Staring Five next year?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Staring Five next year?

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:28 am

Just read the article on Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson. Poorly written but just reminded me that those two are actual good ACC players.

Made me think - who are the other three starters for next year? I really have no idea as I haven't thought about basketball since I took my kid to the Bagley/Barros number retirement.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Re: Staring Five next year?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:25 pm

the article that you read has been discussed in another thread.

the article was offensive to most... meaning that it clearly only focused on the players' offensive prowess and not their inability to defend against ymca 5 year olds. it was also offensive because it was written in a style that terps4lyfe84 would not have even been able to understand; but that's not what i was referring to

to address your main point of question - this will be difficult to answer until we see what other players, transfers and recruits jimmy mac plans to run off before the start of the season. you know, because he's an incompetent boob
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Until we hear otherwise it's Bowman, Robinson, Chatman, Hawkins, Popovic
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:47 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the article that you read has been discussed in another thread.

the article was offensive to most... meaning that it clearly only focused on the players' offensive prowess and not their inability to defend against ymca 5 year olds. it was also offensive because it was written in a style that terps4lyfe84 would not have even been able to understand; but that's not what i was referring to

to address your main point of question - this will be difficult to answer until we see what other players, transfers and recruits jimmy mac plans to run off before the start of the season. you know, because he's an incompetent boob

Yeah, I don't want to really discuss the article other than to note that Bowman and Robinson seem to be the two least-worst players on the team and hopefully will be even better next year.

But to your point, I would have assumed AJ Turner would have been a starter next year but now is gone.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Until we hear otherwise it's Bowman, Robinson, Chatman, Hawkins, Popovic

I would concur here, although I wonder if for defensive purposes they might start Sagay or one of the athletic freshman on the wing instead of 3 and D.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/

Number 51 baby!

And some of you said the MAC's all-time winningest coach couldn't recruit!

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm

So Jon Rothstein apparently visited BC's practice today and predicted a starting 5 of Jerome Robinson, Ky Bowman, Jordan Chatman, Steffon Mitchell, Deontae Hawkins

Very interesting if that's how it plays out. I wonder if Mitchell can shoot 3s

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:So Jon Rothstein apparently visited BC's practice today and predicted a starting 5 of Jerome Robinson, Ky Bowman, Jordan Chatman, Steffon Mitchell, Deontae Hawkins

That lineup would be disastrous from a defense and rebounding perspective in the ACC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:So Jon Rothstein apparently visited BC's practice today and predicted a starting 5 of Jerome Robinson, Ky Bowman, Jordan Chatman, Steffon Mitchell, Deontae Hawkins

That lineup would be disastrous from a defense and rebounding perspective in the ACC

So would any other lineup we put together, perhaps we're simply conceding the point

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

So would any other lineup we put together, perhaps we're simply conceding the point

Not sure I agree with this.

When JC says they're going to play positionless basketball, he really means "Popovic and Reyes haven't improved and I don't trust them"
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

When JC says they're going to play positionless basketball, he really means "Popovic and Reyes haven't improved and I don't trust them"

This. Let's not confuse this douchebag with Brad Stevens. He's playing the best 5 players and sacrificing any semblance of defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. Let's not confuse this douchebag with Brad Stevens. He's playing the best 5 players and sacrificing any semblance of defense.

I have no doubt that lineup would score the ball in bunches. I also have no doubt that lineup would defend no one and give up about 20 offensive rebounds per game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:... give up about 20 offensive rebounds per game.

wouldn't that be an improvement over the last couple years?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:... give up about 20 offensive rebounds per game.

wouldn't that be an improvement over the last couple years?

Nope
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Primetime on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Bad news for us if Popovic/Reyes aren't showing enough to earn PT. But you're an idiot if you think defense/rebounding will be worse than last year.

Hawkins/Mitchell should be a massive upgrade over Tava/Jeffers in every phase of the game. Defenses will have to respect Hawkins out to the 3-point line, which opens up the paint for Bowman to get to the rim. Mitchell went 1-3 on 3PT shooting in the Bahamas and he led the team in rebounding, so think he'll stick to the post. Tava and Jeffers were clumsy and inept scorers (and rebounders) by comparison.

On defense - were Tava/Jeffers really stopping anybody? I don't think Hawkins/Mitchell will be worse. Also, we get Popovic/Reyes back a year older and stronger - and even if they aren't in the starting lineup, they have 10 fouls a game to do some damage on the other team's big men.

:screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:41 pm

So 2 conference wins this year then ?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:So 2 conference wins this year then ?

I need to see Hawkins and Mitchell play before I can even take a stab at a record prediction.

I've also heard Chatman improved this off-season (maybe not skill wise but is more comfortable with the game after his long layoff for the mission).

ND found a way not to get killed on the boards and on D with what BC is trying to do here, but I have no faith that BC can execute this strategy successfully.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Lucky if we get 4 ACC wins. Can we manage a .500 record and get 1 ACC tournament win? That means NIT, at least.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 pm

I actually thought Popovic showed a lot of promise for a freshman. What concerns me is this starting lineup means Popovic probably hasn't improved all that much. Chatman is a pure shooter that gets killed inside and can't defend. Unless that's changed I'd think it would be Robinson, Bowman, Mitchell, Hawkins, and Popovic which I would think would give even ACC teams matchup problems.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:Bad news for us if Popovic/Reyes aren't showing enough to earn PT. But you're an idiot if you think defense/rebounding will be worse than last year.

Hawkins/Mitchell should be a massive upgrade over Tava/Jeffers in every phase of the game. Defenses will have to respect Hawkins out to the 3-point line, which opens up the paint for Bowman to get to the rim. Mitchell went 1-3 on 3PT shooting in the Bahamas and he led the team in rebounding, so think he'll stick to the post. Tava and Jeffers were clumsy and inept scorers (and rebounders) by comparison.

On defense - were Tava/Jeffers really stopping anybody? I don't think Hawkins/Mitchell will be worse. Also, we get Popovic/Reyes back a year older and stronger - and even if they aren't in the starting lineup, they have 10 fouls a game to do some damage on the other team's big men.

:screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:39 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I need to see Hawkins and Mitchell play before I can even take a stab at a record prediction.

I've also heard Chatman improved this off-season (maybe not skill wise but is more comfortable with the game after his long layoff for the mission).

ND found a way not to get killed on the boards and on D with what BC is trying to do here, but I have no faith that BC can execute this strategy successfully.

I was being hyperbolic and rhetorical
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:05 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Microdick doesn't recognize his own stuff
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No red font
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Jimmy Mac was a featured guest at Addazio's weekly catsup hour and he was talking up Hawkins and Mitchell

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:10 pm

JC Reyes got better? Would be nice. Seemed rail thin last season.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Return to Conte Forum