New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:41 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Image

Haha, very funny, motherfucker. Leave the hubby alone.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Look back at the 2014 coaching hires....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-moves-grading-2014s-biggest-hires-four-years-into-the-job/

Sister Christian gets a C+

I'm going on record as predicting both J-Rob and Ky entering the draft and this team cratering again next year.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Look back at the 2014 coaching hires....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-moves-grading-2014s-biggest-hires-four-years-into-the-job/

Sister Christian gets a C+

I'm going on record as predicting both J-Rob and Ky entering the draft and this team cratering again next year.

I can believe J-Rob but Bowman is a stretch. I can't see a 1st round guarantee for him.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 pm

So, here we are again.

If there's one thing Jimmy Mac did, it's make it a more attractive job than it was while Donahue was busy recruiting Ivy League intramural leagues
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Health permitting I’ll throw Thad Matta out there as a name.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby miutbc on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:56 am

Jc absolutely brutal. How does he still have a job. God awful home loss
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Health permitting I’ll throw Thad Matta out there as a name.

Matta's a bit of a head case. He had the UGA job last spring. Ready to sign, etc. but then completely changed his mind and sort of blamed it on his wife. Maybe his prior relationship with Jarmond would make this more likely.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Health permitting I’ll throw Thad Matta out there as a name.

Matta's a bit of a head case. He had the UGA job last spring. Ready to sign, etc. but then completely changed his mind and sort of blamed it on his wife. Maybe his prior relationship with Jarmond would make this more likely.

The guy can recruit and is a big name in college basketball. That alone would get BC back in the Top 25.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Jeff Boals from Stony Brook will probably be in the mix. Tight with Jarmond.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:40 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Matta's time at OSU ended quite poorly, so not sure if the prior relationship is a good or bad thing.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jeff Boals from Stony Brook will probably be in the mix. Tight with Jarmond.

Anyone of this level has about a zero percent chance of fixing the basketball program.

They need to hire a brand-name coach who people actually. recognize on the recruiting trail. So far we've hired an Ivy League coach who recruited Ivy League players and a MAC coach who's recruited a bunch of players who couldn't play in the MAC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jeff Boals from Stony Brook will probably be in the mix. Tight with Jarmond.

Anyone of this level has about a zero percent chance of fixing the basketball program.

They need to hire a brand-name coach who people actually. recognize on the recruiting trail. So far we've hired an Ivy League coach who recruited Ivy League players and a MAC coach who's recruited a bunch of players who couldn't play in the MAC.

Thats being too kind.

He's recruited half a roster who he doesn't feel comfortable using against bad Horizon League and NEC teams when his starters are playing poorly and/or with little effort.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:13 pm

If I see this face https://stonybrookathletics.com/coaches ... ath=mbball roaming around the bench at Conte next year then I will kill myself.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:If I see this face https://stonybrookathletics.com/coaches ... ath=mbball roaming around the bench at Conte next year then I will kill myself.

I have to assume he's not under too intense of fan scrutiny at his current job if they post his phone number and email address on the public site
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Obviously it's different, but worth noting that Jarmond did hire a former big time assistant with only a few years of head coaching experience as women's basketball coach.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Obviously it's different, but worth noting that Jarmond did hire a former big time assistant with only a few years of head coaching experience as women's basketball coach.

You forgot to mention... that his choice was someone who actually won as a head coach. 45-20 at Albany... 63-36 overall. Boals (with 2 impressive wins over South Carolina and GW) is now .500. He was 13-19 last year, but has had a strong start to the year. If he runs to north of 25 wins this year, yeah... he is probably a candidate. However, if he is sub-20, I don't see how that could happen. Look... I think ATL is one who has lead the charge in believing that Jarmond is looking to ultimately land an AD gig at a massive land grant school one day. You don't get there by making a ho-hum choice based solely on the two of you saying "Hi" in the halls of the Fawcett Center. You make a hire like that, you better be damned sure that he is the next Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens. Conversely, if you go out and land a decent name for a lowly program like BC, THAT gets the attention of people that matter.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:If I see this face https://stonybrookathletics.com/coaches ... ath=mbball roaming around the bench at Conte next year then I will kill myself.

I have to assume he's not under too intense of fan scrutiny at his current job if they post his phone number and email address on the public site

I almost never visit the bouncey ball board but here is something for me to add to ... a variety of incompetence and misbehavior over several years at Stony Brook has resulted in Simons shutting off the taps until they get their crap together. With all of Simons' dollars, they have slashed majors, made sketchy foundation loans to high-ups for housing and so forth, frittered away critical dollars on useless shit like magical machines that can perform both CT and MRI scans, and continued to engage in the low-grade exploitive perversion you'd expect from a bunch of bloated douchebags occupying mid-shaft Long Island:

https://pix11.com/2018/08/10/former-student-files-sexual-harassment-lawsuit-against-stony-brook-professor/

As a result, current staff have had to take on multiple responsibilities, and in Boals' case this means plumbing triage: his number is here so students can call him at any hour in case the shower drains start to back up. I think so long as Jarmond doesn't make wheeling drain snakes into the College Road showers part of his duties, Boals will jump at any opportunity.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:24 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Obviously it's different, but worth noting that Jarmond did hire a former big time assistant with only a few years of head coaching experience as women's basketball coach.

You forgot to mention... that his choice was someone who actually won as a head coach. 45-20 at Albany... 63-36 overall. Boals (with 2 impressive wins over South Carolina and GW) is now .500. He was 13-19 last year, but has had a strong start to the year. If he runs to north of 25 wins this year, yeah... he is probably a candidate. However, if he is sub-20, I don't see how that could happen. Look... I think ATL is one who has lead the charge in believing that Jarmond is looking to ultimately land an AD gig at a massive land grant school one day. You don't get there by making a ho-hum choice based solely on the two of you saying "Hi" in the halls of the Fawcett Center. You make a hire like that, you better be damned sure that he is the next Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens. Conversely, if you go out and land a decent name for a lowly program like BC, THAT gets the attention of people that matter.

Oh I agree, and it looks like she's doing a good job early. My point was that Jarmond doesn't seem to be averse to a calculated risk, which the women's coach seemed to be. Basketball is also his sport, so I think he probably feels a little more confident in his ability to make a more out of the box choice than he would in football.

I don't think he'll go for Boals, but mostly because I think he'll be looking for someone that wouldn't just get written off as an OSU connection.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Maybe Fred Hoiberg wants to get out of the Midwest and get a house on the cape?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 am

Which one of you guys writes for the Post?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:44 am

I would bring in anyone that could win at this point. I would take Pitino, OB, you name it.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby tallsy on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 pm

The plus side of basketball is that "fit" matters a lot less. Everyone recruits nationally so if Jarmond is competent his hands won't be tied except monetarily (admittedly, a big deal). I doubt there's as rigid a Catholic requirement either.

I would hope that they look at a coach's last five years rather than whoever makes a run in the tourney or conversely has a bad year because of the parity at the lower levels of bball.

If we want someone who's a proven, cheap winner (if controversial) and we might be able to sneak by the NCAA and Leahy, there's Ray Harper.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:02 pm

thamel, who probably is the most connected national writer wrote this on jimmy mac

Boston College – Jim Christian’s time at BC doesn’t look great on paper. He’s been there five seasons (59-93), and this will be the fifth one without an NCAA tournament. There’s some nice young talent like injured freshman guard Wynston Tabbs and freshman forward Jairus Hamilton, but there’s still a 2-7 ACC record. They’ve gone a decade without an NCAA appearance at BC, and the school is falling far behind its ACC peers in facilities and support. BC has no buzz or resonance among this generation of high school stars, and it’s viewed in the industry as a difficult job. Christian got extended through 2022 last year, but his buyout isn’t prohibitive. BC needs to deliver some hope in the final weeks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-hoops- ... 07941.html
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:47 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:thamel, who probably is the most connected national writer wrote this on jimmy mac

Boston College – Jim Christian’s time at BC doesn’t look great on paper. He’s been there five seasons (59-93), and this will be the fifth one without an NCAA tournament. There’s some nice young talent like injured freshman guard Wynston Tabbs and freshman forward Jairus Hamilton, but there’s still a 2-7 ACC record. They’ve gone a decade without an NCAA appearance at BC, and the school is falling far behind its ACC peers in facilities and support. BC has no buzz or resonance among this generation of high school stars, and it’s viewed in the industry as a difficult job. Christian got extended through 2022 last year, but his buyout isn’t prohibitive. BC needs to deliver some hope in the final weeks.

I hope the coach gets fired.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:thamel, who probably is the most connected national writer wrote this on jimmy mac

I hope the coach gets fired.

Smells like the first step towards it. Leak for pressure
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 pm

I just don't give a fuck. That's how bad it is.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 am

You guys are reading way too much into it. The article is a survey of jobs that could potentially come open in each conference. It doesn’t take any internal leak to point out that Jimmy Mac is the coach with the worst ACC record over his (now extended) tenure.

The only glimmer of hope in the article is the alluding to his buyout not being cost prohibitive. That said, under Leahy, ANY buyout is prohibitive.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:You guys are reading way too much into it. The article is a survey of jobs that could potentially come open in each conference. It doesn’t take any internal leak to point out that Jimmy Mac is the coach with the worst ACC record over his (now extended) tenure.

The only glimmer of hope in the article is the alluding to his buyout not being cost prohibitive. That said, under Leahy, ANY buyout is prohibitive.

Leahy is the main concern. I don't think many people understand just how much he has his hands in everything. I firmly believe that Jarmond has a leash on him when it comes to anything major, especially spending money.

Either we have this dud for another year, or Jarmond hires an "up and coming" coach, as we constantly hire on the cheap. Could we have gotten Ben Howland several years ago for the $2m he's making in Starkville?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Look at how Marty has hired thus far. All up-and-comers who will be looking for their big break on a bigger stage. Whenever Jimmy Mac returns to his level of competition, we will specifically NOT be hiring a $2mm per year known entity with a good rep. We will be hiring some decently respected kid whose been quickly moving up the chain.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I just don't give a fuck. That's how bad it is.

I’m pretty much here. Don’t really understand how a new coach is going to change this situation.

Make the appropriate facilities changes first, then hire the coach
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum