Providence Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 pm

A mediocre performance by bowman they win by 10
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Feel like if Bowman had played they win. Looking forward to his return

Trying to follow without actually being able to watch...where is Pop?

Isn’t he the real difference here?

No, Bowman not showing and not fouling on several occasions were the reasons they lost an easy win.

What a shitty example of basketball. If all college hoop looked like that no one would watch, like the NBA
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Should have won anyway, fouling up 3. Shouldn't have gone down in OT with 3 terrible calls. Shouldn't have mattered that bowman didn't play well.

If he plays well we win of course. But he didn't even need to play well
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Should have won anyway, fouling up 3. Shouldn't have gone down in OT with 3 terrible calls. Shouldn't have mattered that bowman didn't play well.

If he plays well we win of course. But he didn't even need to play well

Bowman played?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 pm

A bad loss is a solid resume win if we just foul up three with 6 seconds left
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 pm

This was a Jimmy Christian Special. Stupid, stupid basketball.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby yurch10 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 pm

Don't care much about bc sports these days, but Christian drew me in tonight.

Then didn't foul up 3 and I'm out. Not even a tough spot there. Providence had the ball doing nothing on the perimeter for 8 seconds. Could have fouled at any point without any risk of 3 shots.

To me that's a fireable offense.

And what's up with a 4 star from chestnut hill not going to bc? Is that a joke or was I misinformed. Unreal loss.
yurch10
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:31 pm

You can blame JC all you want and you should. That said, had Bowman played tonight, BC wins by double digits.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You can blame JC all you want and you should. That said, had Bowman played tonight, BC wins by double digits.

I don’t disagree, but the biggest or certainly one of the biggest parts of coaching is figuring out how to win when the original game plan isn’t working/and or key players are not contributing in the normal fashion. It’s a fine line and if they fouled at the end and held on to win, JC would get some grudging kudos, even if there was some really dumb basketball on display. The fact that the team’s stupidity gave away the game is a major coaching failure.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You can blame JC all you want and you should. That said, had Bowman played tonight, BC wins by double digits.

I don’t disagree, but the biggest or certainly one of the biggest parts of coaching is figuring out how to win when the original game plan isn’t working/and or key players are not contributing in the normal fashion. It’s a fine line and if they fouled at the end and held on to win, JC would get some grudging kudos, even if there was some really dumb basketball on display. The fact that the team’s stupidity gave away the game is a major coaching failure.

I agree, and whined as it happened. Even if you dont foul you can't drop behind a screen on a 3 and you definitely double the one guy that can beat you.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:41 am

according to beacon street ball (@beaconstball a good follow for those on twitter) pop is in concussion protocol
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 pm

yurch10 {l Wrote}:And what's up with a 4 star from chestnut hill not going to bc? Is that a joke or was I misinformed. Unreal loss.

Do you really need to ask this?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:51 pm

- The officiating was a joke and hurt BC is OT
- If you want to be a Top 25 team AJ Reeves can’t go to PC
- JC needs to foul there
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby lobstalova on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:And what's up with a 4 star from chestnut hill not going to bc? Is that a joke or was I misinformed. Unreal loss.

Do you really need to ask this?

I used to buy into the "we didn't get local recruits" narrative but now I think it's a load of crap.

By local I mean 10-20 miles max.

pros
-get family and friends to games to support you (they can watch on TV now anyway)
-have the support system close by (is the support system good in the first place? what does being close accomplish that you can't without technology these days anyway?)
-don't have to travel far to go home?

-am I missing something else?

cons
-if anything/anyone troublesome was around you in HS it follows you to college
-don't get to experience a new place/city/climate/people (this will happen if you make it to the next level anyway, you're not going from roxbury HS to bc to the celtics, better to get a taste early)
-can't focus just on basketball and school (which is what a d1 athlete needs to do)

There are tens of examples every year of kids staying close to home for school, but there are far more of them going away. we can offer these guys all we want but it takes a unique individual to want to stay close to home for school. The downside of staying close to home and missed opportunity far outweighs the positive aspects.
lobstalova
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Local recruits suck. Stay in north Carolina. Basketball here is ass. And that is being nice.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Tabbs was more out of control than usual. I wonder if he was trying to impress Ainge.

Doornekamp was in the house and they announced it. Same with Uka, but he is always at the games.

Foul at the end. That's a no brainer.

At least the students showed up in decent numbers. Good energy at Conte last night, relatively speaking. Also, there was some guy who helped lead the cheers for the students. It wasn't the emcee guy who handles the contests on the court, it was somebody else. I wonder if he is on the BC payroll or just did it for the hell of it. Whatever the case, it helped.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bender on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Local recruits suck. Stay in north Carolina. Basketball here is ass. And that is being nice.

I have to disagree, I'm right now watching UConn play FSU and both of the teams' best players are local recruits, Terance Mann and Jalen Adams. Kellan Grady from Davidson is being talked about as a future NBA draft pick, Jermaine Samuels, AJ Reeves and David Duke would all be huge additions to our current roster. Carl Pierre the starting shooting guard for UMass went to BC High and yet BC never looked at him. That roster would be an upgrade and the NBA is full of young players who are from the Boston area like Bruce Brown, Georges Niang, Wayne Selden, Jake Layman, Pat Connaughton, Noah Vonleh, Shabbazz. No one is saying they have to exclusively target Mass players but if they could land some of these kids it would be nice. Right now Herren is being asked to contribute despite the fact that he wasn't a starting guard on his own AAU team.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Bender {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Local recruits suck. Stay in north Carolina. Basketball here is ass. And that is being nice.

I have to disagree, I'm right now watching UConn play FSU and both of the teams' best players are local recruits, Terance Mann and Jalen Adams. Kellan Grady from Davidson is being talked about as a future NBA draft pick, Jermaine Samuels, AJ Reeves and David Duke would all be huge additions to our current roster. Carl Pierre the starting shooting guard for UMass went to BC High and yet BC never looked at him. That roster would be an upgrade and the NBA is full of young players who are from the Boston area like Bruce Brown, Georges Niang, Wayne Selden, Jake Layman, Pat Connaughton, Noah Vonleh, Shabbazz. No one is saying they have to exclusively target Mass players but if they could land some of these kids it would be nice. Right now Herren is being asked to contribute despite the fact that he wasn't a starting guard on his own AAU team.

Meh. That's a list of mostly garbage from a span of close to a decade. And UMass and UConn are less relevant than BC right now.

I'll take the kid at Providence. The rest is pretty bad.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum