New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:13 pm

I'll be happy when he gets to Addazio. I don't hate him but he pretty much sucks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'll be happy when he gets to Addazio. I don't hate him but he pretty much sucks.

After Addazio's first 12 months on the job, the program has not shown any improvement. ACC wins: 4, 4, 0, 2, 4, 4. And it's easier to succeed in football at BC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:11 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'll be happy when he gets to Addazio. I don't hate him but he pretty much sucks.

After Addazio's first 12 months on the job, the program has not shown any improvement. ACC wins: 4, 4, 0, 2, 4, 4. And it's easier to succeed in football at BC.

Al Skinner sends his regards. It is moronic to suggest it is ever easier to win at football than hoop. Anywhere. Except maybe Alabama.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:14 am

By the way, when Christian starts going .500 in ACC like Addazio, I'll stop shitting on him. He's terrible. And I like him more than most here.

Oh, and Addazio sucks too, but his players belong in the ACC
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:39 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:By the way, when Christian starts going .500 in ACC like Addazio, I'll stop shitting on him. He's terrible. And I like him more than most here.

ACC is a basketball conference. Three teams in the top five. ACC football has 1 that can compete with the best.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:By the way, when Christian starts going .500 in ACC like Addazio, I'll stop shitting on him. He's terrible. And I like him more than most here.

It’s this.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

ACC is a basketball conference. Three teams in the top five. ACC football has 1 that can compete with the best.

The best team in college football is in BC's division.

Regardless, it's far easier to assemble a winner quickly in basketball.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 am

Christian sucks, I do appreciate that he doesn't start trotting out excuse after excuse every time we lose, but he's not an acc coach.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:33 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't know if anyone followed the debate on twitter but there are some vocal Christian supporters out there.

this surprised me as well

even if you exclude christians first several years (which i don't know how you can as they're biblicaly bad) the only programs in conf that are worse than us are: GT, Pitt & Wake
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:18 am

Neither Addazio or Christian would have such an extended tenure at any other program in the Power 5 (with the exception of Daz at Cuse or RU). They are coaches who were shockingly poor choices when hired and have been given a mind-numbing amount of time. That said, both have admittedly trended their respective programs upward (even if overall records have not shown progress). It takes an awful lot of fail for a middling program with no intent to pay market rate to pull the plug. Right now, a school like BC will continue to let these programs twist in the wind until an obvious move presents itself. As boring and uninspiring that may be, I admit that there is some rationale to such a strategy. It is easy to fire someone, the real key is what happens next. My hope is that BC will one day in the next 24 months, the stars will align and BC will be able to execute on a serendipitous opportunity. Until then, as Bobby Knight would say... "relax and enjoy."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:55 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't know if anyone followed the debate on twitter but there are some vocal Christian supporters out there.

I didn't see the debate, but I am definitely in favor of keeping him for next year. He'll have arguably his best recruiting class coming in, a healthy Tabbs, an improving Hamilton, and a very solid Popovic. In terms of ACC wins during his tenure, he has been trending up: 4, 0, 2, 7, 5 (with 2 winnable games left out of 3). The zero wins in his second year were the after effects of blowing up the program with the firing of Donahue. And if you fire Christian this year, you're blowing it up again with a very uncertain future. At least they are trending in the right direction.

He's never annoyed me like Addazio. I would like to see him succeed.

His ACC record is 18-69. His Xs and Os are overrated, and BC routinely plays guys that no other high-major D1 team would play. The recruiting class next year is okay at best in terms of the ACC.

Again, if you're going to spend $1 million on a new coach keep him and spare us the time. If you're ready to spend $3 million or so on a new coach let's fire him today.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I didn't see the debate, but I am definitely in favor of keeping him for next year. He'll have arguably his best recruiting class coming in, a healthy Tabbs, an improving Hamilton, and a very solid Popovic. In terms of ACC wins during his tenure, he has been trending up: 4, 0, 2, 7, 5 (with 2 winnable games left out of 3). The zero wins in his second year were the after effects of blowing up the program with the firing of Donahue. And if you fire Christian this year, you're blowing it up again with a very uncertain future. At least they are trending in the right direction.

His ACC record is 18-69. His Xs and Os are overrated, and BC routinely plays guys that no other high-major D1 team would play. The recruiting class next year is okay at best in terms of the ACC.

Again, if you're going to spend $1 million on a new coach keep him and spare us the time. If you're ready to spend $3 million or so on a new coach let's fire him today.

Epstein is right. We all know they won't hire the right person and will go cheap. Might as well keep Jimmy Mac at this point. His persona doesn't annoy/offend me like that fake, Adazzio.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:51 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Consistently wasting time outs after not being able to inbound the ball doesn't annoy you?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Epstein is right. We all know they won't hire the right person and will go cheap. Might as well keep Jimmy Mac at this point. His persona doesn't annoy/offend me like that fake, Adazzio.

The fake can field an ACC talented team.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Ryan Anderson is weighing in on the program's problems on Twitter. Worth monitoring if for no other reason than to see when it inevitably goes wrong.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:18 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Ryan Anderson is weighing in on the program's problems on Twitter. Worth monitoring if for no other reason than to see when it inevitably goes wrong.

Not saying anything we haven’t said here. Basically, coach doesn’t matter until we fund the program appropriately through facilities, travel and other basics.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Ryan Anderson is weighing in on the program's problems on Twitter. Worth monitoring if for no other reason than to see when it inevitably goes wrong.

Not saying anything we haven’t said here. Basically, coach doesn’t matter until we fund the program appropriately through facilities, travel and other basics.

I don't know what you and Ryan mean by travel. A nicer plane?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:46 pm

outside of a new facility what enhancements are we talking about

don't they fly charter every time now? they've upped / are upping academic support staff

also shoutout to eddie odio for liking that tweet...another example of div 3 players that have populated far too many of our rosters over the last decade
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Anderson's right
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

The fake can field an ACC talented team.

Can't coach them and then unleashes the excuses. I'd rather take Christian and his shortcomings over Adazzio and his bullshit.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Anderson's right

What do you propose they do beyond building a basketball-only facility?

There's nothing more they can do about the fan support issue without winning first. Even then, people aren't going to show up at 9 PM weekday tips. BC is never going to be Arizona. I don't think Anderson recognizes that.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:55 pm

DFG: Instead of renovating Conte, what would you think about two smaller, separate hockey and hoops facilities in the conte footprint? By cutting capacity, maybe you improve the experience and environment.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:18 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:DFG: Instead of renovating Conte, what would you think about two smaller, separate hockey and hoops facilities in the conte footprint? By cutting capacity, maybe you improve the experience and environment.

The most likely build-out will be:
1. Basketball practice facility
2. A hockey only arena (including games)
3. Renovating seating in Conte post-hockey
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:outside of a new facility what enhancements are we talking about

don't they fly charter every time now? they've upped / are upping academic support staff

also shoutout to eddie odio for liking that tweet...another example of div 3 players that have populated far too many of our rosters over the last decade

- Agreed they’ve needed a new facility for 20 years (practice, weight room, lounge, nice locker room, etc.). Fixing this would fix a huge amount of the issues at play here
- I think they fly commercial when it makes sense. It’s stupid to charter from Boston to Raleigh or Atlanta. The team stays in nice places, etc. on the road. I’m sure UofA charters everywhere since Tucson is a smaller airport
- Fan support will always suck for these late night midweek games. Hell there are empty seats at UNC and UVA. The weekend conference games are usually close to sold out
- Stop shooting 3s Eddie
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:DFG: Instead of renovating Conte, what would you think about two smaller, separate hockey and hoops facilities in the conte footprint? By cutting capacity, maybe you improve the experience and environment.

The most likely build-out will be:
1. Basketball practice facility
2. A hockey only arena (including games)
3. Renovating seating in Conte post-hockey

The above makes a ton of sense
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:18 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

What do you propose they do beyond building a basketball-only facility?

There's nothing more they can do about the fan support issue without winning first. Even then, people aren't going to show up at 9 PM weekday tips. BC is never going to be Arizona. I don't think Anderson recognizes that.

First of all, Arizona fans suck. Take a look at Arizona Stadium. Sure, they show up when Dick Tomey is winning 10 or 11 games a year, but they are even worse than BC fans when they aren’t winning or winning 6 or 7 games a year—and that is with a student body of 40K and a million oldsters/alums in the Tucson metro without a professional team to follow. Yes, McHale sells out every night, but they have been a basketball power for 35 years with the worst years being getting bounced in the first round of the tournament. People aren’t showing up because McHale is a palace. Sure, it’s a much better venue than Conte, but so is basically every P5 arena in existence and a lot of mid-major venues as well. People show up because the team is always good.

BC does need a new venue and it probably would make sense to do some modified version of what Notre Dame did—build a smallish hockey palace that seats 5000 and change and then gut Conte and make it into a decent basketball arena—even increase the seating a bit. If you want people to show up you better win, otherwise you’ll just have a more attractive mausoleum.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 am

He’s right on only the facilities part. He’s been away from BC for a while.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 am

Since I've been asked, here is a quick top of the mind list of new coaches. I'm going to leave out obvious home run type hires like Jay Wright, etc.

- Thad Matta (Ohio St formerly) (this is health dependent)
- Kevin Willard (Seton Hall) (this would be high on my list)
- Mick Cronin (Cincinnati)
- Ed Cooley (Providence) (I'm not nuts about this idea, but he would do well here)

I think you could have any of the above for $3 million per year. It's a better conference & a better opportunity.

If you want to bring in Dudley, Eisley, Abrams,(list generic BC basketball player here) as an Assistant Coach that's fine, but these guys have zero qualifications to be a head coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:15 am

again, i don't see cooley leaving PC for this job

outside of that, good list. not on the individual names but that's the level of coach we should be gunning for
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:24 am

Without a very specific facility and institutional support plan (neither of which exists today), throwing money at the above will likely not be successful (both in the ability to land them and their ability to be successful). You truly would have better luck grabbing someone who has shown the ability to win with much, MUCH less.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum