New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby BC923 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Without a very specific facility and institutional support plan (neither of which exists today), throwing money at the above will likely not be successful (both in the ability to land them and their ability to be successful). You truly would have better luck grabbing someone who has shown the ability to win with much, MUCH less.

I agree with this. The "why roll the dice again" argument supposes that Jimmy MAC was a bright young mid major coach, which was not at all the case. It was a WTF hire in every sense
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:23 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Without a very specific facility and institutional support plan (neither of which exists today), throwing money at the above will likely not be successful (both in the ability to land them and their ability to be successful). You truly would have better luck grabbing someone who has shown the ability to win with much, MUCH less.

I agree with this. The "why roll the dice again" argument supposes that Jimmy MAC was a bright young mid major coach, which was not at all the case. It was a WTF hire in every sense

I would throw in Mark Schmidt. I fully agree with Dick on this one.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:33 pm

The names in this thread are as worthless as the incumbent. Take a flier on a young guy. Thad Matta jesus fucksticks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The names in this thread are as worthless as the incumbent. Take a flier on a young guy. Thad Matta jesus fucksticks.

Seriously? Do you have the patience to watch this program suck for 5 more years? Isn't the best solution at this point the biggest name you can get? I don't want to roll the dice on a young guy who is 50/50.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Schdmit is a better option than Bill Coen or whatever ex-BC Basketball player that was suggested.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Not to be all Debbie Downer, but it is a bleak situation for the program and it starts with attendance. If BC sold out every night they could bring in recruiting targets for a visit and not be totally embarrassed. I get we need better facilities, but if the atmosphere resembled a halfway decent program, it wouldn't be so bad. My suggestions (again):

1. End donor based seating. BC is not like other major programs. When you only get about 1-2k for a game against Louisville, you can't charge $1,000 per seat.
2. Free tickets for students. Some may say it doesn't matter, but I recall a game against FSU last year in which I believe they gave students free tickets and there was great attendance. Need to do anything you can to get them in. Or...
3. Bandcamp business model for tickets for students, alumni, employees, and existing season ticket holders. Pay what you can, perhaps with some restrictions, and prevent the complete disasters that are the UNC and Cuse games.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:13 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Not to be all Debbie Downer, but it is a bleak situation for the program and it starts with attendance. If BC sold out every night they could bring in recruiting targets for a visit and not be totally embarrassed. I get we need better facilities, but if the atmosphere resembled a halfway decent program, it wouldn't be so bad. My suggestions (again):

1. End donor based seating. BC is not like other major programs. When you only get about 1-2k for a game against Louisville, you can't charge $1,000 per seat.
2. Free tickets for students. Some may say it doesn't matter, but I recall a game against FSU last year in which I believe they gave students free tickets and there was great attendance. Need to do anything you can to get them in. Or...
3. Bandcamp business model for tickets for students, alumni, employees, and existing season ticket holders. Pay what you can, perhaps with some restrictions, and prevent the complete disasters that are the UNC and Cuse games.

We generally disagree on here, but the above 3 ideas are brilliant
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The names in this thread are as worthless as the incumbent. Take a flier on a young guy. Thad Matta jesus fucksticks.

Seriously? Do you have the patience to watch this program suck for 5 more years? Isn't the best solution at this point the biggest name you can get? I don't want to roll the dice on a young guy who is 50/50.

I have more patience than I do for dogshit like thad matta and ed Cooley. Fuck.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Schdmit is a better option than Bill Coen or whatever ex-BC Basketball player that was suggested.

Schmidt, lol. Dick's version of campion and Brian Gregory.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 pm

https://twitter.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1103148390940999680?s=21

@lasvegaslocally
UNLV will have a new basketball coach next season, according to multiple sources, and his name rhymes with Mad Thatta.

Idk if this is at all legit or not, but it’s out there
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Schmidt, lol. Dick's version of campion and Brian Gregory.

I dunno, your shitty Albany coach turned the Bonnies job down and look what happened to him. Schmidt took it when it looked like the program was dead and gone and the school looked like it was dead and gone and he now has that program finishing top four in the A-10 despite starting three freshmen and losing a guy who is now the first guy off the bench in Atlanta and a guy who is apparently considered the best PG in any of the European Leagues and who looks like he will be on an NBA roster next year as a result.

And here is another news item. If we had anybody other than Buttcut and Ed Fogler handling the post-Donahue coaching search, he would be our head coach now and the program would be infinitely better off. If a guy can talk a couple of 4 star recruits (Osuniyinni and Justin Winston) and a 3 star with a boatload of P5 offers (likely A-10 Rookie of the Year Kyle Lofton) into Olean, NY and a 1900 student school, I am fairly certain he could work with our shitty facilities. He also is a better x and o coach then Jimmy MAC.

With that said, he is probably going to the NCAA at least two of the next three years with the talent he has amassed and is amassing, he is making north of $1 million now, he has use of Les Quick's G6 for recruiting and the like, Bonnies now has the budget to fly nothing but private charters and he will have a statue on campus if he stays for another 10 years and continues winning at his present clip, so I am not sure he'd even want the BC job at this point.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am

If you could boost attendance, you could stanch some of the bleeding while we do facilities upgrades. DBS has to go. No one is showing up. I think the pay what you want with some restrictions is the best way forward, and would go a long way to getting more people in the door. I agree cost shouldn't really be an issue for the nerds but they do show up in greater numbers for the free ticket games, so why charge them any money to get in?

Obviously we need facilities upgrades, but we'd look far less pathetic to recruits if we could even half full conte for ACC games in the meantime.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:19 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:If you could boost attendance, you could stanch some of the bleeding while we do facilities upgrades. DBS has to go. No one is showing up. I think the pay what you want with some restrictions is the best way forward, and would go a long way to getting more people in the door. I agree cost shouldn't really be an issue for the nerds but they do show up in greater numbers for the free ticket games, so why charge them any money to get in?

Obviously we need facilities upgrades, but we'd look far less pathetic to recruits if we could even half full conte for ACC games in the meantime.

If they got rid of DBS, I would buy 2 center court season tickets today at whatever price they're charging (I think it's like ~$400 a ticket right now)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:53 am

Mark Schmidt is almost 60 years old. I'm glad he's making good money and succeeding at one of the worst locales in the country. That's impressive. Him being the answer for BC is about 25 years too late. I'll be shocked and disappointed if the guy we hire is over 48 (and tend to think he will be under 40).

My belief is that (a) we won't have a major commitment soon and (b) won't spend money for a superstar. Accordingly, I think that the best path forward is someone who is unproven but interesting (in the hope of catching lightning in a bottle). A young up-and-comer could also make BC enough of a novelty to help attendance for a brief period.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Mark Schmidt is almost 60 years old. I'm glad he's making good money and succeeding at one of the worst locales in the country. That's impressive. Him being the answer for BC is about 25 years too late. I'll be shocked and disappointed if the guy we hire is over 48 (and tend to think he will be under 40).

My belief is that (a) we won't have a major commitment soon and (b) won't spend money for a superstar. Accordingly, I think that the best path forward is someone who is unproven but interesting (in the hope of catching lightning in a bottle). A young up-and-comer could also make BC enough of a novelty to help attendance for a brief period.

Who are you advocating for an up-and-comer? The suggestions of Jared Dudley thus far are ridiculous.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Mark Schmidt is almost 60 years old. I'm glad he's making good money and succeeding at one of the worst locales in the country. That's impressive. Him being the answer for BC is about 25 years too late. I'll be shocked and disappointed if the guy we hire is over 48 (and tend to think he will be under 40).

Who are you advocating for an up-and-comer? The suggestions of Jared Dudley thus far are ridiculous.

As are Howard Eisley I may add.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:If you could boost attendance, you could stanch some of the bleeding while we do facilities upgrades. DBS has to go. No one is showing up. I think the pay what you want with some restrictions is the best way forward, and would go a long way to getting more people in the door. I agree cost shouldn't really be an issue for the nerds but they do show up in greater numbers for the free ticket games, so why charge them any money to get in?

There's nothing left they can do to boost attendance other than win. Even if they gave tickets away, the nerds and the locals won't show up to an 8 or 9:00 tip on a weekday night unless the opponent is Duke/Carolina. The non-student attendance at Friday/Saturday/Sunday games is decent. Schedule is definitely a factor and BC has limited control over it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I don't think Jared Dudley is ridiculous. It is only ridiculous if you are of the belief that there is a specific path a coach must pass to be successful. I do not.

That said, I am not specifically thinking of any one person. I am of the belief that there are people under 40 who will one day become the next Brad Stevens, Coach K, Shaka Smart, Mark Few, etc. I am suggesting that the folks in charge of BC athletics should try to find them before they have a Final Four run at Butler or VCU (and become unattainable). I am suggesting that BC should run its next BB coaching search like a good mid-major (which means grabbing someone who has shown promise but before they have proven their greatness).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I don't think Jared Dudley is ridiculous. It is only ridiculous if you are of the belief that there is a specific path a coach must pass to be successful. I do not.

That said, I am not specifically thinking of any one person. I am of the belief that there are people under 40 who will one day become the next Brad Stevens, Coach K, Shaka Smart, Mark Few, etc. I am suggesting that the folks in charge of BC athletics should try to find them before they have a Final Four run at Butler or VCU (and become unattainable). I am suggesting that BC should run its next BB coaching search like a good mid-major (which means grabbing someone who has shown promise but before they have proven their greatness).

I agree with HomoJS.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:40 pm

He is 55. He is about 7 years younger than Laranaga was when he took the Miami job and while his resume does not include a Final Four, I don’t think there are any sane people who would argue that Olean isn’t an exponentially more difficult sell than Fairfax, VA.

Everyone wants the young up and comer, but if you look there have been some very good 50-something guys jumping to P5 schools and enjoying success. Fran McCafferty is another example and the truth is McCafferty inherited a really solid program at Sienna. Fran Dunphy is another guy.

Bottom line, if we are going to go cheap—which we will—I’d rather get a coach with a good track record and a few miles on the tires then a completely unproven newbie like Jared Dudley.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Right because it is so easy to find the next Brad Stevens. It is a long shot at best.

No thanks. I have zero patience for another rebuild with a promising coach.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:09 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Bottom line, if we are going to go cheap—which we will—I’d rather get a coach with a good track record and a few miles on the tires.

In my opinion, that seems too much like the thought process that landed us Jim Christian.

Ages of Coaches BC has hired:
Frank Spaziani - 62
Steve Addazio - 54
Dan Henning - 52
Jerry York - 49
Jim Christian - 49
Tom O'Brien - 49
Steve Donahue - 48
Al Skinner - 45
Tom Coughlin - 45
Jeff Jagodzinski - 44
Mike Milbury - 42
Jim O'Brien - 36
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Right because it is so easy to find the next Brad Stevens. It is a long shot at best.

No thanks. I have zero patience for another rebuild with a promising coach.

It is difficult to do. But, some mid-majors have done a damn good job of it (see VCU). If we get rid of JC and do not go out and pay $4mm for a superstar (SPOILER ALERT: we won't), I am of the opinion that our best chance of success (i.e. not being happy with an NIT bid once every 5 years) is to find someone who will be able to do more with less. We pay Jarmond (and Eddie Fogler) a ton of money to identify such coaches. You really don't have to pay anyone anything to identify Tom Izzo or Jay Wright as coaches BC should want to hire.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Bottom line, if we are going to go cheap—which we will—I’d rather get a coach with a good track record and a few miles on the tires.

In my opinion, that seems too much like the thought process that landed us Jim Christian.

Frank Spaziani - 62
Steve Addazio - 54
Dan Henning - 52
Jerry York - 49
Jim Christian - 49
Tom O'Brien - 49
Steve Donahue - 48
Al Skinner - 45
Tom Coughlin - 45
Jeff Jagodzinski - 44
Mike Milbury - 42
Jim O'Brien - 36

False equivalence. Jimmy MAC had already stepped on his dick when trying to step out of the MAC. The fact that TCU drastically improved under Jamie Dixon is a very good indication Jimmy MAC was a terrible hire. Schmidt would be something akin to Skinner-albeit a bit older—although I think the consensus among the A10 cognascetti is that Schmidt’s tenure at Bonnies is more impressive than Skinner’s run at URI.

But here is the real million dollar question. Why is Ed Fogler involved in any way? The Jimmy MAC hire and the debacle surrounding some of the interviews should be completely disqualifying (I have since learned that Schmidt wasn’t the only candidate subjected to a tragi-comedy of an interview by Fogler) and he apparently did a terrible job with the Pitt interview process as well. The notion that an AD needs to hire someone like Fogler to sift through what is a very limited pool of candidates (for any D1 job) demonstrates the bloat in college sports and why the college bubble needs to burst as soon as possible.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Better than Thad Motta
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:28 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Frank Spaziani - 62
Steve Addazio - 54
Dan Henning - 52
Jerry York - 49
Jim Christian - 49
Tom O'Brien - 49
Steve Donahue - 48
Al Skinner - 45
Tom Coughlin - 45
Jeff Jagodzinski - 44
Mike Milbury - 42
Jim O'Brien - 36

False equivalence. Jimmy MAC had already stepped on his dick when trying to step out of the MAC. The fact that TCU drastically improved under Jamie Dixon is a very good indication Jimmy MAC was a terrible hire. Schmidt would be something akin to Skinner-albeit a bit older—although I think the consensus among the A10 cognascetti is that Schmidt’s tenure at Bonnies is more impressive than Skinner’s run at URI.

But here is the real million dollar question. Why is Ed Fogler involved in any way? The Jimmy MAC hire and the debacle surrounding some of the interviews should be completely disqualifying (I have since learned that Schmidt wasn’t the only candidate subjected to a tragi-comedy of an interview by Fogler) and he apparently did a terrible job with the Pitt interview process as well. The notion that an AD needs to hire someone like Fogler to sift through what is a very limited pool of candidates (for any D1 job) demonstrates the bloat in college sports and why the college bubble needs to burst as soon as possible.

It’s the above on the search firms.

I get hiring someone to background check these guys, but otherwise it’s ridiculous.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Frank Spaziani - 62
Steve Addazio - 54
Dan Henning - 52
Jerry York - 49
Jim Christian - 49
Tom O'Brien - 49
Steve Donahue - 48
Al Skinner - 45
Tom Coughlin - 45
Jeff Jagodzinski - 44
Mike Milbury - 42
Jim O'Brien - 36

It’s the above on the search firms.

I get hiring someone to background check these guys, but otherwise it’s ridiculous.

Thad Motta!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am

Why does Thad Motta suck outside of your current stated reasoning of "Because."?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:58 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Better than Thad Motta

Thad Motta went to the Final Four, twice. Why is Eisley better?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:02 am

There is virtually no chance that BC is moving on from JC at this juncture. But, if you guys want to play pretend, you really need to re-calibrate the focus. BC isn't going to be making any major financial commitment that comes with paying for Jimmy Mac to leave and then hiring a coach you've ever heard of (including the past-their-prime Baby Boomers most here are promoting).

In a fictional setting where Marty does more then tender Buttcut's Garden, I think he'd look at folks like Dane Fife, Darian DeVries and (former teammate) Joel Justus.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum