New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:28 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I don’t think JIm Christian is a bad coach. I felt Steve Donahue certainly was.

Jim Christian’s X’s and O’s savvy is pretty good. I am usually impressed by his defensive adjustments. He switches from zone to man and it usually succeeds in slowing the other team down. They shift their zone correctly, and I don’t see many breakdowns even in sudden mid-game adjustments. He is a stellar defensive coach, honestly. My problems are with his offensive scheme. It’s poor. His situational coaching is a C+ at best. The Providence game where we win if we foul comes to mind.

He can also identify and develop guards better than average. Where he lacks proficiency is at center. Nik Popovic was a good find, but he is a poor defender. Not to mention his other bigs have never impressed me.

In his quest for diamonds in the rough, sometimes he hits impressively. But sometimes he offers schollies to players who can’t find the court even on a depth starved team. We’re talking Avery Wilson, etc.

Overall... if he gets another year, it at least allows the recruiting class to come in. Problem is, if he succeeds and posts a good record we can’t justify firing him if a very good candidate is out there. But like I said, he’s not Steve Donahue bad. I’m not even convinced he’s bad at all. Just not great.

His winning % in the ACC is like 15%. He's a bad coach, especially on defense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Sweet loss to St. Louis today.

That was a bad one, would have been nice to hold on and win. Freshmen sometimes play like freshmen at inopportune times, but the fact that they were in it with two of their three leading scorers having bad games and their best defender on the bench with questionable foul trouble speaks volumes about the coaching.

In any case, I came to the realization that St Bonnies is a far more admirable place then BC. They spend as much as they conceivably can in furtherance of winning, they don’t whine and complain about the legion of disadvantages they have vis a vis the rest of their conference and they have recruited as of late well above their conference (and frankly better than BC this past year and for next year). Their fans are also not nerds and show up and cheer and party afterwards. Meanwhile, our fan base, to the extent it still exists, consists of miserable flyingelvii type fajets whose own parents hate them and regret their birth. As such, I hope Schmidt never gets another call from BC and declines rumored interest from DePaul who is not so quietly considering jettisoning Letaio.

As for BC, we are what we are and our nerdy student body and apathetic alums seem largely satisfied with it. I hope when Jimmy Christian departs we get the Jeff Capel/Mike Rhoades type mediocrity we deserve.

Absolutely this. Schmidt is not a flawless coach by any means, but comparably, St. Bona's is a lot more fun to follow than BC is and as such, I hope Schmidt stays there. The difference in experience from going to Brooklyn Saturday and Sunday this weekend - with Bonas fans, a school that again has about 450 kids per class, literally lining the streets of Park Slope from about 10am-on each day chanting and calling out to each other as folks walk by in the streets, to the typical BC gamewatch experience of like 7 people lamenting how much we suck, is shocking.

And yeah, Bonas blew it yesterday not the least of which may have been due to Schmidt's making a fatal flaw in the 1st half, when Bonas had all the momentum, by leaving Osun out there with 2 fouls. But this is a program that has every disadvantage that was seriously competing for the tournament for the 3rd of 4 seasons, which is pretty unheard of in Olean.

Point is: Schmidt is great for Bona. Maybe he's just OK here, but the difference in what Schmidt does for Bona, and that program, and how much fun it is when there is even a chance they are good (or not! The fan base is still fantastic) versus how effed everything is here definitely makes me hope he's never even tempted to come this way, for the benefit of all parties. Leahy, Jarmond, Jim Christian - they all deserve each other.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:14 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I don’t think JIm Christian is a bad coach. I felt Steve Donahue certainly was.

Jim Christian’s X’s and O’s savvy is pretty good. I am usually impressed by his defensive adjustments. He switches from zone to man and it usually succeeds in slowing the other team down. They shift their zone correctly, and I don’t see many breakdowns even in sudden mid-game adjustments. He is a stellar defensive coach, honestly. My problems are with his offensive scheme. It’s poor. His situational coaching is a C+ at best. The Providence game where we win if we foul comes to mind.

He can also identify and develop guards better than average. Where he lacks proficiency is at center. Nik Popovic was a good find, but he is a poor defender. Not to mention his other bigs have never impressed me.

In his quest for diamonds in the rough, sometimes he hits impressively. But sometimes he offers schollies to players who can’t find the court even on a depth starved team. We’re talking Avery Wilson, etc.

Overall... if he gets another year, it at least allows the recruiting class to come in. Problem is, if he succeeds and posts a good record we can’t justify firing him if a very good candidate is out there. But like I said, he’s not Steve Donahue bad. I’m not even convinced he’s bad at all. Just not great.

I disagree with your take on his defensive coaching. For every team it confuses, there is a game where we have breakdowns and let some average player light us up from outside. In his five years, he's only had one team ranked in the Top 100 defensively (2016-17) and even that team was only 100.

I would say he is a B- X and Os guy, B- recruiter, C developer of talent, C+ motivator, and a B- face of the program.

Well let’s analyze that statistically. Being Top 100 means being in the top third of the country - well, how many of those programs are outside of the ACC, which is the premier conference for talent? I am not saying your research is incorrect, and I appreciate you bringing actual measures into account - is the Top 100 by points allowed per game? What’s this metric?

From the eye test, we had a conservative scheme this year. This may be due to lack of depth. Slow the game down, etc. but we also have some very good defenders, like Mitchell (one of the best defensive BC players I have ever seen) and both Hamiltons. Generally, our games were fistfights and low scoring. If this team isn’t top 100 defensively, I am surprised. Granted, like I said, these good defenders got no rest and were also playing the best competition... but I stand by my opinion.

I don’t like making excuses for JC, he’s not a great coach. But again. Not convinced he’s straight up bad either. EDIT: And yes, Buddy Boeheims having good games is bad, but.. Al Skinner frequently had randos succeed vs him. Could be a scheme to keep the ball out of the best players hands and make someone else beat us.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Rumor has it Jeff Neubauer is first on deck for an interview starting later this week. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:43 pm

would he bring the sidepiece he found while recruiting that his wife blasted him about on twitter?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:would he bring the sidepiece he found while recruiting that his wife blasted him about on twitter?

Yep. He ended up marrying her. But, give the guy credit. Not only did he hot-swap his tubby wife for fine Eastern European POA, he went to TWO NCAAs with E. Kentucky (one of the hardest places to win).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:Rumor has it Jeff Neubauer is first on deck for an interview starting later this week. :ace

I'm out of the loop on basketball...this cannot possibly be a real post...?
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Did Jeff Neubauer play Private Pyle?
The guy makes $300k a year and he can’t get his front teeth whitened?

BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 pm

only thing worse than his teeth (and his actual coaching) is his style, needless to say i don't see eastern clothing lining up to sign him to an endorsement
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:only thing worse than his teeth (and his actual coaching) is his style, needless to say i don't see eastern clothing lining up to sign him to an endorsement

pishaw. You need a new butler, mine says that is sartorial splendor.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 pm

checks upon checks!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bender on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm

No one wants to mention the divorce, where he was cheating on his wife and she started tweeiting all about it? I will give Neubauer credit for one thing, unlike any of our recent coaches he is able to recruit players who go to high school within a mile of BC's campus.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Bender {l Wrote}:No one wants to mention the divorce, where he was cheating on his wife and she started tweeiting all about it? I will give Neubauer credit for one thing, unlike any of our recent coaches he is able to recruit players who go to high school within a mile of BC's campus.

I think everyone pretty much mentioned it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 am

Did his parents have any children that lived?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:39 am

Nothing says quality coaching like a .440 winning percentage in the A10.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:48 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:Nothing says quality coaching like a .440 winning percentage in the A10.

Jim Christian's career in-conference winning percentage is .4724.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:Nothing says quality coaching like a .440 winning percentage in the A10.

Jim Christian's career in-conference winning percentage is .4724.

This has to be a joke. I'd rather keep JC.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:29 am

of course it's a joke, he's a horrendous coach in the a10 with players actively quitting midseason
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:of course it's a joke, he's a horrendous coach in the a10 with players actively quitting midseason

Red font detector down.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am

Phil Martelli is now available.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:56 am

thamel just tweeted he's coming back
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:01 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:thamel just tweeted he's coming back

Yes BUT he also said the school is going to commit more resources and provide program enhancements. It’s fine.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:05 am

Maybe BC really should be kicked out of the ACC.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am

"Enchancements." Is this gonna be like last time around when they put new pictures on the walls and a couple of TVs in the locker room?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:38 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:thamel just tweeted he's coming back

I'm going to take a weird angle at this.

If BC is seriously going to devote the financial resources (including facilities) towards basketball, then it isn't awful news.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 am

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 am

I believe this is the correct decision and our patience with Jimmy Christian will be handsomely rewarded
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

If this gives Jarmond a little more leeway to fire Addazio, I'm all for it.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum