2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:16 am

We went from
to

So, the next coach is likely among the following…
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by HJS on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:My guess it will be Big Al and I would be fine with that. Bring back Camp as the DC and--this is obviously a fantasy--bring Paul Pete in as the OC. I have no idea if they'd be any good as a coaching staff--although I expect they would recruit well--but at least I wouldn't hate the football coach coming in, which would be a first since Jags left.

I absolutely hate the above idea. They're all fantastic recruiters, but it's a huge question mark as a head coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:My guess it will be Big Al and I would be fine with that. Bring back Camp as the DC and--this is obviously a fantasy--bring Paul Pete in as the OC. I have no idea if they'd be any good as a coaching staff--although I expect they would recruit well--but at least I wouldn't hate the football coach coming in, which would be a first since Jags left.

I absolutely hate the above idea. They're all fantastic recruiters, but it's a huge question mark as a head coach.

Given what we have been handed the last two hires, I think it is a risk worth taking. What is the downside? That we become a completely irrelevant program crashing to the bottom of a pathetic conference? We are already on that glide path. Besides which, do you expect BC to go out and pay big dollars for some grand slam hire? We know that ain't happening. IIRC, neither Jags nor Tom Coughlin had any head coaching experience. Neither did TOB for that matter, and while I despise the Supply Officer, he was objectively better than either of the last two Wops.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:24 pm

I've said it before: Gabe Infante. I know it is still early in his coaching career but he's going to be the real deal. Get him now while he's cheap.

https://owlsports.com/staff.aspx?staff=1909
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I've said it before: Gabe Infante. I know it is still early in his coaching career but he's going to be the real deal. Get him now while he's cheap.

You forgot to use red font.

Dick's suggestion is solid - at the very least, the losses would not be any more numerous and the games would be wildly entertaining. Combine that with excellent recruiting and that's basically a ranked team. Ship it.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Given what we have been handed the last two hires, I think it is a risk worth taking. What is the downside? That we become a completely irrelevant program crashing to the bottom of a pathetic conference? We are already on that glide path. Besides which, do you expect BC to go out and pay big dollars for some grand slam hire? We know that ain't happening. IIRC, neither Jags nor Tom Coughlin had any head coaching experience. Neither did TOB for that matter, and while I despise the Supply Officer, he was objectively better than either of the last two Wops.

Why can't BC go out and pay $3.5 million for a HC? It's more or less what they're paying Addazio now.

Basketball is mostly about talent, and if you wanted to hire some ace recruiter to replace JC then fine. Football has a huge coaching component.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I've said it before: Gabe Infante. I know it is still early in his coaching career but he's going to be the real deal. Get him now while he's cheap.

Trying to figure out why I know that name:

"is a licensed attorney in the state of New Jersey."
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Al Washington is not even a coordinator yet. Don't think he is ready. Might as well suggest Steve Belichick also.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Why can't BC go out and pay $3.5 million for a HC? It's more or less what they're paying Addazio now.

Basketball is mostly about talent, and if you wanted to hire some ace recruiter to replace JC then fine. Football has a huge coaching component.

Mostly agree. College basketball is almost entirely about talent. Watching my alma mater losing to Kansas in the NCAA tournament in March is evidence of that. Bill Coen is great, but there was nothing he could have done to change that outcome.

That said, college football is still pretty much all about talent. The 2007 BC team was far-and-away the most "talented" team Boston College has ever put on the football field. They were a c-nt hair away from going undefeated. Had the FSU game NOT been played in a hurricane (the way the first 50 minutes of the game with VPI was) I think they could have run the table. There were NO talent deficiencies on that team. Both lines were very good (defensive line was excellent), line backers were great, two very capable and talented senior tailbacks, 2 legit SEC talented wideouts, and a future NFL All-Pro QB. They could have matched up with any team in the SEC or the Big-Ten.

The problem with BC's team IS talent. This team doesn't have much. There are few play makers but just not enough of them. In that sense, BC suffers from the same problem Duke suffers (in football at least.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:21 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Mostly agree. College basketball is almost entirely about talent. Watching my alma mater losing to Kansas in the NCAA tournament in March is evidence of that. Bill Coen is great, but there was nothing he could have done to change that outcome.

That said, college football is still pretty much all about talent. The 2007 BC team was far-and-away the most "talented" team Boston College has ever put on the football field. They were a c-nt hair away from going undefeated. Had the FSU game NOT been played in a hurricane (the way the first 50 minutes of the game with VPI was) I think they could have run the table. There were NO talent deficiencies on that team. Both lines were very good (defensive line was excellent), line backers were great, two very capable and talented senior tailbacks, 2 legit SEC talented wideouts, and a future NFL All-Pro QB. They could have matched up with any team in the SEC or the Big-Ten.

The problem with BC's team IS talent. This team doesn't have much. There are few play makers but just not enough of them. In that sense, BC suffers from the same problem Duke suffers (in football at least.)

There’s plenty of talent on this team albeit less than last year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:26 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The FSU game wasn’t played in a hurricane and BC got absolutely bitch slapped by Maryland after that so, no, they weren’t a baby maker hair away from going undefeated in 07
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby flakes on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:32 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Al Washington is not even a coordinator yet. Don't think he is ready. Might as well suggest Steve Belichick also.

What's the deal with Carmichael? Can't imagine the job interests him that much (even with his Mass ties), but I'd personally prefer an offensive mind (not that he's revolutionary or anything). He can also actually make the claim that he's worked with a hall of fame QB, unlike that poser Loeffler. Seems like strong NFL experience would go a long way with recruiting.

I just don't know that we'll ever get the true up and coming coaches so we'll just have to be creative.

What's Jim Mora Jr. up to?
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. Im fine with the proposal. Epstein is dumb.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The FSU game wasn’t played in a hurricane and BC got absolutely bitch slapped by Maryland after that so, no, they weren’t a baby maker hair away from going undefeated in 07

If you don't think the FSU game was played in a Nor'Easter you weren't there. It let up in time for Ryan's pick six though.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:20 pm

I'm always amazed at some of the knowledge you guys have of football coaches/coaching trees/prospective head coaches. Not my area. I know someone mentioned Bielema. I'm interested what thoughts are on him.

He's got the head coaching experience in two large conferences. He's getting some serious football knowledge from the master in Foxboro in year 2 currently so my thoughts are he can do a better job this time around. He's only 49. He won a lot of games at Wisconsin, which always seemed like a red and white Big Ten version of BC with large OL and a good run game (is this a downside at this point?).

Downsides? Not a Northeast guy so not knowledgeable on the recruiting areas here. Can be mitigated with Northeast assistants? Open up areas to the Midwest?

Thoughts?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

If you don't think the FSU game was played in a Nor'Easter you weren't there. It let up in time for Ryan's pick six though.

i was too busy laughing at the assertion that rich gunnel & brandon robinson were 'legit sec talented'
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It was barely doing anything past the halfway mark of the first quarter.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

i was too busy laughing at the assertion that rich gunnel & brandon robinson were 'legit sec talented'

Don't forget Rich Gunnell (as a Senior) burned a couple 5-star recruits into the end zone when Spaz played Pete Carroll's USC Trojans in whatever silly toilet bowl that was in Dec of 2009. He was very good, an outstanding recruit for BC. He was extremely "undervalued" by the recruiting market and TOBy got him. Good for BC.

Those are the kind of wideouts I wish Addazio could recruit.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 am

I know that BC doesn't fire coaches midseason, but if Spaz loses the next three, I think Gunnell should be named Interim during the bye week in order to help out an alum's resume.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:24 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Don't forget Rich Gunnell (as a Senior) burned a couple 5-star recruits into the end zone when Spaz played Pete Carroll's USC Trojans in whatever silly toilet bowl that was in Dec of 2009. He was very good, an outstanding recruit for BC. He was extremely "undervalued" by the recruiting market and TOBy got him. Good for BC.

Those are the kind of wideouts I wish Addazio could recruit.

The best part is how sincerely Costco believes this to be true.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:43 am

Talent is not BC's current problem. BC had more talent than Kansas.

IB is a liar and a moron. Love Gunnell but come on. We haven't had a WR drafted in 30 years.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:33 am

Imagine making the point we don’t recruit wide receivers like we used to and using Rich Gunnell as the example instead of Will Blackmon (Tobias positioning aside)
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:I'm always amazed at some of the knowledge you guys have of football coaches/coaching trees/prospective head coaches. Not my area. I know someone mentioned Bielema. I'm interested what thoughts are on him.

He would absolutely be someone I would consider. He was one of the best college coaches in the country while at Wisco. Barry Alvarez's coaching tree generally does well. That said... he was terrible at Arkansas. But, that just might be a situation where he was a terrible fit for a program where it is impossible to build a consistent winner. He's also gain so much weight since becoming a head coach that it looks like he is a walking heart attack. Moreover, he seems like a weird dude who has a Jags-like penchant for making dumb career decisions. All that said, I would happily take him... have him win big a few years... and then leave for his alma mater when Kirk Ferentz dies.

But, it ain't gonna happen. I think Marty is all about Marty. Taking a big name like Bielema (another knock is I don't know how to spell his stupid name) adds pressure. If he flames out, Marty looks idiotic for grabbing a guy who couldn't win in the SEC. An up-and-comer buys Marty time and gives cover if he fails. Again, these aren't my thoughts as a fan who just wants to win. I'm looking at the search through the guys conducting it. Besides... do you really see BB as someone who would kowtow to Fr. Bill?

For the record (while this is what BC will specifically not do), I am partial to giving the job to someone: (a) who is looking for a second chance (Bielema, Schiano, Golden, Helfrich), (b) someone who is a long-standing NFL assistant (Mike Groh, Greg Roman, Brian Schottenheimer, Pete Carmichael Jr., Brian Daboll), or (c) a young hot-shot workaholic like Kellen Moore or Shane Waldron.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:I'm always amazed at some of the knowledge you guys have of football coaches/coaching trees/prospective head coaches. Not my area. I know someone mentioned Bielema. I'm interested what thoughts are on him.

He would absolutely be someone I would consider. He was one of the best college coaches in the country while at Wisco. Barry Alvarez's coaching tree generally does well. That said... he was terrible at Arkansas. But, that just might be a situation where he was a terrible fit for a program where it is impossible to build a consistent winner. He's also gain so much weight since becoming a head coach that it looks like he is a walking heart attack. Moreover, he seems like a weird dude who has a Jags-like penchant for making dumb career decisions. All that said, I would happily take him... have him win big a few years... and then leave for his alma mater when Kirk Ferentz dies.

But, it ain't gonna happen. I think Marty is all about Marty. Taking a big name like Bielema (another knock is I don't know how to spell his stupid name) adds pressure. If he flames out, Marty looks idiotic for grabbing a guy who couldn't win in the SEC. An up-and-comer buys Marty time and gives cover if he fails. Again, these aren't my thoughts as a fan who just wants to win. I'm looking at the search through the guys conducting it. Besides... do you really see BB as someone who would kowtow to Fr. Bill?

For the record (while this is what BC will specifically not do), I am partial to giving the job to someone: (a) who is looking for a second chance (Bielema, Schiano, Golden, Helfrich), (b) someone who is a long-standing NFL assistant (Mike Groh, Greg Roman, Brian Schottenheimer, Pete Carmichael Jr., Brian Daboll), or (c) a young hot-shot workaholic like Kellen Moore or Shane Waldron.

If you assume that the new guy will be the opposite of the old guy then you’d expect someone like (c) or maybe (b), but with Leahy there I don’t think you can count on that. That being said I like those names
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:07 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Imagine making the point we don’t recruit wide receivers like we used to and using Rich Gunnell as the example instead of Will Blackmon (Tobias positioning aside)

Will Blackmon was better than Rich Gunnell. So what is your point?

All I know is Gunnell made clutch plays, caught every catchable pass thrown to him (no dropsies), won games for the team, and he went (toe to toe) with the 5-star defensive backs. In that sense, I was thrilled with him as a BC recruit and was comfortable with him against any cover corner in college football. And he just happened to be on the roster the one year BC had the most talented players they ever had (2007.)

If you want to say Will Blackmon, Kiwanuka, Trueblood, and their ilk were the best recruits BC ever had, fine. Say the 2004 or maybe the 2005 roster was the most talented BC has ever had (because those teams also included Matt Ryan.) Either way, TOBy still gets all the credit and these rosters are substantially more talented than what we have today.

I really don't see what the big argument here is. I don't hear any of you disputing my claim of the 2007 roster being the most talented. I think we all know that it was.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:11 am

Re: reconciling Bielema at Arkansas...

First, there is not equivalency between SEC opportunities. Certain schools have profound advantages over others despite being able to be lumped together in categories like 'large land-grant southern state schools', [UGA / UF / Alabama / Auburn / LSU / TAMU] > [UT] > [MSU / Ole Miss / Vandy / USC / Missou] > Arkansas. Yes, Vandy and South Carolina over Arkansas.

Second, historically, Arkansas is a place that the south didn't really want and the midwest didn't really want it, either. Arkansas was the only non-TX school in the Southwest Conf (and actually did well there, leveraging outsider status and zero admissions standards into excellent recruiting), never joined its closest geography in the Big 8, and is now a provincial outpost on the frontier in the SEC.

Third, Arkansas is the state that West Virginia and Mississippi make fun of - its completely ass-backwards fucked from the ground up in profound ways that are incomprehensible to anyone who is from somewhere that is within the most distant, dim orbit of normal. I've driven across it multiple times in multiple directions and the place is a decrepit, sun-parched tooth-rattling pothole of redneckery. Having any degree of success at anything in Arkansas is basically amazing.

Fourth, Kristi Malzahn.

In other words, Arkansas is not the best lens to assess Bielema's coaching. Whatever it is, is an outlier.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:18 am

Think that SEC pecking order is fair, though would move Miss St down to the arkansas level

UT would be in the first group if not for the territorial advantages of texas / louisianna / bama; they just consistently shoot themselves in the foot

vandy sort of needs to be its own category given the requirement for literate players

i'd be fine w bilema but iwnh, my guess is it's a hotshot assistant that marty j knows or another spin at the mac
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:34 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Talent is not BC's current problem. BC had more talent than Kansas.

IB is a liar and a moron. Love Gunnell but come on. We haven't had a WR drafted in 30 years.

Atlanta I am not going to call you a liar or a moron but you are wrong. Talent IS BC's problem. Now I am going to get into the weeds and explain (with detail) as to WHY you are wrong, something you would not do for me. Did you watch the game vs Kansas? I did. It made me sick. And after a while, I stopped feeling sick and came to terms with what was happening.

Tell me, how talented are these players when the defensive backs and the linebackers are too slow at the point of attack to actually close to the ball carrier until long after he has gotten the first down? Go back and look at the thread when we were all discussing the Kansas game, our players have no speed at all. None. I think one commenter (wasn't me) said he thought the players were playing like their feet were in cement. If you aren't quick enough to react to the ball carrier (and they aren't) then exactly how "talented" are they really?

Remember last season? Do you remember the wins vs Temple and Wake Forest? Well I do. Even in victory, I had great discomfort because the defense simply couldn't get off the field. It appeared to me that the only way the defense got off the field was when Temple or Wake scored OR the defense intercepted a pass or recovered a fumble. That was it. And that is because they were too slow at the point of attack to make a play to prevent the first down. Atlanta, nothing has changed in a year. They had slow players last year, they are slower this year. Vs VPI, the 2019 team needed 5 turnovers to win by a touchdown because the defense wasn't going to get off the field any other way. :shrug

Don't you (or any of you) tell me that this team is talented. I don't want to hear it. BC has had talent. I remember the first year BC came into the ACC. I remember. I was there watching those games. I remember the game vs Clemson in 2005 (in Clemson I'll add.) Clemson couldn't stay ON the field in 2005 to score any points. They had (basically) no drives. That is because BC had so many "three-and-outs" defensively. Now the game was very close (because BC couldn't stay on the field either), but BC wound up with the win (their first in ACC play if I remember correctly.) And that was because their players were talented, speedy at the point of attack. They closed and made tackles. They had genuine talent in 2005. This 2019 team does not.

I'll close with one last remark. 1999 (wow 20 years ago, I'm fucking old) was the first year BC returned to a Bowl since the gambling scandal. I believe it was Toby's third year as coach, Chris Hovan's last year with the team. We were excited because we "thought" we had a real coach. Not only did Toby give us our first winning season in years (8-3), BC beat Notre Dame again. That was huge. Then the Bowl game vs 6-5 Colorado. Then we got our asses kicked up and down the field. It was embarrassing. And when interviewed, Toby was brutally candid and honest with the media. He coldly and calculatingly said the players were too slow. That's it. They were simply too slow to be on the field vs a 6-5 Colorado. Thus began the Toby we all grew to loathe and hate, the man who spent the next 5 years bitching to the alumni and the media about how he had to scour the Northeast looking for faster players, complaining all the time that he spent all his free time recruiting. And damn it, that is just not fair to him or his family! Atlanta, that 1999 roster is probably more talented than the players we now have 20 years later.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Think that SEC pecking order is fair, though would move Miss St down to the arkansas level

UT would be in the first group if not for the territorial advantages of texas / louisianna / bama; they just consistently shoot themselves in the foot

vandy sort of needs to be its own category given the requirement for literate players

i'd be fine w bilema but iwnh, my guess is it's a hotshot assistant that marty j knows or another spin at the mac

UT's weirdness springs from the state itself - Tennessee is really three states: mountainous east, pastoral central, weird freaking west (aka toothless neon-cross-on-a-holler-worshipping hill people, snotty bless-your-heart cornbread witherspoons, and weirdos who choose to live above a fault line that once caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards).

For example, Memphis is like Baltimore had a baby with East St Louis, gave birth to this unwanted child in a truck stop, then sent it downriver in a basket and got back to the important business of swilling crank; meanwhile the baby was found and raised by Boss Crump. In a hundred or so miles north-to-south of Central TN, you can find hardcore southerners and Ohio transplants with vastly different worldviews. Means in-state recruiting efforts are often like being an outsider in your own state.

UT's issues over the past several years have been institutional - when the whole apparatus is aligned, you get a Fulmer/Manning/Martin scenario. Interestingly, there was a period where Fulmer was in play to consider a move to BC, via his relationship with Gene. All else aside, that would have been an interesting and atypical hire.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am

Bielsma is not the solution. He is apparently a raging asshole who has burned so many personal relationships that my guess is he is going to be an NFL Assistant Lifer going forward. Alvarez despises him and the general feeling at Wisconsin is that Alvarez built the system and created the formula for success and Bielsma simply milked it until he could leverage his not fucking up Alvarez system into some huge SEC dollars—which he did.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium