BC at Wake Forest - Official Gameday Thead - 9/13/2018

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC at Wake Forest - Official Gameday Thead - 9/13/2018

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:39 am

Interesting tidbit in the Brow interview: the team had been preparing for the Wake game since summer.

p.s. love Dillon. not only does he ball out on the field but he's articulate and humble. 100% BC Guy.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am

Wake is normally a huge game for BC, I get prepping for it. Hopefully this year they are looking further.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

• Anyone who has watched BC over the course of the last 30 years knows that last night had ALL the hallmarks of a WTF. BC was that much more talented to overcome it.
  • On that point, credit is due to Dazoo. I don't like him and still think he is a terrible gameday coach, but he has recruited this program to perhaps its highest level. Doesn't mean we are going to win like we did under Jags/Coughlin, but we could if we had similar quality gameday coaches.
  • I remain shocked that the Heinz Hammer didn't have a headset-throwing outburst at the ST miscues.
  • Play-calling was fine yesterday. However, can we PLEASE remove those slow-developing runs where Dillon is waiting for 350lbs linemen to pull a lumbering 20-yards? Ran the same unsuccessful nonsense every year under Daz. It has a 1-a-thousand success rate (and those usually come against the likes of HC).
  • Dillon is a great back. This offense seriously struggles when he is out of the game. While he is good on sweeps and off-tackles, he has a truly special ability running up the middle. Subtle moves, quickness, balance, strength... he's able to exploit small seams like very, very few... which is why I would like to see more quick-hitting runs up the middle.
  • Brown was good yesterday. I've read all the comments. But, folks are just looking for something to bitch about. To me his worst throw was to Jeff Smith (he was late and no reason it should have been almost out of bounds). But, in other ways it was his best "ball" in that he hit him perfectly in stride. At the end of the day, Brown put the ball where his receivers could make plays on it. Given the OMG-we-actually-have-talented-receivers-for-once world we now shockingly live, that's precisely what I want out of our QBs. Further, what has been lost in yesterday's performance is that he made EXCELLENT decisions with the ball all game.
  • The worst thing for me offensively was that Brown looked TERRIBLE running the ball. I can understand the hesitation, but he no longer seems any threat to beat someone with his feet.
  • The OL was actually quite good. 5 vs. 8 all game. Sprung Dillon a few times... gave Brown forever to throw. Solid performance.
  • As for the D, the DBs are stupid good. I don't know how this happened. But, suddenly, that is a consistent strength.
  • LBs were meh. Pretty much non-existent other than Connor getting blown-up. Lamot was a non-entity. And, I think Bletzer and Richardson are the weakest links on the D. Someone here suggested Muse moving to LB. That could be a great move for both him and the D.
  • DL was good. They, actually were very good. Allen and Ray were all over the field. DT was unspectacular, but stout enough that they occupied blockers.
  • Special teams remains horrific. Extra points not hitting the line in the ass were barely made. Walker's fumble made him gun-shy the rest of the game. No pressure on the WF punter. The good news was that they did a decent job containing Dortch and White was excellent at recovering the onside kick.
  • I hate playing Wake and glad the game is over. They are like Pitt when we were both in the Big East... we never play well against them.
  • Give Wake credit. They defended the way they had to (which we all predicted)... sellout to stop the run and let the DBs go man-to-man with our WRs. Our WRs were better... we won. Against teams like VT, Clemson, Miami, FSU and maybe Ville (with DBs athletic enough to stay with our receivers), BC will have to actually adjust and look for mismatches with LBs (utilizing TEs and RBs).
  • Wake also runs a very gimmicky offense. It drains the DL and was the perfect thing to run against our D who slept-walked through the first two games. While Wake is a pure gimmick, I have no problem with that. It allows them a chance to level the playing field. It is very similar as to why teams like Army and Navy run the Wishbone/Triple Option. Wake will upset a team or two because of it.
  • Clawson has done a nice job with that program. They are a good fit for each other.
  • Most disappointing thing about yesterday was that cubbybear didn't make an appearance.
Last edited by HJS on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am

I think Cheevers is a good player, but it worries me that he sometimes tries for a highlight reel play when it's not there. I like the aggressiveness, but you have to be smart about it.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Agreed on Anthony, people are forgetting this is a sophomore 10 months removed from shredding his knee and he just put up on a line in an ACC road game that we haven't seen in a long long time. He made several big time throws on third & longs (esp the one where Baker flinched). Deshaun tore his ACL a week before Anthony and in his first game back he certainly didn't look like himself.

Re D, they gave up 20 points, 7 of which were on garbage time and the opposition ran >100 plays. I think game plan against the bizarre zone reads / RPOs was to have the DL (especially the DT) just hold up their blocks and allow the LB / secondary to crash. Yeah that was me on Muse, when I saw him make a tackle on kickoff coverage he looked 225+

Special teams remain an embarrassment. Walker was an aberration but the snapping clearly has been a problem all year. Lictenberg didn't even make the trip so it might be Tess for a while, who knows.

Also on Clawson, agree he's a good coach (remember what we endured when Daz had to turn to a true FR QB?) but 3rd and 17 down TDs at the 50 with 6 min to go he went: Draw for 4 yards / Punt. That's terrible.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:[*]I remain shocked that the Heinz Hammer didn't have a headset-throwing outburst at the ST miscues.

100% convinced Jarmond's minions read this board and relayed him to calm the fuck down to stop alienating fans.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 am

CRAP!!! I forgot the most important bullet point.

• Most disappointing thing about yesterday was that cubbybear didn't make an appearance.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC96 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am

Pretty impressive to score 40+ points without a snap in the red zone.
BC96
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:51 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Agreed on Anthony, people are forgetting this is a sophomore 10 months removed from shredding his knee and he just put up on a line in an ACC road game that we haven't seen in a long long time. He made several big time throws on third & longs (esp the one where Baker flinched). Deshaun tore his ACL a week before Anthony and in his first game back he certainly didn't look like himself.

The only point on Brown was that dudes were wide open on the TD passes - often by 10-15 yards - other than the one Glines. He made the throws against no coverage and still almost overthrew two of them, and grossly underthrew the second to Smith. It's fine, against that coverage he had a great day, best we have seen in a long time. I'd like to see him a little more accurate for when we play teams that don't need their corners and safeties in run support.

It's nitpicking, but it will matter against good teams that have D-lines. Wake was really not very good, and the game was only close because of BC's special teams and that death by a thousand cuts offense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:CRAP!!! I forgot the most important bullet point.

That's because you have small man malay.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:CRAP!!! I forgot the most important bullet point.

That's because you have small man malay.

Cubbybear? What is this?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:29 pm

shut up hansen
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:shut up hansen

Shouldn't you be busy complaining about Daz to the Strachans?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:41 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:shut up hansen

Shouldn't you be busy complaining about Daz to the Strachans?

no.

believe it or not, when the game ends people go home.

if you type "cubbybear" into the search function, you will be reminded of who he is
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 pm

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Watching some of the highlights, I think Brown was more accurate than we're giving him credit for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gb-_xaLhx0

6:00 - Here's the 1st TD on play-action to Smith. Live I thought he was slow to get it out, he just took his time to set his feet and maybe it was thrown ONE FOOT too high. Great read and throw.
9:45 - The Kobay White TD was also pretty good timing, waiting for the defender to bite on the move. Maybe the throw was a yard or two under thrown, but it was over the defender's head and that's all that mattered.
12:55 - 3rd down conversion on the go-ahead drive. Great poise, perfect strike.
13:15 - Another 3rd down conversion, under more pressure, perfectly timed with the WR move.
13:35 - Play action TD to Sweeney. Maybe a half a beat too much hesitation, but still a fantastic throw.
14:45 - Another 3rd down conversion strike.
16:45 - Smith for the wide-open TD. This was under thrown. Smith bailed Brown out on this one, no question.
18:47 - Glines in stride. No complaints here at all. Not perfect, but pretty close.

Brown was great in this game. Needs a bit more confidence to pull the trigger the moment he sees it, but that will come in time. And his accuracy, for his 11th game or whatever is really very solid.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:43 pm

He made a real nice throw to Smith on the boundary and to Glines for the TD. Most of the other throws are tough to tell what would have happened if there was a defense out there. We'll see. He's definitely a lot more accurate than last year. If everyone is correct that he's going to complete those passes against teams that use cornerbacks and safeties to cover wide receivers, then it is definitely 10-2 season, because a dominant QB is pretty much all this team needed.

I also think Sebastian and Cheevers are answering one of the other big concerns coming in to this season, replacing Moore and Yiadom. Between the secondary coaching and the recruiting, Camp may be the most important guy in the program.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
  • Anyone who has watched BC over the course of the last 30 years knows that last night had ALL the hallmarks of a WTF. BC was that much more talented to overcome it.
  • The worst thing for me offensively was that Brown looked TERRIBLE running the ball. I can understand the hesitation, but he no longer seems any threat to beat someone with his feet.
  • LBs were meh. Pretty much non-existent other than Connor getting blown-up. Lamot was a non-entity. And, I think Bletzer and Richardson are the weakest links on the D. Someone here suggested Muse moving to LB. That could be a great move for both him and the D.

Excellent summary. But in terms of Brown running the ball, he didn't have many running plays and didn't really need to scramble so not sure I noticed those struggles.

As for the LBs, I'm thinking McDuffie should play more. He has looked decent and when IB'ing recruiting offers, it looks like he had one from Penn St.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Wake is a garbage team and the score should not have been close.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Wake is a garbage team and the score should not have been close.

you must not have read this whole thread. the score was not that close because we get to subtract two special teams touchdowns from wake's score and add a missed extra point to the bc score. so we won by 22.

this is an allowable method because we never miss extra points and never allow points for our opponents on special teams. you get to cancel out the anomaly. i think the acc, ncaa, and vegas all use this same methodology
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:17 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:Wake is a garbage team and the score should not have been close.

you must not have read this whole thread. the score was not that close because we get to subtract two special teams touchdowns from wake's score and add a missed extra point to the bc score. so we won by 22.

this is an allowable method because we never miss extra points and never allow points for our opponents on special teams. you get to cancel out the anomaly. i think the acc, ncaa, and vegas all use this same methodology

Am I still declared winner of the score prediction contest?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:22 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

sure
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:24 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

sure

:fam

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Nice segment on BC to start today's episode of ESPN's Campus Conversation podcast. Apparently we are the second best team in the ACC now.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Los {l Wrote}:Nice segment on BC to start today's episode of ESPN's Campus Conversation podcast. Apparently we are the second best team in the ACC now.

We play the top 7 teams in the conference. The beauty of our schedule is that we will know EXACTLY where we fit in conference rankings. The playoffs have made rankings completely irrelevamt for all but the handful of baby rapists who can lose a game and still make the playoffs.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:11 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
I like The Funishment
Always have

Domingo gets it. Most likely why he is so respected as a poster!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
I like The Funishment
Always have

No idea why so many people hate on Domingo.
There, I said it.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
I like The Funishment
Always have

No idea why so many people hate on Domingo.
There, I said it.

Why don’t you marry him
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Brown, Dillon, Ray earned ACC QB/RB/DL players of the week respectively
Ray also earned Walter Camp player of the week honors (sixth eagle to do that since '04)

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Brown, Dillon, Ray earned ACC QB/RB/DL players of the week respectively
Ray also earned Walter Camp player of the week honors (sixth eagle to do that since '04)

Very nice
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium