The king is dead. Long live the king.

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The king is dead. Long live the king.

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:41 pm

After watching that game and the presser, I think there is a 50% chance Daz coached his last game.

As I've said at the start of the season, Daz's contract situation meant this was a make-or-break year and that Jarmond (and his minions) were telling everyone that 7-wins wasn't good enough. I've also said that the way this year has played out (being ranked, Dillon injury, Game Day, etc) put the 8-win manifesto in jeopardy. The one caveat being that you only make this move if you are certain of the replacement.

I think that caveat could come to pass in the form of HCRD. Given the unique connections between OSU and BC, I can see how Jarmond would look upon HCRD as the perfect replacement. New England guy, knows the school, recruited some of the players still on the team and is LOVED by his mentor (Gene Smith). The logic being that HCRD would seamlessly take over the program and be able to take the next step (as a superior coach).

As someone who isn't psyched about having the bridge between TOB, Jags, Spaz and Daz at the helm to continue 5 more years of "continuity", I do think things are moving in that direction. If it happens, it will happen quickly... both the Daz termination and HCRD hire. If it doesn't happen fast, then we have another Bates at the helm (I don't believe we do).

Finally, if they fire Daz, Jarmond is on the clock. And, since he is on the clock, he will just go ahead and clean house (meaning Jimmy Mac and York will also be heading for the door).

That's my two cents on the current state of BC athletics.
Last edited by HJS on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: The king is dead. Long like the king.

Postby JesuitIvy on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Makes sense. I’d be for it. RD would improve the throw game.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:05 pm

I’ve always been on the RD bandwagon.

The other two coaches you referenced need to be dismissed also.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Day was terribly overrated but will at least run a post 1950 offense. Not sure he improves the throw game though, he oversaw rettig and murphy.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:25 pm

HJS needs to shit or get off the pot regarding Daz. I’ve said for weeks that BC will fire Daz because I believe that the BC administration has finally done a 180 with their approach to athletics. It started by hiring MJ a top assistant at a football factory. The 50 million dollar Fish Field House investment and the 150 million dollar capital campaign and now a new coach.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Day was terribly overrated but will at least run a post 1950 offense. Not sure he improves the throw game though, he oversaw rettig and murphy.

I dont particularly love RD either, but I agree that he's got some good credibility right now that would help us maintain the core of our program and recruiting class, plus the bar is set so low with Daz as a gameday coach, that Day has to be better. If the program was in shambles, I'd want someone else, but for reality is that it is in decent shape.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Re: The king is dead. Long live the king.

Postby flakes on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:43 pm

We could get blasted in the bowl game and no chance he’s fired. Firing a coach that makes a bowl game is the most un-BC thing imaginable. He also has the Dillon injury excuse. I would take ANYONE at this point and I don’t think Day’s BC ties are big enough to make him want to take this job but I don’t see Daz getting fired.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:56 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:I would take ANYONE at this point and I don’t think Day’s BC ties are big enough to make him want to take this job

Unless he has other P5 offers, like an OSU, I don't see why he wouldn't take the BC job. Have to strike while the iron is hot. The ACC is not that hard. In the Atlantic, after Clemson and a struggling FSU, you have two other private schools and two average public schools.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Day allegedly refused an SEC job....so a P5 program showed some interest.

Would he take the BC job? As much as we mention him, any thoughts on his opinion of BC?
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:05 pm

I was going to post this before kickoff and didn’t, but, I know someone who is very close to one of addazios best friends from his time coaching in CT. He told me Addazio is very unhappy with BC for not having extended yet and that Addazio was more or less told that a loss to syracuse likely meant that was it for him. Take it for what it’s worth, but Id consider this a fairly reliable source.

If Day is in fact the guy, I’m on board. He’s young and offensively competent. Would be great if he made an attempt to hold over guys like Camp and Brown to hold the ‘19 class together, even make Campanile DC or something.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Ive said it a few places - I don't know how you raise the 150M and keep Daz. This has played out PERFECTLY for Jarmond. He can fire the guy with no issues, and get his guy and use it to fundraise, I realize it's not the BC way to fire a 7-6 coach but this is so obvious that I don't know how even BC could screw it up.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby Uptown Eagle on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:19 pm

You guys are getting my hopes up on Daz's firing. All my experiences as a BC fan thus tell me an extension will announced any minute now.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby dick ritchie on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:25 pm

I don't want to hear any excuses, injury or otherwise - we just completed year 6 and Daz kept telling everyone who would listen that BC would be competing for conference championships after 5 years. If there's a lack of depth because of injuries it's because he hasn't recruited or developed enough quality players (especially at QB). The reality is his conference record is 18-30 and he's never posted a winning conference record.
dick ritchie
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:43 pm

dick ritchie {l Wrote}:I don't want to hear any excuses, injury or otherwise - we just completed year 6 and Daz kept telling everyone who would listen that BC would be competing for conference championships after 5 years. If there's a lack of depth because of injuries it's because he hasn't recruited or developed enough quality players (especially at QB). The reality is his conference record is 18-30 and he's never posted a winning conference record.

Daz has improved the talent, but there is gross roster mis-management.

- Perry/McDonald as the back-up QBs is inexcusable in Year 6. Neither should be on an ACC roster. I was horrified when I saw them throw in the Spring Game.
- There is a serious lack of WR talent
- There are about 10 too many TEs on the roster. They’re all the same player also there’s no move TE
- Our DTs are bad and the depth there is bad
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:You guys are getting my hopes up on Daz's firing. All my experiences as a BC fan thus tell me an extension will announced any minute now.

This....
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Also, it’s going to be far easier to fire him next year when not only the team is bad but the record shows it. With losses on D and no QB in sight it’s going to be a struggle. Would be great to fire him now but I don’t see it happening.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
dick ritchie {l Wrote}:I don't want to hear any excuses, injury or otherwise - we just completed year 6 and Daz kept telling everyone who would listen that BC would be competing for conference championships after 5 years. If there's a lack of depth because of injuries it's because he hasn't recruited or developed enough quality players (especially at QB). The reality is his conference record is 18-30 and he's never posted a winning conference record.

- Perry/McDonald as the back-up QBs is inexcusable in Year 6. Neither should be on an ACC roster. I was horrified when I saw them throw in the Spring Game.
- There are about 10 too many TEs on the roster. They’re all the same player also there’s no move TE

There are problems but Epstein went 2 for 4 here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Works for me. I feel strongly about 1 and 3
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You should include Brown then in 1, since we've seen a whole season of evidence, and he's the best Addazio could recruit in 6 years?? Loeffler an alleged QB developer, yet same Brown faults we witnessed last year occurred in Game 12 of year 2. Shitty playcalling notwithstanding, Brown showed little maturation or skill development, and on this team, "game management" simply was insufficient given the gutless, predictable playcalling, stubborn, sometimes in comprehensible reliance on an injured running back, and the wild inconsistency in the throw game in many simple, un complicated situations.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:Ive said it a few places - I don't know how you raise the 150M and keep Daz. This has played out PERFECTLY for Jarmond. He can fire the guy with no issues, and get his guy and use it to fundraise, I realize it's not the BC way to fire a 7-6 coach but this is so obvious that I don't know how even BC could screw it up.

I was thinking the same thing. The damp squib end to the season is exactly what MJ was NOT looking for in terms of his fundraising drive. If they decide to keep Daz, it means they basically push their fundraising goals to the right. I, like others, do not expect him to be fired. But man, MJ has to be pissed. Every conversation he's planning to have is basically going to start with "What are you going to do with that football coach?"
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:53 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You should include Brown then in 1, since we've seen a whole season of evidence, and he's the best Addazio could recruit in 6 years?? Loeffler an alleged QB developer, yet same Brown faults we witnessed last year occurred in Game 12 of year 2. Shitty playcalling notwithstanding, Brown showed little maturation or skill development, and on this team, "game management" simply was insufficient given the gutless, predictable playcalling, stubborn, sometimes in comprehensible reliance on an injured running back, and the wild inconsistency in the throw game in many simple, un complicated situations.

I've shit on Brown a lot this year which I feel shitty doing but his QB play has been infuriating at times. That said, statistically he has improved significantly this year:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK]RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2018 141 248 1870 56.9 7.54 71 17 7 16 137.2 53.2 59.9
2017 134 258 1367 51.9 5.30 76 11 9 7 103.5 42.2 55.6

which was surprising. One area where he regressed was taking an additional 9 sacks but it's hard to say if they were coverage sacks or on the OL. He still needs to improve on his accuracy though if we are going to win more games.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

1 and 4. You're dumb on 2
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:43 am

Will Gunnell coach the bowl game?
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:49 am

Not for nothing, but this is a perfect HJS opener: “there’s a 50% chance Daz gets fired.”

Congrats on being right.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 am

Talking with friends in Tallahassee, the word I got was that an extension was being discussed. My impression was that it was being worked on with the goal of announcing it after the season. I asked someone yesterday if that was still the plan and I got a non-answer answer about evaluating the whole program next week. I could be all wrong, but I think Jarmond was thinking Addazio finished with at least eight wins and maybe nine and that extending him was the only option.

That probably means they don't have anyone lined up or even a pool of names they want to talk to about the job. it also means Jarmond has not prepared Leahy for the possibility of replacing the football coach. Unless a donor is in Leahy's ear about this, a change is unlikely.

I hope I'm wrong as I can't take another year of Addazio, but that's the way it looks.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:29 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Talking with friends in Tallahassee, the word I got was that an extension was being discussed. My impression was that it was being worked on with the goal of announcing it after the season. I asked someone yesterday if that was still the plan and I got a non-answer answer about evaluating the whole program next week. I could be all wrong, but I think Jarmond was thinking Addazio finished with at least eight wins and maybe nine and that extending him was the only option.

That probably means they don't have anyone lined up or even a pool of names they want to talk to about the job. it also means Jarmond has not prepared Leahy for the possibility of replacing the football coach. Unless a donor is in Leahy's ear about this, a change is unlikely.

I hope I'm wrong as I can't take another year of Addazio, but that's the way it looks.

If they extend, I'm done. Every post Jarmond makes I will tag with an Addazio line. No breathing room.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:40 am

They had to prepare an extension in the event that Daz got lost on the way to FSU and Cuse and we actually won 9 games. It is the year where you either extend or cut loose. Given he probably couldn't have sold firing a 9-3 coach as much as we all want him to, you have to prepare for that contingency if you're Jarmond.

Now, it would be irresponsible not to prepare for the alternative. Even if there's no formal plan in places, you have to imagine Jarmond has some names that he wouldn't mind giving a call.

Still hoping that they make the right decision, but ready to be disappointed because it is BC.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:22 am

The only inside info I have is what I’ve posted multiple times... the Dev guys for about a year have been saying how this was Daz’s make or break year. How 7 wins wasn’t acceptable with this team on this schedule. Jarmond himself has told me (I think is par of his Schtick) how he is a big believer in constantly improving. How standing still in sports is not an option and how you often wind up doing more harm to a program by being stagnant.

When Jarmond took over, the plan was to give the coaches a full year to prove themselves. But, last year, Daz started the year in full fail. The week of “it will be beautiful” quote, I started hearing a rumor that Daz was putting MJ in a position where he felt the need to act. The rumor included the name (you won’t like this, though I would have) Schiano as a replacement. Then, Dazoo went on his tear with wins over Ville and UVA and FSU. There was a collective sigh of relief. And, MJ was comfortable to give Daz a chance to coach the team he supposedly had been building towards.

I’ve heard multiple times that MJ has free reign over athletics. So, what may or may not have happened in the past, isn’t necessarily an indication as to what will or won’t happen now. Also, I do not think many (if any) know Jarmond well enough yet to “know” what he’s thinking or what he’ll do. Basically, we are all just reading the same tealeaves.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:26 am

Good point about not knowing Jarmond well enough to have an idea yet. Wonder if that stretches into knowing which national writers to trust. I know he's done a lot of clearing out and hiring in the athletic department.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:29 am

Blauds saying Daz is safe because of salary but then hedges. I don’t think he has an in on Jarmond.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium