Championship Week Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Championship Week Thread

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:54 pm

ou deserves to be in the playoff and like last year it'll be fun to see tehm against an sec d
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Championship Week Thread

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Memphis couldn’t have asked for a better start
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Dawgs 7
Bama 0

Bama QB Tua injured ankle. See how long he goes before / if Jalen Hurts comes in.

If Dawgs win 2 SEC teams will definitely be in the playoffs. Unless Bama gets blown out which is unlikely.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:10 pm

If Georgia beats Alabama and no one else loses, who are the top 4???

Does Oklahoma get in? Georgia? Does ND get knocked out???
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:21 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:If Georgia beats Alabama and no one else loses, who are the top 4???

Does Oklahoma get in? Georgia? Does ND get knocked out???

My guess is that if Georgia and Clemson win ND will be out.

Final Four in no particular order:

Georgia
Bama
Clemson
Oklahoma

ND would have an uproar if they got knocked out. But this scenario just may happen.

Georgia just scored. 21-7 lead.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm

Just the thought of the angst in South Bend if that happens makes all the Daz shit almost go away.

Almost. That would be glorious...

Edit: also comeuppance for the ND arrogance for not joining a conference when they should have.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby Los on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:31 pm

I don't think you can leave out an undefeated ND, as much as I'd love to see ND fans' heads explode were that to happen. If UGA wins tonight the drama will be how the committee justifies either A) leaving out an Alabama team that everyone felt was far and away the most talented (and dominant) team in the country or B) leaving out TWO one-loss champions from the Big XII and Big Ten.

I'm rooting for option B because I think that gets us closer to an 8 team playoff.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:33 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:Just the thought of the angst in South Bend if that happens makes all the Daz shit almost go away.

Almost. That would be glorious...

Edit: also comeuppance for the ND arrogance for not joining a conference when they should have.

Yes, if ND joined a conference and went undefeated they would be in. They should be in the Big Ten. Hopefully their Independent status knocks them out. The playoffs really should be an 8 team playoff though.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:15 pm

i wouldn't stop laughing till i realized daz is still our hc if they left out an undefeated nd
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:33 pm

It will never happen. There is quite literally no mathematical way ND is kept out. They outperform every other team on strength of schedule, wins over the top 25 and, if Bama loses, wins over FBS teams. Bama losing finishes Oklahoma. If Clemson were to lose, it finishes Clemson and OU is back in.

Lots of inferiority complexes on display here. I don’t feel inferior to ND, so Indont make stupid comments about them.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 pm

28-21 Georgia leads after Bama TD. That missed FG by Blankenship of Georgia could be costly. Would have put Georgia 3 scores at the time. Blankenship definitely looks like a nerd with those glasses though. An SEC school with a nerd, go figure.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:It will never happen. There is quite literally no mathematical way ND is kept out. They outperform every other team on strength of schedule, wins over the top 25 and, if Bama loses, wins over FBS teams. Bama losing finishes Oklahoma. If Clemson were to lose, it finishes Clemson and OU is back in.

Lots of inferiority complexes on display here. I don’t feel inferior to ND, so Indont make stupid comments about them.

I don't feel inferior to ND either. Just don't think a team that is not a member of a P5 conference should be in a 4 team playoff. Now a 8 team playoff definitely ND should be in as well as UCF if they were to have won today and have had a healthy starting QB.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:Dawgs 7
Bama 0

Bama QB Tua injured ankle. See how long he goes before / if Jalen Hurts comes in.

If Dawgs win 2 SEC teams will definitely be in the playoffs. Unless Bama gets blown out which is unlikely.

Tua now out and appears to be out for the game. Jalen Hurts in for a second chance.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:21 pm

This reminds me of how the past offseason, one of the bc interruption guys was very public that “we don’t need Hurts to transfer here we’re set at qb “ when someone threw out a hypoth tidal transfer plea on twitter
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:28-21 Georgia leads after Bama TD. That missed FG by Blankenship of Georgia could be costly. Would have put Georgia 3 scores at the time. Blankenship definitely looks like a nerd with those glasses though. An SEC school with a nerd, go figure.

It is not possible for ND to miss the playoffs.

It is ALSO not possible for Alabama to miss the playoffs. This SEC Championship is giving the people who live in Ohio and Oklahoma a heart attack.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:23 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:It will never happen. There is quite literally no mathematical way ND is kept out. They outperform every other team on strength of schedule, wins over the top 25 and, if Bama loses, wins over FBS teams. Bama losing finishes Oklahoma. If Clemson were to lose, it finishes Clemson and OU is back in.

I don't feel inferior to ND either. Just don't think a team that is not a member of a P5 conference should be in a 4 team playoff. Now a 8 team playoff definitely ND should be in as well as UCF if they were to have won today and have had a healthy starting QB.

Holy crap. UCF now ahead of Memphis.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby ricosuave on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Maybe the worst trick play call of all time
ricosuave
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:36 pm

kirby why? esp w saban leaving his normal d on the fiedl

good for jalen
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Pitt's fake punt against ND was worse. And there was this one:

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby ricosuave on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Really cool redemption story for Hurts. Good for him.
ricosuave
Carney Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:kirby why? esp w saban leaving his normal d on the fiedl

good for jalen

Yes why is the question. Glad for Jalen Hurts as well. QB controversy now for the Crimson Tide. Who do you start for the CFB playoffs, assuming Tua is healthy?
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:26 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:

Why. They played a harder schedule then the P5 conference champions—although by virtue of its win over Georgia, Alabama May edge them in the most respected SOS metric. Better than Clemson, better than either Ohio a state or Northwestern (who they clubbed at NW) and better than Oklahoma—won’t even mention the PAC 12. Also didn’t shit the bed like OSU and Oklahoma against bad or mediocre opponents. The fact is, conferences are going to be obsolete in a few years time due to the way the product is delivered to the consumers. One of the big reasons ND has elected to stay independent—tradition aside—is that they have been forward thinking enough to recognize their is going to be a major realignment in college football. Texas almost went independent a couple of years ago for the same reason ND remains independent. Unfortunately, the bottom fell out on their football program and they lost their nerve. USC has considered moving in that direction, and I’d be stunned if Oklahoma—which is already experimenting with PPV games and Bama, which is purportedly extremely unhappy with its national media exposure aren’t looking at independence for football.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
bcshater {l Wrote}:

Why. They played a harder schedule then the P5 conference champions—although by virtue of its win over Georgia, Alabama May edge them in the most respected SOS metric. Better than Clemson, better than either Ohio a state or Northwestern (who they clubbed at NW) and better than Oklahoma—won’t even mention the PAC 12. Also didn’t shit the bed like OSU and Oklahoma against bad or mediocre opponents. The fact is, conferences are going to be obsolete in a few years time due to the way the product is delivered to the consumers. One of the big reasons ND has elected to stay independent—tradition aside—is that they have been forward thinking enough to recognize their is going to be a major realignment in college football. Texas almost went independent a couple of years ago for the same reason ND remains independent. Unfortunately, the bottom fell out on their football program and they lost their nerve. USC has considered moving in that direction, and I’d be stunned if Oklahoma—which is already experimenting with PPV games and Bama, which is purportedly extremely unhappy with its national media exposure aren’t looking at independence for football.

Nice post for which I do not have a rebuttal for at this time, and probably never will. It will be interesting if all conferences are obsolete. A scheduling nightmare for AD's though for those schools who are not already independents.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

forgive me for speaking ill of angry ty's beloved lady of the lake but:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... 3-rankings

sos (before this weekend):
georgia: 33
alabama: 35
oklahoma: 44
ohio state: 49
team scissor lift: 61
clemson: 79

*bc 39
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Well except for the fact that it is a made up and arbitrary metric and not one of the two considered by the Committee, that is a good point Claver. However, after checking, in the real world, ND is second only to Bama in SOS.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Too many words dedicated to ND for me to read. But, it seems that Dick just touted ND’s SOS and then (when shown to otherwise) claimed SOS was a useless/arbitrary metric.

People wasting their time with schadenfreude over ND are the problem. Who gives a fuck? They will get their doors blown off by Clem, Bama and UGA. They’d probably lose to OSU. But... they are undefeated after playing a crazy difficult schedule that (by mere happenstance) turned out not to be at all difficult. This wasn’t UCF scheduling Pitt as it’s only Power 5 game.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Former BC QB Brian St. Pierre St. John's Prep leading Catholic Memorial 26-22 approaching the end of the 3rd quarter in the D1 Championship Game for Mass. High Schools. St. Pierre the HC at St. Johns.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:33 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
bcshater {l Wrote}:

:laugh

My goodness Dick. There is so much wrong with everything you just said. You are providing excellent answers but you are providing answers to ALL the wrong questions. Why do teams go independent?

• ND is independent (and remains independent) because they are the PREMIERE Roman Catholic University for the entire United States of America. There is no Catholic college in this country with such a large subway fan base; Dan Ruttiger's father who ONLY watched Notre Dame on his television even though (much like me with BC) he never attended
  • Since they are the premiere Catholic University for the United States they have enough popularity and clout to negotiate their own private television contract with major broadcasting networks. They do that and they don't have to share any money. Greed.
  • More to the point, because they ARE the premiere Catholic University of the country with their own television contract, they have zero trouble scheduling opponents (and they can even force said opponents into one-sided contracts/deals where they don't even get a home game!) THAT is why they are (and remain) independent.
  • Conferences aren't going anywhere. Alabama is only Alabama because they can beat the ever-living-fuck out of Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State. Remove all their opponents and now they have to schedule Mississippi for their annual beating. That is not quite so easy for an AD (not unless you are Notre Dame.)
  • Texas did what they did (fucked over the Pac-10 so many years ago by saying they would join all the time KNOWING they would not) simply to blackmail/shakedownnegotiate a much better deal with Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, and Texas Tech. They all had to bend over and take it up the ass and give Texas everything (they give Texas a much bigger piece of the conference money) because they were the school with all the clout which brought in all the money for everyone else. That is why Mizzou and A&M said fuck you were are done with you.
  • The USC IS the Pac-12. They have enough clout to screw Utah, ASU, and Oregon State at any moment but they simply choose not to do so because.... geography. USC needs opponents and they don't want to have to travel all over creation to play a game. The West Coast is nothing like the East Coast for College football Dick. I'll bet that there are 50 (or more) universities in the Eastern Time Zone that each offer 85 full football scholarships. We can not say that about my neck of the woods.

Schools go independent (and stay that way) just for money. But only a teeny-tiny number of schools can actually do that because they are the ones with the clout. They make a calculated gamble that the open-market offers them more by going on their own than it does to join a conference. That is what BYU decided to do the day Utah joined the Pac-12/BCS/Power-5 and they didn't get an invite. The LDS felt shafted Dick. BYU believes that they have at least as much clout (maybe more) than the Utes do and playing in the WAC/MW does nothing for them. Nothing. Moreover, going on their own means they don't have a shitball WAC contract to get OUT of if they ever DO get an invite. They can just, join. Best to go on their own and hope against hope that the NCAA strong arms the Big-XII into forcing them to actually expand back to 12 teams if they want that $17,000,000 conference championship game. Well, the Big-XII (well, really just Texas and Oklahoma) was able to strong arm the NCAA into getting that game with just ten teams (amazing, they break their own NCAA rule) and BYU has been crying ever since. They are independent and they would do anything (I mean ANYTHING!!!!!) to join a Power-5. At the moment, the LDS hate their independence.

The New York Yankees are only worth $4,000,000,000 (or whatever it is) as long as their are teams like KC, Tampa, Detroit, and Baltimore to whale on. But New York still has to match up against Houston, Cleveland, and the Red Sox. The value of a sports program is predicated entirely around the concept that you will have a schedule of opponents that your fans want to see you beat. Notre Dame would NOT accomplish that (nor would NBC be willing to pay them big bucks) if they were stuck playing Central Michigan, Kent State, Indiana, ECU, Buffalo, Purdue, and Miami of Ohio every year. Dick, never-ever apply to be an AD for a major university until you have taken another red pill.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 am

Eh, if you remove the logo from the equation, ND's actually a pretty fun team to watch this year. Don't overthink it: the rules really are "if you're a Power 5 team or Notre Dame and you go undefeated, you get in." Sure it's arbitrary but we all know this at the beginning of the season so why bitch now.

I also don't think people who are tired of the coverage of ND have an inferiority complex. They're just annoyed. It's not like they compensate for something in their lives by pretending to be a big swinging dick member of the East Coast 1% on a weird football internet board or anything.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:26 pm

I don't care about ND and I don't have to soon. Finis.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium