2019 Beanpot

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2019 Beanpot

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:36 pm

I need somewhere to complain during this game tonight, thus this thread.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: 2019 Beanpot

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm

the 0 fer in OOC has to be one of the most bizarre streaks in sports

is this the first year we have a harvard - nu final?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:36 pm

our long ooc nightmare is over!

once again woll stands tall
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:12 pm

They finally have their lines organized. 4th line is solid, 3rd still needs work, but Gando and Raassen can still play better. 2nd line could be the spark that gets this offense moving. 1st line with Hutsko, Cotton & Brown is always a scoring threat. Defense has improved especially #2. Moore is working his way back from his injury. They needed this game and hopefully they continue to improve. They have the best goalie in college in Woll.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 pm

In this lost season, it would be nice to pick up a Beanpot, which is why I doubt it will happen. That isn't to say Northeastern is any good. They aren't. There were four very mediocre teams playing yesterday, but the law of averages says that this iteration of BC will crap themselves next Monday.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm

BC has a young team that is improving. Having Connor Moore back on defense has really helped. As long as Whalstrom and McBain continue to improve and with Woll in net this team can make a run this year. There are no great teams this year. Let’s go get Beanpot title #21 and the 7th this decade!

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:In this lost season, it would be nice to pick up a Beanpot, which is why I doubt it will happen. That isn't to say Northeastern is any good. They aren't. There were four very mediocre teams playing yesterday, but the law of averages says that this iteration of BC will crap themselves next Monday.

Nah, I say they crap themselves vs. Lowell on Friday, but come back to beat NU in OT on Monday.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 am

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:In this lost season, it would be nice to pick up a Beanpot, which is why I doubt it will happen. That isn't to say Northeastern is any good. They aren't. There were four very mediocre teams playing yesterday, but the law of averages says that this iteration of BC will crap themselves next Monday.

Nah, I say they crap themselves vs. Lowell on Friday, but come back to beat NU in OT on Monday.

A possibility, I’ll admit that would also be in character. With that said, I think it more likely that they play well against Lowell, squeak out a 2-1 win and the narrative becomes “A young BC team is coming of age heading down the stretch. With the best goalie in college hockey they could make a run and be a dangerous team come March.” This will be followed by a 5-2 loss to NU.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Los on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:

A possibility, I’ll admit that would also be in character. With that said, I think it more likely that they play well against Lowell, squeak out a 2-1 win and the narrative becomes “A young BC team is coming of age heading down the stretch. With the best goalie in college hockey they could make a run and be a dangerous team come March.” This will be followed by a 5-2 loss to NU.

BC will be playing with nothing to lose on Monday night. NU, on the other hand, will be coming in with the national ranking and aiming to prove last year's Beanpot wasn't a fluke. I think there's a decidedly greater amount of pressure on the Huskies heading into the final.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:24 am

Both BC and NU struggled against UML especially with Wall in net. UML is an older more physical team than BC and NU and possibly the most physical team in HEA. They held UMass to one goal in a 2-1 win at UMass. That rematch will be very interesting as UML could easily be in the HEA championship game vs UMass.

BC could be without Hustko and McBain on Monday. I like Greco and Walker who will play if those two are out. NU makes a lot of defensive mistakes so I will go with a 3-2 BC win to make it 7 Beanpot Championships this decade.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:05 am

BC, who once again looked horrible and overmatched against a highly mediocre UML will likely get overwhelmed by a Northeastern team that is far more offensively talented than UML. If BC does win, it will be entirely the product of Northeastern choking with the chance to add to its meager collection of Beanpots. This is the worst BC team I have seen since the beginning of Coach Champion’s tenure—the difference is that the first York teams were getting progressively better from the Cedarchuk dumpster fire, this looks like Lenny’s 1992 team—spent and mediocre and lacking talent (Ian Moran was Oliver Wahlstrom of that era).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:06 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Both BC and NU struggled against UML especially with Wall in net. UML is an older more physical team than BC and NU and possibly the most physical team in HEA. They held UMass to one goal in a 2-1 win at UMass. That rematch will be very interesting as UML could easily be in the HEA championship game vs UMass.

BC could be without Hustko and McBain on Monday. I like Greco and Walker who will play if those two are out. NU makes a lot of defensive mistakes so I will go with a 3-2 BC win to make it 7 Beanpot Championships this decade.

Why do you like Greco and Walker? Greco's a nice energy guy to have in the case of injury, but a 4th liner, at best. Walker has been a bust - a total non-factor, especially for a kid from the USNDP.

Hutsko has had a down year, but McBain has been coming on, so that's a loss.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:BC, who once again looked horrible and overmatched against a highly mediocre UML will likely get overwhelmed by a Northeastern team that is far more offensively talented than UML. If BC does win, it will be entirely the product of Northeastern choking with the chance to add to its meager collection of Beanpots. This is the worst BC team I have seen since the beginning of Coach Champion’s tenure—the difference is that the first York teams were getting progressively better from the Cedarchuk dumpster fire, this looks like Lenny’s 1992 team—spent and mediocre and lacking talent (Ian Moran was Oliver Wahlstrom of that era).

Did BC look horrible? Yes. Is NU more talented offensively than UML? Probably. Is NU a better team than UML? I don't think so. Bazin has his system, and recruits extremely well to it. Guys that are older, tougher and commit to defense. With that said, NU should be favored, but I won't be surprised if BC wins. There's still some talent on this team, and it's likely their only chance to accomplish anything this season.

Dick, I will agree that this is York's worst team, and the Moran/Wahlstrom comparison is apt - talented, but flawed. I've heard that Wahlstrom bitches about his teammates on the ice during games. It won't be a surprise to find him as a one and done. In looking at the teams that got/get a lot of kids from the USNDP recently (BC with 5 from the current U-18 roster, Michigan, BU, Wisconsin, North Dakota) most seem to be underachieving, with a all potentially missing the NCAA tournament. My question to you is - is the USNDP producing a lot of ego-filled kids that are looking at college hockey as a stepping stone? Many are switching commitments, and few are staying for four years (except the 4th-line types).

I also agree with you that our rosters lately are not like the ones that won championships - small, fast forwards and big, strong defensemen.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm

There are some rumblings about NTDP, but those complaints have been around for a while. Of course, there are rumblings in Canada that they need to add an NTDP to their junior program because of Team USA being more successful as of late in WJC, so who knows? My own opinion is that recruiting fell off in a big way in the last 3 or 4 years. They obviously had a boat load of young talent when they last made a FF, but when it all departed early it has been pretty much one failure after another since then in attempting to restock. This has been compounded by what talent has been brought in regressing in the program.

It points to two things. One, the assistant coaches and two, has Jerry run out of gas. As to the first, I think the slippage began with the departure of Coach Kav and Brown leaving for the NYRs made it exponentially worse. It is hard to see much of a contribution from McInnis. Maybe to early to judge Buckley, but the early results don’t look good. As for Jerry, he is almost 74. He ripped off 20 years here the likes of which has not been seen in college hockey (at least in the era that everyone was playing on a level playing field). Hard to maintain that into a 3rd decade when you are in your 70s. It might have worked if he could be the CEO type with skilled assistants, but he isn’t getting that sort of help right now.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:36 pm

IMO there's a lot that's gone into the decline over the past 3+ years.

NTDP: bracco, milano, random ginzo not showing.

that plus tolvanen not clearing

plus no longer getting 3+ years from top NHL players (Kreider, Hayes (x2), Cam, Johnny, Gerbe, etc.) turned to 1-2 years from Wood, Hanifin, Sanford, Tuch, White.

all that together means the formula from say '06-'13 or so means you have to reload that much more in every class with the decline in asst coaching it's not exactly on the cav + brown level.

we have also fallen behind facility wise (even though the hockey locker rooms are best in class) as conte is older than when mchugh was torn down. rumor is we won't be behind for that much longer.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:IMO there's a lot that's gone into the decline over the past 3+ years.

NTDP: bracco, milano, random ginzo not showing.

that plus tolvanen not clearing

plus no longer getting 3+ years from top NHL players (Kreider, Hayes (x2), Cam, Johnny, Gerbe, etc.) turned to 1-2 years from Wood, Hanifin, Sanford, Tuch, White.

all that together means the formula from say '06-'13 or so means you have to reload that much more in every class with the decline in asst coaching it's not exactly on the cav + brown level.

we have also fallen behind facility wise (even though the hockey locker rooms are best in class) as conte is older than when mchugh was torn down. rumor is we won't be behind for that much longer.

I agree with most of what you said above. I don’t think the facility race is that big a deal for hockey. By way of example, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, BU and Denver have been playing in nicer facilities than Conte for the better part of 15 years. It didn’t matter for most of that time and I suspect it would not matter now if we didn’t have the current coaching issues. Where Conte kills us is with basketball. If that is getting fixed, great, but that won’t be a panacea for hockey unless the coaching staff ups it’s game.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:39 am

It’s not JY’s fault, if anyone is to blame it’s Greg Brown for recruiting small “puck moving” defenseman. The biggest problem as pointed out above is the top talent only staying one or two years. Until that changes or an age limit is imposed the traditional powers are going to be down. UML’s freshman are always 20-21 year olds, not that talented, but they play a very physical game. They just shut out BC and UMass. BC lost the physical battle and that is one of the reasons I would put in 24 year old Ron Greco. I would sit Grando against UML if we play them in the conference tourney. Walker is another tough kid that can skate. Another key to beating UML is scoring on the power play. BC looked terrible on both units against UML. That is correctable and that’s on the coaches.

NU struggled big time against UML. Yes, they outshot BU 2-1, but so did BC in the game at Conte. NU makes a lot of defensive mistakes and that is where BC will capitalize.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 am

Next year BC does have a very talented 20 year old freshman forward coming in, Mike Hardman. Flipped from Union. BC definitely needs to mix in a couple of 20 year old freshmen every year. They really could use a 6-2 20 year old defenseman next year. Let’s give Buckley some time to recruit his style of defensemen before we judge him.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am

I agree with most of what you said above. I don’t think the facility race is that big a deal for hockey. By way of example, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, BU and Denver have been playing in nicer facilities than Conte for the better part of 15 years. It didn’t matter for most of that time and I suspect it would not matter now if we didn’t have the current coaching issues. Where Conte kills us is with basketball. If that is getting fixed, great, but that won’t be a panacea for hockey unless the coaching staff ups it’s game.

yeah i should've been more clear, i think the biggest issue w facilities is us bussing off campus for practice
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:It’s not JY’s fault, if anyone is to blame it’s Greg Brown for recruiting small “puck moving” defenseman. The biggest problem as pointed out above is the top talent only staying one or two years. Until that changes or an age limit is imposed the traditional powers are going to be down. UML’s freshman are always 20-21 year olds, not that talented, but they play a very physical game. They just shut out BC and UMass. BC lost the physical battle and that is one of the reasons I would put in 24 year old Ron Greco. I would sit Grando against UML if we play them in the conference tourney. Walker is another tough kid that can skate. Another key to beating UML is scoring on the power play. BC looked terrible on both units against UML. That is correctable and that’s on the coaches.

NU struggled big time against UML. Yes, they outshot BU 2-1, but so did BC in the game at Conte. NU makes a lot of defensive mistakes and that is where BC will capitalize.

Go Eagles!

Greco is listed as 5’10”, 174 lb. If that’s what BC is saying, he’s probably smaller than that. Decent 4th line player, but he’s not your answer if you want a true physical presence.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

yeah i should've been more clear, i think the biggest issue w facilities is us bussing off campus for practice

Okay, since you threw it out there, what’s the possible solution?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 am

Leahy is dead set against a practice hockey rink due to maintenance costs. He never understands the revenue potential from building a rink that can be leased out. They are actually money makers, build two on Hammond Pond Parkway, along with an aquatic center, tennis complex, indoor field, etc. Make it a sports center that you rent out to the public when BC teams are not using it. There is sports center about to open in my town and it’s already 100% leased out. The developer did a land lease with the town.

Your other option is to just build a new basketball arena and leave Conte for hockey.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Your other option is to just build a new basketball arena and leave Conte for hockey.

switch that
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 pm

solid period, skated w nu for most of play. obviously bad no goal call but tough to overturn
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:solid period, skated w nu for most of play. obviously bad no goal call but tough to overturn

I think BC is outplaying NU in the 2nd; unfortunate to be losing. McInnis just watched the NU player take a few whacks at the puck before scoring.

Woll has been outstanding. Easily the team’s MVP this year.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 pm

definitely outplayed nu in 2nd, unlucky to be down 2. don't have the finishers
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 pm

BC got robbed on the no goal call. It’s absolutely pathetic that the call was not overturned. BC weakness continues to be their defensemen, their too small and can’t protect around their own net. Very frustrating loss giving up 3 soft goals and not getting credit for one that should have counted. BC should have won the game 3-1.

As far as next season, BC needs Cotton and Whalstrom to return, otherwise they will be starting over breaking in very talented freshman yet again. Losing Fitz and Kim is really going to hurt the defense. They need to find 6’2” nasty 20 year old defenseman for next season. Woll should be back, but they have a terrific goalie in Spencer Knight coming in next year. They could really be an offensive powerhouse next season with Newhook, Boldy and Hardman coming in, especially if Cotton and Whalstrom return.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:37 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Your other option is to just build a new basketball arena and leave Conte for hockey.

switch that

Please, the last thing BC should do is build another hockey arena. Basketball is the revenue producer, just build a first class basketball arena and give the program the facility it deserves, not a renovated hockey rink.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

switch that

Please, the last thing BC should do is build another hockey arena. Basketball is the revenue producer, just build a first class basketball arena and give the program the facility it deserves, not a renovated hockey rink.

corners, you know anything that is built by bc for athletics will need to be privately funded. which sport do you think has more donors with deeper pockets at this school?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

switch that

corners, you know anything that is built by bc for athletics will need to be privately funded. which sport do you think has more donors with deeper pockets at this school?

For the record BC has already seemingly made its decision if you have ever had a visit from the development office. Hockey is to get its own building on brighton campus and Conte gets renovated to basketball only. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink