New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Surprised Mike Rhoads hasnt been mentioned.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Surprised Mike Rhoads hasnt been mentioned.

He's still bitter toward BC for not giving his brother Randy enough respect.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Word is trickling out of Houston . . . you are all going to be disappointed.

some realities all you hippie dippy hoopster hopesters need to keep in mind:

1. Jesuits in charge currently do not care about athletics win - loss success (and BB less than FB), and therefore are not going to approve paying people not to work if the programs otherwise are being run clean
2. JC just received an extension last year through 21-22, so no way they are going to pay him not to work for 3 years
c. see 1 and 2; this is really all that matters to them
iv. JC is a high character coach and his players stay out of trouble
cinco. some people in the admin actually think MBB was "this close" this year but for injuries and that the future is brighter with JC than going another direction now. This same coterie of nitwits also think that for all his elite talent, Bowman was a net-negative to the team for the year because he was too dominant at times and completely disappeared at others.

In my personal opinion, the last observation has some merit. Bowman was inconsistent, but what the nitwits fail to recognize is that the consequences of his inconsistent performances were made outsized by the overall lack of talent surrounding him due to injuries and lack of depth.

[cue HJS taking these nuggets and passing them off as his own]
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm

/
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Just looked at Cooley's record at Providence, are you really serious? He's coaching a bubble team in a weaker conference that never wins in the NCAAs despite landing very good recruits with limited admissions restrictions.

I've watched Cooley call play many times. Makes Christian look like John Wooden.

71-73 in whatever they are calling the conference that has Patrick Ewing and that putz Wojo coaching in it. No wonder Chris Mack was reluctant to leave.

You’re not getting Cooley due to his Xs and Os. Guy can flat out recruit. He’s Amaker on steroids.

So assume he gets the same talent he went 71-73 with in the AAC/Big East Catholic. How's that translate to the ACC?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Bumpers {l Wrote}:Word is trickling out of Houston . . . you are all going to be disappointed.

1. Jesuits in charge currently do not care about athletics win - loss success (and BB less than FB), and therefore are not going to approve paying people not to work if the programs otherwise are being run clean
2. JC just received an extension last year through 21-22, so no way they are going to pay him not to work for 3 years
cinco. some people in the admin actually think MBB was "this close" this year but for injuries and that the future is brighter with JC than going another direction now. This same coterie of nitwits also think that for all his elite talent, Bowman was a net-negative to the team for the year because he was too dominant at times and completely disappeared at others.

In my personal opinion, the last observation has some merit. Bowman was inconsistent, but what the nitwits fail to recognize is that the consequences of his inconsistent performances were made outsized by the overall lack of talent surrounding him due to injuries and lack of depth.

I actually think you are right on all of these things and definitely agree with part two of cinco. Part one of cinco is ridiculous - injuries happen to all teams. Good ones don't have Vin Baker Jr., Meznieks and the goofy comb over guy as backups to Pop, Tabbs and the glue guy with no offensive skill.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:25 pm

Bumpers {l Wrote}:Word is trickling out of Houston . . . you are all going to be disappointed.

1-4 (or versions thereof) are quite consistent with what I have routinely posted. #5 I haven’t heard and barely watched games this year to even have an opinion on the topic.

HJS on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:37 pm {l Wrote}:The only glimmer of hope in the article is the alluding to his buyout not being cost prohibitive. That said, under Leahy, ANY buyout is prohibitive.

HJS on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:10 pm {l Wrote}:Here’s the thing... Marty and the rest of the athletic department really like Jimmy Mac. They think he is a good guy. They think he is good Xs and Os. They think he’s been able to put together some decent recruiting classes of late.

HJS on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:02 pm {l Wrote}:There is virtually no chance that BC is moving on from JC at this juncture. But, if you guys want to play pretend, you really need to re-calibrate the focus. BC isn't going to be making any major financial commitment that comes with paying for Jimmy Mac to leave and then hiring a coach you've ever heard of (including the past-their-prime Baby Boomers most here are promoting).

HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:52 pm {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:If we were to make a move, what is the timeline?

We tell Jimmy Mac that his contract isn't being extended. In three years, we hire a new coach.
http://bcheights.com/2018/04/25/jim-chr ... 22-season/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Deleted my TRE level quote boxing.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:17 am

I tend to agree that Bowman doesn't make the team any better, but I also can envision single digit wins next season when he leaves. You need more than one guy who wants the ball on the floor, and the only one who'll be left is Tabbs if he can stay healthy.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:28 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:cinco. some people in the admin actually think MBB was "this close" this year but for injuries and that the future is brighter with JC than going another direction now. This same coterie of nitwits also think that for all his elite talent, Bowman was a net-negative to the team for the year because he was too dominant at times and completely disappeared at others.

i know this will get blowback but i tend to agree. i think w a fully health roster this team would be a 10 / 11 type seed in the tourney. but they weren't and it's jc's fault we had to turn to players who either are deep role players in this conf or more commonly have zero business playing d1 basketball

those knocking bowman are the same ones that think the giants will be better without obj
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:41 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
those knocking bowman are the same ones that think the giants will be better without obj

If we didn't have Bowman in 2018-19, the team would have been worse. But my hope is that next year's class, including Tabbs, will more than make up for his loss.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 am

from your lips, not sold a lineup of tabbs, heath, younger hamilton, pop + whoever as 5th (steff provides great value but can we please not give someone 30 min a night while playing 4 on 5 offensively?)

order for new coach: cut the fat off this team, get healthy, scour transfer market
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 am

so....

assuming hes not getting fired? imagine we wouldve heard by now, no?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:from your lips, not sold a lineup of tabbs, heath, younger hamilton, pop + whoever as 5th (steff provides great value but can we please not give someone 30 min a night while playing 4 on 5 offensively?)

order for new coach: cut the fat off this team, get healthy, scour transfer market

This team still needs a backup guard also. You can't play Herren Jr. in the ACC beyond 5 minutes a night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 am

If Christian can get the flotsam off this team and get some transfers in, there may be hope for next year. The only other way they'll make double-digits is if there is another Tabbs in the Freshmen class.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 am

What Bumpers wrote is what I have heard generally for over a year: (1) Fr. Leahy has no appetite for paying people not to work, (2) JC is considered a good guy throughout the administration and (3) the Athletic Department (Jarmond on down) really thought that JC had turned the corner last year (and like the recent recruiting). So, I would be very surprised if he is let go.

Here is my opinion...
Marty doesn't care about BC. He cares about succeeding Gene Smith at OSU. I don't think there is anything wrong with this and generally means BC's interests align. But, I think this also means that he is going to be very deliberate on when he makes a move. He is now just tending Bates' garden. While I think he needs to eventually make a move to get a better gig, he can still package his time here as being handcuffed by President unwilling to spend beyond mid-major rates.

When the time comes to let go of JC, I do not think he will grab a marginally better candidate like Bill Coen or Mark Schmidt from the discard pile of marin-approved candidates (guys who will get us to 17 wins, will not be a reputational risk and make folks who still read the Globe happy). Coen and Schmidt are safe hires you make if you want to make sure that you don't get fired by BC. But, they are not hires that get you notice by bigger athletic departments. Given the eternity that we have been irrelevant in BB, I think Marty has coverage to try something bold/risky. I think he will swing for the fences on the hire. If it isn't a big name, I think he will do something similar to what he's done with his other hires... young up-and-comers who have won and will not get a chance on a bigger stage. He will want to hire someone who is getting approached by major programs in 3 years. That is what helps build the only thing missing from his resume... talent identifier.
If his search centers on coaches nearing 60, "know BC" and won't ever be at risk of being poached by another school... Jarmond is an empty suit with absolutely no power.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:35 am

He's staying, isn't he?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:25 am

Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Surprised Mike Rhoads hasnt been mentioned.

According to this (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/), Jimmy Mac is the 66th highest paid coach... Rhoades is the 68th. In other words, he is already too expensive.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Mike Rhodes has the easiest job in the A-10. He has a P5 Facility, a large recruiting budget and an reasonably attractive city from which to recruit. There is a reason that Capel, Grant and Smart all stepped on their dicks when they moved on to P5 teams—they were stripped of the enormous competitive advantages they had at VCU and were exposed as mediocrities. If you want to elevate a mid-major coach the best bet for success is a guy who wildly outperforms the historical norms of the program he runs over a period that extends beyond one recruiting class. Had we done that, we’d have never hired Donahue (mediocre but for the one class with the 7 footer Anthony Solomon ran out of Saint Bonaventure) and Christian (did not perform beyond historical norms at Ohio and shit the bed at TVU).

If you want to ignore Schmidt, fine, but maybe consider other mid-major coaches that fit that profile.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:What Bumpers wrote is what I have heard generally for over a year: (1) Fr. Leahy has no appetite for paying people not to work, (2) JC is considered a good guy throughout the administration and (3) the Athletic Department (Jarmond on down) really thought that JC had turned the corner last year (and like the recent recruiting). So, I would be very surprised if he is let go.

Here is my opinion...
Marty doesn't care about BC. He cares about succeeding Gene Smith at OSU. I don't think there is anything wrong with this and generally means BC's interests align. But, I think this also means that he is going to be very deliberate on when he makes a move. He is now just tending Bates' garden. While I think he needs to eventually make a move to get a better gig, he can still package his time here as being handcuffed by President unwilling to spend beyond mid-major rates.

When the time comes to let go of JC, I do not think he will grab a marginally better candidate like Bill Coen or Mark Schmidt from the discard pile of marin-approved candidates (guys who will get us to 17 wins, will not be a reputational risk and make folks who still read the Globe happy). Coen and Schmidt are safe hires you make if you want to make sure that you don't get fired by BC. But, they are not hires that get you notice by bigger athletic departments. Given the eternity that we have been irrelevant in BB, I think Marty has coverage to try something bold/risky. I think he will swing for the fences on the hire. If it isn't a big name, I think he will do something similar to what he's done with his other hires... young up-and-comers who have won and will not get a chance on a bigger stage. He will want to hire someone who is getting approached by major programs in 3 years. That is what helps build the only thing missing from his resume... talent identifier.
If his search centers on coaches nearing 60, "know BC" and won't ever be at risk of being poached by another school... Jarmond is an empty suit with absolutely no power.

The reason I know this is BS, is that in order to move on from a coach in college athletics, you have to pay them not to work. No Athletic Department in the country is letting a coach run his contract down to 0 years, because it becomes impossible to recruit.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:37 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The reason I know this is BS, is that in order to move on from a coach in college athletics, you have to pay them not to work. No Athletic Department in the country is letting a coach run his contract down to 0 years, because it becomes impossible to recruit.

You know what I think is fun? When people use what other athletic departments do as proof of a course of action BC's athletic department MUST take. I guess it has been a long 3 months.
Last edited by HJS on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The reason I know this is BS, is that in order to move on from a coach in college athletics, you have to pay them not to work. No Athletic Department in the country is letting a coach run his contract down to 0 years, because it becomes impossible to recruit.

You know what I think is fun? When people use what other athletic departments do as proof of a course of action BC's athletic department MUST take.

The real question, as ever, is when Leahy will retire and who will replace him.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:50 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

You know what I think is fun? When people use what other athletic departments do as proof of a course of action BC's athletic department MUST take.

I've given up on that. I've been hearing he is retiring for six years. He is older than Monan was when he retired.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I've given up on that. I've been hearing he is retiring for six years. He is older than Monan was when he retired.

Well until that happens there's no real reason to speculate about BC athletics
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Say, look who has coached a team starting 3 freshman that was predicted to finish 11th in its conference to a fourth place conference finish and a conference tournament final berth with back to back double digit wins and holding the opponent under 60 points.

Fuck all of you who don’t think is an appreciable upgrade over JC. You literally know nothing about basketball.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Say, look who has coached a team starting 3 freshman that was predicted to finish 11th in its conference to a fourth place conference finish and a conference tournament final berth with back to back double digit wins and holding the opponent under 60 points.

Fuck all of you who don’t think is an appreciable upgrade over JC. You literally know nothing about basketball.

Meh. JC won in the MAC too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:57 pm

JC won in the MAC at the most successful program in the MAC. Look it up, Ohio had been to the NCAAs 12 times before Christian arrived and Christian underperformed vis a vis the previous two coaching regimes. His only NCAA appearance at Ohio was in his first year, using a senior laden team bequeathed to him by a predecessor who had moved on to greener pastures. Schmidt essentially took on a failure factory that was also dealing with a Three Mile Island-level scandal that almost took the whole school down.

It doesn't matter because as long as Father Leahy-McCarrick is in charge we will suck, but there isn't even an argument that Schmidt's results are far superior to JO'B's at this point.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm

I DON’T want Schmidt. He might be an upgrade over JC but he won’t be able to compete in the ACC either.

There are plenty of good coaches we can get even if we aren’t willing to pay what we should. Unfortunately we are nonetheless stuck with Christian for at least another year. If Jarmond was adamant about a coaching change he’d get it. It’s Jarmond as much as it is Leahy. Jarmond’s lack of experience hiring and firing coaches is coming back to haunt us.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Jim Christian is the winningest coach in MAC history
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:26 pm

JC also coached Kent St to 3 NCAAs and MAC titles. Revisionist history. And he replaced assistant coach Stan Heath there, so if he inherited, he had the right guy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum