Bring in Grad Transfer QB!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bring in Grad Transfer QB!

Postby hansen on Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Those 3 handoffs up 30 against Uconn we burned his redshirt for have surely accelerated his improvement as a quarterback.

Fun offseason game:
Is Daz wily enough to pull this crap as a stealth plan to prevent players from transferring or is that giving him way, way too much credit?

Isn’t the opposite true? They would then have to burn a year of eligibility sitting out on the sideline satisfying the NCAAs transfer rule (thus, getting no snaps over 2 years with 3 years left to play due to the five year eligibility clock)? If he plays a player, then he got at least some snaps in for 1 year of his eligibility and then sits out his redshirt year to satisfy the transfer rule (with 3 years left to play). What am I missing?

I’m dumber now

Funishment said that playing Perry for those snaps is a way to prevent him from transferring.
I’m arguing that this is not a deterrent. In fact, I see it as beneficial to him even if he was to transfer.
The original post was written poorly (I’ve corrected it above) but the reasoning itself seems sound.
What am I missing?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Those 3 handoffs up 30 against Uconn we burned his redshirt for have surely accelerated his improvement as a quarterback.

Fun offseason game:
Is Daz wily enough to pull this crap as a stealth plan to prevent players from transferring or is that giving him way, way too much credit?

Isn’t the opposite true? They would then have to burn a year of eligibility sitting out on the sideline satisfying the NCAAs transfer rule (thus, getting no snaps over 2 years with 3 years left to play due to the five year eligibility clock)? If he plays a player, then he got at least some snaps in for 1 year of his eligibility and then sits out his redshirt year to satisfy the transfer rule (with 3 years left to play). What am I missing?

I’m dumber now

Funishment said that playing Perry for those snaps is a way to prevent him from transferring.
I’m arguing that this is not a deterrent. In fact, I see it as beneficial to him even if he was to transfer.
The original post was written poorly (I’ve corrected it above) but the reasoning itself seems sound.
What am I missing?

Perry seems like a decent enough athlete to me. I question whether he should be playing QB
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu May 31, 2018 11:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Fun offseason game:

I’m dumber now

What am I missing?

Perry seems like a decent enough athlete to me. I question whether he should be playing QB

I doubt he will ever see the field as QB. I have way more confidence that we will see McDonald line behind C for meaningful snaps.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Fun offseason game:

I’m dumber now

What am I missing?

I doubt he will ever see the field as QB. I have way more confidence that we will see McDonald line behind C for meaningful snaps.

If Brown stays healthy I don't think the next QB is on campus yet. Otherwise, I'd guess Perry is the QB if Brown gets hurt this season, but I'd bet on McDonald the longer it goes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu May 31, 2018 1:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If Brown stays healthy...

What about if Brown can't hit the broad side of a barn?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 31, 2018 5:08 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If Brown stays healthy...

What about if Brown can't hit the broad side of a barn?

I'm assuming that will get better, but even if it doesn't, barring injury, he's your QB over those other two. The next QB may be the Michigan kid, but whomever it is, he's not on campus.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hawaiirob on Thu May 31, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm not feeling so confident in our dual threat QB who is coming off a torn ACL and who has awful accuracy, poor touch, and average at best ability to read the D. He may start the season, but I'm calling McDonald as starter by year end and then a nice 3 more years of him. Entirely possible McDonald wins this job this August.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 31, 2018 6:45 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:I'm not feeling so confident in our dual threat QB who is coming off a torn ACL and who has awful accuracy, poor touch, and average at best ability to read the D. He may start the season, but I'm calling McDonald as starter by year end and then a nice 3 more years of him. Entirely possible McDonald wins this job this August.

They’re not starting a true freshman at QB
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu May 31, 2018 6:54 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:I'm not feeling so confident in our dual threat QB who is coming off a torn ACL and who has awful accuracy, poor touch, and average at best ability to read the D. He may start the season, but I'm calling McDonald as starter by year end and then a nice 3 more years of him. Entirely possible McDonald wins this job this August.

No
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 pm

McDonald is not a true frosh. He is the same thing Brown was last year when he got the job over Wade. I don't think it is likely that McD starts the season under center, but I believe there is a chance. I definitely think he is starting by end of year. By the way, none of this is me saying he is the next coming of Matt Ryan. But rather that I believe Brown is bad and now hurt, and that Perry is not a qb. Always fun to watch the games and see what happens. Predictions are free, and worth the hot air that exhales them.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:48 pm

I am standing by my comments.
Pretty soon the locker room will vote. It always does.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby flakes on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Brown is essentially Towles. Wildly inaccurate but can occasionally make plays with his legs. Two LSU QBs just decided they were transferring
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby Darren6 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 am

One of the LSU qb’s is a graduate, McMillan. The other, Narcisse is transferring to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College for this season. He has a great arm and is a powerful runner for a QB...but did have knee injuries for two years in high school. With LSU’s qb problems for the past several seasons, neither could take reigns as the starter. That may be partly the coaching. As an LSU season ticket holder, I would say that Narcisse would be the better get from JUCO after this season, just not sure if McMillan would be better than what BC already has.
"Laissez les bon temps rouler"
Darren6
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:48 am

why did he get relegated to juco? if it's dumbness, arrests, or other thinly veiled "violation of team rules" bc will not touch them
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am

At this point a grad transfer is out the window. Getting someone to learn the offense and develop chemistry with the receivers would be too disruptive.

Daz really should have considered it though. One of the few question marks in the starting 22 is QB. When was the last time we had as much experience and talent at OL, RB, TE and WR?! This has the potential to be the best offense since 2007, and with a solid and experienced Grad Transfer QB I think it could even have been better than the '07 offense. It'll be a real shame if that's wasted because defenses stack the box and we don't have a QB functional enough to hit open receivers.

Here's hoping Brown can stay healthy and progress into the QB we're hoping for...or that McDonald is ready.

10-2
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:17 am

what level of 5th year would've come here given the fact that there's a SO QB who started (when healthy) every game as a FR?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:what level of 5th year would've come here given the fact that there's a SO QB who started (when healthy) every game as a FR?

I actually think BC would be an amazingly attractive landing spot for a grad transfer this year. Near-guaranteed starting job with only an injured sophomore to compete with. Amazing OL which will give you great protection. Competent TE's and WR's. One of the best RB's in the nation who will dominate opposing defenses attention, leaving a QB with lots of man coverage to throw into. And a great schedule, with 6 warm-up games followed by lots of prime time opportunities against Clemson, Miami, FSU, VT, Louisville to buff an NFL resume. Plus, great graduate degree if you don't make the NFL.

We're an attractive landing spot for a grad transfer this year. Very attractive.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:31 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:what level of 5th year would've come here given the fact that there's a SO QB who started (when healthy) every game as a FR?

a shinskie level quarterback
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:50 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

I actually think BC would be an amazingly attractive landing spot for a grad transfer this year. Near-guaranteed starting job with only an injured sophomore to compete with. Amazing OL which will give you great protection. Competent TE's and WR's. One of the best RB's in the nation who will dominate opposing defenses attention, leaving a QB with lots of man coverage to throw into. And a great schedule, with 6 warm-up games followed by lots of prime time opportunities against Clemson, Miami, FSU, VT, Louisville to buff an NFL resume. Plus, great graduate degree if you don't make the NFL.

We're an attractive landing spot for a grad transfer this year. Very attractive.

No
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

No

You guys just don't know how to sell.

:screamyeagle :lame :screamyeagle :lame :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Darren6 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:why did he get relegated to juco? if it's dumbness, arrests, or other thinly veiled "violation of team rules" bc will not touch them

The transfer of Narcisse to MGCCC wasn’t because of troubles or grades, simply so that he can play this season and then sign D1 and be immediately eligible to play. We (LSU fans) have heard for a couple years now that he was the most talented QB on the roster, but couldn’t seem to grab the starting role in practice. Maybe partly because he is a better spread qb and that’s not the style of offense LsU has been running for a few years now
"Laissez les bon temps rouler"
Darren6
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Darren6 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:why did he get relegated to juco? if it's dumbness, arrests, or other thinly veiled "violation of team rules" bc will not touch them

The transfer of Narcisse to MGCCC wasn’t because of troubles or grades, simply so that he can play this season and then sign D1 and be immediately eligible to play. We (LSU fans) have heard for a couple years now that he was the most talented QB on the roster, but couldn’t seem to grab the starting role in practice. Maybe partly because he is a better spread qb and that’s not the style of offense LsU has been running for a few years now

so you’re saying he was too dumb to cut it at super academic lsu but people are willing to lie about it by saying the greatest qb of all time will go squander a year at a juco because he couldn’t beat out his less talented teammates.

Yeah, I’ll speak for bc and say “hard pass” (pun intended)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:32 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Darren6 {l Wrote}:

so you’re saying he was too dumb to cut it at super academic lsu but people are willing to lie about it by saying the greatest qb of all time will go squander a year at a juco because he couldn’t beat out his less talented teammates.

Cam Newton
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Darren6 {l Wrote}:

Cam Newton

I’m not saying he’s not good, I’m saying bc would never look at him. In cam’s case, they wouldn't have paid enough
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Darren6 {l Wrote}:

Cam Newton

I’m not saying he’s not good, I’m saying bc would never look at him. In cam’s case, they wouldn't have paid enough

Interestingly Newton was in the same 2007 recruiting class at FL as Aaron Hernandez and those all around good guy twins, the Pouncey brothers. Coach Urban and associate HC Dazoo had the #1 ranked class that year.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:16 am

I understand promoting the stupid idea of bringing in grad transfer QB's, as Addazio's history of mismanaging the position leads one to believe that anybody with any useful experience would be an improvement. Of course, that also is evidence that 6 years in, Addazio still doesn't have a consistent clue as to the kind of offense he wants to run, year to year. This year is no different, as the QB options appear to be a " dual threat" (cough) option in Brown, or the more conventional pocket QB in McDonald.

The fact that we are two weeks away from season start and that conundrum has not been resolved is so Addazio. So, lets resolve it by looking for an outsider. I get it. Psst...the problem ain't a QB problem. It's a HC problem. But hell, that 8-5 season will put to rest all those nasty speculation about Addazio's ceiling, eh?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:09 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:I understand promoting the stupid idea of bringing in grad transfer QB's, as Addazio's history of mismanaging the position leads one to believe that anybody with any useful experience would be an improvement. Of course, that also is evidence that 6 years in, Addazio still doesn't have a consistent clue as to the kind of offense he wants to run, year to year.

At Boston College, that is an advantage of Addazio, not a disadvantage. Some schools can afford to be super choosy with their recruits because they are plugging them into a offensive and defensive scheme that they know works for them. BC can't afford to be picky and choosy with top notch recruits. BC needs to take every single top notch recruit they can get their hands on and then build an offensive and defensive scheme around those top athletes that maximizes their advantages while minimizing their deficiencies. The only way you accomplish that is by changing the offense and the defense (year-to-year if needs be) to get the most out of your best players. You do NOT force them to play football in a manner that they are not best utilized.

eagletx {l Wrote}:This year is no different, as the QB options appear to be a " dual threat" (cough) option in Brown, or the more conventional pocket QB in McDonald.

We all want the "single threat" Matt Ryan-esque QB back on this team. QBs like that come to BC once in a generation. Until Addazio learns how to recruit those QBs (he doesn't know how yet) we are going to have to make do.

eagletx {l Wrote}:The fact that we are two weeks away from season start and that conundrum has not been resolved is so Addazio. So, lets resolve it by looking for an outsider. I get it. Psst...the problem ain't a QB problem. It's a HC problem. But hell, that 8-5 season will put to rest all those nasty speculation about Addazio's ceiling, eh?

Preaching to the choir. We all want him fired (albeit for different reasons.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:27 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:I understand promoting the stupid idea of bringing in grad transfer QB's, as Addazio's history of mismanaging the position leads one to believe that anybody with any useful experience would be an improvement. Of course, that also is evidence that 6 years in, Addazio still doesn't have a consistent clue as to the kind of offense he wants to run, year to year.

At Boston College, that is an advantage of Addazio, not a disadvantage. Some schools can afford to be super choosy with their recruits because they are plugging them into a offensive and defensive scheme that they know works for them. BC can't afford to be picky and choosy with top notch recruits. BC needs to take every single top notch recruit they can get their hands on and then build an offensive and defensive scheme around those top athletes that maximizes their advantages while minimizing their deficiencies. The only way you accomplish that is by changing the offense and the defense (year-to-year if needs be) to get the most out of your best players. You do NOT force them to play football in a manner that they are not best utilized.

eagletx {l Wrote}:This year is no different, as the QB options appear to be a " dual threat" (cough) option in Brown, or the more conventional pocket QB in McDonald.

We all want the "single threat" Matt Ryan-esque QB back on this team. QBs like that come to BC once in a generation. Until Addazio learns how to recruit those QBs (he doesn't know how yet) we are going to have to make do.

eagletx {l Wrote}:The fact that we are two weeks away from season start and that conundrum has not been resolved is so Addazio. So, lets resolve it by looking for an outsider. I get it. Psst...the problem ain't a QB problem. It's a HC problem. But hell, that 8-5 season will put to rest all those nasty speculation about Addazio's ceiling, eh?

Preaching to the choir. We all want him fired (albeit for different reasons.)

I don’t want him fired. Besides, it’s not like Jagz is walking through that door.
Things may change if he fucks up this season but as of now BC football is fun again for the first time since 2008.
We are getting good recruits again, we are competitive in the Atlantic, we are churning out NFL players, etc.
what more do you want?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 pm

I feel like we win 7, maybe 8 games with some luck and I find myself saying "if we only had a QB" at the end of it all.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:24 pm

I want him fired. I’ve wanted him fired since his first press conference
TobaccoRoadEagle