Thread where I post articles about BC football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

What is the etiquette for starting new threads?

Do not post links to articles about BC football.
5%
Post links to articles. Each article should be its own thread
14%
Post links to articles. Make one thread and then post all the articles there
41%
Delete your account.
41%

Total votes : 22

Re: Thread where I post articles about BC football

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Jeff Smith needs to be getting as many touches as possible to take advantage of his speed. I like the way Loeffler is utilizing him this year, lining him up in different positions and getting him the ball in different ways to keep the defense guessing. Reminds me of the way USC uses Reggie Bush.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wait, you forgot Jeff Smith played QB?

I forgot he got that much playing time. I knew he was on the roster as a QB but didn't remember he got that many snaps.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Jeff Smith needs to be getting as many touches as possible to take advantage of his speed. I like the way Loeffler is utilizing him this year, lining him up in different positions and getting him the ball in different ways to keep the defense guessing. Reminds me of the way USC uses Reggie Bush.

Surprised we havent seen Jeff Smith try and throw it downfield yet. Maybe saving if for Clempson?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 pm

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:

I forgot he got that much playing time. I knew he was on the roster as a QB but didn't remember he got that many snaps.

He started a crap ton of games and there was a huge controversy over him versus Flutie after Wade got hurt. He also was awesome at Fenway against ND, vindicating the pro spread option, make Flutie a holder camp.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:... make Flutie a holder ...

cup holder...
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Uptown Eagle on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 pm

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:

I envy you. I can still see Jeff Smith during the Wake Forest game, handing the ball off on the goal line as the clock is running out and the coaches are yelling and no one knows what they are supposed to be doing.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:

He started a crap ton of games and there was a huge controversy over him versus Flutie after Wade got hurt. He also was awesome at Fenway against ND, vindicating the pro spread option, make Flutie a holder camp.

My second son was born that year so I barely remember anything from that year.

I also tend to forget the details around the losing seasons...

But I still remember Halloran to Martin in the 1987 Hall of Fame Bowl for what that was worth.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 am

No. 23 BC eager to hit the midwest and take on Purdue
Rich Thompson Friday, September 21, 2018

The Eagles have an opportunity to showcase its brand and enhance its profile in the fertile recruitment regions of the Midwest. Earlier in this decade, the BC roster was stocked with talented players plucked from the states of Ohio, Illinois, Michigan and Pennsylvania. That included three of the school’s best linebackers in the past 10 years — Luke Kuechly, Steven Daniels and Sean Duggan. Kuechly is a Pro Bowl middle linebacker with the Carolina Panthers, Daniels was a Washington Redskins draft pick and Duggan is the linebackers coach at UMass.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_football/2018/09/no_23_bc_eager_to_hit_the_midwest_and_take_on_purdue
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby Los on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:37 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Jeff Smith needs to be getting as many touches as possible to take advantage of his speed. I like the way Loeffler is utilizing him this year, lining him up in different positions and getting him the ball in different ways to keep the defense guessing. Reminds me of the way USC uses Reggie Bush.

Surprised we havent seen Jeff Smith try and throw it downfield yet. Maybe saving if for Clempson?

They ran a play-action jet sweep last week that was very successful. If the backers and corners start to bite on that consistently, that should create some wide open receivers downfield when they eventually pass out of it.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:29 pm

BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 am

Clemson star grew up a Boston College fan but just wants to ‘crush them’ now

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article221363655.html

“I was a big time Boston College fan. A lot of those guys, a lot of those players were my heroes growing up,” Wilkins said this week. “That was my dream school when I was a kid. It was such a big deal when I was a young kid. If you’re from Massachusetts, New England, you know what it means to be able to go to Boston College. That’s really the dream for everybody.”

Wilkins grew up watching former Boston College stars B.J. Raji, Mathias Kiwanuka, Matt Ryan and others and had plans of following in their footsteps if ever given the chance.

“I really wanted the opportunity to play there and everything,” Wilkins said. “Like in recruiting I got really close with them. Obviously things changed as I got older, but that was my dream school as a kid. I know how special it is.”
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:54 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Clemson star grew up a Boston College fan but just wants to ‘crush them’ now

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article221363655.html

“I was a big time Boston College fan. A lot of those guys, a lot of those players were my heroes growing up,” Wilkins said this week. “That was my dream school when I was a kid. It was such a big deal when I was a young kid. If you’re from Massachusetts, New England, you know what it means to be able to go to Boston College. That’s really the dream for everybody.”

Wilkins grew up watching former Boston College stars B.J. Raji, Mathias Kiwanuka, Matt Ryan and others and had plans of following in their footsteps if ever given the chance.

“I really wanted the opportunity to play there and everything,” Wilkins said. “Like in recruiting I got really close with them. Obviously things changed as I got older, but that was my dream school as a kid. I know how special it is.”

I hope there is play where he cant leave the field under his own power and we don't see him on the field again until next fall as part of some kind of "tribute."
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:27 pm

What's Better Than Guys Being Dudes? A Boston College Team on the Rise

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/08/boston-college-steve-addazio-be-a-dude
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:51 am

Holy Cross vs BC at Fenway in 1956

My Mom's ticket from when she was a freshman at Emmanuel

pontiac z24
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:59 am

Romo was BC's best linebacker until....Herzy?

DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 am

I think Waddle has a sports talk show in Chicago?

DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:59 pm

He does. Why can’t we get receivers like him anymore?
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:He does. Why can’t we get receivers like him anymore?

Other than him and Brennan being anachronisms?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:He does. Why can’t we get receivers like him anymore?

I didn't realize that BC had a problem getting slow, white WRs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm

We don’t, we just have a pathetic offensive scheme that can’t get the ball to any receivers. All the talk by Daz that you need 64” WR who run a 4.4 40 and yet the Pats win a Super Bowl with Hogan and Endelman. Thinking back to the days I watched Brennan and Waddle and how easy the offense looked compared to our current disaster of an offense under Daz. There is no excuse for 6 years of this crap.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:We don’t, we just have a pathetic offensive scheme that can’t get the ball to any receivers. All the talk by Daz that you need 64” WR who run a 4.4 40 and yet the Pats win a Super Bowl with Hogan and Endelman. Thinking back to the days I watched Brennan and Waddle and how easy the offense looked compared to our current disaster of an offense under Daz. There is no excuse for 6 years of this crap.

Hogan didn't play and Edelman could beat Waddle in a foot race going backward.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:42 pm

Gather around this is a teachable moment for Teddy.

Point is there is no excuse for BC not to have an effective and consistent passing game. You do not need 4 star WR’s to build a passing game. The Pats have proved this with a short passing attack with small, white WR’s. Hogan played lacrosse at Penn St. Daz has zero excuses for his pathetic passing game.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Gather around this is a teachable moment for Teddy.

Point is there is no excuse for BC not to have an effective and consistent passing game. You do not need 4 star WR’s to build a passing game. The Pats have proved this with a short passing attack with small, white WR’s. Hogan played lacrosse at Penn St. Daz has zero excuses for his pathetic passing game.

Lack of translation. Edelman is fast and Hogan fucking sucked. Your point is stupid. Waddle would not get a scholarship in today's game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:25 pm

The Patriots also have the most accurate QB in football history.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Teddy needs a TIme Out
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Teddy needs a TIme Out

I need the corners filled with the extra revenue generated by the Oakland GM. Chris Hogan dammit!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:14 am

During the Coughlin era, Foley was pretty successful chucking the ball around. Was it the playcalling or just Mitchell being able to catch a lot of passes since he was targeted the most? The WRs then weren't bad, iirc, I don't remember any of them being a 4* player.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Bumpers on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:35 am

Teddy is right, Waddle was slow for a WR, but he could catch anything in his vicinity and he was fearless. Hilvert was faster than Wads, and even objectively fast overall, but apparently thought it wise to imitate Toner’s catching skills.

Does anyone remember the evening news (WCVB I think) sports segment lead-in footage in the late 80s or early 90s of Waddle laying out for a one-hand finger-tip catch? I don’t remember which game, but that was an awesome catch.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 am

I remember Waddle getting knocked out like 2 or 3 times in one game when he played for the Bears and Madden climaxing over all the smelling salts they were giving him on the sidelines--if I recall correctly, he caught and held onto the balls even after being knocked senseless.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:Teddy is right, Waddle was slow for a WR, but he could catch anything in his vicinity and he was fearless. Hilvert was faster than Wads, and even objectively fast overall, but apparently thought it wise to imitate Toner’s catching skills.

Does anyone remember the evening news (WCVB I think) sports segment lead-in footage in the late 80s or early 90s of Waddle laying out for a one-hand finger-tip catch? I don’t remember which game, but that was an awesome catch.

That was against Penn State.

And Teddy is not right, in fact that was one of the dumbest thing he has ever said and I usually agree with him 95% of the time.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium