Do you believe BC buys players?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Does BC buy players?

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes : 25

Do you believe BC buys players?

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Are we the only ones not doing it or just doing it poorly?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Do you believe BC buys players?

Postby sparky on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 pm

I think the closest thing we've come to buying a player would be Rakim Sanders. Didn't we hire his high school coach or something? And maybe getting both Hamilton kids as a package deal, although Jared was a lot better than I thought he was going to be, so maybe that was just a bonus.
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm

John Belien does not.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:15 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:John Belien does not.

How can you be sure when Michigan and West Virginia basketball have long histories of being dirty?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:21 pm

i hope not. we are the worst asset allocators in the world if this is what weve been getting for paying them.

*note id rather pay players and be good than not pay players and be bad
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 pm

If BC is buying players the entire staff should be fired. Not because of the act itself but for how poorly they are doing it.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Maybe we do other things (Sanders/Hamiltons) but I don't think we have any booster cash to throw around. If anyone with any money cared about this program it would be impossible for us to suck for so long. I don't think under armour cares about our basketball program either so it's not like we're getting shoe money.

There might be some more money involved in football for us, but I really can't believe we could be so incompetent in recruiting with money to spend.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm

No. The risk/reward isn't there for the coaches. Why risk getting caught if you can go 0-18 in-conference and still get an extension?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:John Belien does not.

How can you be sure when Michigan and West Virginia basketball have long histories of being dirty?

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2017/0 ... lea_1.html
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:29 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i hope not. we are the worst asset allocators in the world if this is what weve been getting for paying them.

*note id rather pay players and be good than not pay players and be bad

It’s the above on both accounts
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm

What a stupid question. Of course BC does not buy players. The team sucks. You are only supposed to buy players when you can buy GOOD players. If Jarmond paid for any of these guys, then the endowment fund should get their money back.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 am

we could still pay players and be bad – money doesn't make anyone a good Xs and Os guy or a good judge of talent.

I'd be surprised if we are though, just b/c of the really negative association BC has with sports & money - the 80s point shaving stuff and the 90s football gambling ring connections. I was too young to recall the effect of the point shaving, but we got really hammered for the football stuff to the point it gave the drop football crowd what seemed like real momentum to me. Maybe it's just my confirmation bias, but it seems like when this stuff goes bad at BC we get the criticism a lot worse than the factories.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:49 pm

some of you guys are idiots if you think Preston Murphy didn't start buying players until he got to Creighton

it's not that we're any worse at it than anyone else, it's just that we don't have the money to compete

that's all I'm going to say about that

edit: that's not all I'm going to say about that. look at who we beat for Jairus. NC State, Maryland....how does that happen???
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:edit: that's not all I'm going to say about that. look at who we beat for Jairus. NC State, Maryland....how does that happen???

By being dudes.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Under Donahue/Christian, how many players have we gotten to commit who have had other P6 offers?

Hamilton, Tabbs, anyone else?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Under Donahue/Christian, how many players have we gotten to commit who have had other P6 offers?

This is a silly argument and one that has been discussed here already, its not a lack of P5 talent (below per rivals). There is certainly room to improve the talent level here, but schools have done more with less, look at Clemson who has at least made a tournament and been sniffing the bubble with likely similar talent level. Not to mention, the best player to come thru here under JC had no offers (im obv not advocating that, but there is P5 talent here and JC has developed a lottery pick which is even more of an indictment against his coaching style)

- Calvin Felder (BC, Clemson, Auburn, GT, Marquette, Miss St, VT)
- Jay Heath (BC, Georgetown, Kansas State, Maryland)
- Jairus Hamilton (BC, Arizona, Baylor, Cal, Duke, Florida, GT, Kansas, etc...)
- Wynston Tabbs (BC, Clemson, Penn State, Rutgers, St. Johns, VT, WVU)
- Luka Kraljevik (BC, Auburn, Depaul, GT, Illinois, Missouri)
- Steffon Mitchell (BC, Iowa State, Minnesota, Nebraska,
- Ky Bowman (BC, Cal, Depaul, Memphis, Missouri, Rutgers)
- Nik Popovic (BC, UGA, Providence)
- JC Reyes (BC, Clemson, GT, Memphis, PSU, Providence, South Carolina)

Guys who left
- Ty Graves (BC, Clemson, UVA, VT -- Obv. Transferred)
- Sammy Barnes Thompkins (BC, St. Johns)
- AJ Turner (BC, ASU, FSU, Iowa State, Stanford)
- Matt Milon (BC, Auburn, FSU, Oregon State, Purdue, VT)
- Iddy Diallo (BC, Cal, Colorado, Depaul, Oregon State, UCLA, USC, VT)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Under Donahue/Christian, how many players have we gotten to commit who have had other P6 offers?

This is a silly argument and one that has been discussed here already, its not a lack of P5 talent (below per rivals). There is certainly room to improve the talent level here, but schools have done more with less, look at Clemson who has at least made a tournament and been sniffing the bubble with likely similar talent level. Not to mention, the best player to come thru here under JC had no offers (im obv not advocating that, but there is P5 talent here and JC has developed a lottery pick which is even more of an indictment against his coaching style)

Guys who left

That does surprise me. I don't follow the basketball recruiting that carefully. I would say talent is also an issue, if we're only getting 2 or so ACC players per year that is not enough. Assuming they all stay for 4 years, that's still a rotation that is way too small given injuries.

I guess I don't know how it works, but I have a hard time believing any programs were ponying up big money for JC Reyes.

Either way, it's mostly low end P6 talent, in too small an amount, combined with terrible game coaching. Player development has been pretty good, with some great hits (Robinson, Pop) and some misses.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Guys who left

Source? Those aren't the offers I've seen in 247, but I don't follow this stuff that closely.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

In the words of Kevin Millar, "If I'm taking steroids, I want my money back."
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:we could still pay players and be bad – money doesn't make anyone a good Xs and Os guy or a good judge of talent.

I'd be surprised if we are though, just b/c of the really negative association BC has with sports & money - the 80s point shaving stuff and the 90s football gambling ring connections. I was too young to recall the effect of the point shaving, but we got really hammered for the football stuff to the point it gave the drop football crowd what seemed like real momentum to me. Maybe it's just my confirmation bias, but it seems like when this stuff goes bad at BC we get the criticism a lot worse than the factories.

Logged in just to agree with this. In the NFL for example, dedicated and well-studied professionals get their pick on who to take. They usually get at least seven chances, and often times some get many more. You still have undrafted talent and horrid first round picks. It’s hard to accurately translate talent from one level to another. Also to your point on being risk averse, if BC does it then let’s say every P5 program does. We still have to sort-of bid against the others with their own merits, and then be correct on the talent
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Return to Conte Forum