Semifinals Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Semifinals Thread

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 am

I think clemson rolls and ou covers

given my performance in the pick'ems, i guess we're looking at a rematch of when saban ran over manti's gay dead ladyman
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Semifinals Thread

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:53 pm

lovin' this.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Bc w ej Perry put up a better fight
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Started watching film room.

Daz comes off as an idiot in press conferences but get him in front of film and you suddenly realize that he understands the game, he is just socially awkward.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:05 pm

Oklahoma is doing its level best to make Notre Dame look like a decent football team. They should just call this Prison Rape Saturday from now on. Also, as football continues it’s steady decline from a participation perspective, there is going to be less and less talent—most of it of the low IQ variety that will continue to play a sport that causes brain damage—which essentially means no one but the academically inferior schools from the South will ever be able to win a national championship in the absence of blatant criminality and exceptional cheating (ie Ohio State’s last title).

BC ought to get itself a lacrosse program and get behind it, because college football is a dead end.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if Alabama had won by 3 TD's or more. But to be up 28-0 with 13 minutes left in the 2nd quarter is unreal. Granted the Big X11 doesn't play defense. Knew it was going to be long night for the Sooners when Alabama ran the pass completion on the 1st play from scrimmage. Alabama is just so talented and they are able to do this year after year. Light years ahead of all schools.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:53 pm

As I am broadcasting to you from a St Petersberg Marriott internet kiosk, Nick Saban is the man.

Up 31-10 at halftime, he's fucking bullshit. All he is talking about is the 3 penalties on his offense on the last drive. 74 (whoever that pitiful young man is) may not make it out of the locker room alive.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:59 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:As I am broadcasting to you from a St Petersberg Marriott internet kiosk, Nick Saban is the man.

Up 31-10 at halftime, he's fucking bullshit. All he is talking about is the 3 penalties on his offense on the last drive. 74 (whoever that pitiful young man is) may not make it out of the locker room alive.

Seeing Saban throw his headset to the ground was based on his players faults. Unlike Daz in the 3-0 Wake loss at the end of the game whereby he threw the headset to the ground based on his own fault but blaming everything on the players.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Saban's a piece of shit. He's just addazio with NFL players.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Oklahoma is doing its level best to make Notre Dame look like a decent football team

No

ND is about the 8th best team this year

Would be a good game w UCF if Milton was healthy
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 pm

Film room has been entertaining with Herm, Daz, Patterson, and the BSU coach. Definitely the best one I’ve watched.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:48 pm

These blowouts are an argument to just go back to old BCS where they match the 2 top teams. It is a waste to talk more about expansion as adding 2 more teams who cannot compete is akin to handing out Participation ribbons.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:These blowouts are an argument to just go back to old BCS where they match the 2 top teams. It is a waste to talk more about expansion as adding 2 more teams who cannot compete is akin to handing out Participation ribbons.

No.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Didn’t know Herm Edwards was the player who recovered the fumble against the Giants that led to the creation of the “victory formation”. That dude has lead a pretty interesting life.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:50 am

The answer is to reduce the scholarships to 65. Pre WW2 the rosters were 30 players give or take with most players playing offense and defense. Too much talent sits on the bench.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:32 am

HJS {l Wrote}:These blowouts are an argument to just go back to old BCS where they match the 2 top teams. It is a waste to talk more about expansion as adding 2 more teams who cannot compete is akin to handing out Participation ribbons.

Yup, expansion talk is LCD stuff.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:33 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Ohio ... FP_Playoff
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The answer is to reduce the scholarships to 65. Pre WW2 the rosters were 30 players give or take with most players playing offense and defense. Too much talent sits on the bench.

This would help from a fans perspective, but I would say move the scholarship total to 200 and let rich donors pay for more education. It should be about the education in the end.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:15 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Oklahoma is doing its level best to make Notre Dame look like a decent football team.

Question: I watched a few ND games this year and thought they would have a real shot against Teh Clemson. The offensive playcalling stuck out to me as idiotic - why didn't ND call things like rb screens or even a Dan Henning draw play (I died a little bit writing that)?

The Clemson D was penetrating every down anyway and 8 kept missing his blocks ... why not roll with it and try stuff that would punish the hyper-aggression on the sides? Also, their rb #2 looked good but they kept pulling him out for key downs or even when they had made a play or two. There a story there?

Physician friend of mine sees a lot of youth football injuries, tells me the rates and magnitudes of injuries have demonstrably spiked in recent years, and the reason is twofold: intense s&c increasingly available at younger ages plus yearlong single-sport specialization. Whether symptom or cause, the shirtless boy gurus focus on squat metrics and so forth shows kids at the high school level who can hit a lot harder than in prior years. Also, back in the day, good athletes always played three sports - three-sport athletes focused on skills and plays for each sport, rather than having eight months of the year for weight training and conditioning with youtube superstar strength coaches when skills training isn't happening.

Aside from this, though, if I was an ND fan I'd be incensed with Kelly today. And tomorrow. And for the rest of this year or so...
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:16 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Oklahoma is doing its level best to make Notre Dame look like a decent football team.

Question: I watched a few ND games this year and thought they would have a real shot against Teh Clemson. The offensive playcalling stuck out to me as idiotic - why didn't ND call things like rb screens or even a Dan Henning draw play (I died a little bit writing that)?

The Clemson D was penetrating every down anyway and 8 kept missing his blocks ... why not roll with it and try stuff that would punish the hyper-aggression on the sides? Also, their rb #2 looked good but they kept pulling him out for key downs or even when they had made a play or two. There a story there?

Physician friend of mine sees a lot of youth football injuries, tells me the rates and magnitudes of injuries have demonstrably spiked in recent years, and the reason is twofold: intense s&c increasingly available at younger ages plus yearlong single-sport specialization. Whether symptom or cause, the shirtless boy gurus focus on squat metrics and so forth shows kids at the high school level who can hit a lot harder than in prior years. Also, back in the day, good athletes always played three sports - three-sport athletes focused on skills and plays for each sport, rather than having eight months of the year for weight training and conditioning with youtube superstar strength coaches when skills training isn't happening.

Aside from this, though, if I was an ND fan I'd be incensed with Kelly today. And tomorrow. And for the rest of this year or so...

All of the above is correct. Bigger and faster athletes, same sized field, specialized coaching, advanced S&C, equals ever more brutal collisions and a decline in even low level high school participation.

As for ND, that blow out is on Kelly and his shitastic coaching. I said it before the game—Dabo was laughing and joking and Kelly looked like he was going to shit his pants. The talent differential was minimal. Hell, as it turns out, coming out of the 2012 Prison Rape by Alabama, ND apparently has more players from that game still playing in the NFL and had the better pro receiver, TE, O-Linemen, and DB. Alabama was a deeper team, but the major difference is that Saban knows what he is doing and Kelly doesn’t.

Going back to two-way football with limited substitutions would be interesting. It would spell the death knell of 340 lb run stuffing DTs and 330 LB OTs and the end of kickers and punters. Don’t think it will ever happen, but would be cool to see.

The current model is unsustainable. My guess is within the next ten years you see a schism in both football and basketball with the low end academic schools going to a full minor league type model and the smaller schools and the academically superior schools (like BC) walking away and playing a scaled back version of D1 football—call it FCS Plus. Like the Service academies. Of course, that will go part and parcel with the coming implosion of the higher education bubble, which frankly can’t happen soon enough.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 am

The talent may have been equal in some spots, but ND was never winning that game with that OL. Worse than BC.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The talent may have been equal in some spots, but ND was never winning that game with that OL. Worse than BC.

Don’t disagree that the OL was horrible. They were shitty all year. The problem is, that entire O-Line is made up of high 4 star kids and I guarantee you that there will be more members of that O-line making a living playing in the NFL then from that Clemson team. I say this having watched ND underperform on the O-Line for going on two decades and yet every year, two or three guys make NFL rosters and one or two stick around for long careers. For every Zach Martin or Quentin Nelson or Mike McGlinchey, there are ten Sam Youngs, Mike Rosenthals or John Sullivans—guys who were 4 or 5 stars out of high school who sucked balls at ND because of atrocious coaching who get taken in the sixth or seventh round and end up sticking around for a decade or more. ND fans were incensed when Kelly replaced Harry Heistand—who was actually a great teacher responsible for that stretch of Martin, Nelson and McGlinchey and left to be the OL coach with the Bears—with Jeff Quinn, who is a Kelly lackey from his GVSU days and whose only noteable coaching experience was stepping in his own dick at Buffalo. That anger was there all year and the logic for it proven on Saturday. That said, Sam Mustipher is going to play center in the NFL for a long time and Eichenberg, Kraemer and Hainsey are all currently predicted to get drafted when they leave after next year or the following year. And that doesn’t count Alex Barrs, who was projected to be the next 1st round pick and compares very favorable utopia Zach Martin and Quentin Nelson before he blew his knee out half way through the year. They have an embarrassment of riches there, they just also happen to have embarrassingly bad coaching.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

All of the above is correct. Bigger and faster athletes, same sized field, specialized coaching, advanced S&C, equals ever more brutal collisions and a decline in even low level high school participation.

As for ND, that blow out is on Kelly and his shitastic coaching. I said it before the game—Dabo was laughing and joking and Kelly looked like he was going to shit his pants. The talent differential was minimal. Hell, as it turns out, coming out of the 2012 Prison Rape by Alabama, ND apparently has more players from that game still playing in the NFL and had the better pro receiver, TE, O-Linemen, and DB. Alabama was a deeper team, but the major difference is that Saban knows what he is doing and Kelly doesn’t.

Going back to two-way football with limited substitutions would be interesting. It would spell the death knell of 340 lb run stuffing DTs and 330 LB OTs and the end of kickers and punters. Don’t think it will ever happen, but would be cool to see.

The current model is unsustainable. My guess is within the next ten years you see a schism in both football and basketball with the low end academic schools going to a full minor league type model and the smaller schools and the academically superior schools (like BC) walking away and playing a scaled back version of D1 football—call it FCS Plus. Like the Service academies. Of course, that will go part and parcel with the coming implosion of the higher education bubble, which frankly can’t happen soon enough.

With a significant number of HS kids weighing between 250-300 lb., if you're the parent of a normal-sized kid, it has to be tough to let him play.

Regarding the higher ed bubble, there are less and less full-time professors, yet an ever-expanding number of "Institutes" and country-club amenities - and parents are still saying yes and paying up. I welcome a major change.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:50 pm

Football is a southern game. The northeast and Midwest continue to decline in football. I’m no fan of Kelly, but ND can’t compete with the top southern teams. It’s gone on now for so many years that you cannot call it a cycle. Kids in the Northeast and Midwest play hockey and lacrosse. Football is in decline, not growing in these areas. When you see a national tv ad with a ND mom urging other moms to let their kids play football, you know the sport is in trouble. Reducing the scholarships would help with parity.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:13 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Football is a southern game. The northeast and Midwest continue to decline in football. I’m no fan of Kelly, but ND can’t compete with the top southern teams. It’s gone on now for so many years that you cannot call it a cycle. Kids in the Northeast and Midwest play hockey and lacrosse. Football is in decline, not growing in these areas. When you see a national tv ad with a ND mom urging other moms to let their kids play football, you know the sport is in trouble. Reducing the scholarships would help with parity.

This is only half correct. It is declining in the Midwest and Northeast, but is also declining in SoCal and in the more affluent enclaves of the South. By way of example in Cali, Cathedral High in San Diego won states last year lead by Morrison Mirer—son of ND great and long time NFL back up Rick Mirer. Mirer had PAC-12 offers and spurned them to play lacrosse at Notre Dame. His little brother was an all state receiver this year with PAC 12 offers and is instead going to Michigan on a lacrosse scholarship. In Dallas, South Lakes, a perennial 5A power located in a an affluent area, has experienced a 20% decline in the number of kids going out for Varsity. In North Carolina there has been a 15% decline in participation in high school football. The only places where the participation numbers seem to be holding steady are in the poor areas of the Deep South and Midwest. Everywhere else, it is in major decline.

This bothers me a bit. I think football teaches a lot of important lessons and manly virtues that are not learned in most other sports (hockey is a notable exception) and I think we will be a weaker country when it is gone. I still let my sons play and they still enjoy it, but they both like hockey better and I expect football will be flushed when the oldest starts serious travel hockey next year (although I will insist he continue to play baseball and other sports that fit around hockey’s season as I think specialization is bad for kids and their development as athletes).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 pm

There is plenty of talent in Southern California for USC to build another NC team, same with Texas. The population has exploded in Texas over the past 20 years. Those areas can handle the competition from lacrosse, but not so in the Midwest or Northeast where the best athletes are playing hockey year round and the populations are either in decline or unchanged. The negative impact is already being felt in these areas, but it will be decades before the South feels the impact. No doubt it’s the affluent areas that lead the decline. College football needs the talent on the field not sitting on the bench. Jalene Hurt sat on the bench at Alabama for 11 games this year. The stars of the show need to be on the stage. Reducing the scholarships would help.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Los on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Looks like the Dazzler will need something else to do Monday night.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2019/01/03/MNF.aspx
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}: but they both like hockey better and I expect football will be flushed when the oldest starts serious travel hockey next year (although I will insist he continue to play baseball and other sports that fit around hockey’s season as I think specialization is bad for kids and their development as athletes).

Unfortunately kids sports are trending towards year round concentrations in one sport. My son played travel hockey and opted to play in a spring hockey league after the normal season was over, rather than play little league. If that's what the kid wants to do, you have to respect that.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Soccer is year round in NJ, so is basketball. I have friends who I cant plan a weekend out with between their kids and my daughter.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium