Notre Dame Weak

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Notre Dame Weak

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am

I desperately want to believe that the team rallys after FSU, had a great bye week of practice/rest, and shocks an average ND team but we know none of that is going to happen.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Re: Notre Dame Weak

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 am

zero expectation of a win, the defense just won't get stops and the offense won't be able to catch up and daz will fall to 1-37 against ranked teams (or whatever the number is up to now)

interested to see if the quit factor creeps in. we've seen it before under daz at the end of the season (cuse '18)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm

get smoked by ND, "shock the world" against pitt, beat a terrible team in a terrible bowl, 7-6
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:get smoked by ND, "shock the world" against pitt, beat a terrible team in a terrible bowl, 7-6

That would be so seven win Steve
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:24 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:get smoked by ND, "shock the world" against pitt, beat a terrible team in a terrible bowl, 7-6

Pitt playing for a place in ACC championship, so they should be primed.....I think 7 win Steve ain 't gonna make his ceiling this season.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:27 am

The ND QB will pick apart this defense and this game will not be very close.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:09 am

First 3:30 about BC.
Lol, Kelly has to answer questions about redshirting and recruiting during ND press conferences wtf.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:24 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Lol, Kelly has to answer questions about redshirting and recruiting during ND press conferences wtf.

those things are important at schools that want to compete for championships. not so important at bc where 6 wins and the poop bowl are considered a successful season.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Assuming Bailey is fully healthy...

I think Daz pulls this one out of his ass to get his sixth win. Opens up the playbook with plenty of trick plays and new looks on defense.

BC has historically played Notre Dame close — even some really bad BC teams over the years minus a couple times here or there — and I think this year will be no different. The team just seems to get up for the children of the corn for whatever reason.I think BC will do just enough on defense, Dillon and Bailey will have monster and big games respectively, and we win 34-30.

I realize this prediction is not logical but I just have a feeling. :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:34 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Assuming Bailey is fully healthy...

I think Daz pulls this one out of his ass to get his sixth win. Opens up the playbook with plenty of trick plays and new looks on defense.

BC has historically played Notre Dame close — even some really bad BC teams over the years minus a couple times here or there — and I think this year will be no different. The team just seems to get up for the children of the corn for whatever reason.I think BC will do just enough on defense, Dillon and Bailey will have monster and big games respectively, and we win 34-30.

no reason to put your lack of credibility at risk at this late date in the season.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:47 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:

no reason to put your lack of credibility at risk at this late date in the season.

Notre Dame is giving up greater than 4 yards per rush. I think they are ranked something like 50th in the category. Assuming Bailey and Dillon are 100%, I think that there will be yards/points to be had. Basically, it then comes down to whether the defense can tackle. it can’t get any worse than what it’s been so I’m thinking that combined with with the bye and some adjustments is just enough to keep the game close.

In addition, ND ranked 15th can’t really do enough to make the cotton bowl so not sure how much they have to play for at this point. I think BC will be hungrier.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:06 pm

game history:

1 September 15, 1975 Foxborough, MA #9 Notre Dame 17–3
2 December 29, 1983 Memphis, TN Notre Dame 19–18
3 November 7, 1987 South Bend, IN #9 Notre Dame 32–25
4 November 7, 1992 South Bend, IN #8 Notre Dame 54–7
5 November 20, 1993 South Bend, IN #12 Boston College 41–39
6 October 8, 1994 Chestnut Hill, MA Boston College 30–11
7 October 28, 1995 South Bend, IN #15 Notre Dame 20–10
8 November 9, 1996 Chestnut Hill, MA #19 Notre Dame 48–21
9 October 25, 1997 South Bend, IN Notre Dame 52–20
10 November 7, 1998 Chestnut Hill, MA #13 Notre Dame 31–26
11 November 20, 1999 South Bend, IN #25 Boston College 31–29
12 November 11, 2000 South Bend, IN #11 Notre Dame 28–16
13 October 27, 2001 Chestnut Hill, MA Boston College 21–17
14 November 2, 2002 South Bend, IN Boston College 14–7
15 October 25, 2003 Chestnut Hill, MA Boston College 27–25
16 October 23, 2004 South Bend, IN Boston College 24–23
17 October 13, 2007 South Bend, IN #4 Boston College 27–14
18 November 8, 2008 Chestnut Hill, MA Boston College 17–0
19 October 24, 2009 South Bend, IN Notre Dame 20–16
20 October 2, 2010 Chestnut Hill, MA Notre Dame 31–13
21 November 19, 2011 South Bend, IN #24 Notre Dame 16–14
22 November 10, 2012 Chestnut Hill, MA #4 Notre Dame† 21–6
23 November 21, 2015 Boston, MA #4 Notre Dame 19–16
24 September 16, 2017 Chestnut Hill, MA Notre Dame 49–20

3 losses of 14, 1, 7 in the 70/80s
4 Losses of 10, 27, 32, 5 in the 90s
3 Wins of 2, 19, 2 in the 90s
2 Losses of 12, 4 in the 00s
6 Wins of 4, 7, 2, 1, 13, 17 in the 00s
5 Losses of 18, 2, 15, 3, 29 in 10s

Average wins of 9 pts, Average loss of 12.5 points... so a bit bigger than my memory recollected but skewed by 2017 game which I had blocked out of my mind and the 1997 game which I vividly remember.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:21 pm

The 1996 game was right after the gambling "scandal" and half the team was suspended. I believe Tim Hasselbeck was the long snapper?
I don't remember the 1995 game at all. The 1994 game was the highlight of He Who Shall Not Be Named's tenure. Our D absolutely dominated them.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 pm

We are getting crushed. I don’t see ND punting in the game. Our defense just can’t stop them. Trying to calculate a win against them just sets you up to get more angry Saturday. I don’t care what they’re giving up per rush. They will have answers for us. We will not have answers for them.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:38 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:The 1996 game was right after the gambling "scandal" and half the team was suspended. I believe Tim Hasselbeck was the long snapper?
I don't remember the 1995 game at all. The 1994 game was the highlight of He Who Shall Not Be Named's tenure. Our D absolutely dominated them.

1995 game was very winnable.

Run game with Justice Smith was cooking.

Hartsell could not stop throwing the ball to the other team.

I don't know what happened to Hartsell but he was beyond terrible in 1995 after having a very decent 1994. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:44 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:The 1996 game was right after the gambling "scandal" and half the team was suspended. I believe Tim Hasselbeck was the long snapper?

You're right. I had totally forgotten that. The pittsburgh game was a Thursday night game and then we had Notre Dame 2 Saturdays later.
Other OOC opponents that year: Hawaii in Honolulu W 24-21, Michigan in Ann Arbor L 14-20, Navy at Chestnut Hill W 43-38.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:49 pm

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:44 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

Notre Dame is giving up greater than 4 yards per rush. I think they are ranked something like 50th in the category. Assuming Bailey and Dillon are 100%, I think that there will be yards/points to be had. Basically, it then comes down to whether the defense can tackle. it can’t get any worse than what it’s been so I’m thinking that combined with with the bye and some adjustments is just enough to keep the game close.

In addition, ND ranked 15th can’t really do enough to make the cotton bowl so not sure how much they have to play for at this point. I think BC will be hungrier.

Ah, if only history had any i.pact at all.....with a historical perspective in mind, this current BC defense is epically bad...this is a kind of game where BC could totally dominate the time of possession and lose by two or three scores.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 am

thanks for sharing that is a good read

kudos to him for keeping the offense moving post ab
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

Ah, if only history had any i.pact at all.....with a historical perspective in mind, this current BC defense is epically bad...this is a kind of game where BC could totally dominate the time of possession and lose by two or three scores.

Notre Dame's pedestrian rushing numbers are deceptive. Georgia, who lets face it, has a far superior offensive line, a comparable running back and far superior coaching, tried pounding the rock, got nowhere and was only able to win because of Jake Fromm's late passing and Brian Kelly's incompetence. Navy is one of the best running teams in the country and got nowhere until garbage time when they were down 52-10. Notre Dame's front seven is very good. Even with Okwara out (McShay and Kiper both say he will be a 1st rounder this year) they still have five or six guys in their rotation up front who will play on Sundays with Khalid Karim being projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year. On the other hand, Notre Dame's secondary is an atrocity against humanity. CB Avery Davis is still burning from the torching he received during the 15 minutes he substituted for an injured Julian Love during the Playoff Game against Clemson last year when the score went from 3-3 at the end of the 1st quarter to 30-3 by the time Love came back in five minutes into the 3rd quarter and Davis was victimized on all four TD passes. The other CB, Troy Pride Jr., is apparently one of the three fastest players in college football. Fortunately, that speed is only displayed in improbably running down receivers who were seemingly running in for easy touchdowns--the same receivers who just burned Pride because his situational awareness is flaming garbage and he routinely gets caught looking into the backfield, biting hard on a jab step, covering the wrong guy or simply drifting out of his position in the scheme, a vagabond defensive back with no particular place to go and nary a thought in his head. The safeties are slightly less terrible--they are actually pretty sure tacklers and good on run support--but Alohi Gilman has spent the season playing himself out of his pre-season All American status and converting his NFL draft stock from likely 2nd rounder to tenuously hanging onto 6th or 7th rounder status because he is an exceptional special teams cover guy and Jalen Eliot has played himself out of the NFL draft. The only good DB they have is Kyle Hamilton, a true freshman and a guy who NFL scouts are drooling over. Fortunately, despite the fact that he leads the team in INTs and has two pick sixes, Kelly only plays him in the nickel package because "freshman have to pay their dues."

And you don't have to be a good passer or have a strong arm to throw the ball on Notre Dame. Virginia Tech's QB (and it was their back up at that) can barely throw a ball but he chucked up fly balls to enough wide open receivers to almost win the game while their running game was help to 96 yards on 36 carries--with the QB accounting for 70+ of those yards. Bryce Perkins threw 334 yards on them while UVA rushed 29 times for 4 yards. In fact, Virginia probably would have won that game (they were winning at halftime), if ND's front seven didn't step it up and massacre Virginia's OL to the point they couldn't keep Perkins upright in the 2nd half (he was sacked 8 times and fumbled 4 times--including two fumbles returned for TDs, which was the difference in the game).

If we can keep Groesel upright, it does not matter that he has a pea shooter arm, our receivers will be open. Use the running game to keep their front seven from pinning back their ears (which is what happened to Virginia) and is something we can easily do. That's what Michigan did to them and to a lesser extent, USC in their close loss. While we don't have close to the receiver talent that either Michigan, and more so USC, possess, Virginia Tech and Virginia showed that even shitty receivers get open and once Clark Lea adjusts to cover for his abysmal secondary then gash them on the ground as USC and Michigan did.

In sum, we should be able to score points on them. With that said, I don't think we will be able to stop them at all which will be the difference between us losing 44-30 or something like that and USC's 30-27 loss. Then, you got to pray like hell that Narduzzi can keep it together enough to win the battle of Dago coaches.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Georgia, who lets face it, has a far superior offensive line, a comparable running back and far superior coaching, tried pounding the rock, got nowhere and was only able to win because of Jake Fromm's late passing and Brian Kelly's incompetence.

not sure kriby is far superior gameday tactician than daz fwiw. he's an amazing recruiter (maybe best hc recruiter around) but his action / record in close games is not good at all.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Georgia, who lets face it, has a far superior offensive line, a comparable running back and far superior coaching, tried pounding the rock, got nowhere and was only able to win because of Jake Fromm's late passing and Brian Kelly's incompetence.

not sure kriby is far superior gameday tactician than daz fwiw. he's an amazing recruiter (maybe best hc recruiter around) but his action / record in close games is not good at all.

That South Carolina game was a Daz level of disaster as far as in-game coaching
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 am

I thought Dick was a Notre Dame fan
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

You think he is that bad? I don't think he is great or special, but the South Carolina game aside, he seems to do alright. He completely out coached Kelly in the 3rd quarter of the ND-UGA game and while I have little respect for Kelly's coaching acumen, I think he is definitely better than Daz. He also made adjustments that baffled Dan Mullen and again, while I don't think Mullen is a coaching genius, I think he is better than Daz by a good margin.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:47 am

I would take Kelly over Daz in a heart beat. Maybe he could be the reverse Frank Leahy.

But does he like to crack the rock? That’s what I need to know.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:59 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

You think he is that bad? I don't think he is great or special, but the South Carolina game aside, he seems to do alright. He completely out coached Kelly in the 3rd quarter of the ND-UGA game and while I have little respect for Kelly's coaching acumen, I think he is definitely better than Daz. He also made adjustments that baffled Dan Mullen and again, while I don't think Mullen is a coaching genius, I think he is better than Daz by a good margin.

they don't play many close games given being in sec east but when they do it's usually ugly:
the fake punt last year in the sec championship game
blowing a 20-7 late 3q lead in the national championship to bama (checked the pbp, he ran 83% of the time on 1st down from when they went up 20-7 until they blew the lead)

guess the exception is the comeback against ou and baker in the rose bowl
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I thought Dick was a Notre Dame fan

From first hand knowledge he does want Backup College to win but is not terribly broken up should the Fighting French prevail.

Although there have been conflicting reports over the years concerning his loyalty during the infamous 2002 green jersey game.

One side said angrydick was wearing a green return to glory t-shirt, stated he wanted ND to win and tried to get on the field to tackle Josh Ott to stop him from scoring, the other side said, "no." :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Anyone know if they still make T-shirts for their home games? if so, What does this week's say about us?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium