2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:This is the first time in a long time that I don't feel like I've been punched in the gut by a BC hire.

Agreed. The past 10 years have felt like a continual Debbie Downer skit.

I'd have said early Mr. Bill skits, but yeah, point taken.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm

At the risk of being the wet blanket...

On the surface this is obviously a great hire, but BC's issues run a lot deeper than who the coaches are and even who the AD is. Until there's a demonstrated top down renewed commitment to athletics, this hire is nothing but a PR win for the school.

I'll wait and see what kind of restrictions are placed on him with regards to hiring coaches when it comes up next year before getting excited about this. We'll be definitely looking for a new hoops coach and possibly one for football as well, so we'll know whether this is just for show or not pretty quick.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Excellent hire. Still a lot of work to do, but we had to start somewhere.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:28 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I like this hire a lot. I can't wait for the ATLs of the world to explain to me why I should hate it.

It is a roll of the dice. He has a ton of potential but is about to face a very unique and broken culture and a quirky boss. I hope he can pull it off. He can't be worse than Bates.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Interesting tidbit is that tOSU has 36 Division I varsity sports. This counters the frequent argument that BC'S 31 is some large number/outlier.

p.s. I am not suggesting adding sports.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:05 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I like this hire a lot. I can't wait for the ATLs of the world to explain to me why I should hate it.

It is a roll of the dice. He has a ton of potential but is about to face a very unique and broken culture and a quirky boss. I hope he can pull it off. He can't be worse than Bates.

Yeah, but everyone's a roll of the dice pretty much. Mike Milbury should've been a slam dunk for hockey in the 90s, and he flaked out.

I guess he looks good in contrast to some of the names floated - Mike Dee especially. Jarmond looks like what we should be focusing on - a person with a big FBS football experience. Plus he's not like Bates, which is another plus.

On the other hand, do you think he ever dealt with neighbor complaints about noise/traffic/sheer existence in Columbus?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Interesting tidbit is that tOSU has 36 Division I varsity sports. This counters the frequent argument that BC'S 31 is some large number/outlier.

No it does not, not in the least bit. I have no idea what 'logic' you are using here to make your point? Are you saying because tOSU has more varsity sports than bc that this in turn then means that BC doesn't offer more sports teams than other D1 programs? If so, that's embarrassing, embarrassing but not surprising.

Also, the average D1 school offers 19 sports teams
https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... %20WEB.pdf

An average across 346 schools is statistically strong maybe but I'm more interested on an average across top-25 US News & World Report academic schools or maybe top 50. I bet the average is MUCH higher against academic peers.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

No it does not, not in the least bit. I have no idea what 'logic' you are using here to make your point? Are you saying because tOSU has more varsity sports than bc that this in turn then means that BC doesn't offer more sports teams than other D1 programs? If so, that's embarrassing, embarrassing but not surprising.

If anything they should cut varsity sports to about 20 (10 mens/10 womens) and let the rest be club sports. Concentrate efforts and resources on programs that bring revenue, at some even small level, and marketing to the school. Things like skiing, as much as I like to ski and enjoy it at the olympics, should not be a varsity sport at a place like BC. Just for kicks I would field the following:
Football (M); Soccer(M/W) Basketball (M/W) hockey (M/W) volleyball (W); baseball(M);Softball (W); Lax (M/W); crew(W); field hockey(W); golf(M/W); track & field (M/W) and cross country (M/W). That's about it. The rest would be club unless you needed something like women's swimming for Title IX purposes. This list could obviously be adjusted but something like that is more manageable. I would put $$ into intramurals and club sports. More students involved and costs go way down. A school like BC needs as much money to stay in their revenue sports as possible. They have limited facilities, limited revenue streams and the cost of big time sports just gets larger every year. I hope he looks at the varsity sports program and does a deep feasibility dive.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 pm

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:If anything they should cut varsity sports to about 20 (10 mens/10 womens) and let the rest be club sports.

With 85 schollies for football, you need almost double the number of women's sports. Although crew helps if you can afford to put a bunch of women on scholarship for a non-revenue sport. That's a lot of 60,000 outlays for the school to come up with, after all.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Before the press release went out, this was sent...

Dear HJS,

I am incredibly excited to write to you today as the William V. Campbell Director of Athletics at Boston College. My family and I are thrilled to be joining such a strong community with a rich athletics tradition. The BC community’s passion for our student-athletes has been very apparent to me in my short time on the Heights and is evidenced by the loyal support of our Flynn Fund donors.

In the weeks, months, and years ahead, this passion will be a critical fuel for the success of our student-athletes, both on the field and in the classroom, helping us to adhere to the University’s Jesuit values and to realize its motto of Ever to Excel.

I am tremendously grateful for all that you have already done to support BC Athletics, and I want to thank you in advance for your ongoing commitment to our success. I look forward to our conversations as we partner to define the vision for Boston College Athletics.

I came to Boston College because I believe that we can win. With your help, I look forward to doing just that.

Go Eagles,

Martin Jarmond
William V. Campbell Director of Athletics
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Yeah, I thought it was spam when I saw I had an email from William V. Campbell.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:57 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Yeah, I thought it was spam when I saw I had an email from William V. Campbell.

so did gmail
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:At the risk of being the wet blanket...

On the surface this is obviously a great hire, but BC's issues run a lot deeper than who the coaches are and even who the AD is. Until there's a demonstrated top down renewed commitment to athletics, this hire is nothing but a PR win for the school.

I'll wait and see what kind of restrictions are placed on him with regards to hiring coaches when it comes up next year before getting excited about this. We'll be definitely looking for a new hoops coach and possibly one for football as well, so we'll know whether this is just for show or not pretty quick.

The one thing to be said in rebuttal is that this guy is young and a riser in the AD world. I expect he had some prep going in on what the skinny was on BC; Likewise, with his experience, I 'm sure he is not lacking for mentors' counsel; I doubt he would be taking this step blindly, or will not hang around if this proves to be a molasses pit.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't think this is that difficult for a motivated guy that knows what is important.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Could their be any clearer indication that the ascendancy of FHCRD is upon us?!
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Could their be any clearer indication that the ascendancy of FHCRD is upon us?!

I think it is the opposite. Jarmond and Addazio are part of the Urban Meyer network. I fear that Jarmond is going to give Addazio more time if Year 5 is a struggle.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 pm

not that he can't do both at the same time, but jimmy mac is a far bigger problem than the heinz hammer. we all know last year's record was smoke and mirrors but at least we're competitive w the middle / bottom of the league.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby westcoastbernie on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Mike Vrabel.....nexcxt HC of BC
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:not that he can't do both at the same time, but jimmy mac is a far bigger problem than the heinz hammer. we all know last year's record was smoke and mirrors but at least we're competitive w the middle / bottom of the league.

It's the above.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 pm

The Heinz Hammer is all set if he wins six or seven games which I fully expect him to do
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Heinz Hammer is all set if he wins six or seven games which I fully expect him to do

Woah woah woah. Let's be realistic with expectations. This is a young team.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Could their be any clearer indication that the ascendancy of FHCRD is upon us?!

I think it is the opposite. Jarmond and Addazio are part of the Urban Meyer network. I fear that Jarmond is going to give Addazio more time if Year 5 is a struggle.

My hope:he is 37 and wants to make a name for himself. Sticking with a HC with a 7 win ceiling won't help with his career.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

My hope:he is 37 and wants to make a name for himself. Sticking with a HC with a 7 win ceiling won't help with his career.

He's making a BB hire in Year 1. If Daz gets to a Bowl Game, it'll be one less thing he'll have to worry about.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Even another shit 6-6 bowl? He'll be canned with a repeat of last year.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Even another shit 6-6 bowl? He'll be canned with a repeat of last year.

If Leahy is still here, Iwnh.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Heinz Hammer is all set if he wins six or seven games which I fully expect him to do

It's this.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 pm

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

If anything they should cut varsity sports to about 20 (10 mens/10 womens) and let the rest be club sports. Concentrate efforts and resources on programs that bring revenue, at some even small level, and marketing to the school. Things like skiing, as much as I like to ski and enjoy it at the olympics, should not be a varsity sport at a place like BC. Just for kicks I would field the following:
Football (M); Soccer(M/W) Basketball (M/W) hockey (M/W) volleyball (W); baseball(M);Softball (W); Lax (M/W); crew(W); field hockey(W); golf(M/W); track & field (M/W) and cross country (M/W). That's about it. The rest would be club unless you needed something like women's swimming for Title IX purposes. This list could obviously be adjusted but something like that is more manageable. I would put $$ into intramurals and club sports. More students involved and costs go way down. A school like BC needs as much money to stay in their revenue sports as possible. They have limited facilities, limited revenue streams and the cost of big time sports just gets larger every year. I hope he looks at the varsity sports program and does a deep feasibility dive.

If BC cuts sports, then that accounting "money" will just be used for something other than athletics. You all are crazy if you think otherwise. If you really want more money for BC revenue sports, then you all need to stop throwing nickels like manhole covers when it comes to the Flynn Fund.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:53 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Keeping Daz would be awful, second only to hiring FHCRD. Let's hope Martin is smart enough to avoid those two potential obvious mistakes.

Rooting for the team to lose so that Daz is canned is even more fucktarded. You and your band of merry idiots can all GDIAF. Get the fuck out of my alma mater!

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Is this Jarmond guy finally going to upgrade mens quidditch to a varsity sport?
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 pm

I assumed Schiano would be on his way to the HUB.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium