Just who is the fan base that BC needs to "restore"?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Just who is the fan base that BC needs to "restore"?

Postby eagletx on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am

Serious question since on the coaching thread I've read comments about such and such a new coach restoring the fanbase, and I began to wonder who that fan base is that would be "restored".

Speaking for myself and the droves like me that for years paid out the DBS premium until ditching it in in the last two or three years, my attendance at future games will be few and far between at a cost of $15 or whatever the give away prices have brcome.

Then recent grads have been off criticized as being indifferent (need label freely dispensed), so are they coming back in years to come.

Double and triple Eagles are a rapidly dying breed.

And the massive inconvenience of no parking for a casual fan copping a group of tickets for family or friends doesn't bode well for a growing segment of new fans.

So who is this restorable fan base?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Re: Just who is the fan base that BC needs to "restore"?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:07 am

people that like to sit in the corners of a mezzanine level with upgraded food and beverage options and a tupac hologram
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:11 am

Eh, when you win, people care. Not hard to get people in the western suburbs to go if the product is decent. See: all the kids whose parents didn't go to BC wearing Ryan for Heisman shirts in 2007.

Getting to Foxboro from metro west is a nightmare. Play good football and the football fans that live there will turn up
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 am

10 years ago I would have said the DBS people, but I don't think it matters anymore. Winning is the only thing that is going to create buzz around the program and bring the young alumni and locals into the fold.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 am

There is only one person who believes in restoring the fanbase. That poster uses it to further some busted logic regarding making more money by paying coaches to leave and then hiring new coaches for Purdue money.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 am

win and people care. there were >40k tickets sold for 4 of our 7 games including temple. if we hadn't collapsed down the stretch cuse would've made it 5 of 7.

despite the lacklaster home schedule, it appears we will have a decent set up when it comes to scheduling gripes.

it looks like we're going to open the season @ pitt so labor day weekend we'll be on the road & @ cuse over thanksgiving
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 am

Agreed, win and even local people will become fans, but you need to win 9/10 games every year and a someone exciting offense helps.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 am

i think the point being lost from eagletx original suggestion is that there isn't really a fan base to "restore" as much as there is a need to create or win over a fan base.

casual fans that have been curb stomped by jack booted federales are not coming back, million year olds that didn't want to pay for dbs anymore are not coming back (in most cases, because they are dead), alumni that moved out of the boston/north east area are not coming back (i did that for 2 years and it was a nightmare getting from tobaccoroad to boston), neighbors that have had parties falsely advertised on their front walk are not coming back, fat fucks that were too dumb AND poor to get into bc are going to continue to go to wiccan clambakes and are not coming back, etc.

so, that said, to win over a new fan base, we need to offer a product that is not boring and shit (strike one), at a competitive price (accidental foul tip due to the $1 tickets on the secondary market), and a welcoming and fun atmosphere (strike 3 - tailgating is a hassle, game traffic flow is miserable because of the draconian tailgating rules, the stadium needs about 6 more bathrooms, etc.). looks like we have an uphill battle on several fronts, but at least the administration is doing nothing about any of it.

lastly, the nerds suck and there is nothing you can do about that because they are nerds and therefore suck by definition
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:30 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:win and people care. there were >40k tickets sold for 4 of our 7 games including temple. if we hadn't collapsed down the stretch cuse would've made it 5 of 7.

despite the lacklaster home schedule, it appears we will have a decent set up when it comes to scheduling gripes.

it looks like we're going to open the season @ pitt so labor day weekend we'll be on the road & @ cuse over thanksgiving

Haven't seen the 2018 figures, but 4 games >40K seems pretty exaggerated....5 year average a shade over 33K and last year was 35.9K
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:22 pm

Its a very good question.

The reality from my perspective is that of my college roommates (99), all of us had season tickets and parking spaces during the TOB and Jags era. Now, we are older and our kids make life more challenging, but we all gave them up during the Spaz/early Daz period.

The Clemson game this year was the first time since USC a ticket to a BC game was tough. Most of us don't even watch the games unless the timing is good. We care, but not really.

The new coach wouldn't restore anything. We just know the existing coach isn't going to bring a product we care about, so a new one might.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:27 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i think the point being lost from eagletx original suggestion is that there isn't really a fan base to "restore" as much as there is a need to create or win over a fan base.

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:The new coach wouldn't restore anything. We just know the existing coach isn't going to bring a product we care about, so a new one might.

This
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:29 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:win and people care. there were >40k tickets sold for 4 of our 7 games including temple. if we hadn't collapsed down the stretch cuse would've made it 5 of 7.

Haven't seen the 2018 figures, but 4 games >40K seems pretty exaggerated....5 year average a shade over 33K and last year was 35.9K

agreed i have no basis for this but think we really uconn'd up our attendance figures for some games
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm

I think TRE is warming up to the idea of filling in the corners. He is exactly right about the type of fan BC needs to attract. Just look at the Sam Adams section at Fenway Park. They also need club seats like Gillette. People will show up for these types of amenities and a decent team. BC needs to make more revenue per seat and they can’t do that with bench seats. The lower bowl sells well, it’s the upper decks with zero amenities that have thousands of empty seats. No reason they cannot allow tailgating at the Hammond Pond Parkway site, maybe even a RV lot for donors coming from out of state. How about a shuttle bus from the bars in Newton Center and Cleveland Circle. They did open the lots 4 hours prior to the Clemson game and they worked out very well. It’s not that hard of a place to get to. They only need another 10,000 fans to sell out.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}: fat fucks that were too dumb AND poor to get into bc are going to continue to go to wiccan clambakes and are not coming back, etc.

Merry Christmas tre
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Los on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:05 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:Haven't seen the 2018 figures, but 4 games >40K seems pretty exaggerated....5 year average a shade over 33K and last year was 35.9K

agreed i have no basis for this but think we really uconn'd up our attendance figures for some games

IDK, seems about right to me. Holy Cross, Miami and Clemson were all banged out. Temple was Parents Weekend, so I can see that game hovering around 40k.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium