Brian Kelly recruiting....

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Brian Kelly recruiting....

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 pm

How do these online programs ensure academic integrity? I've never understood this.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:04 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Query:
Does having an MBA make a big deal in hiring a manager at your company?
If they have their MBA from a good school but it was online does it matter?

My buddy wants to drop $115k on an online MBA from UNC, not sure its worth it. We look at experience and the MBA could be a tie-breaker with the school being a 2nd tier tie-breaker, but I may look askance at an online degree.

This also applies to hiring butlers.

The biggest benefit of getting an MBA is the network and access to companies. Learning is nice but that’s secondary for the purposes of an MBA. Unless you are making a very targeted career change, I wouldn’t do the online option. Just not worth it. In full disclosure, I went full time at Michigan and think it’s been very beneficial in terms of getting me more on track with an industry/career track I’m interested in and got a significant raise. That said, unless you have a solid network, it likely matters most for the first job and then it’s up to you from there.

When we do recruiting at our company, we tend to not really consider part-timers unless they do a good job of reaching out to us. Acceptance is less strict and academics less rigorous whereas the school serves as a filter for full timers.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:I immediately discount any degree received online. even at a tobaccoroad company, a unc online mba does nothing for me

I think he basically looked at a list of business schools and found the best one that did online degrees. I told him its not worth the cash when he is close to 20 schools with degrees, I am not saying go to Ramapo or Columbia or bust, but you have some decent schools like RU/Seton Hall at the same cost.

Caveat, if the online degree was Columbia and he could say he went there and the degree doesnt say Online, he could probably do it. There is no way to say you went to UNC and commuted.

A lot of schools now get rid of the online designation on the degree. You would have no idea unless the person said something. Maybe he just really wants to be a non-sidewalk alumni Tar Heel fan?

I assumed he looked up best B program and then cross referenced it with online degrees.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:43 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:How do these online programs ensure academic integrity? I've never understood this.

Honor system? Exams in person? Oral exams? We are dealing with older professionals, you would hope there is some integrity.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:45 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}: I went full time at Michigan

Come on, this is a bad example in the context of this conversation. Of course an MBA from UM is worth it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Late to this, but paying a lot for a name MBA online program doesn't seem like a good ROI. As pointed out by others the value of the prestigious programs is in the recruiting from the program (will online have the same access or process?) or in the networking with fellow students (will UNC's online provide that effectively?). For most C-level positions, they will want it, but they care more about checking the box for the three letters and less about how prestigious it is/was.

While UNC is a fine school with a national alumni population, the network is strongest in NC and I would guess the majority of their recruiting/placement remains in the southeast. Is your friend even in the southeast?

Don't know if this is an Atlanta area thing, but I got my old company to pay for my MBA (UGA). My neighbor got his from Georgia Tech with his company paying in full and my wife got a 100% merit scholarship from Georgia Tech for hers.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:39 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Late to this, but paying a lot for a name MBA online program doesn't seem like a good ROI. As pointed out by others the value of the prestigious programs is in the recruiting from the program (will online have the same access or process?) or in the networking with fellow students (will UNC's online provide that effectively?). For most C-level positions, they will want it, but they care more about checking the box for the three letters and less about how prestigious it is/was.

While UNC is a fine school with a national alumni population, the network is strongest in NC and I would guess the majority of their recruiting/placement remains in the southeast. Is your friend even in the southeast?

Don't know if this is an Atlanta area thing, but I got my old company to pay for my MBA (UGA). My neighbor got his from Georgia Tech with his company paying in full and my wife got a 100% merit scholarship from Georgia Tech for hers.

I think it is a prestige thing with him, great point with the alumni base.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 am

OK, he is looking at Columbia Executive MBA now. Like I said prestige thing.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Don't know if this is an Atlanta area thing, but I got my old company to pay for my MBA (UGA). My neighbor got his from Georgia Tech with his company paying in full and my wife got a 100% merit scholarship from Georgia Tech for hers.

If you're an employed professional, paying for grad school yourself does not offer great ROI.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:16 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

purely anecdotal here but seems like the number of firms willing to pay for an employee's mba has decreased exponentially over last 10 years
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

purely anecdotal here but seems like the number of firms willing to pay for an employee's mba has decreased exponentially over last 10 years

Probably depends on the size of the company and their commitments to training/continued education/etc. For example, the company I worked for at the time had a continuing ed component to our annual reviews. So it made more sense for me to get an actual degree than just go to some stupid industry seminars. Part of the deal is I had to continue to work for them 12 months after graduation or owed the tuition back on a prorated basis.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I think that is attached to the increasing cost. My company offered to pay if I ever went back for mine and then I told them the Columbia Exec MBA was $150k and I never heard the offer again.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:30 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I think that is attached to the increasing cost. My company offered to pay if I ever went back for mine and then I told them the Columbia Exec MBA was $150k and I never heard the offer again.

My old company was pretty much willing to pay people for whatever continuing ed you wanted. You couldn't get any licenses but they would pay for CFA or MBA. They actually paid for a guy to go full time at Sloan. However, you owed I think 3-4 years following graduation. This option decreased during the time I was there and by the time I left they were really only offering the option to people the talent they wanted to invest in.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:16 am

add another to brian kelly's body count

https://nypost.com/2019/04/12/cierre-wo ... lds-death/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 am

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium