IT'S LONG PAST TIME TO DUMP WASHED UP JERRY YORK

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

IT'S LONG PAST TIME TO DUMP WASHED UP JERRY YORK

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am

How many years has it been since the last championship? I can't even remember, it's been so long. How many brilliant recruiting classes must go to waste? The man has been squeaking by with smoke and mirrors for years now. Well, the smoke has dissipated and what the mirror shows is very revealing. Lost his fastball? York doesn't even have a changeup any more. At BC, we demand excellence from our coaches. Time to dump old man York and restore glory to the Heights.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Re: IT'S LONG PAST TIME TO DUMP WASHED UP JERRY YORK

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 am

This bomber ironic shtick needs some work. Maybe type in all green capital letters.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:59 pm

I prefer the twitter character ND Trump who vows to fire “Fat Brian Kelly” and “Make USC pay for it.” This schtick could work, but it needs to be fleshed out more.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby James Kilmeady on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:26 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This bomber ironic shtick needs some work. Maybe type in all green capital letters.
THIS GUY IS UNFIT TO LOOSEN THE LACES ON MY 'ROOS.
Oh they'll make you or break you but they'll never forsake you...
James Kilmeady
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:33 pm

0-3 to start the season. Not too fucking good. And fucking Quinnipiac? When was the last time Jerry beat a non-conference opponent? Might be time for the dog track.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:31 pm

0-4. Shut out for the last two games. Last night’s effort was disgraceful.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:52 pm

I changed by not changing at all
Small town predicts my fate
Perhaps that's what no one wants to see
I just want to scream hello
My God it's been so long
Never dreamed you'd return
But now here you are and here I am
Hearts and thoughts they fade away

:ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:45 am

Dorian's Red Hand and The Beak. Of course, back then, Jerry was Coach Champion instead of Coach Have Not Won a Non-Conference Game Since November of 2016 (ASU for those keeping score at home).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:16 am

What’s Wrong with Boston College Hockey?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:40 pm

And now we are 0-5 and a loser to Mack. It is time to seriously ask what the succession plan looks like. This iteration of the coaching staff is abysmal.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby blueline on Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:42 am

They should be able to reach .500 with UNH and Bentley.

Beating Bentley would be their first non conference win in ages (( :angrychicken
blueline
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:And now we are 0-5 and a loser to Mack. It is time to seriously ask what the succession plan looks like. This iteration of the coaching staff is abysmal.

Mike Cavanaugh. His departure seems to be when things started going sideways. Now, without Brown, we seem to be in full fail mode.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Myles on Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:44 pm

I just had lunch here in Purgatory with Snooks, Lennie, & good old Father Don Monan (yeah, most people thought he'd have gone straight to heaven, but he made some awful hires in the Theology dept that he has to work off here). Anyway, their consensus is that York was told to stop recruiting one-and-dones, as it ruins the overall graduation rate. He is now forced to offer only to kids who he believes will stay all 4 years.

One more thing from this side of the silver cord: The B1G and ND are going to destroy college hockey as we know it. A facilities war is already under way that the likes of St Cloud St, Merrimack or Providence can never take part in. In fact the only D1 hockey school east of the Ohio river capable of competing at such a level is BC, and we don't see them making the commitments required to compete with the B1G.

By the way-- Snooks keeps saying "Why doesn't York just get more kids from Arlington or Southie? The American boy can play with these kids from foreign countries like Canada or Lithuania or California."
Endless Myles
n00b

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Good win over the Rat Dogs. Woll player well and we dominated the last 30 minutes of the game. With that said, the Hockey East is fucking awful and so is BU.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am

York extended through '21-22
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:York extended through '21-22

Jarmond has made it very clear he will not be hiring a new hockey coach unless York retires (and it will be York making that call). :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby blueline on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:45 pm

I recall York speaking to the booster club and he was just sugar coating the poor play and bad coaching.

He was being positive but we don't see it on the ice and the season is almost over

I know some members recently at the Beanpot were not happy with his contract renew
blueline
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:15 pm

He is in the Dean Smith stage. Difference is Dean Smith sucked his whole career, not just the end.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby blueline on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:York extended through '21-22

Jarmond has made it very clear he will not be hiring a new hockey coach unless York retires (and it will be York making that call). :ace

I don't think Jarmond has the power or the balls to fire any coach not performing to expectations.

Addazio is horrible, Christian is horrible but JY can go when he wants because he has the only program that wins anything in recent times. 2012 NCAA and other things like conference titles
blueline
n00b

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:09 pm

I can’t believe I am living in a world where UMASS has the Hobey, is playing for the national championship and we are three years from our last appearance in the NCAAs and looking like we will stretch the drought to four years. The simulation we are all living in has gone horribly wrong.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I can’t believe I am living in a world where UMASS has the Hobey, is playing for the national championship and we are three years from our last appearance in the NCAAs and looking like we will stretch the drought to four years. The simulation we are all living in has gone horribly wrong.

Only 3 drafted players on UMass’ roster (to BC’s 12). BC’s average age is only about 6 mo. younger than UMass & UMD, so I think I have this right - stop recruiting too many prima donnas from the USNTDP, and get some hard-nosed kids that value a degree.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm

York elected to hockey hall of fame today
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 pm

So was Guy Carbonneau because he played in Montreal for a while.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:52 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So was Guy Carbonneau because he played in Montreal for a while.

I dunno.1500+ NHL games (1318 regular season, 231 playoff games), 3 time Cup Winner, Captain of a Cup winner, premiere defensive forward in the League from the late 80s through the mid-to-late 90s, 3 time Selke winner (Gainey has the most at 4), 670 or so regular season points to go along with another 100 or so playoff points. Basically, he’s the poor man’s Bob Gainey and Gainey was a first ballot HoFer. If Gainey is a 1st ballot HoFer, then I see no reason to get exercised about Carbonneau getting in after 15 years, especially when you consider that the NHL Hall of Fame is really the Hall of Very Good—and Carbonneau was certainly very good. Is he any worse then Borje Salming, Dick Duff, Michel Goulet, Bernie Federko, Clark Gilles, Sergei Zubov, etc. I don’t think so.

Now you could argue that the NHL Hall of Fame does not have high enough standards and you’d be correct, but Carbonneau is just a symptom of that issue.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:12 am

Less than 0.5 PPG when he played in an era where it was easy as shit to score is pretty brutal. Considering it took Linden’s forever and Turgeon isn’t in, this seemed like an odd choice heavily influenced by the frogs up north.

And how dare you forget that Bergeron is tied with Gainey (probably for good).
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 am

Forgot about Bergeron. I get your point with Carbonneau. As I said, if the NHL had the same standards as MLB and the NFL, there is no way he gets in. With that said, I think the reason he got in before Turgeon is two-fold: (1) He did his best work in the playoffs. He is credited with completely shutting Gretzky down in the 93 Cup finals after he was given the assignment after Game 1. At that point, Gretzky was unstoppable and had basically beaten Toronto by himself in the Conference Finals (It is widely acknowledged that Gretzky’s Game 7 of that series is the single greatest playoff performance of all time). Likewise, when he won in Dallas, he apparently shut down Sakic in the conference final to get to the Cup and was masterful in the Finals as well. Being great when it counts most matters a lot. (2) Turgeon is an unmitigated pussy. From the “Punch Up in Piestany at the 87 WJC Finals where he was the only guy on either team who did not get off the bench for the fight, to the Oo La La sissiness for which he was derided in Buffalo, he just has that rep. Not his fault, but he is best known to the extent he is remembered at all, as getting cheap shotted by Dale Hunter. He’ll get in at some point, but being a pussy does not help—and they really do still hate him in Canada for the 87 WJC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby blueline on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:52 pm

This season will be his test to see if he still has it. New recruits and a talented goalie in Spencer Knight.
blueline
n00b

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:36 pm

blueline {l Wrote}:This season will be his test to see if he still has it. New recruits and a talented goalie in Spencer Knight.

This could be a fun year. I don’t think there’s any team predicted to run away with Hockey East.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Jerry York never expected to be a Hall of Famer. But that’s where the BC hockey coach is headed now

By Fluto Shinzawa 7h ago 9
The best part of Jerry York’s work day happens at the beginning of every practice.

At around 3:15 p.m, the Boston College coach’s blades touch Conte Forum’s freshly made ice. To York, a clean sheet stands for a new start, a platform for achievement and an opportunity for young men to be better people and players than they were before.

“You step on it and it’s fresh ice,” York said with his signature smile. “It’s a brand new day.”

On Nov. 18, York will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. York will be recognized for his accomplishments, which include the most wins by a Division 1 coach (1,072), five NCAA titles and nine Beanpot championships. York has never been to the Yonge St. home of the Hall of Fame.

Perhaps the most remarkable characteristic of the Watertown native is his unshakeable enthusiasm for what is to come. By definition, the Hall of Fame recognizes prior achievement. But the 74-year-old York remains more energetic about the possibilities of tomorrow than the certainties of yesterday.

On a hot day in August, before classes had begun, York looked at a flurry of industrial activity from the window of his third-floor office at Conte Forum. Bulldozers were ripping up the footprint of land that used to house The Plex, BC’s student recreation center. The school has yet to determine the plot’s next occupant.

York mused about a hockey rink. It would allow his players to vacate the arena his team shares with four others: women’s hockey, women’s basketball, men’s basketball and volleyball.

Such infrastructure projects are not approved, funded and built overnight. Yet York dreams about coaching in such a facility. That it would be years in the making is not his concern.

‘It’s a robo-call’
The news, delivered on June 25, produced nothing but smiles around the sport.

“I felt, needless to say, not just very, very happy for him, but happy that they really got it right,” Vegas Golden Knights president of hockey operations George McPhee, who played for York at Bowling Green, said of the Hall of Fame’s decision. “Because he has been so good for the game, so good for college hockey and so good for so many young men. He taught them the right way to play. But more importantly, he taught them the right way to live and carry themselves.”

Ironically, the news that everybody expected caught its recipient by surprise.

On the day that Guy Carbonneau, Vaclav Nedomansky, Jim Rutherford, Hayley Wickenheiser and Sergei Zubov waited for career-affirming calls, York ignored the buzz of his phone and the unknown number it flashed. York was working, studying the whiteboard in his office alongside assistant Brendan Buckley.

“Just let it go, Buck,” York said. “It’s a robo-call.”

By now, York has erred in answering dubious calls. He owes taxes. The government has opened an investigation into his finances. His son is in jail and needs money. York does not like to repeat mistakes.

“Then it rings again,” York recalled. “I says, ‘Buck, just forget about it. I’ll put it in my pocket.’ So then it rings again. No voicemail.”

An irritated York relented.

“Jerry,” the caller said.

“Yes,” York replied.

“This is J.D.,” came the response in the brassy, singular voice of John Davidson. “I’ve got Lanny McDonald on the phone.”

York had no idea why Davidson was calling. A month earlier, Davidson had been named president of the New York Rangers. The team employs Greg Brown, one of York’s former coaches, as an assistant to David Quinn.

“Treat Greg Brown well, would you please?” York asked Davidson.

“No, no,” Davidson answered. “We’re calling for the Hall of Fame.”

Only then did York understand the nature of the call.

“I was stunned,” York said. “Then I Googled and started looking at some of the people in there. I said, ‘Oh, wow. This is …’ Then the flood of people calling and texting to congratulate me, that night and the next day, it was kind of neat.”

York is the fifth NCAA coach to earn the honor. He joins Herb Brooks (Minnesota), Bob Johnson (Wisconsin), Lou Lamoriello (Providence) and John Mariucci (Minnesota).

The thing about York’s company, however, is their NHL connections; all four coached, if only briefly, in the NHL. York is college through and through. Even if he could have made it behind an NHL bench.

“Coach York could have done it and done very well,” McPhee said. “A lot of college coaches would have followed. Now they’re getting their opportunities. But college hockey, I believe, was his calling. He’s been perfect for college hockey. Perfect not only for all the young men he’s influenced, but he plays the right way. It’s fast, skilled, entertaining hockey. He doesn’t play the sit-back, standstill hockey that, frankly, too many college teams are playing these days. Any coach can do that. Good coaches open it up and play the game right.”

When he was in Washington, McPhee asked York to consider coaching in the NHL. Taylor, formerly the Kings GM, did the same.

York was not interested in meeting his former players’ requests. He did not enjoy the prospect of being fired at some time. His GM would form the roster. York didn’t want to play 41 road games a year.

“I had no aspirations,” York said, “to lead that life.”

York, born in Watertown, lives with wife Bobbie about one-quarter of a mile away from his childhood home. He met Bobbie at BC, which he attended after graduating from Boston College High School.

It takes York about 12 minutes to drive from home to work. On his way every morning, York stops at the Dunkin’ Donuts in Watertown Square. His drink is black coffee with a touch of cream. In warmer weather, York plays golf several times a week at Oakley Country Club, which he measures as a driver and a 5-iron away from his front door. His preferred restaurant is Porcini’s, just across the river from Brighton. York is a parishioner at the Watertown collaboration of St. Patrick’s and Sacred Heart.

Daughter Laura lives in the Back Bay. Son Brendan lives in Sewickley, Pa., but his job brings him to Boston once a week. During his visits, Bobbie jokes to her son that she is not running a Holiday Inn.

In the summer, York and his wife spend a week on the water in Duxbury. Perhaps the only thing that pulls York away from the area is his annual post-season tropical vacation. After last season, the couple traveled to Antigua. York still raves about the fish.

Finding and developing talent
The names that fill York’s former rosters and the credentials they bear are practically beyond belief.

Stanley Cup champions

Rob Blake (Bowling Green/Colorado)
Brian Dumoulin (BC/Pittsburgh)
Brian Gionta (BC/New Jersey)
Brooks Orpik (BC/Pittsburgh)
Zach Sanford (BC/St. Louis)
Rob Scuderi (BC/Los Angeles)
Ryan Shannon (BC/Anaheim)
Ben Smith (BC/Chicago)
Hobey Baker winners

Johnny Gaudreau (BC)
Brian Holzinger (Bowling Green)
McPhee (Bowling Green)
Mike Mottau (BC)
Hall of Famer

Blake
NHL executives/coaches:

Blake (GM, Los Angeles)
Dan Bylsma (Bowling Green/assistant coach, Detroit)
Brian MacLellan (Bowling Green/GM, Washington)
McPhee (president of hockey operations, Vegas)
Todd Reirden (Bowling Green/coach, Washington)
Dave Taylor (Clarkson/vice president of hockey operations, St. Louis)
“They’re nice men now,” Bobbie York said of the boys she’s watched her husband help to shape. “He’s always had a good sense of people to recruit, good coaches. He’s surrounded himself with good people. They’re all turning into good men. I love watching that process.”

Be it in Chestnut Hill, Bowling Green, Ohio, or Potsdam, N.Y., York has always considered hockey sense to be his biggest requirement. He likes players who process rapidly, use the puck and their teammates as their allies and play fast, creative hockey. Ex-Eagles like Gaudreau, Brian Gionta and Cam Atkinson fit this profile.

“Continuous action,” York said of how he prefers the game. “When all of a sudden, it’s less whistles. Plays are going. You’re playing offense, you’re playing defense on the same shift, maybe 3-4 times, you’re switching between them. I like that part of the hockey game. I like the speed, the quickness. There’s a certain symphony that’s going on out there when everything’s going right.”

It is only recently the NHL has adopted York’s manner of thinking. There was a time that the diminutive Gaudreau would never have gotten a sniff of the NHL.

York was never that way. His eyes light up when recruits exhibit flash and dash, even if they show no threat to a scale’s structural integrity.

York insists on off-ice character as well as high on-ice IQ. He does not hesitate to excuse players from practice if they need to catch up on their studies. Foul language has as little place in his dressing room as facial hair. York is in the business of raising men more than winning games.

“He’s not always about hockey,” said New Jersey forward Miles Wood, who played at BC for one season. “He’s more about shaping you as a person. If you happen to play pro hockey after BC, that’s great for him. But what he cares about is about you as a person. That’s what I think is so special about him.”

York has touched McPhee’s life twice — first as a player, now as a parent. Graham McPhee is a BC senior. It took just one call from York and an invitation to attend BC for the younger McPhee to make his decision.

“You just know that, as a parent, you’re blessed,” George McPhee said. “You know your son is in good hands with this man, this program and this school.”

Thirty years have passed since York coached Graham McPhee’s father. Since then, almost everything about college sports, players, society and technology has turned upside down.

York has evolved. His principles, however, have not moved an inch.

Adapting to the times
Today’s college hockey players are under more pressure than ever. The NHL is beckoning a year or two earlier than it did before. Family advisers are common. Training is year-round.

Social media may be the biggest influence of all.

“Ten, 12 years ago, after a game, you may have talked to your mom, dad or a guardian and gotten feedback about the game,” said Martin Jarmond, BC’s 38-year-old athletic director. “Now, you can pull up your phone right when you get off the ice. In five minutes, you can see 20 people, 30 people comment about your performance. And usually it’s not (good). And so we all need validation. We yearn for that. It’s hard to tell a young person, ‘Turn that off.’ Now they’re dealing with different pressures that I didn’t have to deal with. So you’ve got young people that are very impressionable, who have significantly more pressure on them, and it’s not just coming from the parents. Now it’s coming from the high school coach, the club coach, the team, the coaching staff. There’s so much pressure for these young people to be successful or to live up to whatever people expect of them. They’re very impressionable. So you have to have a leader that understands that and can adapt.”

York has ditched his briefcase for a backpack. About three times a week, York attends yoga class to complement his cardio and weight training. He mixes emojis into his texts.

York is 56 years older than Spencer Knight, his hotshot freshman goalie. But what’s made York successful is his ability to reach across generations. He leans on assistants such as Marty McInnis (49), Buckley (42) and Mike Ayers (39). York is famous for inviting guest speakers, ranging from NHL players such as Zdeno Chara to an ex-Navy SEAL named Dave Dauphinais, to talk about dedication, teamwork and life.

Above all else, York has connected by being good.

“He’s about as nice a man as you’ll ever meet in this game,” McPhee said. “I mean this in a positive way — he’s the Fred Rogers of hockey. Mr. Rogers said there are three ways to success. One is to be kind. Two is be kind. Three is be kind. Jerry York is a very kind man, a wonderful man. It’s not in him to have a bad day. Players take to him and like him. Parents, in the recruiting process, this is the man you trust, that you want to look after your son. Those are the reasons why he’s had success. It’s nice to see nice guys finish first.”

After games, be they wins or losses, York addresses his players in the room. It is a two-way conversation, not a monologue. He will call upon a player, like a teacher in a classroom, to share his feelings on the game — who made an important play, what the Eagles could have done better.

York believes in the power of collaboration to extract the best from his players and motivate them to improve. He’s learned through this through experience and outside counsel. York likes Jim Collins’ “Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make The Leap … And Others Don’t.” He also recommends “Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley’s Bill Campbell.” Coincidentally, Campbell, who worked with Apple and Google, was an assistant football coach at BC.

York hopes his lessons will serve his players well after their last shifts at Conte Forum. He is just as happy to learn about an addition to the family or a job promotion as he is about a bigger NHL salary. It pleases York that the depth and breadth of the connections his players make at BC will serve them well once their skates are rusted out.

“It all ends at some point,” said New Jersey assistant GM Tom Fitzgerald, whose sons Ryan and Casey attended BC for four years. “I believe it will open a door in some avenue that both my boys will want to do. It’s exciting. I’m proud of them because they have that piece of paper. They worked hard to get it. College isn’t easy, especially when you’re juggling a sport.”

For all that he has given to BC, college hockey and his players, York is also a taker. During a Bruins training camp session at Warrior Ice Arena, York watched from the concourse while scribbling notes. When he talks to former players who are now in the NHL, he asks them about drills he can swipe. York enjoys consulting with coaches of other sports at BC.

York is just as much of a student as an educator. He does not want to stop learning.

The future
York is signed through 2022. He will be 76. It is possible that the Class of 2023, York’s next crop of recruits, may have a different coach by the time they’re seniors.

“I’m telling the kids now that I’m probably going to coach 3-4 years. Unless I get hit by a train crossing Mount Auburn St.,” York said. “But I feel good. I’m healthy. I like it.”

The line York then uses with his players is a good one: “How long are you going to stay?”

“I just think he enjoys it still,” said Bobbie York. “He’s healthy enough that he can do it. Why not? He loves it. We both love it. It’s been our lives forever. You just keep doing what you love.”

York has a lot to do. He wants Knight to develop into one of the best American goalies ever. York has already coached three good ones: Cory Schneider, Thatcher Demko and Joseph Woll.

“He has the potential to go past those three,” York said. “He’s so quick. He’s big. He understands the game very well. He could be very special for us.”

York would like being behind the bench when the Hall of Fame makes its next round of college calls. He would take pleasure in opening the door for Red Berenson, Ned Harkness, Ron Mason and Jack Parker to join him in Toronto.

“I’d love that,” York said of having college company in the future. “We’re a group of guys that fight like cats and dogs for recruits and winning games. But basically, they do what I do.”

The Eagles last won the title in 2012. They are experiencing something of a drought.

“Jerry’s been at the top. You’d best believe he wants to get back there,” Jarmond said. “There’s no dulling of the light or however you want to put it with Jerry. He is hungry to get our program to that level where they’re raising a championship again and putting another banner in the arena.”

There is nowhere he’d rather be. York feels no pull toward warmer weather. He is satisfied with three visits to Oakley per week in the summer. York is energized by life among young people and educators, all pursuing excellence.

York leads, quite simply, a simple life. He takes pride in a job well done, enjoying a good day and making tomorrow better.

York sees no reason for any of that to end.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Los on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Nice article. Worth the long read.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Return to Kelley Rink