ROUND TWO: EO Candidate Smackdown - Triskaidekaphobia

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Pick your FOUR favorites from the list

Poll ended at Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Dave Aranda - LSU Defensive Coordinator (43).
4%
Brett Beilema - Patriots defensive coordinator (49).
10%
Anthony Campanile - OSU Linebackers coach (37).
8%
Brian Daboll - Bills offensive coordinator (44).
1%
Luke Fickell - Cincinnati Head Coach (46).
13%
Al Golden - Lions linebacker coach (50).
10%
Jeff Hafley - OSU co-Defensive Coordinator (40).
7%
Steve Logan - Birmingham Iron OC (66).
6%
Joe Moorhead - Mississippi State head coach (46).
13%
Greg Roman - Ravens offensive coordinator (47).
11%
Bob Stoops - Head coach of the Dallas Renegades (59).
2%
Brent Venables - Clemson defensive coordinator (48).
4%
Al Washington - Ohio State linebackers coach (35).
11%

Total votes : 83

ROUND TWO: EO Candidate Smackdown - Triskaidekaphobia

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Now that we've separated the wheat from the chaff, time to see who the real favorites are. I'm thinking that picking 4 of the 13 will cut this list down to 5 or 6 clear EO faves. This version closes in 24 hours.

Dave Aranda - LSU Defensive Coordinator (43). Highest paid assistant in college. He was raised in California. He was college roommates with Tom Herman. Has previously been the DC at Hawaii, Utah St. and Wisconsin.
Brett Beilema - Patriots defensive coordinator (49). Former HC at Arkansas (29-34) and Wisconsin (68-24). Iowa grad who had precious stops as DC at Kansas State and Wisco.
Anthony Campanile - Michigan Linebackers coach (37). Former BC co-DC. Raised in Jersey, Rutgers grad. Coached at Bosco and RU. Focused on DBs at BC (which was a strength during his 3 years on the Heights).
Brian Daboll - Bills offensive coordinator (44). Spent a year as the OC for Alabama during one of the National Champ runs. Spent 4 years before that as a Tight Ends coach for the Pats. Grew-up in upstate NY.
Luke Fickell - Cincinnati Head Coach (46). 23-11 with Bearcats… 6-7 as interim HC at OSU. Spent entire life in Ohio and was an OSU for 15 years including 5 as DC.
Al Golden - Lions linebacker coach (50). Former HC at Miami (32-25) and Temple (27-34). RBC and PSU grad who spent 2 years on TOB’s first staff at BC.
Jeff Hafley - OSU co-Defensive Coordinator (40). St. Joes grad who was a known Jersey recruiter and DB coach at Pitt and RU. Spent time as a Secondary Coach with the Bucs, Browns and 49ers before coming back to college this season.
Steve Logan - Birmingham Iron OC (66). Former ECU head coach and Jags’ OC at BC. He was 69-58 in 11 seasons with the Pirates. Also RB coach for 3 seasons with Bucs and a QB coach with the Niners.
Joe Moorhead - Mississippi State head coach (46). Formerly the OC at PSU and UConn and head coach at Fordham. He is 12-10 with the Bulldogs and was 38-13 with the Rams.
Greg Roman - Ravens offensive coordinator (47). Raised in NJ and spent 2 years as an offensive assistant with Harbaugh’s Stanford. Was an OC with 49ers and Bills. Specialized in coaching TEs.
Bob Stoops - Head coach of the Dallas Renegades (59). Former HC at Oklahoma for 17 years (190-48). Was the DC at Kansas State and Florida earlier in his career.
Brent Venables - Clemson defensive coordinator (48). Has been the DC with the Tigers for 8 years and was the Sooners DC for 13 years. Broyles Award winner in 2016.
Al Washington - Ohio State linebackers coach (35). Former BC player who was an assistant for 5 years but has since spent time at Cincy and Michigan.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: ROUND TWO: EO Candidate Smackdown - Triskaidekaphobia

Postby BC923 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 pm

I would be surprised if the next head coach is on this list
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:20 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:I would be surprised if the next head coach is on this list

Knowing BC, I think Hafley, Campy, Fickell and Wash would all get looks. But, that’s likely it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:I would be surprised if the next head coach is on this list

Knowing BC, I think Hafley, Campy, Fickell and Wash would all get looks. But, that’s likely it.

Camp is at Michigan, not OSU. I would be fine with him being head coach.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:31 pm

I’m truly surprised at the support Camp, Fickell and Logan has gotten. I think Camp is devoid of experience... Fickell is another mid-major promotion... and Logan too old. It’s interesting to me that they are favorites of some folks where I view them among the 3 weakest options.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I’m truly surprised at the support Camp, Fickell and Logan has gotten. I think Camp is devoid of experience... Fickell is another mid-major promotion... and Logan too old. It’s interesting to me that they are favorites of some folks where I view them among the 3 weakest options.

Would Campanile come back to BC to be THE defensive coordinator?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I’m truly surprised at the support Camp, Fickell and Logan has gotten. I think Camp is devoid of experience... Fickell is another mid-major promotion... and Logan too old. It’s interesting to me that they are favorites of some folks where I view them among the 3 weakest options.

camp is someone that was very successful in his role here, would recruit like a maniac, has had exposure to baby rapists.

main question would be hiring of asst coaches on offensive side
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am

Logan can’t be serious. If things had gone better he’d be retiring as our head coach after this year.

Camp is probably a little green, but I think it can’t be overstated the miracles he worked with our defensive backs, a position that even on our best defenses were generally weak. People also love a recruiter. If he could find an experienced OC I think he could do well, but the assistants would be critical.

I think Fickell would do a good job. AAC is a good league, this year it might even be better than the ACC. Beyond that, plenty of schools in there have more commitment to football than the dregs of the ACC. He’s also Catholic with a bunch of kids, and for as much as we hate it, I think the Wednesday mass with Leahy does help the coach get more buy in from the admin.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 am

I assume whomever we (as EO) would select would be a good recruiter. That said, the HC position is just supposed to be the closer. You have to hire guys to go out there to identify talent and get them interested. So much of a successful head coach is contingent upon his ability to surround himself with a good staff. Then, he has to have the ability to let that staff coach and know when to interject himself. Pretty much the entire list are folks who have had some success on the recruiting front. Also, regarding Camp, while he did great with the DBs here... he also had a lot of talent to work with. That group had the most guys playing in the NFL.

I didn't vote for either, but I am very surprised that Daboll and Stoops haven't garnered more interest. From Stoops' crazy win percentage and Daboll's time with the Patriots and as Saban's best OC, I'd think folks would have been all over their candidacy... and that just hasn't happened (as they both barely made it to Round 2).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I assume whomever we (as EO) would select would be a good recruiter. That said, the HC position is just supposed to be the closer. You have to hire guys to go out there to identify talent and get them interested. So much of a successful head coach is contingent upon his ability to surround himself with a good staff. Then, he has to have the ability to let that staff coach and know when to interject himself. Pretty much the entire list are folks who have had some success on the recruiting front. Also, regarding Camp, while he did great with the DBs here... he also had a lot of talent to work with. That group had the most guys playing in the NFL.

I didn't vote for either, but I am very surprised that Daboll and Stoops haven't garnered more interest. From Stoops' crazy win percentage and Daboll's time with the Patriots and as Saban's best OC, I'd think folks would have been all over their candidacy... and that just hasn't happened (as they both barely made it to Round 2).

I just don’t think Stoops would be interested, seems like he’s happily in semi retirement being able to watch his kid play every week. Daboll and the NFL guys are probably underrated by fans because we don’t know which ones want to move to college. Much easier to forecast college coaches who want to move on or up.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:17 am

I can't get enthusiastic thinking about this. I am too used to being disappointed. I just know that Addazio will somehow split the last two games and get a bullshit bowl in Shreveport or Detroit or Buffalo or wherever and that will get him extended another year or two, kick the can down the road style. And none of this matters.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:54 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I just don’t think Stoops would be interested, seems like he’s happily in semi retirement being able to watch his kid play every week. Daboll and the NFL guys are probably underrated by fans because we don’t know which ones want to move to college. Much easier to forecast college coaches who want to move on or up.

As for Stoops... if Les Miles is interested in Kansas, Bob would be interested in BC. He's coaching in the XFL, so there is some desire left. That said, you raised a very legit question as to how engaged he would truly be. BC is a tough gig. Tougher than anything else he'd experience. He would have to show that he's willing to put in the time and effort needed (and not just use it as a part-time home away from Daniel Island).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:I just don’t think Stoops would be interested, seems like he’s happily in semi retirement being able to watch his kid play every week. Daboll and the NFL guys are probably underrated by fans because we don’t know which ones want to move to college. Much easier to forecast college coaches who want to move on or up.

As for Stoops... if Les Miles is interested in Kansas, Bob would be interested in BC. He's coaching in the XFL, so there is some desire left. That said, you raised a very legit question as to how engaged he would truly be. BC is a tough gig. Tougher than anything else he'd experience. He would have to show that he's willing to put in the time and effort needed (and not just use it as a part-time home away from Daniel Island).

I think if he had a real interest in getting back he’d be interested in BC, but from what I’ve heard he’s using the the XFL to keep busy in between trips back to Norman on Saturdays to watch his kid. Maybe that changes when he graduates, but everything I’ve heard and seen suggests he’s content for now. Certainly worth a run, but not clear he wants any college job at this point.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:57 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

Logan can’t be serious. If things had gone better he’d be retiring as our head coach after this year.

Camp is probably a little green, but I think it can’t be overstated the miracles he worked with our defensive backs, a position that even on our best defenses were generally weak. People also love a recruiter. If he could find an experienced OC I think he could do well, but the assistants would be critical.

I think Fickell would do a good job. AAC is a good league, this year it might even be better than the ACC. Beyond that, plenty of schools in there have more commitment to football than the dregs of the ACC. He’s also Catholic with a bunch of kids, and for as much as we hate it, I think the Wednesday mass with Leahy does help the coach get more buy in from the admin.

Fickell didn’t leave OSU to go to Cincy to then only become the coach at BC. Guys like that want to springboard to a bigger program. No chance he considers.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Luke Fickell would take the job in a heartbeat. I think he'd take pretty much any Power 5 job in a heartbeat... so it is faint praise to say that he'd take BC.

BTW... anyone garnering at least 10% is moving on to the next round.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:47 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Would Campanile come back to BC to be THE defensive coordinator?

Answer the question, cowards!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:53 pm

My list would be very different from everyone else's:

Chuck Pagano - Bears Def Coordinator - would be #1 on my list. NFL Winning % of 55%, which is HIGH for ex NFL guys. 59 years old. Spent 15 years in college. Unlikely to get another HC job there given the way they keep throwing jobs at young guys.
Troy Taylor - Sacramento State HC. Look at this guy's resume. Previously Utah OC. QB DEVELOPER!! played for the Jets for two years.
Jeff Hafley - he's a risk to me. But he's my #3, way ahead of the Bielema (too much crack the rock), Fickell (too much crack the rock), Schiano (overrated, but would be better than Daz) crowd

Next group :
Dave Fipp - Eagles Special Teams Coach, 8 years in college ball, started coaching career at Holy Cross, been a college DC
Chris Hewitt - Ravens DB coach, Super Bowl ring, 8 years in college, on Rutgers Schiano staff, played at Cincinnati, one year at ND, from NJ
Gary Kubiak - the guy obviously doesn't want an NFL HC job, but worth a gamble that he prefers college lifestyle. Only 2 years of college exp, but he would bring serious QB passing game cred to the program again. His HS stadium at St Pius X (Vrabel kid HS) in Houston is named after him.

The previous question:

Campanile - i don't get the obsession with him. But yes, he ABSOLUTELY would take the Defensive Coordinator position if offered. It's a total step up in a place he can fit in. What I don't get is why people would mention Campanile BEFORE mentioning Al Washington. But I'm not in a hurry on either.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium