New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Thad Motta won bad Big XIIIIIIIs with players he wouldn't get at BC. If he can bring Conley, Oden, Turner and Sullinger here, fine.

Thad Motta wasn't winning games with coaching prowess. BC needs a guy that can win without 3 elite recruits every year.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Thad Motta won bad Big XIIIIIIIs with players he wouldn't get at BC. If he can bring Conley, Oden, Turner and Sullinger here, fine.

Thad Motta wasn't winning games with coaching prowess. BC needs a guy that can win without 3 elite recruits every year.

If spinnelli wasn’t here JC would have been fired already.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Thad Motta won bad Big XIIIIIIIs with players he wouldn't get at BC. If he can bring Conley, Oden, Turner and Sullinger here, fine.

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of his but he won at Butler and Xavier with the type of players he could get at BC.

I am at the don't care level. Wake me when and if they ever get good again.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:34 pm

I’m in favor of Matta on the assumption he’ll bring elite recruits here.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:45 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I’m in favor of Matta on the assumption he’ll bring elite recruits here.

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Preston Murphy going down
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:33 am

And gottfried goes down.

As we all always suspected... d-1 basketball is a crooked shit show
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:50 am

Thad Matta isn’t good because he won’t get elite recruits except for when he won without elite recruits and then went to a school where he could get elite recruits so he did and then had a two mediocre seasons and got fired. Logic!
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:04 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Thad Matta isn’t good because he won’t get elite recruits except for when he won without elite recruits and then went to a school where he could get elite recruits so he did and then had a two mediocre seasons and got fired. Logic!

Yeah he was awesome with an inherited David West.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:31 am

I hear way too often that so-and-so is better than JC. BFD. There are probably 100 coaches that fit that standard. The manner in which BC operates athletics, it is all about th long-term.

The problem isn’t whether there are better coaches than Jimmy Mac. The problem is whether there is such a better coach that he is worth eating the end if JC’s contract and then be handed the keys through 2025.

Are you OK with 5 years of Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, Bill Coen, Tim O’Shea, Jeff Boals, John Groce, Joel Justus or Mark Schmidt? Are they the types that will spark much-needed interest and attention in the program? How many Sweet Sixteens are we going to under any of them?

To me, there is value in the ability to move on in 2 years with a potentially better atmosphere (closer with a facilities announcement, a new president, a better understanding of the college landscape after pay-for-play and one-and-done). Simply, I’m against moving from Jimmy Mac to another treading-water coach. I’d only move on if we could (a) land a massive name or (b) are convinced a young gun like Dane Fife or Darian DeVries can be a savior.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:57 pm

I would be comfortable with Schmidt. I have watched him closely for the better part of five years. I’ll admit that six, five or even four years ago, I questioned his ability from an x and o standpoint, but the body of work over the last three seasons has assuaged my doubts. I have watched him utterly out coach Will Wade, Danny Hurley, Arch Miller and Bob McKillop at different times during that period of time. Throw in Bobby Hurley, Mark Turgeon and Boeheim if you respect their coaching acumen-I don’t, but a lot of people do. He was beating these guys with a mix of raw Canadians, Senegalese, MAC discards and kids no one noticed or wanted and coaching them way up. Now that he is bringing in top of the A-10 level talent it is really clear that he knows which buttons to push.

Out coaching McKillop is a particularly amazing feat. He is an absolutely brilliant basketball mind and would be my first choice we’re it not for the fact that (a) he has already turned down Wake, Georgia Tech and NC State in the past because he seems to have disdain for big program bullshit and loves being at Davidson and (b) even if he could be pursuaded, he is in his late 60s. Laranaga has made the comment on a couple of occasions that he has never coached against a better coach and even K has joked that the best coach in North Carolina might be in Davidson, NC.

In an ideal world BC would act like a school in a destination city in the best basketball conference with a very large endowment, but we know it won’t. As such, Schmidt is as good as you are realistically going to do.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Amaker is terrible on x and o’s. He’s not the answer.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Iggle on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:20 pm

I can barely bring myself to watch BC basketball at this point, so I don't mind if they go cheap and try and give a shot to an exciting young coach and have some churn until one sticks. the only retread I'm even semi interested in is Shaka Smart, who's probably going to get fired at the end of this year.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Thad Matta isn’t good because he won’t get elite recruits except for when he won without elite recruits and then went to a school where he could get elite recruits so he did and then had a two mediocre seasons and got fired. Logic!

Hasn't and can't aren't the same things.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:59 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Correct. Two completely different words.

The point, however, is the same.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm

How excited are you guys for the Jeff Boals era?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm

I fantasize about Jeff Boals every time I'm in the shower.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Who do you want for the job?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:28 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Who do you want for the job?

Not Thad Christian
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 am

our friends at texas a&m have fired their coach. apparently #1 on their target list is buzz.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 am

I have no interest in mid-major coaches who inherit a loaded roster and win a bunch of games. That situation has little bearing on the mess that is BC Basketball.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I have no interest in mid-major coaches who inherit a loaded roster and win a bunch of games. That situation has little bearing on the mess that is BC Basketball.

Who do you want?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 am

Ohio just fired Christian's replacement. Time for Jimmy to return home.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I have no interest in mid-major coaches who inherit a loaded roster and win a bunch of games. That situation has little bearing on the mess that is BC Basketball.

Who do you want?

I want someone who wasn't alive when Woodstock happened.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:25 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Who do you want?

I posted this on a previous page. If Jarmond wants to just cut me a check for $100k I did the search committees job below.

A-List:
- Thad Matta (Ohio St formerly) (this is health dependent)
- Kevin Willard (Seton Hall) (this would be high on my list)
- Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) (also very high on my list)
- Ed Cooley (Providence) (I'm not nuts about this idea, but he would do well here)
- Wojo (Marquette) (He's winning at a school very similar to BC)
- Shaka Smart (Texas) (He's going to be fired from Texas most likely)

B-List:
- Wes Miller (UNCG) (He's young, has ACC connections and UNCG was a train-wreck before he turned it around)
- Mark Schmidt (Bonnies) (He's really well connected & the Bonnies were a total teardown job also)
- Eric Musselman (Nevada) (Doubt he's coming East for this job, but he's a good coach)

Guys I'm not particularly interested in:
- Nate Oats (Buffalo) (Inherited a loaded roster and won. BC is a different animal than what he inherited at Buffalo)
- Bill Coen (Northeastern) (We can do better than this)
- Tommy Amaker (Harvard) (He is a horrific in-game coach and he won't have overwhelming talent in the ACC to make up for it like he does in the Ivy)
- Jared Dudley (these suggestions can't be serious)
- Howard Eisley (no one knows who he is on the recruiting circuit)
Last edited by eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A-List:
- Ed Cooley (Providence) (I'm not nuts about this idea, but he would do well here)

B-List:
- Wes Miller (UNCG) (He's young, has ACC connections and UNCG was a train-wreck before he turned it around)
- Mark Schmidt (Bonnies) (He's really well connected & the Bonnies were a total teardown job also)
- Eric Musselman (Nevada) (Doubt he's coming East for this job, but he's a good coach)

None of these names would be a program defining moment. However, I'd be happy to give any of the first 6 names listed a shot. That said, I doubt any of the first 5 would take the BC job. That would leave us with Wes Miller... who I think is actually a very good choice.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 am

I'd rather go 0-20 every year than have to cheer for Steve Wojciechowski.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A-List:

B-List:

None of these names would be a program defining moment. However, I'd be happy to give any of the first 6 names listed a shot. That said, I doubt any of the first 5 would take the BC job. That would leave us with Wes Miller... who I think is actually a very good choice.

If Buzz would leave Marquette for VT, any of those guys would leave their current destination for BC. I added Shaka Smart to the A-List also, he's going to be fired shortly and is a good coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:None of these names would be a program defining moment. However, I'd be happy to give any of the first 6 names listed a shot. That said, I doubt any of the first 5 would take the BC job. That would leave us with Wes Miller... who I think is actually a very good choice.

If Buzz would leave Marquette for VT, any of those guys would leave their current destination for BC. I added Shaka Smart to the A-List also, he's going to be fired shortly and is a good coach.

In my opinion, Shaka would be a program-defining moment. I think he is an excellent coach who would win with players that he'd land at BC. However, I think he's being retained by Texas. It is a shame though. BC would be all over hiring a guy who is being financially supported by another program.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Who do you want?

I posted this on a previous page. If Jarmond wants to just cut me a check for $100k I did the search committees job below.

- Bill Coen (Northeastern) (We can do better than this)

Good. Because you can't have him. Not for sale. Stay the fuck away from him.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum