2018 Spring Practice

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 Spring Practice

Postby NEUBCfan on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:04 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:
NEUBCfan {l Wrote}:Is Steven Daniels a GA or analyst now? (I think that’s him in IG post)

https://instagram.com/p/BhZiCOiDDcP/

Tyler Rouse was also on the sideline at the sping game with a headset on

According to his Instagram, Rouse is now an assistant strength and conditioning coach
NEUBCfan
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:15 pm

https://asaptext.com/orgs/theacc/191/tr ... /27390.pdf

throw. game.

STEVE ADDAZIO: Great to be back on the line here. We just got done with spring practice as many people have. I thought it was very productive, great development throughout the spring. Saw a lot of young guys, got a lot of reps and feel real good about our team and feel real good about the growth we've made in terms of taking the next step and looking forward to a great off-season and starting this thing up.

When you can come to work every day and feel really good about your team and love your team, love being around your team, that's a good sign and that's how I feel about this football team.

So with that, I'm happy to take any questions.

Q. When you added Smith a year ago in an off-field role, was the plan to promote him to full-time as the tenth assistant a year later?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Well, I mean, I think that was the plan but in the same breath, you're evaluating people every day and they have got to do the job at a high level, and you get a chance to see them and know them and appreciate them and then you make a decision whether, you know what, this is the guy I want to go with or not.

And Antoine did a phenomenal job for us here. Obviously built a relationship with myself, with the other coaches, the players. So it became a super-natural fit to be able to come in and be the added tenth assistant. So I've felt that that was a great way to -- sometimes when you have an opening, you go hire somebody, you don't really know somebody. It can be a little bit of a gamble but this was not the case here.

I was really excited to bring Antoine be a part of our staff and new very well what he was capable of and knew what he was and what he was all about and it matched the values I want in this program and we have had a productive spring with him at the helm.

Q. How valuable is it to have an extra assistant around, and why did you decide to have two coaches on the line?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Well, I think it's very valuable to have the extra guy in terms of the ability to teach and keep your ratios at small numbers. I think in being able to be wrapped around your team, welfare, helping them on and off the field; I think when you coach them on the field, you can help them more off the field. I think that is very, very valuable. We are in the business of developing young men, so I think when you talk about the cost of hiring another coach to help develop more young men, I think that's what it's all about.

In terms of the way we decided to go with it, I'm a big believer that it all starts up front, both sides of the ball, and in the pool of our talent made it so that we would hire an extra D-Line coach.

I think I might have heard Pat talk about it earlier; I think, though, that you have the flexibility to figure out what your needs are on your staff and what makes you stronger. There's a lot of ways to go about it. One year it might be that. Maybe at another time based on whatever staff movements you could have, it could be something else.

But I thought the model for us right now, the best thing we could do is to have two D-line coaches and one of them is our coordinator, Jim Reid. So I thought that I could lighten up some of the duties on the coordinator, but yet still be actively involved on the field.

So I felt great about that. That's how we handled it, and you never know in the future, based on what kind of movement you can have on your staff, maybe that would change.

Q. Curious if you could talk a little about the development of some of those other quarterbacks. I'm sure you're hoping to see Anthony healthy and ready to go in time for fall camp and being at a hundred percent, but was there some value in seeing the other guys on the roster have a chance to get the number of snaps they did this spring and how do you evaluate how they performed?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Yeah, that's a good question. I thought a lot about it during spring and even after. It was really such a great thing, in a way, for us. I mean, not great at the expense of Anthony not being there, but these two guys, Matt McDonald and E.J. Perry took every single snap at the ones and the twos. You can't get that kind of development and growth because normally you have all these reps lined up with your returning starter.

So these guys got to experience being a starter, got all kind of reps and their growth was phenomenal. They are both really talented young players. It even surprised me the level that they are at right now. By the end of the spring, you walked away and you said to yourself, boy, those guys can both go into a game and play at a high level and that makes you feel a lot better. It wasn't too many years ago around here, that wasn't the case. You know we struggled through a year where we had nobody.

Now we've got three guys that all can play at a very high level, and we have guys on the way in, too, as well. We have two very talented guys coming into the fold that aren't here yet this spring but Matt McDonald and E.J. Perry looked great in spring ball, gave a lot of confidence to the staff and the team. We moved the ball very well. Made plays, and of course we have Anthony there who is getting better every day and will be in great shape to start the season.

So I think we've added talented depth to our program and we all know in this conference, one of the problems is, the ability to overcome when you have these injuries that you can still keep your level of play at a high level and that's what it's all about. So you've got to develop your youth. It was great for that. Really fantastic.

Q. We've talked about some of the major changes or shifts that you guys were able to do offensively just in terms of tempo and spreading the offense out. You still had E.J. in a lot of eight-man fronts and defenses that were wary of your running game. How much do you think this offense can still continue to grow as that quarterback position grows?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Well, we took a major step this spring in the throw game. We have talented receivers, talented quarterbacks, very talented tight ends, so we can protect the quarterback. We really, if you had to say to me, what was the biggest step we took this spring offensively, I would say without a doubt it was in the throw game and we feel very confident in it.

So it's going to make us a more powerful team because yes, we have a very, very talented, very strong running back behind a good offensive line and it's hard to stop a big back like that. But we can throw the ball now quite well. We have good personnel and I think very confident in that. I think you just become more diversified and it's more on the field for the defense to defend, and that was something we've been working at hard to elevate our game and we've done that, without a doubt. I mean, anybody that watched spring practice could see that firsthand.

So I think that's going to help us. It's going to help our run game, our run game will help our throw game and I think we are going to become a more explosive offense. We know we have tempo, we have playmakers now, and we've got some depth. So I would be surprised if we don't see -- like we saw at the end of the year, I think you'll see our offensive output really increase.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:47 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:This is a bit OT, but just got fwd an article saying Paul Zukauskas is stepping down at Lawrence Academy, going to work for some startup he is involved with. LA has obviously been pretty reliable source last few years.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high-schools/2018/04/04/paul-zukauskas-steps-down-lawrence-academy-football-coach/xIIQutXbBvjKUgE5C92AkM/story.html

Another former BC player to replace him (tweet, tweet)?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:06 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:This is a bit OT, but just got fwd an article saying Paul Zukauskas is stepping down at Lawrence Academy, going to work for some startup he is involved with. LA has obviously been pretty reliable source last few years.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high-schools/2018/04/04/paul-zukauskas-steps-down-lawrence-academy-football-coach/xIIQutXbBvjKUgE5C92AkM/story.html

Another former BC player to replace him (tweet, tweet)?

Looks like Swepson has moved on from his dreams of being the HC for Boston College. His days of bragging about how much golf the staff at NC State is playing and how he could not live on a BC assistants low 6 figure salary seem to be long gone! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm

didn't know where to put this but we'll have to postpone the annual reverend mike redshirt burning threads

new ncaa rule allows a player to play up to 4 games and still receive a rs
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:didn't know where to put this but we'll have to postpone the annual reverend mike redshirt burning threads

Wow! Assuming first 4 games of the season?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:didn't know where to put this but we'll have to postpone the annual reverend mike redshirt burning threads

Is that just medical or is it designed to address the Bama QB deal?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 pm

believe it's any game and for any reason
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm

so basically they are now allowing players 4 1/3 years of eligibility
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Does it have an EJ Perry provision to retroactively cover current players with burned shirts?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:believe it's any game and for any reason

Wow. Interesting rule change. It will be fascinating to see how that impacts teams this year and how coaches want to develop their true frosh.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so basically they are now allowing players 4 1/3 years of eligibility

It is this. So, EJ Perry redshirted last year. This makes all the sense in the world. It helps those kids who aren't automatic NFL prospects. It ultimately helps development-type programs (like ours).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so basically they are now allowing players 4 1/3 years of eligibility

It is this. So, EJ Perry redshirted last year. This makes all the sense in the world. It helps those kids who aren't automatic NFL prospects. It ultimately helps development-type programs (like ours).

Speaking of development programs, did anyone see this:

There are currently a lot of players in Michigan’s football program. There are 154 players, to be exact (including incoming freshman, preferred walk-ons and tryout players.)
That number will have to get down to 110 for fall camp. Jim Harbaugh revealed in his latest podcast that some scholarship players could be left out.
A college football program is allowed to have 85 players on scholarship, so for some of those guys to not make the 110-player fall camp roster, several walk-ons would have had to pass them in Harbaugh’s eyes.

Those 154 and 110 numbers were surprising to me.
How many people does BC have in its program?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:42 am

didn't know if you were posting a hypothetical but it is not retroactive

but it does mean that unless disaster strikes he'll get a rs this year

I still don't know the deal with younger lindstrom, he definitely played in the NIU game. maybe bc is claiming it's a medical RS?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:didn't know if you were posting a hypothetical but it is not retroactive

but it does mean that unless disaster strikes he'll get a rs this year

I still don't know the deal with younger lindstrom, he definitely played in the NIU game. maybe bc is claiming it's a medical RS?

He did. His bio says "should be eligible for a medical redshirt... " IRregardless, it should be easy to only play him in 4 games this season.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 pm

looks like they updated the roster: http://bceagles.com/roster.aspx?path=football (no meatbaum)

travis levy is now #23
david bailey is the same weight as aj
pasq's kid is a walk on
dirstine is 340
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MaxxPower325 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Vrabel’s kid is already up to 300 lbs as well.

We look a little thin/inexperienced at DL
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:32 pm

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/coll ... story.html
Globe article on Brown. Doesn't say how his knee will impact his ability to start hitting the side of a barn.

I talked to someone who recruited him out of High School. He was recruiting him early for a small school. He knew it was just a matter of time before Brown blew-up. He said that AB was "one of the greatest kids" he ever met. Super-nice, impressive, raised the right way... coaches, teachers, administrators at the HS all raved about the kid. "He is one of those rare kids that you really hope does well, because he does everything right."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2018/07/04/quarterback-anthony-brown-nearly-ready-after-knee-surgery/0ZlzyJrycznCDqivTnz3HM/story.html
Globe article on Brown. Doesn't say how his knee will impact his ability to start hitting the side of a barn.

I talked to someone who recruited him out of High School. He was recruiting him early for a small school. He knew it was just a matter of time before Brown blew-up. He said that AB was "one of the greatest kids" he ever met. Super-nice, impressive, raised the right way... coaches, teachers, administrators at the HS all raved about the kid. "He is one of those rare kids that you really hope does well, because he does everything right."

Just like everything we heard about Wade!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 am

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Los on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am

The team is starting to get some national hype. I can see them showing up in the "Also Receiving Votes" category when the actual polls come out. Might give the players some extra motivation to come out hot against UMass and Holy Cross. To be honest, I'd rather not see them ranked to start the season. This team needs to earn everything they get.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:10 pm

I fear that this pre-season ranking will make the players complacent and they'll get shelled even against the garbage teams on the schedule.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 am

Wait. What did I miss? We're suddenly worried about BC players getting cocky?!

Fuck that. Bring on a top 25 preseason ranking. I want the kids to have some swagger. I want them thinking that they can actually win the Atlantic. Let's bury "We are what we are!"

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Los on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Wait. What did I miss? We're suddenly worried about BC players getting cocky?!

Fuck that. Bring on a top 25 preseason ranking. I want the kids to have some swagger. I want them thinking that they can actually win the Atlantic. Let's bury "We are what we are!"

They don't need swagger to beat UMass and Holy Cross. They just need to execute. If anything, overconfidence could be a detriment in those two games. Early season games, even against FCS and MACtion teams, are a weird animal. You see big programs go down in early September all the time because they didn't see a need to turn it up right out of the gates. Just take care of business and come away healthy with a 2-0 record. If they head into Wake or Purdue ranked they'll have all the swagger they need and deserve.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:17 am

... it's like people forget who our coach is.

all of you deserve the kick in the groins that you're going to receive for thinking this team may win more that 6 or 7 games. Ever to 0.500
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Los {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Wait. What did I miss? We're suddenly worried about BC players getting cocky?!

They don't need swagger to beat UMass and Holy Cross. They just need to execute. If anything, overconfidence could be a detriment in those two games. Early season games, even against FCS and MACtion teams, are a weird animal. You see big programs go down in early September all the time because they didn't see a need to turn it up right out of the gates. Just take care of business and come away healthy with a 2-0 record. If they head into Wake or Purdue ranked they'll have all the swagger they need and deserve.

No Top 25 teams, even if unfocused, should lose to UMass or Holy Cross... no matter who the head coach may be. If they need to be "focused" to beat UMass or Holy Cross, they ain't a Top 25 team.

Accordingly, I hope they are a preseason Top25 team. First, it may get a few bandwagon jumpers to show up for a game. Second, it may give the kids a little joy and something they can strive to improve. Third, and most importantly, it adds pressure on Dazoo to deliver something other than .500... and, when he doesn't, pressure on the administration to consider a change.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:

No Top 25 teams, even if unfocused, should lose to UMass or Holy Cross... no matter who the head coach may be. If they need to be "focused" to beat UMass or Holy Cross, they ain't a Top 25 team.

Accordingly, I hope they are a preseason Top25 team. First, it may get a few bandwagon jumpers to show up for a game. Second, it may give the kids a little joy and something they can strive to improve. Third, and most importantly, it adds pressure on Dazoo to deliver something other than .500... and, when he doesn't, pressure on the administration to consider a change.

The EO Coaching Staff could guide BC to a 2-0 record against UMass and HC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:... it's like people forget who our coach is.

all of you deserve the kick in the groins that you're going to receive for thinking this team may win more that 6 or 7 games. Ever to 0.500

It’s this. He screws up a few games a year. See last year’s Wake and NCST games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:

This is my thinking exactly. Daz came in and said 5 year rebuild and then he wants to compete for championships. Let's see if he means it.

I want a preseason top 25 followed by a 6-0 start, national attention, and then for Daz to prove what he's really capable against 5 of the best in the ACC.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:

The EO Coaching Staff could guide BC to a 2-0 record against UMass and HC.

It’s this.
Hand the ball to Dillon and others for 2 quarters and by then we lead by several TDs.
Then play the backups in the 2nd half.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium