Camp Leaving / Not Leaving

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Camp Leaving / Not Leaving

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Is this a good move for Camp? Seems like a lateral move.
Unless Camp is worried that the young secondary next year will reflect poorly on him if we post poor defensive stats.
The only thing I can think of is he wants to expand his coaching circle by working with Harbaugh.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm

As a reminder, the Ohio St's and Michigan's of the World poaching BCs assistant coaches means we're hiring quality assistants. It's on Addazio & Jarmond to backfill them with other strong assistants.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Recently chatted with a player from the Matt Ryan teams of the mid-2000s...I told him I couldn't stand Daz and his exact quote was..."why do you think all the assistants leave?"

If we're being honest with ourselves, position coach at Michigan, or QB coach at Ohio State is probably at least on par with DC or OC at BC, but that quote just further depressed me about our coaching situation.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I don't think Jarmond's extension had the effect he hoped it would.

unless there's some rabbits about to jump out of hats to improve the coordinator spots immensely, then this falls on Jarmond.

Agreed. On that front, I would love for Daz to reach out to the Defensive coaches that HCRD kicked to the curb. Schiano adds the Jersey connection we lost. But, Taver Johnson has been a consistent producer as a DB coach. Would love for Daz to use his Urban Meyer connections there.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:43 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Is there any evidence at all that BC underpays coaches in football? Daz makes market salary and I've heard his assistants do as well. I realize Boston is expensive to live in, but you can't live in Boston for a few hundred thousand dollars?

BC pays close to market but gets killed with cost of living. The only apples to apples i remember recently was when TOB took guys down to NC State. All their salaries were public because they were state employees. But go on Zillow and look at homes for 500k in Ann Arbor or Columbus OH and show me where you can get a comparable house within 50 miles of Chestnut Hill. it is not strictly a Boston issue. The California schools deal with it too.

This is true of all jobs. Other professions do fine.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Michigan shores up its ability to win 8 games with 5* talent. Kudos.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Michigan shores up its ability to win 8 games with 5* talent. Kudos.

Can we please stop hiring Italians? Does anything good come from it?
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:15 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Michigan shores up its ability to win 8 games with 5* talent. Kudos.

Which has only happened once in the last 4 years. So not quite.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:53 am

flakes {l Wrote}:Recently chatted with a player from the Matt Ryan teams of the mid-2000s...I told him I couldn't stand Daz and his exact quote was..."why do you think all the assistants leave?"

If we're being honest with ourselves, position coach at Michigan, or QB coach at Ohio State is probably at least on par with DC or OC at BC, but that quote just further depressed me about our coaching situation.

Don Brown's family, including grand kids, are on the East Coast - he really didn't want to leave. The Michigan money was nice, but more importantly, he couldn't stand Daz. Other coaches hate Daz, too.

A football parent (from another school) told me that Daz is well known as being a jerk, so he repels players, too - especially if they don't know if their position coach/coordinator will be there in a year or two because they're always looking to leave.

I think that ATL is right when he says it's a desirable job for a lot of head coaches - market rate salary, nice area, fairly low-pressure, mostly smart players who don't get into big trouble, don't have to do the dog and pony show... and now the facilities are pretty good. IMO, the problem isn't Jarmond, it's Leahy - a guy who won't pay a buyout, won't properly fund/staff the department, and who is a micro-manager (he approves even the smallest of details). He's 70, how much longer until he steps down? Monan was 71. Until that happens... status quo.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:21 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Which has only happened once in the last 4 years. So not quite.

The point didn't need to be accurate to be true.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Make better points.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Make better points.

Don't have to, your grad school nailed that one for me.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Leahy will be 71 or 72 this spring. It’s going to take a medical issue to get him out.We should all be worried if his hand picked BOT lets Leahy anywhere near the search committee
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This doesn’t even make sense. Separate note but Michigan fans are also brutal. Kinda enjoyed watching MSU block that punt.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:34 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Leahy will be 71 or 72 this spring. It’s going to take a medical issue to get him out.We should all be worried if his hand picked BOT lets Leahy anywhere near the search committee

Leahy will be gone and BC will have its first lay President installed within 2.5 years.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This doesn’t even make sense. Separate note but Michigan fans are also brutal. Kinda enjoyed watching MSU block that punt.

Harbaugh is a high rent TOB.

Don't know too many UM fans, but the ones I do know are pretty innocuous.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Harbaugh is a high rent TOB.

Don't know too many UM fans, but the ones I do know are pretty innocuous.

I’m with teddy here. With the talent, coaches, facilities, institutional backing, etc. UM has definitely underachieved in recent years. It is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Leahy will be 71 or 72 this spring. It’s going to take a medical issue to get him out.We should all be worried if his hand picked BOT lets Leahy anywhere near the search committee

Leahy will be gone and BC will have its first lay President installed within 2.5 years.

Leahy has been retiring for nearly five years. I am now at the believe it when I see it stage. I also don't know about the lay president. Lots of people think BC will be one of the last to go with a lay president.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:33 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

Leahy has been retiring for nearly five years. I am now at the believe it when I see it stage. I also don't know about the lay president. Lots of people think BC will be one of the last to go with a lay president.

The persistent rumor has been that Kevin Shea is supposed to take over for Leahy.
https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus ... ident.html

But that’s been out there for years. I’m in the ATL camp of believing Leahy’s retirement when he actually leaves. As for his replacement, I am also in the ATL camp of believing that BC will be one of (if not) the last schools to have a lay President.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

The persistent rumor has been that Kevin Shea is supposed to take over for Leahy.
https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus ... ident.html

But that’s been out there for years. I’m in the ATL camp of believing Leahy’s retirement when he actually leaves. As for his replacement, I am also in the ATL camp of believing that BC will be one of (if not) the last schools to have a lay President.

Shea will never get the president job. This is still snobby academia and there is no way they hire a guy who doesn't have an advanced degree.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:29 pm

247 is saying BC is set to hire Eric Lewis from Colorado State to replace Campanile. He coached one year at CSU and has had previous stops at Tennessee, Georgia State, Buffalo, Weber State and EMU as well as 2 years working for the Packers in def quality control

https://csurams.com/coaches.aspx?rc=459&path=football

https://247sports.com/college/boston-college/Article/boston-college-football-hire-eric-lewis-defensive-backs-coach-128119895/
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:23 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:247 is saying BC is set to hire Eric Lewis from Colorado State to replace Campanile. He coached one year at CSU and has had previous stops at Tennessee, Georgia State, Buffalo, Weber State and EMU as well as 2 years working for the Packers in def quality control

https://247sports.com/college/boston-college/Article/boston-college-football-hire-eric-lewis-defensive-backs-coach-128119895/

Just announced.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:247 is saying BC is set to hire Eric Lewis from Colorado State to replace Campanile. He coached one year at CSU and has had previous stops at Tennessee, Georgia State, Buffalo, Weber State and EMU as well as 2 years working for the Packers in def quality control

Just announced.

Who's supposed to recruit Jersey again? Because this guy has one year of experience coaching in the Northeast.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:47 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Just announced.

Who's supposed to recruit Jersey again? Because this guy has one year of experience coaching in the Northeast.

I thought the new OC was a NJ guy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:50 pm

He attended Bergen Catholic, coached at Delbarton and Rutgers
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He attended Bergen Catholic, coached at Delbarton and Rutgers

And went to CCD at Our Lady of Mercy in Park Ridge.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium