Strategic Plan

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Strategic Plan

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 am

Jarmond announces what Bates announced he would do for years and never did

https://bceagles.com/documents/2018/9/2 ... 0000288558

doesn't seem like a whole lot of meat there but thing that jumped out to me is conte enhancements which is part of a larger facility upgrade
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Strategic Plan

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:14 am

Seems to pass the sniff test and be things you can actually measure progress against, so that's a positive. Though that mission statement is generic as all can be.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:25 am

i didn't see "firing dickhead coaches that take it upon themselves to torpedo the team and program."

i feel like that was a pretty low hanging fruit that could have accompanied the "consistently in the top 25 in football and basketball"

said differently, the only thing i see in reading between the lines of that graphic display of feel-goodery is "nothing will change except for how much we expect you to donate to the cause..."
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 am

upon rereading the strategic plan, i now recognize where i've seen a version of it before...

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am

Why release a pp presentation that has nothing specific in there, just generalities. How is he addressing the needs of the hoops and hockey programs, what additional facilities will be built in Brighton, and when will alumni be renovated with club seats and corners.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:00 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Why release a pp presentation that has nothing specific in there, just generalities. How is he addressing the needs of the hoops and hockey programs, what additional facilities will be built in Brighton, and when will alumni be renovated with club seats and corners.

in fairness, there are pretty pictures and an incredibly poorly worded (and i would challenge potentially typo'd) mission statement...

glossy feelgoodery mission statement {l Wrote}:provide out student athletes with an exceptional experience fostering values, personal growth, and athletics excellence

ignoring all the trite vagueness, shouldn't we be fostering athletic excellence rather than athletics excellence? maybe i'm just splitting hairs like i do with "throw game"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:03 am

At least he has outlined goals on which we can measure coaches/teams performance against.

If we don't end the year in the football top 25, then we failed.

More details would have been nice but it's a start. clearly, Jarmond is at least trying which is more than you could ever say with buttcutt.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:19 am

For me, the biggest element in all this will be the external engagement. How do you get more people interested/excited about BC athletics? If you do that right, all the other pieces tend to fit into place (attendance, donations, facilities).
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Los {l Wrote}:For me, the biggest element in all this will be the external engagement. How do you get more people interested/excited about BC athletics? If you do that right, all the other pieces tend to fit into place (attendance, donations, facilities).

Wasn't sure where to share this little tidbit, but I will throw it in here.

This past Saturday I was very "fortunate" to have 2 different sporting events to attend to during the day. As the first event came to an end, the BC-Purdue game was knotted at 7-7. We had some time to kill so we hit a pizza/sub shop nearby for some lunch prior to event #2. I noticed a TV in the establishment was showing the UGA game on ESPN, and as I was ordering and preparing to ask to have the game switched to ESPN2, another "customer" was being handed the remote. I asked what game he was putting on and if it would be BC, to which he proclaimed "Notre Dame baby. Don't be mentioning BC around here." (I laughed).

Now I'm with wife and one of my kids, and who really gives a fuck in the whole scheme of things, so I went about my business of waiting for my sub. It's then that I realize that Shorty McFatty has a green ND Hat on, a 12+ year old ND T Shirt on, some sort of ND sneakers on, and a Fighting Irish tattoo on his calf. (Disclosure - I'm not embellishing for effect - it was his legitimate garb) Textbook ND Steakhead. At some point in the game, the BC score scrolls on by (and we are now down by a couple of scores) and he makes some snorty-ish comment about the score and BC losing. Again, who really gives a fuck, but I asked him if he went to ND - something I already knew the answer to. "Nahhh, but my fathah groo up watchin'' 'em and me and my bruthahz luv'd 'em and uv cohse ahmm Irish..." I told him I always thought it was weird that a University with a French Name located in the middle of Indiana was adopted by the Irish when in reality BC was founded on providing an education to the Irish Immigrants of Boston. I think he was completely confused by this, and by that point we were wrapping up our food. Unfortunately his "team" was taking care of business against Wake at this point and I could tell BC was enjoying a 7-night stay in WTF City, so it was time to go.

Not much of a story, but we talk about the Stereotype, however I always imagine in my head that it just isn't really any longer. Unfortunately it is, and that's why I quoted the above. The commoners in New England frankly don't like BC. Blue Collar Southies still love ND. Millenials don't like sports. People in between resent BC for its wannabe snootiness. etc, etc. I just don't foresee a scenario where a whole new generation of fans can be born/created from the surrounding areas. Sure, we'll get a few, but they're just replacing the dying Whalepants.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Los {l Wrote}:For me, the biggest element in all this will be the external engagement. How do you get more people interested/excited about BC athletics?

Don't do what we did last Saturday.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:29 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}: I just don't foresee a scenario where a whole new generation of fans can be born/created from the surrounding areas. Sure, we'll get a few, but they're just replacing the dying Whalepants.

in the times I heard him speak, when asked about 'engaging the city of Boston to build fans' Jarmond has said first we need to reengage BC alums.

graduating a half decade worth of nerds who never saw a ranked team will be tough to bring back
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:At least he has outlined goals on which we can measure coaches/teams performance against.

If we don't end the year in the football top 25, then we failed.

More details would have been nice but it's a start. clearly, Jarmond is at least trying which is more than you could ever say with buttcutt.

Assuming a modicum of competency, there are more details behind it. This is the shiny thing you put in front of your boss so he doesn't have to read a Word file.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:29 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:For me, the biggest element in all this will be the external engagement. How do you get more people interested/excited about BC athletics? If you do that right, all the other pieces tend to fit into place (attendance, donations, facilities).

I just don't foresee a scenario where a whole new generation of fans can be born/created from the surrounding areas. Sure, we'll get a few, but they're just replacing the dying Whalepants.

I disagree, winning will do wonders. Do you ever notice how many people wear Patriots gear these days? There was a generation of people up here who grew up football Giants fans b/c the Pats were always blacked out 'cause they sucked and no one went to the games.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:46 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

I just don't foresee a scenario where a whole new generation of fans can be born/created from the surrounding areas. Sure, we'll get a few, but they're just replacing the dying Whalepants.

I disagree, winning will do wonders. Do you ever notice how many people wear Patriots gear these days? There was a generation of people up here who grew up football Giants fans b/c the Pats were always blacked out 'cause they sucked and no one went to the games.

This. When I went to BC, the Patriots were a joke and nobody, but nobody gave a shit about them. And yes, there were quite a few NY Football Giant fans who were from inside 128. Conversely, if you lose a lot, you wreck your brand. When I was in high school, there were Notre Dame fans everywhere—even at BC. First game of the season my senior year there were a maybe a hundred kids crowded around a mod TV set that had been pulled onto the patio watching ND-Michigan, while the BC game was going on. Thirty years of Davieham, Fatso and the Assumption graduate and I doubt you’d see such a scene again. Sure, you still get a goodly amount of blue collar/no college who root for them because of their Dads and Granddads and make a once a year pilgrimage to see them play against Ball State or the like becaause the tickets are cheap because the slums have no interest in watching a shitty opponent, but even that has been reduced. And that is despite a beautiful campus and amazing game day experience.

If BC actually expended the resources and got the right coaching and could perform at say a Beamer Ball level—maybe a once a lifetime run at a MNC and routine 9-10 win seasons—you’d have a following. I’ve noticed that a lot of the same people who don’t like BC have kids who root for our hockey team over BU or Northeastern.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Manny on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Fun fact: By most definitions of the term, almost all the players in every major professional sport in this country are "millennials," including most of the very famous athletes who are presumably at or near retirement age. The vast majority of professional athletes who are not millennials are too young to fall into the commonly-accepted age ranges.

Additionally, the coveted 18-39 demographic is primarily (some would say entirely) made up of millennials.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:06 pm

If BC started competing for National Championships or at the very least College Playoff opportunities, I'm sure that we'd capture new fans. The reality is that this is never happening or might happen once or tice in our lifetimes when the stars align. Even if we replicated the whole Flutie scenario, we wouldn't get near the amount of bump we did when that happened in the 80's. Too many people in this region don't give a fuck. Heck, the majority of the 12 posters on this site became fans either from the Coughlin era or the Matt Ryan era, and only 1 or 2 of us actually attends games on a regular basis. Short-lived bumps - yes. Long-term, diehard following - no.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:34 am

Not indicative of anything, I suppose, but in episode 2 of Jack Ryan, Timothy Hutton asks Jack Ryan if he's a doug flutie fan, since he went to BC. It's not like I'd hope for Andre Williams name to be dropped or something ("Some call by Coughlin starting Foley over Willie Hicks in '91, huh?"), but I'd figure Matt Ryan would have been enough for a mention - probably appropriate for the character's age.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

This. When I went to BC, the Patriots were a joke and nobody, but nobody gave a shit about them. And yes, there were quite a few NY Football Giant fans who were from inside 128. Conversely, if you lose a lot, you wreck your brand. When I was in high school, there were Notre Dame fans everywhere—even at BC. First game of the season my senior year there were a maybe a hundred kids crowded around a mod TV set that had been pulled onto the patio watching ND-Michigan, while the BC game was going on. Thirty years of Davieham, Fatso and the Assumption graduate and I doubt you’d see such a scene again. Sure, you still get a goodly amount of blue collar/no college who root for them because of their Dads and Granddads and make a once a year pilgrimage to see them play against Ball State or the like becaause the tickets are cheap because the slums have no interest in watching a shitty opponent, but even that has been reduced. And that is despite a beautiful campus and amazing game day experience.

If BC actually expended the resources and got the right coaching and could perform at say a Beamer Ball level—maybe a once a lifetime run at a MNC and routine 9-10 win seasons—you’d have a following. I’ve noticed that a lot of the same people who don’t like BC have kids who root for our hockey team over BU or Northeastern.

What do you expect, Harvard Sunday through Friday and Alabama on Saturday?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:36 am

not a whole lot more but there's a number now, $150 mil

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/coll ... story.html

Boston College wants to take its sports programs to new heights, and on Thursday, it unveiled a plan to get there.

A five-year strategy aims to make BC more competitive nationally — particularly in football and men’s basketball — enhance the athletic facilities, and improve the fan experience. It will be backed by a $150 million fund-raising campaign called “Greater Heights: The Campaign for Boston College Athletics.”

Athletic director Martin Jarmond revealed the plan, the first of its kind at BC, at a donor event Thursday.

“Our time is now,” Jarmond said. “We can’t succeed by resting on our laurels. We need to consistently look for ways to make BC attractive to student-athletes, coaches, and fans so we can achieve competitive excellence.

“That includes building and renovating facilities and providing the support services needed to make the student-athlete experience as successful as possible both in and out of the classroom.”

The announcement comes a week after BC’s football team was nationally ranked for the first time since 2008. Last winter, the men’s basketball program had a winning season for the first time in seven years.

The men’s and women’s hockey teams, along with women’s lacrosse, have set the standards of success at the school, while the women’s soccer team is 10-0 this season and ranked 14th nationally.

“Our goal is for BC football and basketball to be consistently ranked in the top 25, to maintain and enhance the elite status of our hockey program, and bolster all of our varsity sports to achieve competitive excellence,” said Jarmond.

“All of this will involve major fund-raising, and we plan to be more aggressive than ever before to address these important needs through the Greater Heights campaign.”

The part of the plan to “strengthen competitive excellence” will set high goals for all 31 varsity teams, including winning conference championships. BC also will look to recruit and develop the best coaches and student-athletes, be ranked in the top 25 in football and men’s basketball, and build sports analytics capabilities that utilize data and improve performance.

This summer BC opened Fish Field House, a $52.6 million, 115,700-square-foot indoor practice facility for the football program, and will now turn its attention to improving Conte Forum, where the basketball and hockey teams play.

It also will add space at its Harrington Athletics Village for player development for the baseball and softball teams, renovate locker rooms, and provide enhanced strength and conditioning, sports medicine, and nutrition for the school’s Olympic sports.

The fund-raising campaign will target alumni, parents, corporate partners, and others.

“We plan to build on BC’s distinctive athletics history, which includes five NCAA championships, 14 national championships, 32 conference championships, eight national player of the year awards, and 910 all-conference honors,” Jarmond said.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:15 am

150 million seems short for that plan. No football stadium renovations and the hoops team will still be playing in a hockey rink.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:15 am

Love this from jarmond
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Jarmond gives a shit at least. He, even if naively, seems to believe that he can get things done. I'm happy with him, if only for that
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:31 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Jarmond gives a shit at least. He, even if naively, seems to believe that he can get things done. I'm happy with him, if only for that

He's already got a shit ton done.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:32 pm

It's not a strategic plan until I see renderings
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Jarmond gives a shit at least. He, even if naively, seems to believe that he can get things done. I'm happy with him, if only for that

He's already got a shit ton done.

yeah that wasn't really fair of me. I meant bringing in the fans/getting the admin to give enough support to take us further
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://bcheights.com/2018/10/15/greater-heights-sets-bc-athletics-apart-from-competitors/

a little more on the project

shut the fuck up with all these words. if he wants to raise money, that dude needs to make with the renderings!!!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:22 pm

I've been donating my nickels to the Flynn Fund.
After reading that heights article, should I have been donating to the Excellence fund instead?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I've been donating my nickels to the Flynn Fund.
After reading that heights article, should I have been donating to the Excellence fund instead?

Makes sense. It probably still gives you Flynn Fund credit it you care.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 am

There is some talk about building a hockey arena on the Brighton campus and leaving Conte just for hoops. Incredibly stupid in my opinion. Conte is a hockey rink and it’s a nightmare getting into the Brighton campus.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium