New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Here’s the thing... Marty and the rest of the athletic department really like Jimmy Mac. They think he is a good guy. They think he is good Xs and Os. They think he’s been able to put together some decent recruiting classes of late.

They also know that we don’t have facilities to compete with the rest of the ACC and they know that they don’t have money to go out and hire a star coach.

So what do you do? I think the ideal would be for Jimmy Mac to win enough to keep him around until we get shovels in the ground on something that addresses their facilities situation. That said, we played Cuse today and their were 2 posts: neither about the game itself. We are completely irrelevant in BB. Even the alumni do not care anymore. You can let Christian continue to salt the earth. Or, you can make a move to try an infuse something positive into the program.

They don’t have any easy path forward here... outside of making Brad Stevens the highest paid coach in college.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Here’s the thing... Marty and the rest of the athletic department really like Jimmy Mac. They think he is a good guy. They think he is good Xs and Os. They think he’s been able to put together some decent recruiting classes of late.

They also know that we don’t have facilities to compete with the rest of the ACC and they know that they don’t have money to go out and hire a star coach.

So what do you do? I think the ideal would be for Jimmy Mac to win enough to keep him around until we get shovels in the ground on something that addresses their facilities situation. That said, we played Cuse today and their were 2 posts: neither about the game itself. We are completely irrelevant in BB. Even the alumni do not care anymore. You can let Christian continue to salt the earth. Or, you can make a move to try an infuse something positive into the program.

They don’t have any easy path forward here... outside of making Brad Stevens the highest paid coach in college.

There's an easy path. Just get rid of men's hoop. Frankly they should. They'd have a better record.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 am

Here’s the list of coaches I think we’d look at...
Spinelli, Jeff Boals, Wes Miller, Howard Eisley and Jared Dudley

Spinelli is a hell of a recruiter. Would he be even better as head coach? Doubtful.

Wes Miller may be the best of the bunch. Kinda fits the Jarmond hiring profile of late. He’s young, had decent success and is attainable for little money.

Eisley has coaching experience in the NBA. Has never coached in college and has never been a head coach. Duds has zero off-floor coaching experience. I’d favor Jared as he’s young and likely more relatable to the players. However, he’d have to hire someone like Skinner or O’Shea to be a program patriarch and he’d need to get a top recruiter (maybe keep Spinelli).

Jeff Boals has been terrible until this season. But, may be turning it around. Marty knows him from OSU (so there may be some familiarity). However, the dude looks like the lovechild of Beaker and Dana Carvey. I have a hard time taking him seriously.

Speaking of weird looking BB coaches... someone will inevitably raise Thad Matta (in a Bruce Pearl kinda way). Never happening. We aren’t paying over $1mm until Leahy is defrocked. Beyond that, if Matta wanted back in the game, he’d have much better opportunities at programs that care about winning.

Outside of Jared, I don’t think any moves the needle as it relates to buzz/interest in the program. Outside of Jared and possibly Miller, I have a hard time predicting we’d be better off in 3 years than we are now under Jimmy Mac.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Here’s the list of coaches I think we’d look at...
Spinelli, Jeff Boals, Wes Miller, Howard Eisley and Jared Dudley

Spinelli is a hell of a recruiter. Would he be even better as head coach? Doubtful.

Wes Miller may be the best of the bunch. Kinda fits the Jarmond hiring profile of late. He’s young, had decent success and is attainable for little money.

Eisley has coaching experience in the NBA. Has never coached in college and has never been a head coach. Duds has zero off-floor coaching experience. I’d favor Jared as he’s young and likely more relatable to the players. However, he’d have to hire someone like Skinner or O’Shea to be a program patriarch and he’d need to get a top recruiter (maybe keep Spinelli).

Jeff Boals has been terrible until this season. But, may be turning it around. Marty knows him from OSU (so there may be some familiarity). However, the dude looks like the lovechild of Beaker and Dana Carvey. I have a hard time taking him seriously.

Speaking of weird looking BB coaches... someone will inevitably raise Thad Matta (in a Bruce Pearl kinda way). Never happening. We aren’t paying over $1mm until Leahy is defrocked. Beyond that, if Matta wanted back in the game, he’d have much better opportunities at programs that care about winning.

Outside of Jared, I don’t think any moves the needle as it relates to buzz/interest in the program. Outside of Jared and possibly Miller, I have a hard time predicting we’d be better off in 3 years than we are now under Jimmy Mac.

I’d way prefer JC than any of the above except for Thad Matta.

Playing basketball at BC doesn’t qualify you to be the HC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 pm

I'd pretty much prefer all of them except Dudley. Eisley has coached.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:46 pm

At this point I'd take a chance on Dudley

Hard to imagine who else could bring excitement to the program
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:At this point I'd take a chance on Dudley

Hard to imagine who else could bring excitement to the program

Is there any evidence at all he would be good at coaching basketball aside from having played at BC?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:00 pm

I've come around to the viewpoint the program's biggest need from a coach isn't being good at coaching

Beeker and Christian both know how to X and O
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I've come around to the viewpoint the program's biggest need from a coach isn't being good at coaching

Beeker and Christian both know how to X and O

I don’t think JC has any cue most nights but whatever.

What makes you think Jared Dudley, a below average NBA player would be good at recruiting?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:45 pm

I went to BC during the last 4 years of Al Skinner. The expectation when I was there was we would make the NCAA tournament, and during several of Skinner's years we did. The 05-06 team competed with Duke for the ACC title and many even outside the program saw BC as a possible Final Four team. In Al Skinner's 09-10 season, the team massively under-performed and at the time I thought Al Skinner was rightfully fired (despite making the tournament two of his last four year seasons at BC). With the right pieces, a good coach can win at BC. Heck, I even give Christian some props for having Bowman and Robinson playing on the same frontcourt, which showed some potential of where BC can be with a win against Duke and a mini-run in the ACC tournament despite not having a very good coach and poor recruiting (for the ACC).

There are finite Power 5 coaching jobs and we are in the best conference despite being towards the bottom of the ACC the last several years. If BC is willing to pay, plenty of good coaches would gladly take over the program. With the right paycheck, we could have hired Bruce Pearl or Jay Wright. Instead, Pearl is at Auburn, seriously who wants to coach basketball at Auburn? Auburn was a doormat when Pearl took the job, but was willing to pay. I am hopeful we pay for a great coach but even our current budget can get us an improvement over Jim Christian.

Here are some names BC should consider if they are going to buy low:

Dan Majerle: I've mentioned him the last few years and I know everyone thinks I'm joking, but he would actually be a great buy low hire. If you watch his teams play, you can tell they are well-coached and win games with far inferior talent. Majerle would also bring much-needed buzz around the program, which should pay dividends in recruiting.
John Becker
Greg McDermott: His future is up in the air, and it wouldn't surprise me if we could grab him with just a modest bump from what we are paying JC.
Chris Jans
Steve Alford
Howard Eisley: I'd be willing to take a chance on him. He knows what it's like to win at BC.
Wes Miller: I actually think he would be decent.
Hubert Davis: He has strong ties to UNC, but Jarmond should put some feelers out to see if he'd be willing to leave to become HC. He at least has ACC coaching experience, but is a total unknown whether he can be a head coach. He would get some buzz from his media days and if he can put together a good staff BC may be in good shape.

Buy high candidates - my hope is BC is willing to invest about 3 million year on coach for a serious commitment to basketball:

Thad Matta
Eric Musselman
Rick Pitino: Yes, I'd take him in a heartbeat. BC needs someone who is going to create buzz around the program, and most would agree he can coach. He would happily coach BC if we paid him, and he'd have an opportunity to retire from coaching the right way at a clean program like BC.
Mark Few: He is probably never leaving Gonzaga, but let's at least make the phone call.

There are a limited number of Power 5 openings each year and even less willing to pay in the 3 million/year range. We may not get 1st choice, but we'll get a pretty damn good coach if we pay up. However, even if not I would take any of the buy low candidates over JC. Hard pass on Dudley. As Head Coach are you kidding me? I'd love to have him as an assistant, but let's see how he does there before we hire someone under 35 with absolutely no coaching experience.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 am

Lol on Dudley. Patrick Ewing says hello. Kevin Ollie does not.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Lol on Dudley. Patrick Ewing says hello. Kevin Ollie does not.

Don't forget Danny Manning.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Lol on Dudley. Patrick Ewing says hello. Kevin Ollie does not.

Don't forget Danny Manning.

Ok... no one knows if Dudley will ever coach a day in his life (as an assistant or a head coach). But, to crap on the guy by mentioning Ewing and Manning (you forgot Isaiah Thomas and Magic Johnson) actually shows how little folks understand what makes a good coach.

Players who got by on supreme physical ability make terrible coaches. It is likely because they cannot relate/teach those who aren't the fastest, biggest, most athletic. However, good coaches tend to have careers were they scratched out a role even though they were hindered by a lack of athletic ability. Pat Riley, Al Skinner, Phil Jackson all had decent (though forgettable) NBA careers (Kevin Ollie "says hello"). Red Auerbach and Coach K were great college players who couldn't go further in their careers. A player like Dudley fits the mold of someone who... one day... could be a very good coach.

Duds is a terrible athlete. His noted lack of athletic ability has been a knock every step of his career. Yet, he has overcome that by being smart, playing hard and developing a high BB IQ. During his NBA career he has been known as a coach on the floor. He understands things like spacing and making the extra pass. Whether he has the desire to relay this knowledge is unknown. However, if Dudley ever decided to be a head coach, I am of the belief that he could become a great one.

As for giving him the gig with no experience... that is highly unlikely scenario that would not be ideal for anyone. But, if it is going that route or hiring another boring, cheap version of Jimmy Mac or Beaker, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to rolling the dice with something aspirational feel-good story.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm

The answer here is still Thad Matta. He can recruit like crazy, is a brand-name people recognize and is actually a good coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cremins on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:11 am

jared Dudley would be an amazing recruiter. he understands social media and gets people. he has tons of enthusiasm and is very
good people person, plus he played in the nba for years. he can sell the program better than jimmy c can because he actually
cares about BC. I don't know about his coaching skills but he knows basketball and has always been considered a smart heady nba
player. not saying it would work out but I would rather have someone bringing excitement to the team than the boring and mundane
jimmy c. plus him and jarmond together is exciting, they may actually think about ways to get people to the games together.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

Christian discussed in here:

https://es.pn/2WWH6wH

As is al skinner....
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:41 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Christian discussed in here:

https://es.pn/2WWH6wH

As is al skinner....

Jim Christian, Boston College Eagles (59-94 in fifth season)
What his detractors would say: Christian has one plus-.500 season at Boston College (2017-18). This season's team has won just two games since Dec. 22. Athletic director Martin Jarmond, who arrived in 2017 and did not hire Christian, might be interested in putting his stamp on the program by recruiting his preferred candidate.

Why his firing would be unjust: Coaches are charged with developing elite talent, and last year, Jerome Robinson was the school's highest draft pick since 1982. Christian is navigating through a tough league with multiple national title contenders, too. Not easy to do. And due to injuries, only three players on this season's roster have participated in all 22 games. -- Myron Medcalf

If the author's name wasn't provided, I would have guessed Sarge wrote this for Jimmy MAC.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Crap, might as well keep Christian for longer if Amaker is the best we'll consider. I like Craig Smith of Utah State and also McDermott of Creighton. But it's not like I'm doing a global search here.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 am

Say what you want about Jimmy Mac, but at least he's never killed a guy.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/21/syracuse-legend-jim-boeheim-hits-kills-man-with-his-car/
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:14 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Say what you want about Jimmy Mac, but at least he's never killed a guy.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/21/syracuse-legend-jim-boeheim-hits-kills-man-with-his-car/

Someone from BC basketball killed someone. How else do you explain the ghosts in Conte?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:25 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Say what you want about Jimmy Mac, but at least he's never killed a guy.

He killed TRE.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

He killed TRE.

I didn't realize this all occurred at a rest stop.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:31 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

He killed TRE.

Say what you want about Jimmy Mac, but at least he's never killed a guy who didn't have it coming.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

He killed TRE.

Say what you want about Jimmy Mac, but at least he's never killed a guy who didn't have it coming.

Wonder if JGIII has any second thoughts on playing for a killer
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Were the staff lunchtime pickup games at Kennesaw State not competitive enough? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:15 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Were the staff lunchtime pickup games at Kennesaw State not competitive enough? :ace

Too humid in Georgia for sweatpants.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Mark Schmidt is starting three freshman this year and giving significant minutes to a fourth, has Bonnies at 14-14, winners of 7 of their last 8 and in 4th place in the A10. Plus two of his Freshman, Lofton and Osiniyi are better than any of our freshman (both had multiple P5 offers).

I am going to keep pushing this agenda until Schmidt is 65. Ten more years to go. Of course, Schmidt would probably have to take a pay cut to coach at his alma mater at this point.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 pm

I don't know if anyone followed the debate on twitter but there are some vocal Christian supporters out there.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:10 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't know if anyone followed the debate on twitter but there are some vocal Christian supporters out there.

I didn't see the debate, but I am definitely in favor of keeping him for next year. He'll have arguably his best recruiting class coming in, a healthy Tabbs, an improving Hamilton, and a very solid Popovic. In terms of ACC wins during his tenure, he has been trending up: 4, 0, 2, 7, 5 (with 2 winnable games left out of 3). The zero wins in his second year were the after effects of blowing up the program with the firing of Donahue. And if you fire Christian this year, you're blowing it up again with a very uncertain future. At least they are trending in the right direction.

He's never annoyed me like Addazio. I would like to see him succeed.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum