OT: Boxing

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: OT: Boxing

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:58 pm

UK Eagle {l Wrote}:For those interested in the Heavyweight division, keep an eye out for British boxer Anthony Joshua, the kid is an absolute beast and is primed to fight Wilder or Klitshcko next year.

He is jacked in a Holyfield-sorta-way. I'd like to see how he does against Dillian Whyte first. Not that I think Whyte is all that good, just that I think he may actually land a punch (which can't be said about Joshua's previous fighters). Wilder has been stepping up his challenges (specifically Stiverne followed by a couple of guys with great chins). Ultimately, it will never happen, but I'd like to see Wilder and Joshua face each other now while they are both raw.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:21 pm

Tyson Fury beat wald kiltchko
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:23 pm

QuailMan {l Wrote}:Tyson Fury beat wald kiltchko

Wlad looked toast (he is almost 40). Fury dominated that fight.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
UK Eagle {l Wrote}:For those interested in the Heavyweight division, keep an eye out for British boxer Anthony Joshua, the kid is an absolute beast and is primed to fight Wilder or Klitshcko next year.

He is jacked in a Holyfield-sorta-way. I'd like to see how he does against Dillian Whyte first. Not that I think Whyte is all that good, just that I think he may actually land a punch (which can't be said about Joshua's previous fighters). Wilder has been stepping up his challenges (specifically Stiverne followed by a couple of guys with great chins). Ultimately, it will never happen, but I'd like to see Wilder and Joshua face each other now while they are both raw.

The Joshua fight was fun to watch last night but in not sure he can beat wilder
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon May 01, 2017 12:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

When they both punched themselves out in the 5th, I thought we were going to get a Rocky 2 moment.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon May 01, 2017 12:53 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

When they both punched themselves out in the 5th, I thought we were going to get a Rocky 2 moment.

but what you really wanted was a rocky iii moment

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby biggestskyeagle on Mon May 01, 2017 1:54 pm

This is the perfect thread for the message board that already has everything.

Boxing died with Evander Holyfield's ear.
biggestskyeagle
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon May 01, 2017 2:22 pm

biggestskyeagle {l Wrote}:Boxing died with Evander Holyfield's ear.

No shit. The championships are meaningless but it is still entertaining.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 01, 2017 2:55 pm

It's true for the heavyweight division, though I'd say that's more on Lewis and Klitchko brothers refusing to fight. The lower weight divisions have ranged from mediocre to legendary over that time period.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Wilder and Joshua agree to two-fight deal, with first bout in UK and rematch in US. Finally, a heavyweight fight worth paying for.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wilder and Joshua agree to two-fight deal, with first bout in UK and rematch in US. Finally, a heavyweight fight worth paying for.

Sounds like this isn't offical yet. Seems like the Wilder camp agreed to the terms proposed. But, no agreement has been signed. I see this as a feeler to see the public reaction. I think we are aways away from happening.
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... ddie-hearn
https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/boxing-fa ... as-wanted/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wilder and Joshua agree to two-fight deal, with first bout in UK and rematch in US. Finally, a heavyweight fight worth paying for.

Sounds like this isn't offical yet. Seems like the Wilder camp agreed to the terms proposed. But, no agreement has been signed. I see this as a feeler to see the public reaction. I think we are aways away from happening.
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... ddie-hearn
https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/boxing-fa ... as-wanted/

Yeah. Joshua should’ve cashed-in when he had the chance.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:03 am

That was hilarious. I am surprised the kid didn’t try to eat Joshua after he ko’d him. As Teddy Atlas said “He destroyed Joshua and 100 years of wisdom concerning physical fitness.”

Apparently, Joshua got paid $10 million to fight by one of the sponsors. Not sure that was a good ROI in light of the outcome. Of course, the Heavyweight division is garbage so who knows what he and Wilder would have ultimately made.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:46 am

That was a terrible fight. Jesus. That fat fuck is horrible to watch. No wonder boxing is dead.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:31 am

Boxing is always dead. Until the next big fight. Probably the best ctrl + v take people can give.

45 lb difference, knockdown on a punch to the back of the head, and broken ear drum early with no change in strategy did this one in. Liked the entrance. Though part of me misses Iron Mike coming down to DMX on his way to get killed by [insert late-90s/early-00s HW here].
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:40 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Boxing is always dead. Until the next big fight. Probably the best ctrl + v take people can give.

45 lb difference, knockdown on a punch to the back of the head, and broken ear drum early with no change in strategy did this one in. Liked the entrance. Though part of me misses Iron Mike coming down to DMX on his way to get killed by [insert late-90s/early-00s HW here].

Great thanks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:19 am

Wilder seemed completely unprepared for the fight. He did not know what the hell to do with an opponent who was aggressively taking the fight to him. He only landed a total of 34 punches.

There is a long list of things that killed boxing. But, chief among them was Larry Holmes making a run at Rocky’s 49-0 by fighting the likes Gerry Cooney 48 times. Thankfully, Mike Sphinx put an end to it. But, it got in the minds of promoters like Don King that you could make millions with crap fighters who only face tomato cans. In the days of Ali, everyone fought the best and the result was losses and rematches. Basically, quality drove the interest. That’s the model that MMA seems to be following. Joshua and Wilder should’ve fought 2 times by now. Same with Fury-Joshua. Instead, we will have to wait another 2 years to see a meaningful heavy weight fight.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 pm

It’s more that boxing has been controlled by a small handful of promoters who don’t want their fighters to fight other promoters. So good fights don’t happen until the fighters are past their primes.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:18 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:It’s more that boxing has been controlled by a small handful of promoters who don’t want their fighters to fight other promoters. So good fights don’t happen until the fighters are past their primes.

So that's awesome and means boxing is definitely not dead.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:08 pm

And you’re a miserable prick who everyone wishes were dead too. It’s weaker but not dead and is a niche sport that is doing quite well on FS1, ESPN+ and DAZN. Mismanagement has been an issue but proclaiming boxing is dead shows you know jack shit about boxing. Which has never stopped you from posting stupidity before.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:47 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:And you’re a miserable prick who everyone wishes were dead too. It’s weaker but not dead and is a niche sport that is doing quite well on FS1, ESPN+ and DAZN. Mismanagement has been an issue but proclaiming boxing is dead shows you know jack shit about boxing. Which has never stopped you from posting stupidity before.

Thanks Max Kellerman.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48 am

This slapfight is worse than the one this weekend
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:56 am

Eh, I think it's funny elvii gets this fired up about his boxing expertise in a thread where 3 people post.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:48 am

Really burned me there. Both times. I'm just pointing out that you're a dumbass. Which I personally enjoy given your facade.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:And you’re a miserable prick who everyone wishes were dead too. It’s weaker but not dead and is a niche sport that is doing quite well on FS1, ESPN+ and DAZN. Mismanagement has been an issue but proclaiming boxing is dead shows you know jack shit about boxing. Which has never stopped you from posting stupidity before.

Thanks Max Kellerman.

Max was the best break dancer in 6th grade.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:40 pm

Apochi v. Glanton on FOX right now is the best fight in ages
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:50 pm

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:51 am

That recap really drew my attention.PBC put up 6 minutes of highlights, underscoring the fight's intensity.

Split decision for Glanton in an upset. Curious what Teddy thinks amongst others who follow boxing more closely. From what I can tell, it seems like Glanton's stronger and has more power. He also seems to be sounder fundamentally than Apochi. But Apochi seems to be more skilled as a boxer, and seems to have a higher ceiling for endurance than Glanton. To me it seemed that Apochi made a lot of defensive mistakes, such as not crouching his head down into his gloves, so that the body is protected also. From the highlights I watched, it also seemed that he didn't keep his head moving the way one might like, but rather it remained in a largely fixed position.

It must be that you have to be in such incredible shape to do that and to keep throwing bombs throughout a 10+ round fight, so I'm guessing the head behind gloves at body level is probably more important. It just seems to me that while Glanton is also on an upward trajectory, that Apochi has more flaws to fix and thus more room to improve.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm

Cruiserweight is what the Heavyweight bouts should look like.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Cruiserweight is what the Heavyweight bouts should look like.

This. Big dudes that cannot afford to get fat. Glanton was a Defensive Tackle before he took up boxing and lost 100+ pounds while getting jacked.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium