Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. FSU - 11/9/2019

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. FSU - 11/9/2019

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:03 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Talent issue leading to scheme issue. The front 4 cannot get to the QB. Under any circumstances. So when we get tired of the QB picking us apart with no pressure we send 5. That means we play man coverage. Our “athletes” in the secondary cannot cover (or tackle for that matter) and that leads to big plays, yardage, scores. I like our linebacker unit but the rest is underperforming what you would expect for a Power 5 team.

Agreeance. I guess some can see the hidden talent that others cannot.

100% agree with scheme is the problem which is why I want Sheridan out yesterday. It's clear with our inability to tackle and defend the pass that we should NOT be playing man coverage (with a LB instead of a nickel corner of all things). Yesterday, on FSU's TD we were playing Cover 1. we missed a tackle and the guy got in space with the lone safety playing back and then juked him for a score. play a zone and blitz one of the defenders to get extra man to rush. maybe 5 guys rushing the QB might generate some pressure.

Spaz had some less talented defenses but playing a cover 2 found a way to generate some turnovers. I'd rather play cover 2 man but I dont think we have the talent right now. let's use the intelligence of our defensive players and force the opposing QBs to beat us with tough throws to the pockets of empty space. there are a lot of shitty QBs in college; make them beat us rather than us beating ourself.

Sheridan should be fired for now recognizing this. IMHO, a sign of a shitty coach is an inability to adapt to a situation.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:25 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:This game being a turf game for FSU says more about FSU than it does about BC.

FYI, the guy doesn't just clip a few "blades" of turf or whatever. You can see the turf getting pulled off the foundation by the wirecutters in this video.

https://twitter.com/EvanNoles/status/11 ... 8444726272

Apparently, every time they win on the road as an underdog they do this... at least the third time they've been an underdog to us on the road.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:36 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Talent issue leading to scheme issue. The front 4 cannot get to the QB. Under any circumstances. So when we get tired of the QB picking us apart with no pressure we send 5. That means we play man coverage. Our “athletes” in the secondary cannot cover (or tackle for that matter) and that leads to big plays, yardage, scores. I like our linebacker unit but the rest is underperforming what you would expect for a Power 5 team.

100% agree with scheme is the problem which is why I want Sheridan out yesterday.

Then you are not agreeing with me. Where is the ACC talent on this D?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Spaz’s cover 2 always had a DL better than this one. They got pressure on their own. That pressure is just absent this year. In fact, this is the worst DL in memory. Daz, because he couldn’t stand having less than 5 TE even moved a DE (Luchetti) from the two deep over to the offense. It’s like they’ve given up. Sheridan isn’t the answer, but he is trying to cook up a way to get pressure and that’s the blitz stuff. It’s clearly not working. So the choice becomes sit back and get picked apart or go blitz and get burned. The “blitz and play zone behind it” just gives more space for the receivers. It’s not an answer. No scheme will fix the front 4 this year.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:13 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

100% agree with scheme is the problem which is why I want Sheridan out yesterday.

Misunderstood what you wrote. There’s a define talent deficiency compared To last year but I don’t think Sheridan schematic adjustments are helping whatsoever.
Last edited by hansen on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:It's reached the point where Sparacio on the field on obvious passing downs is masochism. Some of these issues we don't even attempt to fix

It’s the above. I can’t really evaluate the talent when the above is occurring.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Spaz’s cover 2 always had a DL better than this one. They got pressure on their own. That pressure is just absent this year. In fact, this is the worst DL in memory. Daz, because he couldn’t stand having less than 5 TE even moved a DE (Luchetti) from the two deep over to the offense. It’s like they’ve given up. Sheridan isn’t the answer, but he is trying to cook up a way to get pressure and that’s the blitz stuff. It’s clearly not working. So the choice becomes sit back and get picked apart or go blitz and get burned. The “blitz and play zone behind it” just gives more space for the receivers. It’s not an answer. No scheme will fix the front 4 this year.

+5

We forget that :spaz3 had not one, but TWO defenses that were #1 in the country at stopping the run. I wonder if Spaz coached them up too? Or maybe, just maybe (don't really think I have to say this) the players were better?

You guys who think these players are ACC caliber (and they are losing because Daz can't coach) really need to give it up. It IS Addazio's fault and he should be canned, just not for the reasons the majority of you believe. But you are in too deep in your :bullshit and your PRIDE will NEVER permit you to admit that I am right in diagnosing the problem and you are wrong.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Misunderstood what you wrote. There’s a define talent deficiency compared
To last year but I don’t think Sheridan schematic adjustments are helping whatsoever.

Hansen, please just give it up. Admit the players suck and we can move on.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:02 am

IB has said so many dumb things on here I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he thinks we are protecting the players by defending their talent level. Meanwhile there are no players and none of their family members on this site.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:53 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:IB has said so many dumb things on here I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he thinks we are protecting the players by defending their talent level. Meanwhile there are no players and none of their family members on this site.
Look- it is natural to protect people, especially the young, from criticism. Think about the episode of King of Queens where Doug flunks his IPS driving exam and is forced to work on the loading dock for 3 months. His mother is visiting from Florida, and when she suspects that Doug has botched something she tries to find out what happened but Doug's friend Deacon and his boss at IPS Supervisor O'Boyle protect Doug so that she doesn't know how much he sucks as a driver. Well, BC has a lot of Dougs on the field, and this board is filled with Deacons and with Supervisor O'Boyle types. What we really need is more people like me and Mrs Heffernan.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 am

lnnocent Bystander {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:IB has said so many dumb things on here I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he thinks we are protecting the players by defending their talent level. Meanwhile there are no players and none of their family members on this site.
Look- it is natural to protect people, especially the young, from criticism. Think about the episode of King of Queens where Doug flunks his IPS driving exam and is forced to work on the loading dock for 3 months. His mother is visiting from Florida, and when she suspects that Doug has botched something she tries to find out what happened but Doug's friend Deacon and his boss at IPS Supervisor O'Boyle protect Doug so that she doesn't know how much he sucks as a driver. Well, BC has a lot of Dougs on the field, and this board is filled with Deacons and with Supervisor O'Boyle types. What we really need is more people like me and Mrs Heffernan.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}: But you are in too deep in your :bullshit and your PRIDE will NEVER permit you to admit that I am right in diagnosing the problem and you are wrong.

This is rich.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:38 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}: But you are in too deep in your :bullshit and your PRIDE will NEVER permit you to admit that I am right in diagnosing the problem and you are wrong.

This is rich.

The two best recruiting classes in the entire history of BC football led BC to consecutive ACC Championship games. Since then, zip. It's not rich. It's math.

It's all recruiting (or lack thereof.) Fuck everything else :angrychicken
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is rich.

The two best recruiting classes in the entire history of BC football led BC to consecutive ACC Championship games. Since then, zip. It's not rich. It's math.

Where have Florida State and Miami's recruiting classes gotten them recently?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is rich.

Nowhere. And you know why? Because (unlike Addazio) their coaches suck on game day. That is why FSU terminated their coach. He had the recruits, but no results.

Clemson had a top 7 class the last two years #1 high school QB in the country, they are looking at consecutive national championships. And Dabo is excellent on game day. Its all math, its all recruiting. If you can't recruit (and Addazio can't) you can't challenge the baby rapists no matter how good you coach on game day. Fuck everything else.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:10 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is rich.

Nowhere. And you know why? Because (unlike Addazio) their coaches suck on game day. That is why FSU terminated their coach. He had the recruits, but no results.

Clemson had a top 7 class the last two years #1 high school QB in the country, they are looking at consecutive national championships. And Dabo is excellent on game day. Its all math, its all recruiting. If you can't recruit (and Addazio can't) you can't challenge the baby rapists no matter how good you coach on game day. Fuck everything else.

So...it's ALL recruiting, except when it's not.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:59 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is rich.

It's not losers like Farrell assigning stars to recruiting, however. Your point is not your problem, it's the terrible evidence upon which you base your point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:36 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is rich.

Except nothing.

Recruiting is fundamental. This school that we both love (albeit perhaps for very different reasons) has not recruited well in 15 years. Its ALL recruiting. We need to hire a coach that can recruit. Do that first. THEN we can get all pissy and angry and frustrated with the coach when he HAS the really good ACC caliber players but still manages the annual WTF loss like :toby did. We were angry with Tom O'Brien when he lost because of what he accomplished off the field, an anger we never felt for Spaz or feel for Daz because we already know that these kids are probably giving us MORE than what we should be expecting of them.

Of course the players love Addazio. Of course they do. I would too if I were in their shoes. He gave many of them an opportunity that they were not given by any other power-5 school. Of course they love him. Of course they want to play their hearts out for him. Of course they would only say great things about this coach. He was the one who gave them the chance. I have no quarrel with what the players are doing. They keep their nose clean, they graduate, and they love the school. I just don't expect very much of them beyond 6 or 7 wins a season.

I have been passionately following this football program since a 5'7" QB from Natick was recruited. Its decades chickenman. Ask yourself this, when is the last time you were absolutely mortified with the results on the field because BC lost to a team that they had no business losing? I have felt that way many times. But I haven't felt that way in almost 10 years. And I am not going to get that feeling back until I know this school has hired a coach that can sell BC.

Its all recruiting. And we haven't had any of that in over a decade. I am so numb to this shit that my expectations of the program have been lowered.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:55 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is rich.

It's all recruiting

You lost whatever shred of credibility you might have had suggesting Addazio is a good game day coach.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:31 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is rich.

Except nothing.

Recruiting is fundamental. This school that we both love (albeit perhaps for very different reasons) has not recruited well in 15 years. Its ALL recruiting. We need to hire a coach that can recruit. Do that first. THEN we can get all pissy and angry and frustrated with the coach when he HAS the really good ACC caliber players but still manages the annual WTF loss like :toby did. We were angry with Tom O'Brien when he lost because of what he accomplished off the field, an anger we never felt for Spaz or feel for Daz because we already know that these kids are probably giving us MORE than what we should be expecting of them.

Of course the players love Addazio. Of course they do. I would too if I were in their shoes. He gave many of them an opportunity that they were not given by any other power-5 school. Of course they love him. Of course they want to play their hearts out for him. Of course they would only say great things about this coach. He was the one who gave them the chance. I have no quarrel with what the players are doing. They keep their nose clean, they graduate, and they love the school. I just don't expect very much of them beyond 6 or 7 wins a season.

I have been passionately following this football program since a 5'7" QB from Natick was recruited. Its decades chickenman. Ask yourself this, when is the last time you were absolutely mortified with the results on the field because BC lost to a team that they had no business losing? I have felt that way many times. But I haven't felt that way in almost 10 years. And I am not going to get that feeling back until I know this school has hired a coach that can sell BC.

Its all recruiting. And we haven't had any of that in over a decade. I am so numb to this shit that my expectations of the program have been lowered.

BC has had great recruiting and shitty coaching for a decade. Matt Milano starting at LB, Harold Landry, Will Harris, John Johnson, Justin Simmons ... these weren't bad players in HS, they were overlooked and then that fact was compounded by the fact that their choice of college was a self fulfilling prophesy - dip shits like you that run recruiting services assume that if they were BC signees, they were bad recruits.

Addazio is a tangibly terrible coach that struggles developing players. Shit, 3 years ago, Lamot was a star freshman LB and now he's suddenly terrible. This whole discussion is as dumb as buying property in the AZ desert with no water rights.

Addazio is an excellent recruiter that: (1) can't spot a QB for the life of him; (2) recruits too many TEs; and (3) fucked up not replacing the secondary dripping with NFL talent (Johnson, Harris, Yiadom, Moore), probably in part because he lost his secondary coach. What he is not is a coaching genius or a keen developer of talent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:03 pm

I can smell IB's keyboard keys burning up.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium