BC vs. Connecticut Gameday - 11/18/2017 at Fenway Park

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC vs. Connecticut Gameday - 11/18/2017 at Fenway Park

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:38 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I don't understand this whole "light schedule" argument for 2018. Sure, OOC is light, but Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Miami and VT. BC can take a giant step forward in 2018 and still go 7-5. That will be arguably the toughest conference schedule any team in the nation plays.

There is no point discussing BC football with anyone who believes this.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 am

That's a pretty good presser, and he would be completely right about the accomplishment of being bowl eligible 4 times in a 5 year rebuild in the toughest conference in America if you didn't take the time to watch every game. He earned a pat on the back but he has to take the next step and recognize, like the rest of us, that he should be beating the peer schools more frequently now that he has his team. Even with the injuries, the depth he has built (and rightly should take credit for) should have led to a win over NCSU. I'll give him a pass on Wake, because Brown and the line hadn't quite clicked yet, but in future years, they have to win that one too.

There were signs this year that he was doing what he needed to do to correct his coaching deficiencies for the first time, in particular trusting Loeffler and his choice at QB, and developing the line. With all of the linemen except the kid from WVU returning, in combination with a terrible OOC schedule filling up 4 of the 5 first weeks and a decent draw in the ACC with Clemson, L'Ville and Miami at home, it's time to take the next step.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That's a pretty good presser, and he would be completely right about the accomplishment of being bowl eligible 4 times in a 5 year rebuild in the toughest conference in America if you didn't take the time to watch every game. He earned a pat on the back but he has to take the next step and recognize, like the rest of us, that he should be beating the peer schools more frequently now that he has his team. Even with the injuries, the depth he has built (and rightly should take credit for) should have led to a win over NCSU. I'll give him a pass on Wake, because Brown and the line hadn't quite clicked yet, but in future years, they have to win that one too.

There were signs this year that he was doing what he needed to do to correct his coaching deficiencies for the first time, in particular trusting Loeffler and his choice at QB, and developing the line. With all of the linemen except the kid from WVU returning, in combination with a terrible OOC schedule filling up 4 of the 5 first weeks and a decent draw in the ACC with Clemson, L'Ville and Miami at home, it's time to take the next step.

It's clear to me that Daz's biggest problem is that he doesn't plan for the worst case scenario. He clearly spent most of the year giving the majority of the snaps to Brown at the expense of Wade (he admitted as much saying "but that's what every team in America does) when he should have given a few more to Wade in the chance Brown was injured (didn't he learn from 2015?). Now, Brown is injured and he's scrambling to get Wade up to speed when he hasn't been getting enough snaps all year. i'm sure come bowl time Wade will be functional and do well but it cost us at least the NC State game and possibly Syracuse (jury remains out here). I just wish he would better plan for things going wrong since this is football and injuries WILL happen.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Irishriviera on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 pm

I think the time to get Wade more snaps was probably last season when the starter was a 5th year. Brown, being a freshman, needed all the experience he could get.

Whether we like it or not, Addazio is going to be back next season. But with the team he's got, there are no more excuses. They need to beat NC State and Wake. When they play Clemson, Miami, FSU and Louisville (assuming Lamar Jackson is back) they need to play them toe to toe and win at least a couple.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Irishriviera {l Wrote}:(assuming Lamar Jackson is back)

Uh, a lot of publications have projected him to be the first QB taken in the draft. He's not coming back.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That's a pretty good presser, and he would be completely right about the accomplishment of being bowl eligible 4 times in a 5 year rebuild in the toughest conference in America if you didn't take the time to watch every game. He earned a pat on the back but he has to take the next step and recognize, like the rest of us, that he should be beating the peer schools more frequently now that he has his team. Even with the injuries, the depth he has built (and rightly should take credit for) should have led to a win over NCSU. I'll give him a pass on Wake, because Brown and the line hadn't quite clicked yet, but in future years, they have to win that one too.

I couldn’t agree more here. This has been his best coaching job so far, but that NCST loss is still a big red flag.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:37 pm

don't know if it was touched on here but anyone notice edsall storm off the field and not shake daz's hand? I didn't but a bunch of people (atl, hoff, etc) were commenting on it
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I couldn’t agree more here. This has been his best coaching job so far, but that NCST loss is still a big red flag.

He has a game like that every year that usually means the difference between 6-7 wins and 8-9 wins. NC State, Colorado State, Penn State, Wake Forest. Every year there is a game you can point directly at and say "We should have won" and it would change the complexion of the season. He needs to start winning those.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He has a game like that every year that usually means the difference between 6-7 wins and 8-9 wins. NC State, Colorado State, Penn State, Wake Forest. Every year there is a game you can point directly at and say "We should have won" and it would change the complexion of the season. He needs to start winning those.

This and he needs to win one of the games that you don't expect them to win. He's really only got a couple of those in five years, and they turned out not to be as good as first believed (not discounting him for that though).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I don't understand this whole "light schedule" argument for 2018. Sure, OOC is light, but Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Miami and VT. BC can take a giant step forward in 2018 and still go 7-5. That will be arguably the toughest conference schedule any team in the nation plays.

If BC thoroughly sweeps NCST, Wake, Syracuse, Purdue, UMass, Temple and Holy Cross and plays tight with but loses to the 5 best teams in the ACC, one could argue that it will still be progress. Louisville and FSU are too talented to stay down. And Richt is onto something in Miami. 5 games that BC will be big underdogs in next year.

7-5 next year is progress.
8-4 next year is impressive progress.
9-3 next year would be special.
10-2 next year...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

If BC thoroughly sweeps NCST, Wake, Syracuse, Purdue, UMass, Temple and Holy Cross and plays tight with but loses to the 5 best teams in the ACC, one could argue that it will still be progress. Louisville and FSU are too talented to stay down. And Richt is onto something in Miami. 5 games that BC will be big underdogs in next year.

10-2 next year...

No
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 10-2 season on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

10-2 next year...

Seriously?!?!?!?!
10-2 season
n00b

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm

10-2 season {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

10-2 next year...

Seriously?!?!?!?!

When was the last time BC swept the games against the rest-of-the-pack? BC hasn't beaten Wake, NCST and Syracuse in the same year since 2014. Before that, the only recent sweeps of the Atlantic Also-Rans was '08 and '09. How long has it been since we've gone a year without a WTF?!

If BC sweeps Purdue, Syracuse, Wake, NCST, UMass, and Temple it counts as progress in my book. Progress. I stand down my 2018 expectations breakdown. You borderline little girls need to grow up.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Irishriviera {l Wrote}:I think the time to get Wade more snaps was probably last season when the starter was a 5th year. Brown, being a freshman, needed all the experience he could get.

Whether we like it or not, Addazio is going to be back next season. But with the team he's got, there are no more excuses. They need to beat NC State and Wake. When they play Clemson, Miami, FSU and Louisville (assuming Lamar Jackson is back) they need to play them toe to toe and win at least a couple.

Daz is terrible about getting back-up QB's any kind of meaningful experience. Terrible. Since day 1. Major flaw.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:05 pm

you can't get away with calling those 5 teams "great teams" and "great losses" next year when 3 of the 5 have had .500 seasons or worse over the course of the last 3 years and one of the other two has been mediocre at best for a decade.

its like when the fraud talks up the FSU win. beating fsu this year =/= fsu from previous seasons (which isn't his fault. and he definitely gets credit for the win. but lets call a spade a spade they are likely going 5-7 this year)

you can't talk up the talent level here and keep giving him breaks for losing 4+ games a year regardless of injuries.

i swear some of his backers act like the only football players in the universe who get injured reside on the boston college campus.

also, for the record if you think hes going 7-0 vs umass, holy cross, @ purdue "were a young football team playing in a hostile environment for the first time. im real proud of the kids.", cuse, @nc state, @wake you are out of your mind.

also, if you are already giving him "7-5 would be progress" in year 6 you are firmly in the we are what we are camp and you can kindly gtfomam
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 pm

They beat FSU, a team full of talent, by 32 points. I understand they had a rough year, but they were projected title contenders before they had to start their version of Troy Flutie at QB. Underselling the impressiveness of that win (a team which even shitty, beat Syracuse) or the L'Ville win (a team that just smoked Cuse by 46) is dumb. Almost as dumb as walrus.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 pm

of course he gets credit for those wins.

that's exactly why there shouldn't be any "automatic losses" next year. nor should we be impressed by losses to them in 2018. if anything, it further solidifies the idea that 7-5 would be a bad year. he went 2-3 vs ND, @clem, VT, @Ville, FSU THIS YEAR with INJURIES. On what planet should we be happy with 0-5 vs the same group, three of which are at home, (insert miami for nd) next year?

on the other side of the coin, if he is able to perform the exact same next year vs those 5 and avoid any stupid losses, it would be hard not to be happy with 9-3 (5-3).

the thing that sucks is that theoretically - there should be no excuses to have under 8 wins next year. in a perfect world he gets the job done and we all have egg on our face. in a not so perfect world, he goes 6-6 / 7-5 and we bring in someone who can win with his talent (jags). in a bad world he goes 6-6/7-5 and then were looking at year 7 having the exact same conversation next year at this time (played everyone but the new england patriots, injuries, my quarterback was coming off an acl injury and will still only be a junior, etc.). im fearful of option 3.
Last edited by commavegarage on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:of course he gets credit for those wins.

that's exactly why there shouldn't be any "automatic losses" next year. nor should we be impressed by losses to them in 2018. if anything, it further solidifies the idea that 7-5 would be a bad year. he went 2-3 vs ND, @clem, VT, @Ville, FSU THIS YEAR with INJURIES. On what planet should we be happy with 0-5 vs the same group, three of which are at home, (insert miami for nd) next year?

on the other side of the coin, if he is able to perform the exact same next year vs those 5 and avoid any stupid losses, it would be hard not to be happy with 9-3 (5-3).

the thing that sucks is that theoretically - there should be no excuses to have under 8 wins next year. in a perfect world he gets the job done and we all have egg on our face. in a not so perfect world, he goes 6-6 / 7-5 and we bring in someone who can win with his talent (jags). in a bad world he goes 6-6/7-5 and then were looking at year 7 having the exact same conversation next year at this time. im fearful of option 3.

That's fair.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:18 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Irishriviera {l Wrote}:(assuming Lamar Jackson is back)

Uh, a lot of publications have projected him to be the first QB taken in the draft. He's not coming back.

Only a team like Cleveland would bank of Jackson playing QB in the NFL. If he sticks, it will be as a receiver.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:52 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

10-2 next year...

This is your problem. Your bar is so low, you should be the Dazzler's press agent. Ridiculously low, and certainly doesn't accommodate any "championships" If they DON'T win those 7 games next year, then Daz proves his mediocrity. With the returning talent, and assuming Brown at QB this is just reasonable expectation; Anything less is a disappointment. Losing to peer programs defines mediocrity,
and Wake, Syracuse, and NC St should not be considered anything more than peer programs at best.

Then you have 5 games in 2018 against Clemson, FSU, Louisville, VT and Miami. If you win one and are competitive in the rest, that is progress. Win two or more in this group, then Addazio can take his victory lap, and take credit for a turnaround (until 2019). And I question whether Louisville shouldn't be considered a toss up without Jackson at QB.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 pm

You know what I hate about the media narrative with FSU and Clemson's recent success and BC's last two coaches is that it is accepted that we start the year with two losses. Let me remind people that the following genius hall of fame coaches beat FSU and Clemson while coaching BC: TOB, Jags, Spaz. A mediocre Syracuse team beat Clemson this year and we crushed FSU. Both programs are in better position to be elite (for a variety of reasons), but neither should be approached as unbeatable. One of the reasons we lost to Clemson was that our coach punted from Clemson territory six times.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Georgia Tech in 2016...
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:55 am

Fenway will be hosting a bowl between ACC & american

nothing says reward like a game in 20 degrees at a stadium with horrible sightlines
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:04 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Fenway will be hosting a bowl between ACC & american

nothing says reward like a game in 20 degrees at a stadium with horrible sightlines

Well... at least we don't have to start a thread wondering what bowl BC will be playing in every year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Fenway will be hosting a bowl between ACC & american

The field conditions in December will also be stellar (and frozen).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby basselope on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Book it.

basselope
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}: also, for the record if you think hes going 7-0 vs umass, holy cross, @ purdue "were a young football team playing in a hostile environment for the first time. im real proud of the kids.", cuse, @nc state, @wake you are out of your mind.

also, if you are already giving him "7-5 would be progress" in year 6 you are firmly in the we are what we are camp and you can kindly gtfomam

Wow. You wonder why I and others can’t be bothered by this program. You can set your watch to him
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu May 02, 2019 6:07 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}: also, for the record if you think hes going 7-0 vs umass, holy cross, @ purdue "were a young football team playing in a hostile environment for the first time. im real proud of the kids.", cuse, @nc state, @wake you are out of your mind.

Wow. You wonder why I and others can’t be bothered by this program. You can set your watch to him

One of the only hopes at this point is that Bajakian is given more freedom because Martin said so. Doubtful, but possible. McShay said BC was "pass-game challenged" when talking about the Tommy Sweeney pick. I'd like to think there is some pressure to adjust the offensive philosophy, but we shall see.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium