2019 NFL Draft

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019 NFL Draft

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Senior Bowl Rosters Announced with 4 BC players.
https://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters-2019.php?squad=North
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am

Does not sound like Denis distinguished himself in the East-West Shrine Game (at least according to this source).
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/19/ ... formances/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Does not sound like Denis distinguished himself in the East-West Shrine Game (at least according to this source).

He didn't distinguish himself last year on the field either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Does not sound like Denis distinguished himself in the East-West Shrine Game (at least according to this source).

He didn't distinguish himself last year on the field either.

I believe I made this point during the season and the flat earther guy got all upset, so mind your words.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:52 pm

I guess Z Allen had a good week but he was a non-factor in the SR Bowl (at least what I watched). Lindstrom and Harris looked good. Sweeney was Sweeney.
This will be an interesting draft for BC.
When do the Combine invites go out?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:15 pm

7 invited to the combine: Z Allen, Sweeney, Lindstrom, Cheevers, L Denis, W Ray & Will Harris.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Been disappointed with the bench press results of teh BC guys with the exception of Will Harris.

Hamp Cheevers was by far the worst. He got credit for 8 but his form was really UGLY to watch. Lifted his ass in the air really far prompted the announcer to keep his butt down multiple times. Should have stayed. Lukas Denis did 16, Will Harris 20, Sweeney 17, Wyatt Ray 25, Zach Allan 24, Chris Lindstrom 25.

Hopefully the new strength coach is better than the last one.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:50 pm

i didn't check this year but cheevers would've been the lightest player at last years combine by 10 lbs

hope he makes it but certainly odds stacked against him
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:42 am

8 was 2nd lowest of DBs, ran in the 4.5s this AM

hope it works out for him
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:04 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:8 was 2nd lowest of DBs, ran in the 4.5s this AM

hope it works out for him

4.54 on the first run, 4.52 on the second

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Really nice combine for Will Harris so far. 4.42 unofficial and third best among DBs on the bench
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 am

Is today the BC ProDay? Do we know who is working out?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Is today the BC ProDay? Do we know who is working out?

A week from today I think
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:35 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Is today the BC ProDay? Do we know who is working out?

A week from today I think

Thad "Chad" Smith is working out tomorrow.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:13 pm

jeff smith just ran a 4.25, would've been the fastest at the combine by .06
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:17 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:jeff smith just ran a 4.25, would've been the fastest at the combine by .06

and Walker a 4.36. Must be something about the new fieldhouse turf as those guys never looked that face in games.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:jeff smith just ran a 4.25, would've been the fastest at the combine by .06

and Walker a 4.36. Must be something about the new fieldhouse turf as those guys never looked that face in games.

I don't know. Jeff Smith always seemed the fastest guy on the field.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I don't know. Jeff Smith always seemed the fastest guy on the field.

Ray Smith: 4.80
Torres: 4.37

I guess we will know better when we see the results from the guys that ran at the Combine.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:24 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Probably the pads
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Hand timed?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:39 am

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:08 pm

familiar name trying to make the nfl:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football ... 1.28828353

ordan Gowins sets his feet, nudging the front of his gold cleats up against the white line painted onto the artificial turf, and inhales deeply. He carefully gauges his precise movements from this stationary position. He slides his right foot back a few inches so the toe is parallel to the arch of the left. Then the left foot steps back, measured against the right. He bends over so his hands touch the ground, stretches out as far as his frame will take him, then reels his upper body back to that white line in a backward crawl. He finds his balance, raises his left arm behind him, holds the pose for a fraction of a moment, and then . . .

Boom! He’s off. Another rep in the 40-yard dash among the hundreds he’s running to prepare for his pro day on Wednesday.

Gowins has made a name for himself as a football player on Long Island. He won the Hansen Award as the top performer in Suffolk County in 2013 when he was a junior at St. Anthony’s High School. He spent a year at Boston College and then played three seasons at running back for Stony Brook, scoring 16 touchdowns and averaging 4.9 yards per carry. He was named second-team All-CAA as a senior this past fall, rushing for 995 punishing yards on 173 carries.

Now, though, he’s looking for a bigger stage. He’s looking toward the NFL. It’s there, he believes, at the end of those 40 yards of turf he has to cover as fast as he ever has in his life.

He certainly looks the part, with rippling leg muscles and a thick upper body.

But 40 yards is a long way to run when you are training two to three times a day, six times a week, in New Jersey. When you are having a pro day in front of scouts at an indoor sports facility in Coram that usually hosts birthday parties and rec leagues. When you come from a college that has never had a player drafted and only a handful who have made it to active rosters.

And Gowins will be carrying a lot with him as he makes that sprint of destiny. Along those 40 yards, in those four or so seconds it will take him to negotiate it, he’ll be focused on the task but have plenty on his mind.

Maybe in the first 10 yards, he’ll think about the football. About all the work he has put into this day and this event that will open eyes in the pro ranks.

“I just want to shock people,” he said.

And he may do just that. He’s been running the 40 in the low 4.4s, sometimes reaching the high 4.3s. That’s fast, but he thinks he can go faster. He’s aiming for the low 4.3s on Wednesday.

That such a time is even in the conversation for a running back who will weigh in at about 240 pounds is almost unheard of. Last year Saquon Barkley dazzled scouts at the NFL Scouting Combine when he ran a 4.40 at 233 pounds. Gowins may wind up bigger and faster than that.

Stronger, maybe, too. He has topped out at 27 reps on the bench press, but he’s been training only while seeing how many lifts he can make on a single breath. He thinks he can squeeze out another 10 if he’s given a chance to inhale and exhale along the way.

Barkley, by the way, put up 29 reps at his combine.

“The goal is to put in the scouts’ minds that I’m a similar build and I can bring similar attributes to the field,” he said of comparisons to Giants running back Barkley, who was named NFL offensive rookie of the year.

He’s already been invited to the Giants’ workout for local prospects next weekend. A blazing time at his pro day could result in more invitations to visit with NFL teams in more intimate settings.

The start is now behind him. The burst that scouts will be looking for. But the drill isn’t over, not by a long shot. Maybe in the second 10 yards, he’ll think about the obstacles he overcame just to be afforded this opportunity.

When he was 10 years old, he jumped into a friend’s swimming pool in Bellport and lost consciousness. He was a good swimmer, but he doesn’t know if he banged his head on the side or the bottom or if the impact with the water knocked him out. All he knows is what he’s been told, that he was under water for 4 1⁄2 minutes, dragged out by his friend’s older brother, airlifted to the hospital and given a 50-50 chance of surviving.

“The odds of me ever playing football again from that point on were really very slim,” he said. “My mom had talked to doctors over and over again and it just didn’t seem like it would be something that would be realistic for me. I had to learn how to walk again, learn how to write and talk again. It was like being a baby all over again.”

He doesn’t have any childhood memories before the accident. It’s as if his brain was wiped clean. A decade gone from his life.

He doesn’t talk about that a lot. Stony Brook wide receiver Julius Wingate, Gowins’ teammate and roommate for the past several years, is training with him in New Jersey these days. He had no idea about the trauma until Gowins told him this past week.

Gowins hasn’t told any of the NFL teams he’s already spoken with about the incident, either, but he thinks he will start to do that soon. Open up about it. Give people a better idea of what makes him him.

The past nine weeks of alone time in the hotel room in New Jersey between training sessions have allowed him to do a lot of self-reflection and given him time to ponder how and why he’s gotten to this point in his life. His memories begin when he came up from that water. In a lot of ways, so did his life.

“It’s something that’s behind me and I don’t need any pity for it because I got here by not getting any pity from it,” he said. “Honestly, I feel like it’s the reason why I’m here. Some people need that huge obstacle in their life to get to where they are, and I think that’s a big reason I am who I am.”

Halfway done. Twenty yards down, twenty to go. Maybe now he’ll start to think about Bellport, where he was raised on the South Shore of Long Island. About being a role model for his community.

“I grew up seeing caution tape, I grew up seeing killings and all this other stuff,’’ he said. “Troubled kids. Even just to get here is big because it motivates kids, it shows them they can get out of what we come from. Because not many people do it. I probably can’t name five people on my hand who have come out of Bellport and actually made it, so that’s another driving factor for me.”

Almost there. The final 10 yards. Those elephant thighs of his are swollen and burning, the chiseled arms swinging. And maybe at this point he’ll catch a glimpse out of the corner of his eye of his family standing off to the side.

Maybe he’ll notice the woman with the cane and the limp who, if she’s having a good enough day, has come to watch him run these drills. It’s his mother, Patrina Cousin. If Gowins needs any fuel to conquer these last few strides, he’s found it.

“That’s who I’m doing it for,” he said.

Cousin has had health issues for a number of years, Gowins said. She was diagnosed with a Chiari malformation a few years ago, which means part of her brain pushed into space that should be occupied by her spinal cord. She had surgery about two years ago to alleviate some of the pressure, but she still has symptoms. Seizures. That leg that was never quite the same after brain surgery.

“Every day is different,” she said. “Getting better, but every day is different. That’s the best way I can describe it.”

She’s one of the big reasons he left Boston College after a year and transferred to Stony Brook. He wanted to be close to her and the rest of his family. “It didn’t feel right,” he said of being so far away.

There was a time when Gowins didn’t think she’d make it this far — when he was racing not to impress scouts but to make it to the NFL before she died so she could see him wearing a pro uniform. Even if it was just for a rookie minicamp tryout, even if just for a training camp practice, even if just for a preseason game, he wanted her to see that.

Now he wants to get to the NFL to help her. The money he could make in the league, he said, would go toward putting her in front of doctors who might be able to treat her disease and not just prescribe pills to mask her symptoms. The platform he might have, he hopes, will draw attention to the rare disease and maybe open new doors.

“I’m motivated by taking care of my family,” he said. “That’s been a big part of me training past my limits. At the end of the day, money is not going to be enough of a motive to keep going and keep pressing. I don’t look at it as trying to earn a contract, I look at it as giving my family a better opportunity and a better life.”

And that will be that. He’ll cross the finish line. Scouts will look at their stopwatches and write down the number. Maybe they’ll be impressed, but they won’t show it.

Gowins will slow down and come to a stop, put his hands on his hips, turn around and look back at the path he just traversed. Forty yards.

Maybe more.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:familiar name trying to make the nfl:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football ... 1.28828353

ordan Gowins sets his feet, nudging the front of his gold cleats up against the white line painted onto the artificial turf, and inhales deeply. He carefully gauges his precise movements from this stationary position. He slides his right foot back a few inches so the toe is parallel to the arch of the left. Then the left foot steps back, measured against the right. He bends over so his hands touch the ground, stretches out as far as his frame will take him, then reels his upper body back to that white line in a backward crawl. He finds his balance, raises his left arm behind him, holds the pose for a fraction of a moment, and then . . .

Boom! He’s off. Another rep in the 40-yard dash among the hundreds he’s running to prepare for his pro day on Wednesday.

Gowins has made a name for himself as a football player on Long Island. He won the Hansen Award as the top performer in Suffolk County in 2013 when he was a junior at St. Anthony’s High School. He spent a year at Boston College and then played three seasons at running back for Stony Brook, scoring 16 touchdowns and averaging 4.9 yards per carry. He was named second-team All-CAA as a senior this past fall, rushing for 995 punishing yards on 173 carries.

Now, though, he’s looking for a bigger stage. He’s looking toward the NFL. It’s there, he believes, at the end of those 40 yards of turf he has to cover as fast as he ever has in his life.

He certainly looks the part, with rippling leg muscles and a thick upper body.

But 40 yards is a long way to run when you are training two to three times a day, six times a week, in New Jersey. When you are having a pro day in front of scouts at an indoor sports facility in Coram that usually hosts birthday parties and rec leagues. When you come from a college that has never had a player drafted and only a handful who have made it to active rosters.

And Gowins will be carrying a lot with him as he makes that sprint of destiny. Along those 40 yards, in those four or so seconds it will take him to negotiate it, he’ll be focused on the task but have plenty on his mind.

Maybe in the first 10 yards, he’ll think about the football. About all the work he has put into this day and this event that will open eyes in the pro ranks.

“I just want to shock people,” he said.

And he may do just that. He’s been running the 40 in the low 4.4s, sometimes reaching the high 4.3s. That’s fast, but he thinks he can go faster. He’s aiming for the low 4.3s on Wednesday.

That such a time is even in the conversation for a running back who will weigh in at about 240 pounds is almost unheard of. Last year Saquon Barkley dazzled scouts at the NFL Scouting Combine when he ran a 4.40 at 233 pounds. Gowins may wind up bigger and faster than that.

Stronger, maybe, too. He has topped out at 27 reps on the bench press, but he’s been training only while seeing how many lifts he can make on a single breath. He thinks he can squeeze out another 10 if he’s given a chance to inhale and exhale along the way.

Barkley, by the way, put up 29 reps at his combine.

“The goal is to put in the scouts’ minds that I’m a similar build and I can bring similar attributes to the field,” he said of comparisons to Giants running back Barkley, who was named NFL offensive rookie of the year.

He’s already been invited to the Giants’ workout for local prospects next weekend. A blazing time at his pro day could result in more invitations to visit with NFL teams in more intimate settings.

The start is now behind him. The burst that scouts will be looking for. But the drill isn’t over, not by a long shot. Maybe in the second 10 yards, he’ll think about the obstacles he overcame just to be afforded this opportunity.

When he was 10 years old, he jumped into a friend’s swimming pool in Bellport and lost consciousness. He was a good swimmer, but he doesn’t know if he banged his head on the side or the bottom or if the impact with the water knocked him out. All he knows is what he’s been told, that he was under water for 4 1⁄2 minutes, dragged out by his friend’s older brother, airlifted to the hospital and given a 50-50 chance of surviving.

“The odds of me ever playing football again from that point on were really very slim,” he said. “My mom had talked to doctors over and over again and it just didn’t seem like it would be something that would be realistic for me. I had to learn how to walk again, learn how to write and talk again. It was like being a baby all over again.”

He doesn’t have any childhood memories before the accident. It’s as if his brain was wiped clean. A decade gone from his life.

He doesn’t talk about that a lot. Stony Brook wide receiver Julius Wingate, Gowins’ teammate and roommate for the past several years, is training with him in New Jersey these days. He had no idea about the trauma until Gowins told him this past week.

Gowins hasn’t told any of the NFL teams he’s already spoken with about the incident, either, but he thinks he will start to do that soon. Open up about it. Give people a better idea of what makes him him.

The past nine weeks of alone time in the hotel room in New Jersey between training sessions have allowed him to do a lot of self-reflection and given him time to ponder how and why he’s gotten to this point in his life. His memories begin when he came up from that water. In a lot of ways, so did his life.

“It’s something that’s behind me and I don’t need any pity for it because I got here by not getting any pity from it,” he said. “Honestly, I feel like it’s the reason why I’m here. Some people need that huge obstacle in their life to get to where they are, and I think that’s a big reason I am who I am.”

Halfway done. Twenty yards down, twenty to go. Maybe now he’ll start to think about Bellport, where he was raised on the South Shore of Long Island. About being a role model for his community.

“I grew up seeing caution tape, I grew up seeing killings and all this other stuff,’’ he said. “Troubled kids. Even just to get here is big because it motivates kids, it shows them they can get out of what we come from. Because not many people do it. I probably can’t name five people on my hand who have come out of Bellport and actually made it, so that’s another driving factor for me.”

Almost there. The final 10 yards. Those elephant thighs of his are swollen and burning, the chiseled arms swinging. And maybe at this point he’ll catch a glimpse out of the corner of his eye of his family standing off to the side.

Maybe he’ll notice the woman with the cane and the limp who, if she’s having a good enough day, has come to watch him run these drills. It’s his mother, Patrina Cousin. If Gowins needs any fuel to conquer these last few strides, he’s found it.

“That’s who I’m doing it for,” he said.

Cousin has had health issues for a number of years, Gowins said. She was diagnosed with a Chiari malformation a few years ago, which means part of her brain pushed into space that should be occupied by her spinal cord. She had surgery about two years ago to alleviate some of the pressure, but she still has symptoms. Seizures. That leg that was never quite the same after brain surgery.

“Every day is different,” she said. “Getting better, but every day is different. That’s the best way I can describe it.”

She’s one of the big reasons he left Boston College after a year and transferred to Stony Brook. He wanted to be close to her and the rest of his family. “It didn’t feel right,” he said of being so far away.

There was a time when Gowins didn’t think she’d make it this far — when he was racing not to impress scouts but to make it to the NFL before she died so she could see him wearing a pro uniform. Even if it was just for a rookie minicamp tryout, even if just for a training camp practice, even if just for a preseason game, he wanted her to see that.

Now he wants to get to the NFL to help her. The money he could make in the league, he said, would go toward putting her in front of doctors who might be able to treat her disease and not just prescribe pills to mask her symptoms. The platform he might have, he hopes, will draw attention to the rare disease and maybe open new doors.

“I’m motivated by taking care of my family,” he said. “That’s been a big part of me training past my limits. At the end of the day, money is not going to be enough of a motive to keep going and keep pressing. I don’t look at it as trying to earn a contract, I look at it as giving my family a better opportunity and a better life.”

And that will be that. He’ll cross the finish line. Scouts will look at their stopwatches and write down the number. Maybe they’ll be impressed, but they won’t show it.

Gowins will slow down and come to a stop, put his hands on his hips, turn around and look back at the path he just traversed. Forty yards.

Maybe more.

Enjoyed reading this - thanks for posting
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... -green-bay

Not sure where to put this, but great read for football fans
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Looks like Hamp Cheevers may be having second thoughts about going into the draft.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Looks like Hamp Cheevers may be having second thoughts about going into the draft.

His combine analysis says day 3 pick with better that average chance to make a roster.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/hamp-cheevers?id=32194348-4517-7979-d5e3-bb0542c4ef27
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Looks like Hamp Cheevers may be having second thoughts about going into the draft.

source?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:09 pm

It's on TOS, from one of the players parents I do believe so I think it has merit.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Pass. Im good what they have opposite Sebastian.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 pm

I’d take him back in a heartbeat. But, he doesn’t play BB and didn’t declare for the NBA draft. If you play FB and declare for the NFL draft, you forfeit your amateur status. Saban’s rant the other day talked about how 1/3 of those that declare early don’t get drafted (and how 50% are done within 3 years).

Hamp can come back to BC only if he hires an attorney to sue the NCAA over the discrepancy between rules of FB and BB. Good luck.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium