Rangers Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Rangers Weirdos

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 am

Jettisoning Girardi was a good move but av is still rolling out Staal, Holden and Kampfer who are all trash. And Smith had been as well.

It’s blow it up time. After trading Step for picks (since D’Angelo was sent down) should’ve made that clear, but I bought into the “rebuild on the fly” thing.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:02 am

Hey! Tanner Glass is on waivers. Even money he ends up back on the 4th line.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53 pm

I think it is great that AV started winning enough to save his job. It will make our eighth place finish that much more delightful in the wake of our first round shellacking to know that like the poor, AV will always be with us.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:25 pm

tear it down
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:05 pm

I get that you're always in the game if you have Hank mentality, but given the way they built this team and AV coaches it, it was probably time to trade him 2 years ago.

Other than that, get what you can for any vet. Even McDononaugh. Sucks but its time.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Word out of Ranger land is that McDononaugh, Zucc, Nash and Grabner are on the trading block as the Rangers have decided to reboot and basically skip making the playoffs for an eighth straight year. According to TSN they think they can get a few 1st round picks, and a few young contributors. They are also likely to deal Descharnais and Holden—TSN said they could get a 4th or 5th rounder for each, which was surprising. I thought TSN was a bit bullish on what the Rangers could get for Nash, but the article reminded me that they got two first round picks and a 4th and 5th rounder for 36 year old Brian Leetch, who proceeded to suck on the Leafs and Bruins, and frankly was skating with a fork in his back on the Rangers at that point, so maybe someone will overpay for Nash. McDononaugh should definitely command a Leetch-type haul.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Word out of Ranger land is that McDononaugh, Zucc, Nash and Grabner are on the trading block as the Rangers have decided to reboot and basically skip making the playoffs for an eighth straight year. According to TSN they think they can get a few 1st round picks, and a few young contributors. They are also likely to deal Descharnais and Holden—TSN said they could get a 4th or 5th rounder for each, which was surprising. I thought TSN was a bit bullish on what the Rangers could get for Nash, but the article reminded me that they got two first round picks and a 4th and 5th rounder for 36 year old Brian Leetch, who proceeded to suck on the Leafs and Bruins, and frankly was skating with a fork in his back on the Rangers at that point, so maybe someone will overpay for Nash. McDononaugh should definitely command a Leetch-type haul.

Nash managed to increase his trade value in the last few weeks before that California road trip. I would be sorry to see McDonagh go.

The elephant in the room is that Vigneault is not the one to bring a Cup to New York. The sooner they realize that the better. If Quenneville really is done in Chicago, they'd be foolish not to make a run at him. Gut the team, hire Quenneville, and let him build a Cup competitor again.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:57 pm

I think AV would be gone under such a scenario as he does not have the temperament and desire to coach a young team. It will be interesting that when/if the rumored housekeeping takes place, Kreider will be the longest tenured skater at 25 years of age. I also heard that they may be shopping Hank as well. Hank has been playing really well since mid-November and there are teams--the Blues specifically--who could take the cap hit and who are Cup contenders despite underwhelming goaltending (Carter Hutton and Jake Allen). The two questions are would Hank agree to the trade--how badly does he want to win the Cup versus trying to hang on through what will be a rebuild (even if it is a short rebuild) and what would St Louis give up for probably two playoffs worth of a goal tending upgrade over their current option.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:49 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I think AV would be gone under such a scenario as he does not have the temperament and desire to coach a young team. It will be interesting that when/if the rumored housekeeping takes place, Kreider will be the longest tenured skater at 25 years of age. I also heard that they may be shopping Hank as well. Hank has been playing really well since mid-November and there are teams--the Blues specifically--who could take the cap hit and who are Cup contenders despite underwhelming goaltending (Carter Hutton and Jake Allen). The two questions are would Hank agree to the trade--how badly does he want to win the Cup versus trying to hang on through what will be a rebuild (even if it is a short rebuild) and what would St Louis give up for probably two playoffs worth of a goal tending upgrade over their current option.

AV has demonstrated his inability to deal with young talent as evidenced by his absolutely atrocious use of Buchnevich, as well as the way he handled Hayes in his second year. He has consistently failed to put his young players in a position to succeed. I would not be disappointed if AV decided to walk after this. Maybe we can do another swap with Chicago the way we did with Vancouver.

I feel like the Rangers shop Hank each year to see what they could get. However, I think most teams recognize that he is on the back end of his career and aren't willing to give what I would think the Rangers would hope they could get for him. You could argue the move should have been made a few years ago when Cam Talbot demonstrated he was more than adept at filling the starting goalie role. If they really do shed all the older talent on the team (Mac, Zucc, Nash) they may hold onto Hank for his veteran presence as well.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:49 am

Alright, we're up to 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and still have at least McDonaugh to go. Hear there's interest around Zucc (who I would hate to see go, but maybe Calgary grabs him to play with Johnny), and I assume that at least one of Miller/Hayes/Spooner will be traded as well.

Less likely that someone wants to take Hank but it's probably time (a year or two late to be truthful) and it'd be awesome if we could find a way to clear some of the dead $$ on the blue line but I'm not sure why anyone takes on Staal or Smith at this point
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 am

they have to get rid of mcdonagh today. have to.

the lundqvist extension, of 7 years at 32 years old, at a ridiculous 8.5 aav, was exactly the type of thing that teams that struggle to win championships do.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:40 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:they have to get rid of mcdonagh today. have to.

the lundqvist extension, of 7 years at 32 years old, at a ridiculous 8.5 aav, was exactly the type of thing that teams that struggle to win championships do.

Yeah but then they were in the finals shortly after. I think if they won in 2015, itd be an excusable investment. Now, of course, he's really going to be the biggest blockade in moving forward from "rebuilding" to "rebuilt
'
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:50 pm

my hope is that he softens his stance on being a nyr for life this summer...well prob have to eat at least a couple mil on the contract though
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:52 pm

McD and Miller to TB for a 1st, conditional 2nd and 3 prospects.

It'd be sad/hilarious if Cooper decides to tie Girardi around McDonaugh's ankles again.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 pm

i dont know anything about the prospects and only time will tell on those (and the picks), but i wonder how much more we got incrementally by adding miller to the deal
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Also I messed up. They got Namestikov (can't spell his name right) as one of the guys. Pending RFA 20/20 pts/assists right now.

Apparently Hawley is TB's 2nd best prospect according to prospect weirdos.

The 2nd rounder in 2019 becomes a 1st rounder if TB wins the Cup this year or next.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 am

surprised it only took 6 hours for gordon to launch the frog into orbit

we have our first david quinn mention from brooks, hard pass on that idea

https://nypost.com/2018/04/08/rangers-m ... ing-coach/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Saw that as well. Brooks must be drinking again. My guess is it is one of the AHL guys.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:40 pm

If Barry Trotz doesn’t get re upped I’d really like him. I think a better defense and player usage and they may squeeze another run out of Hank.

Also apparently Kovalchuk is signing w the Rags for 2/3 years next year.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:03 pm

We don’t want Trotz. I have spoken to enough Caps and former Caps to know that. Yes, he is a good regular season coach, but his playoff record is atrocious. He is like the NHL version of David Quinn in terms of doing less with more.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:surprised it only took 6 hours for gordon to launch the frog into orbit

we have our first david quinn mention from brooks, hard pass on that idea

https://nypost.com/2018/04/08/rangers-m ... ing-coach/

Brooks tweeted out that Quinn has told everyone that he's staying at BU. Really hope so,

I guess the Rangers were interested in Montgomery before Dallas got him. I could've gotten behind that I think.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat May 19, 2018 10:02 am

Oh this fuckin sucks
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat May 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Done with the Rangers if Larry Brooks is correct and Quinn is the hire. Might as well hop on the Vegas bandwagon and stay there. This is what happens when you give Chris Drury a front office position. His Hobey Baker win is still one of the great travesties in college history.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat May 19, 2018 4:39 pm

yeah not a fan

wasn't a fan of montgomery either but would've preferred him to quinn, think monty is a pretty developer of talent. but i won't forget him whining like nospace after you cut off his unlimited breadsticks when jerry had the audacity to put out the powerplay unit with a period to go mid stomping in worcester
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:36 am

Greg Brown made the news or something according to twitter.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:35 am

i turn to people wiser than i for a discussion that is probably better suited for after the deadline on monday

but am i the only one wondering wtf is going on at msg?

i fully supported the teardown as the core had a successful run for a very long time (yes i know no cup) but was aging out and it was finally time to pay the piper after years of dealing away essentially every draft pick. could they squeak out a couple more years of 8 seeds only to get stomped in the first round? probably but what's the point in that?

i found the return last year for miller & mcdonagh to be meh, more quantity over quality, (though i guess we'll see how howden develops but custance et. al. don't see him as a top 6).

the team realistically is what 2-3 more seasons from going for it? by then shatty (who is a corpse), staal (who has been a corpse), smith & hank will be off the books. if we agree 2021-22 is more the timeline, it's probably time to either extend or trade kreider who will rightfully be looking for a full market rate after taking a discount on last deal, then do you really want to extend a F whose game is speed & size at 29+?

then there's the issue of hank, how can a team truly be rebuilding when it has a 36 year old HOF w the 2nd highest cap hit for the position?

it just all seems very half assed. zucc & mcquaid (shouldn't be playing this week as they have no future at msg) and if it's determined that kevin doesn't either why is he playing?

maybe i'm not fully appreciating the rebuild necessary after years of pillaging any valued pick.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:15 am

well last night makes you feel better about the rebuild
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Meh. They’ll figure out a way to fuck it up. Sure they’ll get Hughes or the Finn, but they’ll probably spend the other picks on re-drafting Hugh Jessiman or they’ll trade Kreider for magic beans or something similarly Ranger-like.

Exit question: Is TB’s implosion against the Blue Jackets the product of having so many former Rangers on the roster. Holy shit, Torts was smiling behind the bench tonight. You know you have shit the bed as a team Torts is coaching against you and isn’t wearing an expression of unbridled rage or self-loathing/disgust.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:yeah not a fan

wasn't a fan of montgomery either but would've preferred him to quinn, think monty is a pretty developer of talent. but i won't forget him whining like nospace after you cut off his unlimited breadsticks when jerry had the audacity to put out the powerplay unit with a period to go mid stomping in worcester

Guess we dodged a bullet avoiding Monty

Haven’t heard what allegations were but it’s gotta be a pretty airtight case for this to go down as quickly as it did
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:47 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:yeah not a fan

Guess we dodged a bullet avoiding Monty

Haven’t heard what allegations were but it’s gotta be a pretty airtight case for this to go down as quickly as it did

The thing about Monty is that he is a Shawn Walsh guy, so you should assume upfront that he is unethical and dishonest as a default position. Not surprising that he was engaged in bad behavior and not surprising that he lacked the intelligence to cover it up properly--that is very Shawn Walsh-esque as well.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink