Coaches Leaving/Transfer/5th Year Thread 2017

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaches Leaving/Transfer/5th Year Thread 2017

Postby jbrooks58 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:48 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Sounds like Hawkins isn't coming here, but I actually think BC would be a good landing spot if he's any good. BC would certainly give him a shot to prove himself as he'd get plenty of minutes.

This team is mostly lacking good forwards. BC's performance would drastically improve with a couple good forwards. Hawkins would be playing with two of the better guards in the ACC. Pop is at least serviceable as our starting center. If Hawkins is an ACC-caliber starting forward (huge if), BC could complete with virtually everybody and I'd expect at a minimum we'd play in the NIT.

You should put down whatever you are smoking.

As long as defense is still part of basketball these two guards will continue to be horribly over-rated.

Sometimes you say some really stupid stuff. This is one of those times.
jbrooks58
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:03 am

jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Sounds like Hawkins isn't coming here, but I actually think BC would be a good landing spot if he's any good. BC would certainly give him a shot to prove himself as he'd get plenty of minutes.

This team is mostly lacking good forwards. BC's performance would drastically improve with a couple good forwards. Hawkins would be playing with two of the better guards in the ACC. Pop is at least serviceable as our starting center. If Hawkins is an ACC-caliber starting forward (huge if), BC could complete with virtually everybody and I'd expect at a minimum we'd play in the NIT.

As long as defense is still part of basketball these two guards will continue to be horribly over-rated.

Yes he does, but this is not one of those times.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 am

jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They're terrific on offense. On defense, watch as their man blows past them possession after possession. Robinson is more guilty of this.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:30 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They're terrific on offense. On defense, watch as their man blows past them possession after possession. Robinson is more guilty of this.

Wait... basketball has a defensive component to it?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:42 am

you've been spending too much time in the nba thread
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, well the troglodyte who penned this ode to perspicacity seems to disagree with you

https://californiapreps.rivals.com/news ... asketball-
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:52 am

holy shit, i think trying to read that may have actually made me retarded
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:47 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, well the troglodyte who penned this ode to perspicacity seems to disagree with you

https://californiapreps.rivals.com/news ... asketball-

Robinson basically admits in that article he didn't attempt to play defense before this year.

If these two want to play complete basketball and Hawkins stays they could do some damage.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Robinson basically admits in that article he didn't attempt to play defense before this year.

You're asking the word "basically" to work very, very hard in this sentence.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Robinson basically admits in that article he didn't attempt to play defense before this year.

I don't know haw anyone could find anything in that article.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm asking it to work harder than our guards do at defense, so yes.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 pm

@JonRothstein

Illinois State grad transfer Deontae Hawkins tells me he will visit both New Mexico and Gonzaga. Immediately eligible.

He gone.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
@JonRothstein

Illinois State grad transfer Deontae Hawkins tells me he will visit both New Mexico and Gonzaga. Immediately eligible.

He gone.

What exactly happened here?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm

This is a very BC thing.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 pm

i hope we can get a gumshoe on this one so we can know what didn't happen.

where is mrs. glacier (longdistanceeagle) when you need him? probably getting that resume updated and buying a fruit basket for all the mac ad's
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 pm

I find it difficult to give a shit
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I find it difficult to give a shit

maybe i've been wrong all along and YOU are really jimmy mac. you seem to have the same attitude about the program
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
@JonRothstein

He gone.

What exactly happened here?

This is an odd one, but the general consensus is that he got cold feet after arriving on campus.

Mind you that I don't have any direct knowledge of the situation, but it's not hard to see where the reality of the current situation at BC wouldn't jive with what was being sold during the recruiting process. If he got some after the fact interest from a school like Gonzaga, who is suddenly in need of bigs (they did not expect Collins to leave), I could see where it would give him some second thoughts.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Where is this "general consensus" coming from? Does anyone have evidence he ever got to campus or did anything with the team with the exception of the day he visited/committed? Does someone know something on TOS or is this pure speculation?

The impression I get is that he made the decision more or less on his own to come to BC, and then some person or persons heard about it, got in his ear and now he doesn't know what he wants to do anymore

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Hawkins recommitted per Jon rothstein
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Hawkins recommitted per Jon rothstein

The odds of JC coaching next year's squad have increased from 5% to maybe 15% the last few days.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Can't wait for him to quit halfway through the season.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The odds of JC coaching next year's squad have increased from 5% to maybe 15% the last few days.

I think the percentage is higher than that

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:58 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What changed from last year to this year? Hawkins is worth a win or two in the ACC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby JimDog90 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:04 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What changed from last year to this year? Hawkins is worth a win or two in the ACC.

Bowman and Robinson coming back is not a "change" per se for the roster...but I think we can anticipate that Bowman will show more consistency his sophomore season (like Robinson did last year). Remember last year Ky wasn't even a full-time starter at the beginning of the season and had a pretty big learning curve to work through. The two back together with the experience of last year should improve the team in and of itself. In terms of the rest of the roster, Hawkins replacing Turner- I think all would agree a substantial upgrade; the combo of both those factors maybe only results in a few more ACC wins, how about three instead of 1 or 2?...what the team REALLY needs to do is come out of the gate and take care of business pre-conference. How about something like 10-3 by the end of December (I think they are playing Duke early, I am not factoring that L in) instead of last year's 7-6? Then if they can manage something like a 5-11 ACC record (vs. the 2-16 of last year), we're looking at .500 and they would definitely get a sniff for the post-season, maybe even the NIT. That would give Christian a fighting chance to save his job.
JimDog90
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 am

Understated as well was Chatman's improvement as the season went on. Last year we were 173 in Kenpom, this year I think we improve to just inside 100 (which is a substantial difference)

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am

JimDog90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Bowman and Robinson coming back is not a "change" per se for the roster...but I think we can anticipate that Bowman will show more consistency his sophomore season (like Robinson did last year). Remember last year Ky wasn't even a full-time starter at the beginning of the season and had a pretty big learning curve to work through. The two back together with the experience of last year should improve the team in and of itself. In terms of the rest of the roster, Hawkins replacing Turner- I think all would agree a substantial upgrade; the combo of both those factors maybe only results in a few more ACC wins, how about three instead of 1 or 2?...what the team REALLY needs to do is come out of the gate and take care of business pre-conference. How about something like 10-3 by the end of December (I think they are playing Duke early, I am not factoring that L in) instead of last year's 7-6? Then if they can manage something like a 5-11 ACC record (vs. the 2-16 of last year), we're looking at .500 and they would definitely get a sniff for the post-season, maybe even the NIT. That would give Christian a fighting chance to save his job.

Until I see some evidence of this team having any interest in defense, specifically our two guards, this team will continue to be terrible. There's plenty of offensive firepower, but they show no interest in defense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:37 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Understated as well was Chatman's improvement as the season went on. Last year we were 173 in Kenpom, this year I think we improve to just inside 100 (which is a substantial difference)

I feel like Chatman is and was an inconsistent shooter (the numbers shake out fine but he's really inconsistent from game to game), who isn't fast enough to stay in front of guards and is very athletically limited (I'm not convinced he can dunk).

He's fine as a bench piece, but as always with BC Basketball, he plays 35 minutes instead of 10-15.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby JimDog90 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Understated as well was Chatman's improvement as the season went on. Last year we were 173 in Kenpom, this year I think we improve to just inside 100 (which is a substantial difference)

I feel like Chatman is and was an inconsistent shooter (the numbers shake out fine but he's really inconsistent from game to game), who isn't fast enough to stay in front of guards and is very athletically limited (I'm not convinced he can dunk).

He's fine as a bench piece, but as always with BC Basketball, he plays 35 minutes instead of 10-15.

I agree on both points, but would like to defend Chapman a bit.

My somewhat reasonable (I hope) increased wins projection and Christian's chances to save his job are dependent on this team developing some kind of defensive identity. Defense is all the chatter if you follow any of the team's comments/interviews since their summer practices started. I think the guards have to back up their talk and commit to D, and at least one of the more athletic players (besides Bowman) has to work his way into the rotation (Sagay? Wilson?) for that to work.

It is true that Chapman was one of four players on last year's squad to average between 25-35 minutes a game, along with the guard duo and Turner. This emphasizes the point I suggested earlier that replacing Turner (big offensive disappointment) with Hawkins (proven scorer) is pivotal. Chapman has his limitations and is much better suited as the 4th (or lower) option on the team. Also, he took two years off, so here's hoping he will show a little more consistency this year; having a more reasonable roll on the team would definitely help because he won't have to force his offense as much.
JimDog90
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm

If they add enough offense to be able to score enough to win games, they will play more defense because it will mean something.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum