2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Joe Moorhead is not coming to BC. Now you can talk about the Next candidate that is not coming.
BC is an upgrade from Wake. Contracts are broken all of the time by coaches. Clawson’s record is impressive at rebuilding programs. He has a QB that is going to be tough to stop this year. If he can get Wake to 8-9 wins he will get offers to leave. That’s the most difficult program in the ACC to be successful at.

Go Eagles!

Clawson is not coming here, he would see it as a lateral move.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Would Fickell be in the mix? Does the Jarmond/OSU connection help or get in the way?

He went .500 with Ohio St
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 pm

I think coaching candidates fall into a few general categories. There are the career assistants who finally get there shot (TOB and Spaz). There are the out-of-no-where hot-shots who are dying to prove what they can do (Jags and Coughlin). There are the mid-major types who are looking to take the next step (Daz). And there are the retreads who were at one point on the top but whose star has lost some luster through a misstep (a route BC has never attempted).

I have always thought that the ambitious hot shot or retread were the best options for a school like BC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think coaching candidates fall into a few general categories. There are the career assistants who finally get there shot (TOB and Spaz). There are the out-of-no-where hot-shots who are dying to prove what they can do (Jags and Coughlin). There are the mid-major types who are looking to take the next step (Daz). And there are the retreads who were at one point on the top but whose star has lost some luster through a misstep (a route BC has never attempted).

I have always thought that the ambitious hot shot or retread were the best options for a school like BC.

I generally agree with this but lets not go overboard. Jags wasn't a hot shot, he was OC for the Packers for one year and didn't call the plays that year.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:14 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I generally agree with this but lets not go overboard. Jags wasn't a hot shot, he was OC for the Packers for one year and didn't call the plays that year.

He was an outta nowhere candidate... just like Coughlin who was a WR coach who wasn’t calling plays. Jags accession from TOB’s OL coach to Green Bay OC was almost as meteoritic as his post-BC fall.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:31 am

I think we are in a position where an up and comer with interesting ideas could do well here. It probably wouldn’t have been the right move post Spaz, but I think the program is in a place where you can take a shot on a high upside guy.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:...just like Coughlin who was a WR coach who wasn’t calling plays.

during the Coughlin yrs, was that his playbook, or OC Gary Crowton's? They could run the ball and throw it all over the field.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:37 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:How is this an HJS coaching thread without Schiano?

Or Al Golden... or Bill O’Brien... or Brian Flores... or Matt Patricia... all 4 of whom are likely looking for new jobs this winter.

Since this one is for real, and since Marty Moose has proven to be the same boring bureaucrat as his predecessors, I don’t think it’s worth the emotion to pretend that BC will make a stunningly good hire.

At this point, I'll take almost anyone. All your choices sound good to me. But unless I am mistaken, Jarmond gave Daz a contract extension 7 months ago so the school would be on the hook for a few more years at full salary. I don't think the BOT will allow Jarmond to terminate the man he just extended. But I don't know.....

His contract was extended to 2022 but I believe his buyout was not changed meaning if he got fired after this year he would only be owed 1 year.

This is accurate re: buyout. A guy who sits next to me at stadium says he heard from a fairly reliable source that it is an “extension in name only”, done simply for recruiting and to financially protect BC. Very little, if anything, was changed with compensation and Addazio was told basically anything under 8 wins will be it this year.

While I heard the same thing financially, regarding on field who the fuck knows at this stage

I really want to believe that BCSUPERFAN22 knows what he is talking about and that we can trust his "inside information." I really want to believe that all of you guys who have heard it from "reliable sources" that if Addazio doesn't win 8 this year, he is gone. I want to believe that because after BC loses to Wake (coin flip at best) they are not likely winning 8. That said, I still want the team to win games and if it came down to the end of the season and BC is 7-4 and playing their last regular season game, I am still going to root for the team to win even if it means we are stuck with Addazio.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:54 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:...just like Coughlin who was a WR coach who wasn’t calling plays.

during the Coughlin yrs, was that his playbook, or OC Gary Crowton's? They could run the ball and throw it all over the field.

Pretty much what you saw when he was with the Giants... Run-heavy offense with reliance on pass catching TEs.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:

Pretty much what you saw when he was with the Giants... Run-heavy offense with reliance on pass catching TEs.

So basically the same offense as now but with a QB who can throw the ball?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:35 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:

So basically the same offense as now but with a QB who can throw the ball?

Pretty much...but, that was 25 years ago... and, we had a significantly better OL and DL.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:12 pm

but with NYG, he had WRs that could make some clutch catches: Manningham, Smith, etc. when Coughlin was here, he made sure Laro would be a freight train blocking for Darnell, David Green or whoever else at tailback. had enough WRs making decent catches here and there (@PSU and other games).
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:06 pm

BC WRs after Kelvin Marin and before WIll Blackmon (I'm reaching) were just awful. The WRs on this team are better than they have been in decades, they just have no QB.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC WRs after Kelvin Marin and before WIll Blackmon (I'm reaching) were just awful. The WRs on this team are better than they have been in decades, they just have no QB.

It’s this.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:57 am

Coughlin’s Offense was unpredictable. He could run or pass on 3rd and long and get the first down. His offense had multiple formations and always had a player in motion to disrupt the defense. His offense was nothing like this stiff we’re stuck with.

I can’t watch another year of this clown. The program has not improved. Yes, we beat the bad teams, but we lose to peer programs a lot and we never beat the top programs. If this is what BC is only capable of then cut the ticket prices to $25 sideline, $15 end zone and $1,000 to park for the season on campus.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC WRs after Kelvin Marin and before WIll Blackmon (I'm reaching) were just awful. The WRs on this team are better than they have been in decades, they just have no QB.

Wide receivers not named Kelvin Martin and Will Blackman:

Alex Amidon, Rich Gunnell, Brandon Robinson, Brian Brennon, Darren Flutie, Tom Waddle, Gerard Phelan, Jeff Smith
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:28 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

It’s this.

With Cannon, Boyd, Mitchell, etc., the 1993 team had a very solid receiving corps. Still, it’s the QB, and the horrible coach.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Coughlin’s Offense was unpredictable. He could run or pass on 3rd and long and get the first down. His offense had multiple formations and always had a player in motion to disrupt the defense. His offense was nothing like this stiff we’re stuck with.

This isn’t remotely true.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:13 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
With Cannon, Boyd, Mitchell, etc., the 1993 team had a very solid receiving corps..

Coughlin's 2nd yr wasn't bad either.

Huge win at Penn St. Triple TE run plays. 2/3 WR formations with Mitchell, 2 minute offense. Shirley, Campbell, Dukes getting carries. Lotsa motion, multiple sets. Thank God for youtube to watch some of the classics. Gimme that offense any fucking day.
Last edited by MF73-Eleazar on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:24 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:

Alex Amidon, Rich Gunnell, Brandon Robinson, Brian Brennon, Darren Flutie, Tom Waddle, Gerard Phelan, Jeff Smith

The ones you named that were good predate Martin.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:47 am

As someone who always hated the hire, I admit that Daz has left the program in better shape than he found it. I also admit he was able to bring in some very good assistants (an oft-underlooked talent of a head coach). He recruited well, was excellent with the media and promoted the “tough and physical” identity that generally fits the program. He also gets credit for doing an excellent job scrambling to 7-wins in his first 2 seasons.

His inability to move beyond that is due to his failures as a game day coach (time management, delegation to assistants, halftime adjustments). It is also due to his inability to develop a QB. No one is ever perfect, but these shortcomings were evident in Year One and obvious by Year Three. It is Year Seven and they remain as problematic as ever. If Daz had any self-awareness or humility, he would have had an opportunity to be our version of Dabo. He just needed to do what Dabo did... let his assistants run the show while he remained the public cheerleader.

I think the program is in a better spot right now to what Jags had in his second year. Ideally, I think the next coach is someone who will be here 5 years and then leave for a much better job. However, I have no confidence that Marty would be able to pull that off.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:04 pm

OT but Ash out at Rutgers, rumor has it Schiano going back. Would be interesting to see if Campanile goes back to run D / recruit (his brother is interim HC)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:33 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:OT but Ash out at Rutgers, rumor has it Schiano going back. Would be interesting to see if Campanile goes back to run D / recruit (his brother is interim HC)

Do you not realize that Campy is on Michigan’s staff? Or, are you somehow suggesting that he is going to be able to leave Michigan midseason to help out his brother who is the interim head coach?

I also heard at the RU game that, while the fans desperately want Schiano back, there is many in the administration who want someone with an offensive focus. Their overall first choice would be Moorehead.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:OT but Ash out at Rutgers, rumor has it Schiano going back. Would be interesting to see if Campanile goes back to run D / recruit (his brother is interim HC)

Do you not realize that Campy is on Michigan’s staff? Or, are you somehow suggesting that he is going to be able to leave Michigan midseason to help out his brother who is the interim head coach?

I also heard at the RU game that, while the fans desperately want Schiano back, there is many in the administration who want someone with an offensive focus. Their overall first choice would be Moorehead.

I wasn't clear, I meant next season as Schiano is filling his staff
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:37 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:

Without question I'll take Flowers and White over Amidon, Gunnell, and Robinson. I would put Jeff Smith in the same category as Amidon/Gunnell/Robinson.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:41 pm

I would be in favor of a mid-season firing. I credit Addazio to upgrading the talent at BC from when Spaz left and leaving BC in a better position than he found it, but it's clear he is a max 7 win coach. This season might not even get to 7. However, regardless of how BC ends the season, the BC job will be much more attractive than when we fired Spaz. There is plenty of talent both young and old and we have upgraded our facilities making it easier to recruit for the next coach.

Many of these are huge risks, but I have not included anyone that I think has a 0% chance of coming (I don't see Meyer, who is twice retired coaching anywhere). Anyone in the C/B and A categories would be an upgrade over Addazio and I would be happy with.

F hires: Significant risk being worse than Addazio:
*Don Brown - This is a terrible idea. He is a good DC, but how many years does he even have left before he retires? He has no Power 5 or NFL head coaching experience which is necessary if BC is going to hire someone 60+.
*Mike Elko
*Paul Peterson: Hire on staff, but should wait a few years then re-evaluate before considering for BC HC.
*Sean Gleeson: Hire on staff, but should wait a few years then re-evaluate before considering for BC HC.
*Gabe Infante: Hire on staff, but should wait a few years then re-evaluate before considering for BC HC.

C/B hire: Inspired hire but huge risk
*Jeff Hafley
*Anthony Campanile
*Al Washington
*Butch Jones
*Sonny Dykes
*Bret Bielema: Alvarez was a pain to coach under. Alvarez micromanages football worse than Gene.
*Brian Flores: I'm torn, I want to give this an A hire as he is a BC grad. The problem is a lack of HC experience with all of his experience in the NFL. That being said, I would be very happy with this hire as he would have huge upside, but definitely high risk.
*Luke Fickell: I would be very happy with this hire and there is a reasonable chance that we could land him. He isn't getting the OSU head coaching job in the near future with Ryan Day there, and being successful at a power 5 school like BC would help him immensely.

A hire:
*Al Golden
*Bill O'Brien
*Dave Clawson: BC should absolutely target Clawson. Wake has a much weaker football history than BC, plus recruiting is much harder at Wake and Clawson has managed to do a pretty good job finding talent particularly at the QB position. He is a northeast guy and would do very well at BC. The concern is not trying to get him to come over Wake, but that he'll likely get offers more attractive than BC.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Clawson is not an upgrade from Daz.
Despite having significant advantages offensively he coached Wake to not take advantage. We only lost by 3 as a result. Don’t understand the love for a guy Daz has a lifetime winning percentage against.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:02 pm

wake is a more difficult job than here
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:wake is a more difficult job than here

Better recruiting area

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Clawson looks good on paper, but I was not impressed with his play calling on Sat. Al Golden is anything but Golden. Brian Flores is a disaster at Miami so far.

Here we go again, Don Brown is better than any candidate this board has mentioned that will actually accept the job. Focus on that second part, “that will actually take the job”. That rules out BOB, who would clearly be the best choice. Brown would give us 5-7 years and make the program very attractive to actually get a big hire when he retires. We know that Brown already built a great defense at BC. I have no doubt that he would run a far better offense than Daz. He knows BC and he is actively recruiting the northeast.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium