Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am

Judgment Day?

The fact that we haven't heard any rumors leads me to believe that Jarmond is holding his cards to his chest really tight or the Heinz Hammer has a reprieve. It's hard to keep anything quiet these days with mobile phones, social media, etc.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 am

my assumption is that the gym teacher keeps his job and i, in turn, stop caring about bc athletics in any way.

the aTm game was freaking incredible saturday night and i think i found my permanent replacement of a new maroon school to root for. gig'em aggies...

now i just need a basketball team replacement while i support my local professional hockey team
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:58 am

Afraudzio goes, Christian stays.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:now i just need a basketball team replacement while i support my local professional hockey team

How about the Billikens?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:17 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:now i just need a basketball team replacement while i support my local professional hockey team

How about the Billikens?

they lost to pitt on wednesday so the jury is still out on them. and with aTm at 2-4, they are out as well - although i will likely be rooting for them on 12/8
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:30 am

I don't think Addazio will turn out to be a great hire
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:5 wins this year is fine. Ideally I'd like to see us in a bowl game and I don't think getting that 6th win is too much of a stretch, but everyone here has their expectations somewhere in the 4-7 range going into the season, I think.

My concern is where does Daz go from here? When they get the dual-threat QB they want, does that improve the offense? Or do we see something akin to what Temple did last year? How do they build momentum? Don Brown is an old man - who does Daz get to replace him? Do we see ourselves plateauing at 7-8 wins a year? That's respectable, but is that a "great" hire or just a pretty good hire? We all wanted more from TOB when he was here, so I'd expect that after 3-4 years of recruiting, we'd like to start to see more from Addazio.

Everything else you've pointed to - enthusiasm, early recruiting returns, etc. - is nice, but its window dressing if results don't show up on the field. So far, those results are nice, but it's up against an FCS team and a fellow cellar-dweller ACC team.

Gonna pull and HJS and say man, I had some good thinking when this thread started
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:36 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:5 wins this year is fine. Ideally I'd like to see us in a bowl game and I don't think getting that 6th win is too much of a stretch, but everyone here has their expectations somewhere in the 4-7 range going into the season, I think.

My concern is where does Daz go from here? When they get the dual-threat QB they want, does that improve the offense? Or do we see something akin to what Temple did last year? How do they build momentum? Don Brown is an old man - who does Daz get to replace him? Do we see ourselves plateauing at 7-8 wins a year? That's respectable, but is that a "great" hire or just a pretty good hire? We all wanted more from TOB when he was here, so I'd expect that after 3-4 years of recruiting, we'd like to start to see more from Addazio.

Everything else you've pointed to - enthusiasm, early recruiting returns, etc. - is nice, but its window dressing if results don't show up on the field. So far, those results are nice, but it's up against an FCS team and a fellow cellar-dweller ACC team.

Gonna pull and HJS and say man, I had some good thinking when this thread started

i was thinking about spending 45 minutes going through this thread this afternoon to see how quickly everyone came to the correct conclusion
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:40 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I don't think Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think Addazio has done a poor job at BC. He's really upgraded the talent level and brought BC back to a reasonable level. He's just not your guy to go from 6-7 wins to 9-10 wins.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 am

he would be a good hire as a high school offensive coordinator. his playbook might work really well at the high school level
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think Addazio has done a poor job at BC. He's really upgraded the talent level and brought BC back to a reasonable level. He's just not your guy to go from 6-7 wins to 9-10 wins.

i dont think he was a poor hire. hes mediocre. most in the prediction thread when he was hired said he would be terribly mediocre. which he has been.

i guess my question is more the opportunity cost - was there really that big of a risk of hiring someone else and them continuing the trajectory spaz had us on (i dont think so but theres no way to know for sure). i dont think diaco wouldve failed as spectacularly as he did at uconn here. but you never know.

i think we are in a very similar situation to that at the end of toby - the right hire could rocketship this thing back to the 10-2 seasons. he gets credit for that. the longer he stays and doesn't make the jump to 9+ win seasons, the worse the hire looks
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:55 am

quickly glanced through this thread and saw this gem: http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/chat/_ ... ve-addazio

daz is thoroughly mediocre, he is far superior than the boards favorite of 6 years ago:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:58 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

i dont think he was a poor hire. hes mediocre. most in the prediction thread when he was hired said he would be terribly mediocre. which he has been.

i guess my question is more the opportunity cost - was there really that big of a risk of hiring someone else and them continuing the trajectory spaz had us on (i dont think so but theres no way to know for sure). i dont think diaco wouldve failed as spectacularly as he did at uconn here. but you never know.

i think we are in a very similar situation to that at the end of toby - the right hire could rocketship this thing back to the 10-2 seasons. he gets credit for that. the longer he stays and doesn't make the jump to 9+ win seasons, the worse the hire looks

I would argue he was a good hire for the dumpster fire situation that we were in. he brought us back to respectability. I just don't think he has what It takes to get us to the next level. some people here don't like the excuses he makes but if we were winning 9-10 games a year, I can guarantee you no one but TRE (who doesn't even like sports) would be posting a peep about that.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:01 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I would argue he was a good hire for the dumpster fire situation that we were in. he brought us back to respectability. I just don't think he has what It takes to get us to the next level. some people here don't like the excuses he makes but if we were winning 9-10 games a year, I can guarantee you no one but TRE (who doesn't even like sports) would be posting a peep about that.

when you are going 10-2 and complaining about things that prevent you from 11-1 or 12-0 (which would almost certainly be a berth in the final 4), its a whole lot different than bitching and moaning as you go 7-5 in year 6.

yes, nick saban or dabo swinney can complain about anything they see fit.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:12 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

when you are going 10-2 and complaining about things that prevent you from 11-1 or 12-0 (which would almost certainly be a berth in the final 4), its a whole lot different than bitching and moaning as you go 7-5 in year 6.

yes, nick saban or dabo swinney can complain about anything they see fit.

I was just saying that he was a good hire but I agree it's time to go. it has nothing to do with his personality which I generally think represents the school well... pushes the concept of faith, service for others, hard-work, team-work, building the program the right way. rather, for me, it's strictly results based. he has proven over a long sample size that he has a ceiling which is not good enough. it's clear we need someone else to take us to the next level. I really wish it had worked out with Steve because most of the players seem to like him and I feel like he generally cares about the school. unfortunately, this is a results business, and the results are just not good enough.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Honestly, its his lack of a plan b that infuriates me. It's clear that they hoped to never have to play the backup QB and had no idea what to do when they reached that situation.

We saw this in 2015, but it was kind of glossed over because it wasn't his fault that the position was so thin. But really more questions should've been asked about the "let them alternate series and see if something happens" approach when it was still all we had 3 weeks after Wade got hurt.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:24 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Honestly, its his lack of a plan b that infuriates me. It's clear that they hoped to never have to play the backup QB and had no idea what to do when they reached that situation.

We saw this in 2015, but it was kind of glossed over because it wasn't his fault that the position was so thin. But really more questions should've been asked about the "let them alternate series and see if something happens" approach when it was still all we had 3 weeks after Wade got hurt.

yeah, he has no ability to make adjustments... and even when he does it's usually way to late in a game or season to have any effect.
this has illustrated more times than I can actually remember.
we really suffered not having PP on the sidelines this year; I think he would have made a difference in the close loss to FSU.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:37 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

When your house gets destroyed by a flood, you don't bring in an architect the next day. You need somebody to get the sewage out of the basement and haul away junk and shit like that. Then you can bring in somebody to actually rebuild the house. I guess what I'm saying is, Daz is good at swimming neck deep in poop water, and god bless him for that, but I don't want somebody who smells like IB's mandolin and hammers nails with his forehead to be rebuilding my kitchen.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Am I missing something or the fact that we haven't heard anything yet means the Heinz Hammer stays?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 pm

1 pm and still not even an announcement of a press conference.

someone please hang this up in marty's office...

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Am I missing something or the fact that we haven't heard anything yet means the Heinz Hammer stays?

Maybe he's hiding. :shrug

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:59 pm

i think hes gone (and we will hear around 5 pm today)

if they extend him he becomes jarmond's hc. because he's gonna get to 6-7 wins next year. if people are hoping for a bottoming out (4 or less wins), its not happening. never going to be easier to fire him than now, not for the next couple of years at least.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:04 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i think hes gone (and we will hear around 5 pm today)

if they extend him he becomes jarmond's hc. because he's gonna get to 6-7 wins next year. if people are hoping for a bottoming out (4 or less wins), its not happening. never going to be easier to fire him than now, not for the next couple of years at least.

Didn't Jarmond just extend JC for losing in the first round of the NIT?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i think hes gone (and we will hear around 5 pm today)

Didn't Jarmond just extend JC for losing in the first round of the NIT?

Was that a real extension? I wasn't paying attention to the details when that happened. I thought it was just two years to keep him from becoming a lame duck
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:08 pm

it was a 2 yr extension to keep him from being a lame duck and who knows the terms.

football is a totally different beast than basketball.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:44 pm

I think Daz comes back. But i think next year will be a 4 or 5 win season. We lose a lot of good players. The defense will give up 40 a game to decent teams, and Daz's predictable run oriented offense has never been able to get above 21 against those types.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby quillisswill on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:37 pm

NO way Daz wins 7 next year if he comes back. THIS was the year ... experienced o-line, great running back, experienced skill position players on offense, a handful of legit studs on defense (although Denis fell apart for some reason), and a historically easy schedule.

Next year's o-line will likely be a sieve, our d-line will be even worse, and the schedule will be much harder. It's a slam dunk Daz would get fired after next year, but why do we have to sit around accepting the inevitable when someone else has a much higher ceiling?
quillisswill
n00b

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:53 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:I think Daz comes back. But i think next year will be a 4 or 5 win season. We lose a lot of good players. The defense will give up 40 a game to decent teams, and Daz's predictable run oriented offense has never been able to get above 21 against those types.

they don't call him 7-6 Steve for nothing. :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:04 pm

and we don't call you shut-up-hansen for nothing... so hows about you shut up, hansen
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Meatbaum boasting how we have 13 All-ACC selections.

-10 of them are done (THEYRE ALL COMING BACK!!!)

-Boasts how its the all time record for BC by 4 players...but we went 7-5.

for the love of god end our misery today please mj
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium