2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BC923 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:45 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:deion sanders to fsu. i hope this happens.

FSU is a glorious train wreck. A neighbor down in Captiva is a big booster and he tells me that the entire Athletic Department is on the verge of economic collapse. The booster fund is completely depleted, the athletic budget basically begged the boosters for a massive cash infusion just to keep the department running last year and the football attendance/season ticket holders is down massively--exacerbating the already disastrous financial outlook. The Taggert firing and the money it is going to take to pay him off is basically going to leave them--financially speaking--at the bottom of a crater. They haven't even figured out how to pay for a new appropriate coach. The fact is, that it is going to take five years, at a minimum, to clean up this superfund-sized disaster. Oh, and in addition to all this, the state is giving them nothing towards the athletic program and is currently looking to right size the bloated administration (which is actually a smart and sensible policy) so while they are busy shooting expensive and worthless school administrators they have to be circumspect about athletic spending.

Florida State should also be a warning that the college football arms race has gotten to the point where very few schools will be able to participate. Building a new, state of the art practice facility every twenty years is unsustainable, particularly as coaching salaries rise and everyone who wants to keep up is also forced to hire an army of analysts and younger fans increasingly prefer to watch from home (now that tv coverage is basically universally available for P5 conferences. The entire economic model is under pressure because of technology. My guess is Florida State is just the first to whom this happens. I expect they will be followed by some of the shittier and poorer state schools in the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC.

It was also a teaching college for women until relatively recently and so doesn’t have nearly the money pool of comparably sized state schools. It’s not a sleeping giant, it’s a school that’s had some good coaches with proximity to talent, on and off the field.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:

FSU is a glorious train wreck. A neighbor down in Captiva is a big booster and he tells me that the entire Athletic Department is on the verge of economic collapse. The booster fund is completely depleted, the athletic budget basically begged the boosters for a massive cash infusion just to keep the department running last year and the football attendance/season ticket holders is down massively--exacerbating the already disastrous financial outlook. The Taggert firing and the money it is going to take to pay him off is basically going to leave them--financially speaking--at the bottom of a crater. They haven't even figured out how to pay for a new appropriate coach. The fact is, that it is going to take five years, at a minimum, to clean up this superfund-sized disaster. Oh, and in addition to all this, the state is giving them nothing towards the athletic program and is currently looking to right size the bloated administration (which is actually a smart and sensible policy) so while they are busy shooting expensive and worthless school administrators they have to be circumspect about athletic spending.

Florida State should also be a warning that the college football arms race has gotten to the point where very few schools will be able to participate. Building a new, state of the art practice facility every twenty years is unsustainable, particularly as coaching salaries rise and everyone who wants to keep up is also forced to hire an army of analysts and younger fans increasingly prefer to watch from home (now that tv coverage is basically universally available for P5 conferences. The entire economic model is under pressure because of technology. My guess is Florida State is just the first to whom this happens. I expect they will be followed by some of the shittier and poorer state schools in the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC.

It was also a teaching college for women until relatively recently and so doesn’t have nearly the money pool of comparably sized state schools. It’s not a sleeping giant, it’s a school that’s had some good coaches with proximity to talent, on and off the field.

First... Taggart's buyout was funded via donations. It will not see the FSU bottomline. That said, donor money is not a bottomless pit. For every dollar spent on the buyout is one less dollar to be used for other projects (in the never-ending arms race).
Second... if FSU's financial situation is truly in such dire straits, I will note that the Big 10 would happily waive dollars in front of them (ala Maryland). That said, the Big Ten's business model of never-ending cable dollars has bommeranged. And, their going-forward projections look nothing like they did pre-cord-cutter-movement.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

First... Taggart's buyout was funded via donations. It will not see the FSU bottomline. That said, donor money is not a bottomless pit. For every dollar spent on the buyout is one less dollar to be used for other projects (in the never-ending arms race).
Second... if FSU's financial situation is truly in such dire straits, I will note that the Big 10 would happily waive dollars in front of them (ala Maryland). That said, the Big Ten's business model of never-ending cable dollars has bommeranged. And, their going-forward projections look nothing like they did pre-cord-cutter-movement.

Exactly, I have heard rumors that Iowa and Michigan State are feeling a great deal of economic pressure. Purdue would be in the same boat, but Mitch Daniels is the best college president in the country and has ruthlessly right sized the staffing at his university and as such they are on sound economic footing despite the fact that upon further review, Jeff Brohm is not a wunderkind and, in fact, sucks. I am certain you will see similar stories at Mizzou, Mississippi State and Ole Miss, as well as West Virginia and Iowa State. There are even rumblings that Cal's Athletic Department has no cash and is a mess, although that may be more the result of incompetent administration within the UC system in general and the flagship school in particular.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:20 am

Wasn’t Taggart’s buyout 17 million? That’s a huge mistake on their part regardless of who paid it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:That doesn't sound outlandish. I assume the current salary for the position is half of that.

May as well have paid Don Brown that and kept him.

my assumption is that Harbaugh et al rolled up with several suitcases of $$$ and gave Don Brown an offer he couldn't refuse. same with Campanile, imo.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Wasn’t Taggart’s buyout 17 million? That’s a huge mistake on their part regardless of who paid it.

Agreed, let him F up one more year. You are FSU, you are still getting the top recruits, just fire the coordinators.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:50 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

All things considered, FSU is still a Top 10 job based on location and support (historically). I'd rank as follows:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

Clemson just outside top 10.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:21 pm

In addition to the $20 MM buyout for Taggart and staff, they also paid his $3 MM to oregon to buy him out from there + $1.5 MM to USF from his earlier buyout
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:01 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

All things considered, FSU is still a Top 10 job based on location and support (historically). I'd rank as follows:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

This list is from 1984.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

This list is from 1984.

No, that one would look like this:

1. Oklahoma
2. Nebraska
3. Notre Dame
4. Penn St.
5. Michigan
6. Ohio St.
7. Alabama
8. Texas
9. Miami
10. Florida
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

I know that college football on the West Coast doesn't have the Southeast or Mid-West intensity, but I would have Southern California and Oregon at #9 and #10.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:37 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:All things considered, FSU is still a Top 10 job based on location and support (historically). I'd rank as follows:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

wait what?

i'm not sure nd is a top 10 job right now. with being independent and the 4 team playoff, they have to go 12-0 to be included. their admission requirements, buffed up from what they really are, are still more stringent than the sec state schools where you could get a corpse in. that plus with population demographics you're going to have to recruit a ton of people to a fucking cornfield in indiana
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Texas isn't a top 20 job.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:All things considered, FSU is still a Top 10 job based on location and support (historically). I'd rank as follows:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

wait what?

i'm not sure nd is a top 10 job right now. with being independent and the 4 team playoff, they have to go 12-0 to be included. their admission requirements, buffed up from what they really are, are still more stringent than the sec state schools where you could get a corpse in. that plus with population demographics you're going to have to recruit a ton of people to a fucking cornfield in indiana

ND is the best job in college football. Do you think for even a second that tOSU, Bama, Clemson, USC or Oklahoma would tolerate the number of shit-the-bed games that Kelly has produced? Especially after building a football-only facility that can only be described as a palace (when he already had a facility in the Loftus Center was that was probably a top-10 football facility to begin with. How would those programs feel about losses to Tulsa, South Florida, Navy (x3), Duke, etc. after investing a $400 million upgrade to the already iconic stadium that included getting rid of the natural grass field and adding an obnoxious Jumbotron at the coach’s demand and over the objections of a majority of the alumni. The fact that even a mediocrity like Kelly can get the school into the BCS championship and the playoff in ten years is a pretty good indication that the independent status is not a big barrier to entry.

We should all get as much and produce as little as Brian Kelly without any repercussions. Oh yeah, I also forgot—would anyone at any of the other schools outside or Saban or Dabo, survive a 4-8 season (that was preceded by three very mediocre years). Nope. Notre Dame used to be a coach killer type job, but now it has all of the resources and opportunities without the pressure or expectations or alumni pressure.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:24 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

wait what?

Their athletic department makes so much money they can include actual gold in their helmet paint. They can also easily recruit 5 stars from anywhere in the country and any conference would take them if they want to make the leap. And they don't necessarily have to go undefeated depending on how everything shakes out.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:39 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

wait what?

Their athletic department makes so much money they can include actual gold in their helmet paint. They can also easily recruit 5 stars from anywhere in the country and any conference would take them if they want to make the leap. And they don't necessarily have to go undefeated depending on how everything shakes out.

Anyone they recruit becomes a 5 star, no space.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

wait what?

Let me rephrase for those who apply strict construction to message board statements: they have no problem getting commitments from players they want
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:50 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. Michigan
8. Ohio St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St.

wait what?

Let me rephrase for those who apply strict construction to message board statements: they have no problem getting commitments from players they want

They sucked for 30 years and are a paper tiger now. They have plenty of problems getting actual good players. They get lots of 5 stars though.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 pm

I know the dumb shit whale pants get off thinking BC plays up to the level of ND but when one of the faux top 20 ND squads of the last 10 years struggles with 2-9 Jeff Smith led BC, you know all those 5 stars might be a fraud.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I know the dumb shit whale pants get off thinking BC plays up to the level of ND but when one of the faux top 20 ND squads of the last 10 years struggles with 2-9 Jeff Smith led BC, you know all those 5 stars might be a fraud.

I think they’ve beaten BC like 8 straight times. And that 3-9 BC team played everybody close because their defense was stellar. Largest margin of defeat was 17 points.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I know the dumb shit whale pants get off thinking BC plays up to the level of ND but when one of the faux top 20 ND squads of the last 10 years struggles with 2-9 Jeff Smith led BC, you know all those 5 stars might be a fraud.

I think they’ve beaten BC like 8 straight times. And that 3-9 BC team played everybody close because their defense was stellar. Largest margin of defeat was 17 points.

That BC team played dogshit opponents
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Not really, because they are still sending a lot of guys to the NFL—in the top 10 in that regard—and according to most scouts, the absolute best offensive line talent in the league. Now you could assert that they do a piss poor job developing the talent they bring in, but objectively they are bringing in as much talent as anyone outside of Alabama.

There was an interesting discussion on the NFL Network about Notre Dame’s train rape at the hands of Alabama in the 2012 BCS. Kelly has been shouting to the high heavens that he had far less talent, but objectively speaking, based on NFL careers, they had far and away the two best offensive linemen, far and away the better tight end, the better running back (largely because Eddie Lacy ate himself out of the league in a couple of years), the best defensive lineman and the better QB (a guy who made the CFL vs a guy who never played a down in either the NFL or CFL). Alabama had a better defensive backfield and the receivers and linebackers were basically a draw because nobody from either team did much professionally. The conclusion was—and I think it is fair—is that Kelly is a good program builder but not a good game planner and a pretty terrible game day coach.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 pm

Not really, because they are still sending a lot of guys to the NFL—in the top 10 in that regard—and according to most scouts, the absolute best offensive line talent in the league. Now you could assert that they do a piss poor job developing the talent they bring in, but objectively they are bringing in as much talent as anyone outside of Alabama.

There was an interesting discussion on the NFL Network about Notre Dame’s train rape at the hands of Alabama in the 2012 BCS. Kelly has been shouting to the high heavens that he had far less talent, but objectively speaking, based on NFL careers, they had far and away the two best offensive linemen, far and away the better tight end, the better running back (largely because Eddie Lacy ate himself out of the league in a couple of years), the best defensive lineman and the better QB (a guy who made the CFL vs a guy who never played a down in either the NFL or CFL). Alabama had a better defensive backfield and the receivers and linebackers were basically a draw because nobody from either team did much professionally. The conclusion was—and I think it is fair—is that Kelly is a good program builder but not a good game planner and a pretty terrible game day coach.

Other than the all pro guard and Will Fuller, ND hasn't really sent shit to the NFL.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Some mediocre slow TEs like Rudolph I guess.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:02 pm

The fat overrated DT for the Steelers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:02 pm

Donut thief Golden Tate, lol.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 pm

The slow safety for the Vikings.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm

You are drunk Teddy. Go home and sober up.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:You are drunk Teddy. Go home and sober up.

I'm home, sober and none of the Harrison Smith's I've named are good.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Rick Mirer.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium