First Responder Bowl Gameday Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: First Responder Bowl Gameday Thread

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:38 pm

BC should grab the unwanted ConFlict trophy and use that as the victory trophy for the pseudo win they obtained today.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
The game was played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. With lightning and rain expected to plague the area for the foreseeable future, the game got canceled. Jarmond said the next wave of lightning strikes was projected to be “five times bigger” than the one that originally halted the game.

“The main cell that was going to hit was supposed to be around 3 p.m. That was going to be late in the second half so we thought we would be fine,” Jarmond said. “The weather we saw was not initially going to hit us. It shifted with the wind and it hit us. If that doesn’t happen, I think we’re OK. That was a game-changer. And when I learned the one coming at 3 p.m. was five times bigger with 350 lightning strikes, that was all I needed to hear.”

A college football game takes 3 hours to play. The "main cell" was projected to hit 1.5 hours after kickoff, and therefore Jarmond "thought we would be fine."

Either everyone involved in this game is a complete idiot, or no one could be bothered to care.

WTF

Maybe 3 pm CT Skinner?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Should I read anything into this cancellation and the tamu hoops game ie jarmond?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:48 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Strachan is currently embarrassing the program on Twitter. Good riddance.

For these?!

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More
Also Incase anyone was wondering Boise state was similar talent level to umass, probably a little slower. They know they dodged a bullet.
10 replies 48 retweets 184 likes
Reply 10 Retweet 48 Like 184 Direct message

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More
So happy and proud to be part of @BCFootball. Boise walked out of the locker room smiling, we didn’t have one happy face. True competitors.

I was expecting tweets bashing his time at BC or something. These are not an embarrassment.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:51 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Strachan is currently embarrassing the program on Twitter. Good riddance.

What is he saying?

That BSU left the locker room smiling cuz they knew they dodged a bullet, that they were slower and less talented than UMass... A lot of tough talk considering 10% of the game was played.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:52 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

For these?!

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More
Also Incase anyone was wondering Boise state was similar talent level to umass, probably a little slower. They know they dodged a bullet.

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More
So happy and proud to be part of @BCFootball. Boise walked out of the locker room smiling, we didn’t have one happy face. True competitors.

I was expecting tweets bashing his time at BC or something. These are not an embarrassment.

Win the game before you talk shit.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:52 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:55 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

For these?!

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

Not something that warrants "Good riddance"
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:00 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

For these?!

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

Not something that warrants "Good riddance"

I was honestly expecting something worse too

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

So that was pretty cool. Finding innovative ways to max out at 7 wins.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:42 pm

The player safety angle here is complete BS. That bowl game last year was completely unsafe.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
The game was played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. With lightning and rain expected to plague the area for the foreseeable future, the game got canceled. Jarmond said the next wave of lightning strikes was projected to be “five times bigger” than the one that originally halted the game.

“The main cell that was going to hit was supposed to be around 3 p.m. That was going to be late in the second half so we thought we would be fine,” Jarmond said. “The weather we saw was not initially going to hit us. It shifted with the wind and it hit us. If that doesn’t happen, I think we’re OK. That was a game-changer. And when I learned the one coming at 3 p.m. was five times bigger with 350 lightning strikes, that was all I needed to hear.”

A college football game takes 3 hours to play. The "main cell" was projected to hit 1.5 hours after kickoff, and therefore Jarmond "thought we would be fine."

Either everyone involved in this game is a complete idiot, or no one could be bothered to care.

WTF

Maybe 3 pm CT Skinner?

Okay, they were expecting lightning 2.5 hours into a 3 hour game. Arguably that's worse, because the fix becomes that much simpler
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Strachan is absolutely right to talk shit about the basqueeritos and their inbred program. Fuck them and their racist fans who can't decide between belittling the king of Africa and another hit of homemade meth
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:27 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

For these?!

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

Are you fucking kidding me? Go take a Midol.

My guess is Basque State talked shit during the game. They certainly talked shit before, during and after the Potato Bowl. Fuck those guys and fuck anyone who is offended by Strachan shitting on the team that once insulted The King of Africa.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

For these?!

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

My guess is Basque State talked shit during the game. They certainly talked shit before, during and after the Potato Bowl. Fuck those guys and fuck anyone who is offended by Strachan shitting on the team that once insulted The King of Africa.

He wasn't wrong either, the basques looked worse than umass, closer to uconn
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:49 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

For these?!

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

STRACHAN

@StrachAnimal
2h2 hours ago
More

He wasn't wrong either, the basques looked worse than umass, closer to uconn

In the sort time that we saw them play, I thought their QB looked decent with some skill at wideout but their OL looked overmatched. RB did not impress me in limited carries. On defense, I thought their DL looked capable after allowing a few big Dillon carries on the first series. Didn’t see enough of the LBs or secondary to form an opinion.

P.s. their 5’8” WR showed some serious vert on the jump ball catch he brought down with Sebastian on him tight.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 pm

According to an NCAA spokesman, this is the first bowl game cancelled due to weather. The only other postseason game cancelled was in Hawaii’s 1941 game against San Jose State due to PearlHarbor.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:05 am

I'm expecting Saturday's Clemson - ND game will be canceled 5 minutes in if there's a lightning storm in the Dallas area.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:09 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:I'm expecting Saturday's Clemson - ND game will be canceled 5 minutes in if there's a lightning storm in the Dallas area.

It's being played at what should've been the contingency plan for this game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:18 am

hansen {l Wrote}:According to an NCAA spokesman, this is the first bowl game cancelled due to weather. The only other postseason game cancelled was in Hawaii’s 1941 game against San Jose State due to PearlHarbor.

BC football under Steve Addazio... HISTORIC
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:41 am

Highest winning percentage for BC football since 2009.
Historic bowl game.
Halted a 13-game losing streak against ranked opponents (but had their win unfairly removed from the schedule much like when the racist Basques continued their “home win streak” by conveniently not counting their loss to BC).

Jarmond was justified in his extension.
BC fans are terrible with their “Harvard on weekdays, Bama on weekends” nonsense.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:I'm expecting Saturday's Clemson - ND game will be canceled 5 minutes in if there's a lightning storm in the Dallas area.

It's being played at what should've been the contingency plan for this game.

That game should be played in Jerry World anyway, not the Cotton Bowl. The Cotton Bowl should have gone the way of old Tulane Stadium instead of being renovated and expanded 10 years ago. Is it used for anything else besides the OU-Texas game and this crappy bowl game? Maybe a few concerts and a couple of lousy FCS games.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 am

HJS, you need to change your signature to read "7-5-no contest .... and lovin' it." No need to unfairly treat Daz. If you want to be really nice about it, it could be more like "8ish and 5
... and lovin it" since we held the lead.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:51 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:HJS, you need to change your signature to read "7-5-no contest .... and lovin' it." No need to unfairly treat Daz. If you want to be really nice about it, it could be more like "8ish and 5
... and lovin it" since we held the lead.

Technically, this is Addazio's best season at BC. Even if we don't give him credit for a 7-0 win, 7-5 is slightly better than 7-6. So the game (ending empty, the "null set") helped Addazio's overalll season's winning percentage.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:57 am

We're probably getting more mileage out of the cancellation than if we won.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/first-resp ... 55080.html

All predicted BC spin aside... moving this game earlier by an hour (or 90 minutes) should've been the call. All gameday staff would have already been in place... all security, concessions, whatnot. ESPN was televising nothing at noon and could've easily adjusted as well. Email blasts could have easily been sent to all those who purchased tickets. Social media would've likely gotten to all those who purchased tix on the secondary market.

They still ultimately may have had to cancel the game. But, this would've at least shown some basic attempt to get it in before Mother Nature intervened. By doing absolutely nothing to adjust to the imminent, the bowl proved its irrelevance..
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby mod6A on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 pm

7 - 5 and 1

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:We're probably getting more mileage out of the cancellation than if we won.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/first-resp ... 55080.html

All predicted BC spin aside... moving this game earlier by an hour (or 90 minutes) should've been the call. All gameday staff would have already been in place... all security, concessions, whatnot. ESPN was televising nothing at noon and could've easily adjusted as well. Email blasts could have easily been sent to all those who purchased tickets. Social media would've likely gotten to all those who purchased tix on the secondary market.

They still ultimately may have had to cancel the game. But, this would've at least shown some basic attempt to get it in before Mother Nature intervened. By doing absolutely nothing to adjust to the imminent, the bowl proved its irrelevance..

This was a terrible outcome. Tons of exposure for both teams lost. Only game on with half the country on vacation, local Texas recruiting hotbed, etc. I can't think of a worse outcome, maybe a couple people die in a lightning strike, big whoop, it happens all the time.

I'll bet money there wasn't a lightning strike within a half mile of stadium all day.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Darren6 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:31 pm

As someone who drove 7 hours on Christmas Day from New Orleans to Dallas, the cancellation was very disappointing. The forecast for strong storms was out there for almost a week, it should have been moved up to a 10am kickoff. We did get to see our son perform with the BCMB, only for a short time, and then we drove back 7 hours last night to New Orleans. Meanwhile, about 20 members of the marching band are still in Dallas waiting to get flights home, some having to wait until Friday before leaving. As for the delays, there was absolutely lightning striking very close to the stadium. About ten minutes into the officially called delay, there were lightning strikes almost every four to five minutes which kept resetting the 30 minute clock. With the impending afternoon/evening storms I can see why the game was called, my main beef was that it wasn’t moved up earlier in the morning.
"Laissez les bon temps rouler"
Darren6
n00b

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:23 pm

The game should not have been called off. The lightning threat could have been dealt with given that there was ample lead time to plan for it. Just have enough people hold a two iron into the air.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:The game should not have been called off. The lightning threat could have been dealt with given that there was ample lead time to plan for it. Just have enough people hold a two iron into the air.

A solution from Tex-Mex himself, Mr Lee Trevino.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium