2018 Spring Practice

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 Spring Practice

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 am

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13437&p=489857&hilit=QB+recruiting#p489848

Not even a broken search function could keep it under 15 seconds.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am

The parallels between TRE (sounds like mandolin) and nospace on this subject are creepy:

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15660&p=474328&hilit=+recruiting#p474328
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:we are scary thin at the most important position, amazing in year 6

In the spring, yes. But we have two freshman QBs coming in who seem legitimate. If Brown goes down, then one of those guys might take over as the starter. With the transfer rules the way they are now, there are more moving pieces to a roster. But at the same time, freshman QBs are also more ready to play as a result of all of the camps and training that goes on at the high school level. Look at Bama, last year they started a freshman in the national title game (who was not that highly rated, relatively speaking), and this year they had a true freshman come in and tear it up and win the game.

That Bama freshman was a Top 30 player overall and the #1 QB in the country...

Try again

I was referring to Jalen Hurts when I said "last year." He was 192.

Hurt is/was not good as a QB but point taken.

Neither of these freshman are anywhere near that level.

One of them just needs to be better than Darius Wade for our QB depth to be better than it was in 2017. Not an unrealistic expectation.

No, but with Assdazio's track record of developing QBs, I doubt either one will perform to that level. It'll be another excuse for Coach Thin Skin

Debatable. Tyler Murphy came in with a limited track record and he rushed for the most yards ever by an ACC QB (at the time). Anthony Brown was also improving, quickly in my opinion, before he went down.

He's been here five years. His first transfer and the freshman incumbent are the best you can do and that was a huge stretch.

Wade and Brown are really the only two legitimate QB recruits that he's brought in out of high school. One never worked out and one was looking pretty good before he got injured. As noted by others, QB recruiting has not been a strong point. QB development is debatable.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:we are scary thin at the most important position, amazing in year 6

In the spring, yes. But we have two freshman QBs coming in who seem legitimate. If Brown goes down, then one of those guys might take over as the starter. With the transfer rules the way they are now, there are more moving pieces to a roster. But at the same time, freshman QBs are also more ready to play as a result of all of the camps and training that goes on at the high school level. Look at Bama, last year they started a freshman in the national title game (who was not that highly rated, relatively speaking), and this year they had a true freshman come in and tear it up and win the game.

Try again

One of them just needs to be better than Darius Wade for our QB depth to be better than it was in 2017. Not an unrealistic expectation.

No, but with Assdazio's track record of developing QBs, I doubt either one will perform to that level. It'll be another excuse for Coach Thin Skin

Debatable. Tyler Murphy came in with a limited track record and he rushed for the most yards ever by an ACC QB (at the time). Anthony Brown was also improving, quickly in my opinion, before he went down.

He's been here five years. His first transfer and the freshman incumbent are the best you can do and that was a huge stretch.

Wade and Brown are really the only two legitimate QB recruits that he's brought in out of high school. One never worked out and one was looking pretty good before he got injured. As noted by others, QB recruiting has not been a strong point. QB development is debatable.

Brown had one game that wasn't horrible and wasn't a ton better than the way Wade played at Syracuse. While Brown could be good, basing the development of QBs over the past five years based on one performance of six by a redshirt freshman is not the strongest evidence in favor.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 am

And ignoring that he didn't develop Robinson, Smith, Fadule, Flutie, Lewis et al. by simply labeling them "not legitimate QBs" with the hindsight of knowing that he switched them to other positions after failing to develop them is priceless. If Brown ends up at WR after next season, is he still a legit QB recruit?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Try again

Brown had one game that wasn't horrible and wasn't a ton better than the way Wade played at Syracuse. While Brown could be good, saying the development of QBs over the past five years based on one performance of six by a redshirt freshman is not the strongest evidence in favor.

I agree with this.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And ignoring that he didn't develop Robinson, Smith, Fadule, Flutie, Lewis et al. by simply labeling them "not legitimate QBs" with the hindsight of knowing that he switched them to other positions after failing to develop them is priceless. If Brown ends up at WR after next season, is he still a legit QB recruit?

Based on recruiting rankings. I shouldn't have to spell everything out.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And ignoring that he didn't develop Robinson, Smith, Fadule, Flutie, Lewis et al. by simply labeling them "not legitimate QBs" with the hindsight of knowing that he switched them to other positions after failing to develop them is priceless. If Brown ends up at WR after next season, is he still a legit QB recruit?

He developed Wade into a hell of a Spring Game player who some believed would have led the team to more than 7 wins if given the chance to start all year (and would be coming back this season). So, if you think Wade is an 8+ win QB, you have to admit Daz recruited and developed a decent QB.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:28 am

i'm sorry that i keep harping on him missing out on recruiting for our greatest weakness for 5 years in a row - how petty of me.

it will be interesting to see what happens this year when the real in-game coach from 2017 sits in detroit thinking about the lions game on sunday and the heinz hammer runs around recruiting and developing a decent quartback

p and s - i think we're about 4 games away from brown getting the wade treatment ("he is not very good at footballing - how could we have assumed he was our pending savior") so on that point i think we agree. nothing good has ever come out of st. john vianney
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Based on recruiting rankings. I shouldn't have to spell everything out.

By basing things on recruiting rankings, you pretty much did.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

He developed Wade into a hell of a Spring Game player who some believed would have led the team to more than 7 wins if given the chance to start all year (and would be coming back this season). So, if you think Wade is an 8+ win QB, you have to admit Daz recruited and developed a decent QB.

I smell sarcasm, but I'm not awake enough to unravel it here.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I smell sarcasm, but I'm not awake enough to unravel it here.

i read it as more of a "prediction box" with a side of sarcasm
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm sorry that i keep harping on him missing out on recruiting for our greatest weakness for 5 years in a row - how petty of me.

it will be interesting to see what happens this year when the real in-game coach from 2017 sits in detroit thinking about the lions game on sunday and the heinz hammer runs around recruiting and developing a decent quartback

p and s - i think we're about 4 games away from brown getting the wade treatment ("he is not very good at footballing - how could we have assumed he was our pending savior") so on that point i think we agree. nothing good has ever come out of st. john vianney

The point is that you weren't harping on him missing out on QB, everyone else is doing that. You are just mimicking nospace and turning QB failures into failed recruiting as a whole. I know you don't like sports, but you are better than that.

I don't agree that either Wade or Brown is not good at football, nor do I think either is a savior. I think Brown has more upside but Wade was more accurate. I also think Brown couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door with a football most of last year, and that as a result, I would have preferred Check Down Darius over Incomplete Anthony. I do think that if there were a QB developer on the staff that Brown has long term potential.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am

not really - i was linking him not recruiting or developing a qb (usually an important position for football success) to a big black mark against his ability to recruit. kinda like an "other than that, how was the play mrs. lincoln..."

we disagree on brown's future. i believe he will muddle through this year at qb (if you and injuries allows him to return) and then he will turn into jeff smith 4.3 that just needs to get the ball in space and make things happen
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:not really - i was linking him not recruiting or developing a qb (usually an important position for football success) to a big black mark against his ability to recruit. kinda like an "other than that, how was the play mrs. lincoln..."

we disagree on brown's future. i believe he will muddle through this year at qb (if you and injuries allows him to return) and then he will turn into jeff smith 4.3 that just needs to get the ball in space and make things happen

He's not remotely close to Smith as an athlete. If he moved to WR he'd be Elijah Robinson 2.0, not Jeff Smith 3.0

I also didn't say it was his future, I said if they actually could develop a QB, he's have real good upside. I've established that I think their development of QBs blows. The guy Darius Wade threw bombs to in high school now plays on Sundays.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:not really - i was linking him not recruiting or developing a qb (usually an important position for football success) to a big black mark against his ability to recruit. kinda like an "other than that, how was the play mrs. lincoln..."

He's not remotely close to Smith as an athlete. If he moved to WR he'd be Elijah Robinson 2.0, not Jeff Smith 3.0

I also didn't say it was his future, I said if they actually could develop a QB, he's have real good upside. I've established that I think their development of QBs blows. The guy Darius Wade threw bombs to in high school now plays on Sundays.

On the Buccaneers!

Also, I think I could've developed Jeff Smith into a good QB. Here Jeff, run the read-option.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Had you not completely fucked the search function in a hissy fit

real talk
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Try again

Brown had one game that wasn't horrible and wasn't a ton better than the way Wade played at Syracuse.

Brown played well against UVA and good enough against FSU. If he plays at least as well as he did in the UVA game, we can beat anyone on our 2018 schedule (but probably won't because of the head coach).
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Try again

Brown had one game that wasn't horrible and wasn't a ton better than the way Wade played at Syracuse.

Brown played well against UVA and good enough against FSU. If he plays at least as well as he did in the UVA game, we can beat anyone on our 2018 schedule (but probably won't because of the head coach).

That and the fact that he played that well in one game. But let's assume he'll play all 11 like that and stay healthy for the sake of hyperbole.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Try again

That and the fact that he played that well in one game. But let's assume he'll play all 11 like that and stay healthy for the sake of hyperbole.

Edited to aid tw
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:00 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Try again

Edited to aid tw

Thanks. I wouldn't have recognized rampant speculation without bolding and elevated font.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Try again

Edited to aid tw

That UVA game was the only one in which he completed over 50% of his passes. I, just as much as anybody, hope he does well, but he has to play a lot better than he did last year. Other than that UVA game, he was pretty bad.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Try again

Edited to aid tw

That UVA game was the only one in which he completed over 50% of his passes. I, just as much as anybody, hopes he does well, but he has to play a lot better than he did last year. Other than that UVA game, he was pretty bad.

he will be less youthful this year and therefore, by the transitive property, HAS to be better... especially with all the working out and training he's done since his injury. at this point, i think it's time to start worrying about him going to the nfl after this season and taking supercoach t.s. slaughter with him
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Baker, E. Johnson & Brown out for the spring. Sounds like Fadule is healthy. Anyone know about the other injured guys: Leonard, Strachan, Richardson and Lamont?

The comments made in the Baum interviews lead me to think that Leonard is done. Missing an entire season because of a concussion is not a good sign.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Who’s going to be starting C next season? Baker is coming back but Petrula was really good last year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

The upside of such a depleted QB roster going into Spring is that we'll probably see a focus on short passes. I'd love to see a lot more focus on short passes to AJ Dillon. Get him as much practice catching the ball as possible. Regardless of who the QB is, he's our best offensive weapon and we need to exploit every possible way to get him the ball.

With a healthy, developing Brown BC's offense can be great in 2018.

Even if Brown isn't ready to go and we have another Flutie/Fadule situation, I think 2018 will look more like '13 than it will '15. With the OL and Dillon we'll be a predictable one dimensional offense that still puts up yards and points, enough to probably get back to 6-7 wins. The Chase Rettig year all over again...

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:The upside of such a depleted QB roster going into Spring is that we'll probably see a focus on short passes. I'd love to see a lot more focus on short passes to AJ Dillon. Get him as much practice catching the ball as possible. Regardless of who the QB is, he's our best offensive weapon and we need to exploit every possible way to get him the ball.

Even if Brown isn't ready to go and we have another Flutie/Fadule situation, I think 2018 will look more like '13 than it will '15. With the OL and Dillon we'll be a predictable one dimensional offense that still puts up yards and points, enough to probably get back to 6-7 wins. The Chase Rettig year all over again...

Chase Rettig had a 62% completion percentage and a 17/8 TD/INT ratio that year. He didn't throw for a lot of yards, but you need a QB
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:The upside of such a depleted QB roster going into Spring is that we'll probably see a focus on short passes. I'd love to see a lot more focus on short passes to AJ Dillon. Get him as much practice catching the ball as possible. Regardless of who the QB is, he's our best offensive weapon and we need to exploit every possible way to get him the ball.

Chase Rettig had a 62% completion percentage and a 17/8 TD/INT ratio that year. He didn't throw for a lot of yards, but you need a QB

and his family was really nice and gave nospace hot dogs and a hot carl, which they then turned into a nice hot lunch for nospace all while claver was texting nospace asking if claver could do a handstand, would nospace then give claver a hug during that handstand (clothing optional)

eepstein was jealous because his weener is too micro to penetrate saran wrap, so he couldn't participate in the hot lunch (since nospace was eating it all, as a fatty is wont to do)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Brown had one game that wasn't horrible and wasn't a ton better than the way Wade played at Syracuse. While Brown could be good, saying the development of QBs over the past five years based on one performance of six by a redshirt freshman is not the strongest evidence in favor.

we got a wade at Syracuse level from wade once
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy