VT game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

VT game

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:23 am

It could get ugly.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Re: VT game

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:43 pm

At this point I would be surprised at more than 4 conference wins.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 pm

who is out?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Tabbs.

Mitchell us playing.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Problems grabbing rebounds today. Ugly.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:24 pm

Chatman picking up right where he left off.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:35 pm

This squad really misses Tabbs. Bowman is still a crappy PG
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Uptown Eagle on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:02 pm

The offense looks like pick-up basketball. I don't see any actual plays being run.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Awful second half. Sloppy, out of control.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Embarassing. Pop looks like he couldn’t be less interested in this game.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bender on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Offense has been bad all game they can't seem to get any good shots, maybe that's partially due to Va Tech's D but it seems disorganized.

Chatman has been shooting poorly, I don't what could've happened, maybe it's just a slump but he used to be automatic any time he was left open, and he's missing free throws now.

The athleticism of the Hamilton brothers has been valuable today, they don't seem as outmatched as some of our other bench or role players.

Refs have been pathetic, they've been putting Tech at the line any time someone sneezes in the lane. Not the reason for the loss, but it's not helping to keep it in range.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 pm

The refs really hurt BC with all those ridiculous touch fouls to start the second half.

This team flat out stinks though
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 pm

Bender {l Wrote}:Offense has been bad all game they can't seem to get any good shots, maybe that's partially due to Va Tech's D but it seems disorganized.

Chatman has been shooting poorly, I don't what could've happened, maybe it's just a slump but he used to be automatic any time he was left open, and he's missing free throws now.

The athleticism of the Hamilton brothers has been valuable today, they don't seem as outmatched as some of our other bench or role players.

Refs have been pathetic, they've been putting Tech at the line any time someone sneezes in the lane. Not the reason for the loss, but it's not helping to keep it in range.

Chatman’s ankle isn’t right which is messing with his shot
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 pm

This game was there for the taking if Christian had prepared the players for it. There was no offensive game plan.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:This game was there for the taking if Christian had prepared the players for it. There was no offensive game plan.

They also came out as flat as can be to start the 2nd half. You’d think the halftime lead would at least give them some sort of bump in energy. Nope.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Christian's in-game coaching is not great, but a reminder of the talent level of the guys who played significant minutes today (based on offers/other schools):

Bowman - Was going to play football at UNC
Chatman - Transfer from BYU
Mitchell - No offers even close to the level of P5. Central Michigan might have been his best offer besides BC.
Jared Hamilton - Transfer from Georgia Southern
Herren - Preferred walk-on recently turned scholarship player.
Jairus Hamilton - Plenty of offers, but underperforming thus far.
Nik Popovic - Don't see any other offers in 247

They appear to be getting 3 decent players next year based on offers and one who is more of a flyer. In 2019-20, even if Bowman leaves, it will be the first year Christian will have a fairly deep roster after a massive rebuild. They will be young, but there will need to be significant improvement. This year is not happening with what they have.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm

When Tabbs plays, the talent excuse blows. The problem is that with him out, Eli Bowman runs point which is unwatchable.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Uptown Eagle on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:15 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:This game was there for the taking if Christian had prepared the players for it. There was no offensive game plan.

This. The team has no offensive identity. I've said somewhere before but given the undersized nature of the team, I'd like them to see them play up tempo and use press to create turnovers and transition basketball. This team is a disorganized in the half court set since Bowman is not a true PG.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:When Tabbs plays, the talent excuse blows. The problem is that with him out, Eli Bowman runs point which is unwatchable.

There’s enough talent to win games with Tabbs. The coaching on a night to night basis isn’t very good
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:

This. The team has no offensive identity. I've said somewhere before but given the undersized nature of the team, I'd like them to see them play up tempo and use press to create turnovers and transition basketball. This team is a disorganized in the half court set since Bowman is not a true PG.

JC doesn’t like pressing and they don’t have the depth to do it
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Uptown Eagle on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:

How many guys do you think are needed to press? Nolan Richardson did it at Arkansas with 8-10 players averaging more than 10 minutes a game. Those teams were also often undersized.

With Tabbs healthy they have 5 guards to fill 3 spots: Bowman, Chatman, Tabbs, Herren, Hamilton the older

They have 3 "bigs": Popovic, Mitchell, Hamilton the younger

They could easily steal 10 minutes from Reyes/Kraljevic, expecially if all you were asking of them is to be the last guy back in a press to use their fouls in stopping layups.

But forgot the whole pressing thing. Just because I like it doesn't matter. If Christian doesn't like it, fair enough. I don't like the whole depth argument I keep reading on here though. They have 8 core players (when healthy). Most teams don't give their 9th rotational player big minutes. The coaching on this team is non-existent. That's the bigger problem.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Bender on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am

Arkansas used to run a press with 10-12 guys averaging 10 minutes per game, and those players were bigger, stronger and more athletic than most of the guys on the BC roster. I think they would need to change their recruiting philosophy to find better athletes even if they were less skilled to run this sort of system. I don't know if Christian is even a good teacher of the press or anyone on staff. To me the strategy is secondary to the talent on the roster, they don't have enough good players to sustain a slow down strategy and be successful in the ACC.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 am

Whole lot of stupid if you think they can press
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Christian's in-game coaching is not great, but a reminder of the talent level of the guys who played significant minutes today (based on offers/other schools):

Bowman - Was going to play football at UNC
Chatman - Transfer from BYU
Mitchell - No offers even close to the level of P5. Central Michigan might have been his best offer besides BC.
Jared Hamilton - Transfer from Georgia Southern
Herren - Preferred walk-on recently turned scholarship player.
Jairus Hamilton - Plenty of offers, but underperforming thus far.
Nik Popovic - Don't see any other offers in 247

They appear to be getting 3 decent players next year based on offers and one who is more of a flyer. In 2019-20, even if Bowman leaves, it will be the first year Christian will have a fairly deep roster after a massive rebuild. They will be young, but there will need to be significant improvement. This year is not happening with what they have.

This isnt entirely fair. After Bowman decommitted from UNC I believe he received basketball offers from Memphis, Cal, Cincy and ECU (obv with a late recruiting timeline). Popovic had at least UGA and PC (I think Reyes had a PC offer as well and visited there the week before visiting BC), Steff has Minnesota Nebraska Witchita and Iowa State. Jairus is arguably the best recruit in BCBB history based on HS offers. Chatman was Gatorade Player is the Year in WA whenever he came out. For a walk-on/underage freshman, Herren has been a low risk bright spot and certainly think he deserved being out on scholarship (I don’t know for sure but I’m assuming someone else would have taken a crack at him if he stayed another year in HS as planned).

There is talent here to win games in the ACC. It’s not elite talent for the most part, but it’s P5 level type guys. There is certainly more than enough talent here to go unbeaten in non-conference in a year like this. I would even give Christian credit for being an ok offensive coach, but too often they seem unprepared and defensively it has just not gotten better. The unfortunate part, is if/when MJ cans JC, you’re likely to see attrition and a complete rebuild so who knows what this will look like from a depth perspective going forward
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:

How many guys do you think are needed to press? Nolan Richardson did it at Arkansas with 8-10 players averaging more than 10 minutes a game. Those teams were also often undersized.

With Tabbs healthy they have 5 guards to fill 3 spots: Bowman, Chatman, Tabbs, Herren, Hamilton the older

They could easily steal 10 minutes from Reyes/Kraljevic, expecially if all you were asking of them is to be the last guy back in a press to use their fouls in stopping layups.

But forgot the whole pressing thing. Just because I like it doesn't matter. If Christian doesn't like it, fair enough. I don't like the whole depth argument I keep reading on here though. They have 8 core players (when healthy). Most teams don't give their 9th rotational player big minutes. The coaching on this team is non-existent. That's the bigger problem.

You've watched enough games I assume you realize the fallacy of playing Reyes/Kraljevic at all.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Uptown Eagle on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:37 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:

You've watched enough games I assume you realize the fallacy of playing Reyes/Kraljevic at all.

They stink for certain, Reyes especially. As a 9th/10th player, you can still steal 5 minutes and 5 fouls from each.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:53 pm

All their scoring comes from 3 guys that will be asked to play 35 minutes while pressing. And they are all guards. BC would never score in the last 5 minutes of games if they pressed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Uptown Eagle on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:All their scoring comes from 3 guys that will be asked to play 35 minutes while pressing. And they are all guards. BC would never score in the last 5 minutes of games if they pressed.

Read much?

I wrote the following a few days ago: "But forgot the whole pressing thing. Just because I like it doesn't matter. If Christian doesn't like it, fair enough."
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 am

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:All their scoring comes from 3 guys that will be asked to play 35 minutes while pressing. And they are all guards. BC would never score in the last 5 minutes of games if they pressed.

Read much?

I wrote the following a few days ago: "But forgot the whole pressing thing. Just because I like it doesn't matter. If Christian doesn't like it, fair enough."

That quote doesn't refute the point, which is that pressing with this team is dumb. I have no idea what Christian would or would not do, but if he doesn't want Vin Baker Jr. trapping in the 1-2-1-1, good.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum