Interesting times ahead for Lawrence Academy

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Interesting times ahead for Lawrence Academy

Postby UK Eagle on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 am

UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Re: Interesting times ahead for Lawrence Academy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm

They just forfeited their final game. What happened to that program?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Skidmark on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:17 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:They just forfeited their final game. What happened to that program?

They hired Jason Swepson... Disaster of a head coach.
Skidmark
n00b

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:17 am

Really remarkable story. Paul Z can’t get a job in D1 football so he goes to LA and makes them into an ISL powerhouse. He still can’t get a D1 job so he quits and goes to the business world. They hire Swepson, who was part of the TOBias inner circle and accordingly was a long time BC and NC State assistant before failing miserably as HC at Elon (CAA FCS) and getting canned after 3 years. He was then bumping around various affirmative action slots within the NFL. He takes over the powerhouse built basically from scratch by a guy who was judged not good enough for a D1 coaching slot and in one season the program (despite having a roster stocked with a few kids who will play D1 and a few more who will play at various levels of 1AA) implodes the whole thing to the depths it was sitting at when Paul Z took over.

I miss the fights HJS and I would have with SFO back in the day over how bad Swepson was at coaching football. I believe the Coach Chimp character was born during one of those arguments. Good times.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Really remarkable story. Paul Z can’t get a job in D1 football so he goes to LA and makes them into an ISL powerhouse. He still can’t get a D1 job so he quits and goes to the business world. They hire Swepson, who was part of the TOBias inner circle and accordingly was a long time BC and NC State assistant before failing miserably as HC at Elon (CAA FCS) and getting canned after 3 years. He was then bumping around various affirmative action slots within the NFL. He takes over the powerhouse built basically from scratch by a guy who was judged not good enough for a D1 coaching slot and in one season the program (despite having a roster stocked with a few kids who will play D1 and a few more who will play at various levels of 1AA) implodes the whole thing to the depths it was sitting at when Paul Z took over.

I miss the fights HJS and I would have with SFO back in the day over how bad Swepson was at coaching football. I believe the Coach Chimp character was born during one of those arguments. Good times.

Except half of this story is 100% wrong...
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am

How so?

Please answer the following questions to the best of your limited abilities:

With respect to Swepson:

1. Was or was Swepson not a member of The Supply Officer’s inner circle?
2. Did he not go from a long time assistant under Tobias at both BC and NC State to the HC job at Elon?
3. Did he post a 10-24 record at Elon and get the boot after three seasons?
4. Did he hold positions with several NFL teams through the Bill Walsh Minority Coaching Fellowship between his firing from Elon and his hiring at Lawrence Academy (in addition to brief stops at MIT and New Haven)?
5. Did he take over a Lawrence Academy program that had won 3 straight NEPSCAC bowl games and at least a share of 4 straight titles?
6. Is the current program under his leadership cratering and forfeiting games—something they did before Paul Z’s hiring?

With respect to Paul Z:

1. Did he note in a Boston Globe article announcing his hiring at Lawrence Academy that when he completed his GA position at BC he could not get solid D1 coaching offers and BC could not find a place on staff for him either?
2. Did he take over a program at Lawrence Academy that had cratered under Mike Taylor and as previously noted, over a seven year tenure turn Lawrence Academy into the best program in ISL with four straight league titles and 3 straight bowl wins?

I’ll wait on your answer.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:34 pm

This should be fun. The man from Quebec is literally the only poster here with actual BC inside info that checks out.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium