to use next year is really not helpful.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 am

If we go 6-6, Duke is eligible, Cuse is not, and ND gets NY6:

If we go 7-5, Duke loses out, NC St. wins out, and VT upsets Clemson in ACCCG:

If we go 5-7, Duke, NC St, and Cuse all lose out, UGA beats LSU, Wake gets NY6:

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:38 am

Under what scenario do we get a washiki?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

If Daz leaves, they're not going to have a new coach hired by the time these practices occur. Having players with questionable talent practice a system/terminology that we're not going to use next year is really not helpful.

Early signing period is third week in December. Not having a head coach for it would be an epic level of disaster. It would beyond stupid to do what you are saying and not have a coach installed by then.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Hansen, you can't get that time back.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Sorry, but I assume they have been practicing on a regular basis since last August and how's that worked out....more practice ain't gonna' miraculously convert a sow's ear into a silk purse...
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:06 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Under what scenario do we get a washiki?

If they bring back the Mirage Bowl.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm

UPDATE:

IN (8)
Clemson, Wake Forest, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Miami (FL), Louisville, Florida State

Possible (in order of APRs):

Duke 4 7 Miami
Boston College 5 6 @Pitt
North Carolina 5 6 NC State

OUT:

NC State 4 7 (shitty APR)
Syracuse 4 7 (shitty APR)
GT 3 8

I. If Clemson makes the playoff:

next highest ranked team would go to the orange bowl
A. if orange bowl opponent is from Big 10:
ACC team to Citrus bowl
ACC team to Camping World bowl (so 4 teams right now would be accounted for... Clemson, orange, citrus, camping world)
Tier 1 bowls... Belk, music city or gator, pinstripe, Tony the Tiger bowl (so 7 spots covered plus 1 for ND)
Tier 2... military bowl, independence bowl, quick lane bowl (10 teams needed plus 1 for ND)
B. if orange bowl opponent is not from Big10:
ACC team to Camping World bowl (so 4 teams right now would be accounted for... Clemson, orange, camping world)
Tier 1 bowls... Belk, music city or gator, pinstripe, Tony the Tiger bowl (so 6 spots covered plus 1 for ND)
Tier 2... military bowl, independence bowl, quick lane bowl (9 teams needed plus 1 for ND)

I. if Clemson doesn't make the playoff, then 1 less team in the 2 scenarios above

Right now, 8 teams are qualified with 2 more able to (one plus BC) outright.
If NC beat NC State.... 9 ACC teams in.

Lets assume BC loses out to go 5-7.
Im guessing Duke has a good APR so that prob means BC's only chance to get in would be to hope for the following:

1) Clemson gets into the playoff
3) duke loses to Miami.... eliminated
4) Big10 is the orange bowl opponent

if the Big10 is the orange bowl opponent, then there would be 11 spots and ND would take one of those spots. That would leave the ACC with a hole to fill for the 11th (which would be BC could fill at 5 wins and a good APR since there would be no other available teams available).

So 2 scenarios if BC loses (assuming Clemson gets into the playoff and the Big10 is the orange bowl opponent):

1) Duke loses to Miami (330 kickoff)

OR

2) NC State to beat North Carolina (7pm kickoff) which means Duke could win and both BC could get in

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Moving beyond the the total indifference that an invite to the Saniflush Toilet Bowl engenders, I started thinking about whether Dillon returns for another year. I mean, its not like the program is teed up for a conference championship run, and he's likely mindful of what another high ankle sprain (or worse) might do to his draft status. And who knows what a coaching change might mean in the equation.

I think he still has some maturing/learning he might benefit from...he has some idiosyncracies which I gotta' believe the NFL would like to change, like his tendency to want to spin/pirouette so often just before contact. He is, after all, a 250 lb. running back. I question how much more the current BC staff will aid in his development.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:57 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:Moving beyond the the total indifference that an invite to the Saniflush Toilet Bowl engenders, I started thinking about whether Dillon returns for another year. I mean, its not like the program is teed up for a conference championship run, and he's likely mindful of what another high ankle sprain (or worse) might do to his draft status. And who knows what a coaching change might mean in the equation.

I think he still has some maturing/learning he might benefit from...he has some idiosyncracies which I gotta' believe the NFL would like to change, like his tendency to want to spin/pirouette so often just before contact. He is, after all, a 250 lb. running back. I question how much more the current BC staff will aid in his development.

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was leaving but im not sure he's ready. he has dominant games against shitty teams but against legitimate teams he hasn't even broken 100 (Clemson, ND). maybe it's the result of the rest of the offense but ND didnt even stack the box and he struggled for yards. ive been disappointed with his performances this year compared to his freshman season. of course, if he can get 1st round draft money, then it's hard to argue against that.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:25 pm

BC will be a much better team next year. Only losing 1 OL and the defense couldn’t get any worse. The question is who is coaching them.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:BC will be a much better team next year. Only losing 1 OL and the defense couldn’t get any worse. The question is who is coaching them.

This is a highly debatable....without having reviewed the 2020 schedule, and counting "easy" wins, they have a big QB question (what a surprise!!) and a defense, moderately improved, will still be severely lacking. There was no indication that experience alone would be enough to salvage that dumpster fire.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm

There is nothing that Dillon gains by returning. He only adds more tread on overused tires.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:57 pm

dillon is not returning, nor should he
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:13 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:dillon is not returning, nor should he

Will he be a first rounder? Or early second?
If Daz isn’t here, and we don’t run him into the ground, I think he could benefit from a strong season. That said, I will be shocked if he stays.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:48 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

If Daz isn’t here, and we don’t run him into the ground, I think he could benefit from a strong season. That said, I will be shocked if he stays.

Your an idiot for thinking that.

He won’t be either a first or second rounder. But, whatever he is, it will be higher this year than next. And, it has nothing to do with the coach going forward.

This is a stupid conversation.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Your an idiot for thinking that.

He won’t be either a first or second rounder. But, whatever he is, it will be higher this year than next. And, it has nothing to do with the coach going forward.

This is a stupid conversation.

Doesn't guaranteed money drop off big time after the first 2 rounds? He's an articulate dude and prob could make something of himself without the wear-and-tear of the nfl. if you are going to get absolutely punished for a minimum of 16 games a week in the NFL, plus minicamps and all the other practices, and have a career that is what... 3 years on average for a typical back? then Its my opinion you better be getting paid well to do it especially with the possible long-term side effects that come with playing.

I agree the conversation is stupid only because I think he is going to leave anyway with Bailey and Garwo looking to take some of those carries next year (regardless of whether or not Daz is here to torment us another year). But I'm not quite sure I buy into the he would definitely get drafted higher this year over next though. I don't think you can assume that by any means unless you are privy to some inside info that I am not aware of.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:29 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:BC will be a much better team next year. Only losing 1 OL and the defense couldn’t get any worse. The question is who is coaching them.

Wait what?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Wait what?

Would 100% agree if it weren’t for the QB situation. Good o-line. Good skill players. This year’s D was almost dead last in the nation in returning production, so you’d have to think there will be SOME improvement. The QB problems are just not fixable short-term (i.e. next year) and will continue to hold us back.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:19 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Wait what?

Would 100% agree if it weren’t for the QB situation. Good o-line. Good skill players. This year’s D was almost dead last in the nation in returning production, so you’d have to think there will be SOME improvement. The QB problems are just not fixable short-term (i.e. next year) and will continue to hold us back.

Isaiah McDuffie at full strength/speed will make a difference.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Whatever happened with Sam Johnson at QB?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:54 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Whatever happened with Sam Johnson at QB?

Daz not playing him at all (especially given the new redshirt rules) is 100% completely unacceptable. I refuse to believe he is worse than Grosel.

Is there any hope of a late QB signee? I remember we were in on this kid.

https://247sports.com/Player/Demeatric- ... -46040013/
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:02 pm

It appears that the 5-7 teams are not done on a conference basis but rather a overall basis. I thought they had changed the rule but apparently not.
So,72 qualified teams for 78 bowl spots... 6 spots left.

APRs (strikethrough is qualified already or cannot reach 5 wins):

Air Force 997 (qualified)
Northwestern 996 (2-9)
Clemson 992 (qualified)

Duke 992
Navy 991 (qualified)
Washington 991 (qualified)
Vanderbilt 991(3-8)

BC 989

IN (72):

ACC (8): Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, Miami (FL), Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
American (7): Cincinnati, Memphis, Navy, SMU, Temple, Tulane, UCF
Big Ten (8): Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin
Big 12 (6): Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas
C-USA (8): Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, Western Kentucky
MAC (6): Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Miami (OH), Toledo, Western Michigan
Mountain West (7): Air Force, Boise State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, Utah State, Wyoming
Pac-12 (7): Arizona State, California, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Washington State, USC
SEC (8): Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M
Sun Belt (5): Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Louisiana
Independent (2): BYU, Notre Dame

POSSIBLE (12 plus BC):

Boston College (at Pittsburgh 330pm)
North Carolina (at NC State 7pm)
Michigan State (vs Maryland 330pm)
Nebraska (vs Iowa Friday 130pm)
TCU (vs West Virginia Friday 315pm)
Kent State (at EMU Friday 12pm)
Ohio (at Akron Tues 6pm)
Colorado (at Utah 530pm)
Oregon State (at Oregon 1pm)
Mississippi State (vs Ole Miss Thurs 630pm)
Troy (vs App State Friday 5pm)
UL Monroe (at UL @630)
Liberty (vs NM St @ 2)

Misc:

Duke (vs Miami 330pm)

Thus, BC needs 7 teams plus Duke or 8 teams (if duke wins) to lose to make a bowl.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Hansen, some people are going to tell you to shut up about this and they would be completely justified. But, to me, finishing with a losing record and sneaking into a shittier than usual bowl because of graduation rates is the most BC thing imaginable and the perfect send-off for the Hunts Hammer. Please keep us updated on a minute-by-minute basis.

hansen {l Wrote}:Liberty (vs NM St @ 2)

Our bowl fate is in Spazarelli's hands. ool
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Hansen, some people are going to tell you to shut up about this and they would be completely justified. But, to me, finishing with a losing record and sneaking into a shittier than usual bowl because of graduation rates is the most BC thing imaginable and the perfect send-off for the Hunts Hammer. Please keep us updated on a minute-by-minute basis.

hansen {l Wrote}:Liberty (vs NM St @ 2)

Our bowl fate is in Spazarelli's hands. ool

That combined with a potential elimination game at HEINZ field. it's like the universe is aligning.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:19 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:

This is a highly debatable....without having reviewed the 2020 schedule, and counting "easy" wins, they have a big QB question (what a surprise!!) and a defense, moderately improved, will still be severely lacking. There was no indication that experience alone would be enough to salvage that dumpster fire.

I'm calling that your debateable is debateable. Let's debate.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium