New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Bryce Drew made the tournament two years ago and apparently recruited a kid who will go in the lottery this year. The season is said to have gone sideways when said kid was injured five games into the season and elected to sit out the year.

So what is BC's excuse for retaining Christian vis a vis Vanderbilt, which is a better school and suffers a far bigger standards and facilities gap vis a vis its conference rivals then BC does in the ACC. What a shit ass school BC has morphed into under Leahy. My only problem is that the diploma mill where I obtained my law degree is the only school with a more poorly run athletic department.

How long before this ineptitude results in Villanova passing us in terms of academics and desirability? It can't be that far away at this point.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:06 am

As a BC sports fan subject to the far-too-long rule of a President who despises sports, I have given up pretending that Leahy will ever retire or that some magic sub-committee will alter priorities (on the back of an impassioned White Mountain Creamery for all platform). I understand that every single coaching mistep BC makes handcuffs its future. I understand that BC basically needs to be perfect in every decision with absolutely no room for error.

What frustrates me is that those in the athletic department act in ways that seem to be oblivious to this truth.

For some unbeknownst reason, there seems to be a very different standard for BB and FB. While we can all agree that Dazoo isn’t the answer. I think we can all agree that he has FB in a better spot than he got it. In truth, Daz is almost our version of Dabo. He is a recruiter and clown who loves the media component. The problem is that he is too stupid to know his limitations. He never ceded absolute control to his assistants (even when he had HCRD and Third Down Donnie Brown). But, regardless of how disappointing his seasons of late have been, I think there are a number of Power 5 schools that would live with this level of almost-great success.

The same cannot be said about JC. At no point has seemed to be the answer... not the day he was hired, not the day he was extended, not now safely entering Year Six. I find it maddening the number of quality coaches we didn’t hire. And, I find it bizarre that we have stubbornly stuck with the only one that was Eddie Fogler’s client. They have treated him like he is beloved alum who just needs time to learn (e.g. like you might do with a first time head coach/former player like Dudley or Eisley or like we did with Obie).

This isn’t really based on anything specifically. It is just, watching the Tournament, I realize how far we have to go to get back to what we were under Skinner.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
This isn’t really based on anything specifically. It is just, watching the Tournament, I realize how far we have to go to get back to what we were under Skinner with Coen and Cooley.

Fixed. The next coach will need to bring in an excellent staff.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
This isn’t really based on anything specifically. It is just, watching the Tournament, I realize how far we have to go to get back to what we were under Skinner with Coen and Cooley.

Fixed. The next coach will need to bring in an excellent staff.

Really? You think assistants have been the problem? I disagree. I think we have had... and still have... an excellent slate of assistants. It has been one of the few consistent themes from Obie to Skinner to Don to Jimmy Mac.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 am

i think the assistants have been part of the problem sure.

stan health was here for 2 years and did absolutely nothing

bill with the polish name has been here since christian started and has only recruited steff & rishwain, 6 years, 2 recruits isn't too impressive

spinelli has been the one getting all the recruits. cheeks looks good but just started here
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:32 am

The problem is not assistant coaches. Too often teams are unprepared, don't adjust and check out. In football you can blame coordinators for the first two but basketball isn't that complicated.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:30 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:How long before this ineptitude results in Villanova passing us in terms of academics and desirability? It can't be that far away at this point.

You're right - and I think it is has happened. Anecdotally, I know of two kids who got into BC this year. One was waitlisted at Villanova, and to my shock, the other was rejected.

Granted, BC is still incredibly competitive, and I know of others who were rejected by BC despite having fantastic SATs and academic records at very strong college prep schools. But winning two national championships in three years, coupled with the transformative building they are doing on campus, has led Villanova's applications and yield percentage to shoot up this year. As far as the admissions game is concerned, I think they are pulling alongside or ahead of us.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:49 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:How long before this ineptitude results in Villanova passing us in terms of academics and desirability? It can't be that far away at this point.

You're right - and I think it is has happened. Anecdotally, I know of two kids who got into BC this year. One was waitlisted at Villanova, and to my shock, the other was rejected.

Granted, BC is still incredibly competitive, and I know of others who were rejected by BC despite having fantastic SATs and academic records at very strong college prep schools. But winning two national championships in three years, coupled with the transformative building they are doing on campus, has led Villanova's applications and yield percentage to shoot up this year. As far as the admissions game is concerned, I think they are pulling alongside or ahead of us.

This is extremely depressing. Villanova was always a safety type school when compared to BC. Way to go Bill Leahy!
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The problem is not assistant coaches. Too often teams are unprepared, don't adjust and check out. In football you can blame coordinators for the first two but basketball isn't that complicated.

The lack of decent assistants in the past has directly resulted in some of the awful talent on the bench.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Villanova has not passed BC because of hoop, IB anecdotes aside.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The problem is not assistant coaches. Too often teams are unprepared, don't adjust and check out. In football you can blame coordinators for the first two but basketball isn't that complicated.

The lack of decent assistants in the past has directly resulted in some of the awful talent on the bench.

No.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No.

How else did they get there? BC lost a ton of games this year because when we have to play the bench, they aren’t functional basketball players
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No.

How else did they get there? BC lost a ton of games this year because when we have to play the bench, they aren’t functional basketball players

If JC is blindly signing off on recruits that's still his fault. You overrate the importance of assistants in hoop.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm

you two are such a married couple

LOL
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:you two are such a married couple

LOL

We may disagree frequently, but TWB is a good guy.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:52 am

i'm scoring this one epstein 1 teddy 0

i'm sorry you can't be an assistant coach for 5 years at an acc program and the only recruit you bring in can't play offense.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:28 pm

Can we just throw $3mil at Bruce Pearl already
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Can we just throw $3mil at Bruce Pearl already

No.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 pm

BC wasn’t no part of Pearl, although he would’ve last time around
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:59 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:

No.

You logged into the wrong Family Guy alias for this one
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:00 am

not surprising but:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/03/30/buz ... e-sources/
Buzz Williams will be the next head coach at Texas A&M after his Virginia Tech team lost here in the Sweet 16 to Duke on Friday night, multiple sources said.
“That’s done,” one source said before Duke edged out Virginia Tech, 75-73, to advance to the Elite Eight.
Williams, 46, is a Greenville, Texas native and former A&M assistant under Billy Gillispie from 2004-06.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Thank God we don’t have to deal with that uncertainty. Buzz and Jimmy Mac were hired at the same time, but now they are starting all over. Eddie Folger’s fee was clearly well-earned.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

This is extremely depressing. Villanova was always a safety type school when compared to BC. Way to go Bill Leahy!

We're not doing so bad academically:

Boston College received 35,500 applications for the Class of 2023, the most in University history and a 14 percent increase over last year, according to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. The previous high-water mark for undergraduate applications was 34,061 for the Class of 2016.
BC has extended approximately 9,500 offers of admission, representing an admit rate of 27 percent, compared to 32 percent two years ago and 28 percent a year ago.
The average ACT score for admitted students is 33, while the average SAT score is 1465, up 17 points from last year.
Students admitted to the Class of 2023 represent all 50 states and Washington, D.C., as well as two U.S. territories and more than 70 countries around the world. More than a third are AHANA students.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:10 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Boston College received 35,500 applications for the Class of 2023, the most in University history and a 14 percent increase over last year, according to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. The previous high-water mark for undergraduate applications was 34,061 for the Class of 2016.
BC has extended approximately 9,500 offers of admission, representing an admit rate of 27 percent, compared to 32 percent two years ago and 28 percent a year ago.
The average ACT score for admitted students is 33, while the average SAT score is 1465, up 17 points from last year.
Students admitted to the Class of 2023 represent all 50 states and Washington, D.C., as well as two U.S. territories and more than 70 countries around the world. More than a third are AHANA students.

This means absolutely nothing. Its is a cut and paste of worthless stats.
Does it really matter that we admit kids from all 50 states? More than a third are AHANA? They could be all Asians. What good is admitted? We might be there safety school.

We are regressing. Fuck Leahy.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:19 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Does it really matter that we admit kids from all 50 states? More than a third are AHANA? They could be all Asians. What good is admitted? We might be there safety school.

I mean the test scores going up is a sign that it got more competitive
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:30 am

We may be regressing, but there is now way we slipped all the way behind Villanova (with all due respect to the alleged claims of a daughter of a friend of an anonymous message board poster).

Anecdotally, Chris "Mad Dog" Russo was on the radio recently BLASTING BC and Holy Cross for waitlisting his daughter (and rejected from USC). She got into Wake and had money from her safety school... (wait for it) Villanova. His daughter wanted to reapply to BC with a new essay and her most recent grades and he said, "Over my dead body!" So, she is going to Wake.
https://soundcloud.com/maddogsportsradio
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

The acceptance rate of AHANA students is basically the same as the Class of '19 AHANA students, so I assume it's a decent enough proxy. Of the 33%, about 1/3 are Asian.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:We may be regressing, but there is now way we slipped all the way behind Villanova (with all due respect to the alleged claims of a daughter of a friend of an anonymous message board poster).

Anecdotally, Chris "Mad Dog" Russo was on the radio recently BLASTING BC and Holy Cross for waitlisting his daughter (and rejected from USC). She got into Wake and had money from her safety school... (wait for it) Villanova. His daughter wanted to reapply to BC with a new essay and her most recent grades and he said, "Over my dead body!" So, she is going to Wake.
https://soundcloud.com/maddogsportsradio

I think BC and HC waitlisting his kid has everything to do with geography. I don't believe what the admissions office told Dog. The USC rejection is odd.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Students admitted to the Class of 2023 represent all 50 states and Washington, D.C., as well as two U.S. territories and more than 70 countries around the world. More than a third are AHANA students.

It's interesting to me that there are still so many AHANA applicants given how decades of AHANA students have told us how bad they have it at BC. One would think word would have gotten out by now. Hmmm...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:11 pm

doggie still has his fastball, the other guy is '09 pedro getting battered around in the world series
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext