2017 Spring Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Spring Football

Postby westcoastbernie on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 pm

This is Daz's year to prove himself. He was talking all along about a 5 year rebuild. Well, it's year 5 and his record against FBS opponents is 18-27 (.400 winning pct) and against the P5 he is 13-25 (.342 winning pct) with 1 bowl win in three tries and 1 win against a ranked opponent. This year's schedule is against P5 programs( 9 games) and G5 programs(2 v MAC and UConn). This is all on him and he is at a point that he should at least go 4-4 in conference and 3-1 out of conference. That would put him at 7-5. His average yearly W/L record in 4 years at BC is 6-7 (rounding) and that includes the likes of Wagner and Howard. The guy is what he is, a very, very, average coach who is also a very, very average recruiter, despite the fuss and bluster. To think in year 5 of a program that a 7-5 record and a trip to the Sun Bowl against a 4th place Pac -12 program (say Wash State, Oregon State or that level) is the high water mark of your program is pretty sad. To me he is on a one year deal, renewable every year, from this point out.

With the new AD coming in and his contract good through 2020, I think he is safe at 7-5 for 2017. But in 2018 he has Purdue, Temple, Holy Cross and Temple as OOC opponents and Miami is he ACC wildcard opponent that year. He probably doesn't get past '18 without a bowl appearance. The big question is what do you do if the "Dude" goes 8-4 this year and 7-5 in '18 (which to me is the best you will ever get with him running the program, IPF or not)? Do you extend him 2 years at that point? That will be a big decision for the new AD to deal with, the longer he keeps Daz around.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 pm

I think Daz's contract is now manageable, so he is in a "prove it" situation each year from here on out. He stays with a bowl game... he's gone without. He'll need 9+ wins to be extended.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think Daz's contract is now manageable, so he is in a "prove it" situation each year from here on out. He stays with a bowl game... he's gone without. He'll need 9+ wins to be extended.

If Leahy is still around, he can probably survive missing one bowl appearance assuming no arrests, scandals, etc.
Not two though.

Honestly, unlike most of the dickwads on the site who would endure a shit season or two to see Daz go, I hope he puts it together and we go on a run of sustained success. I can't take anymore of this 6-6 or 7-5 bullshit where we are lucky to make a bowl game. It's disheartening and I'm sick of enduring it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Spring game on the ESPN app this year according to HockeyRuption.

Scott Mutryn and Pete Cronan will have the call on ACC Network Extra.

Is Mutryn a permanent replacement? Nobody could be worse than Meter!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:20 am

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... dules-2017

Athlon says eagles schedule is 6th toughest in ACC. Given last year's walk in the park and the resulting struggles, one has to wonder if a bowl game in 2017 is realistic, and as a result, whether we shouldn't start a heading coaching speculation thread.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 am

At least our SOS can't keep us out of the CFP!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:At least our SOS can't keep us out of the CFP!

See... you have it in you. That was an excellent post.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:25 am

Globe:
For a while, it felt like E.J. Perry was hopscotching between two worlds. In theory, he was still a high schooler. And he was diving head first into college, arriving at Boston College in January as a grayshirt to get a jump on his freshman season.

One day, he’d have to be at The Heights for orientation. The next, he was back at Andover High School for finals. The day after that he was back on campus at BC for his first class.

“It was quick,” he said. “It was no break in between.”

At the same time, Perry was trying to get himself as ready as possible for the next step. Not only as the quarterback recruited by the Eagles with high expectations after amassing the second-most touchdown passes in Massachusetts high school history (114) and being named the Globe’s Division 1 Player of the Year, but also as a 17-year-old trying to make the adjustment to college as quickly as possible.

His home wasn’t far from campus, so he made time to do some test runs. He came to The Heights one weekend, class schedule in hand, and walked to each one to make sure he knew where he was going.

Being prepared was important.

“Confidence comes from preparation, is how I like to think about it,” Perry said. “You’re never going to be confident if you don’t know what you’re doing.”

But that preparation is also a part of Perry’s DNA.

From the time he was a toddler, he was surrounded by family who spent their lives putting X’s and O’s together.

He watched the work his father, E.J. Perry III, put in to win numerous state titles in boys’ basketball and boys’ volleyball [in Salem, N.H.], while also leading Andover High’s football program. Perry’s grandfather and great-grandfather were both coaches. His uncle Tim was a standout quarterback at Harvard. His uncle James starred at quarterback at Brown, then spent seven years as Princeton’s offensive coordinator before becoming Bryant’s head coach in January. His uncle John was a four-year starter at receiver at New Hampshire before starting his coaching career at Merrimack, then on to Delaware, and now in the NFL as tight ends coach for the Houston Texans.

“Growing up in a family where he’s seeing his dad, how hard he worked preparing a game plan, whether it was me when I was in town, how things go, I think you get a different perspective,” John Perry said. “I think that’s what’s added to the maturity level that little E.J. has because his approach has always been from that perspective. He knows that if he wants to be as good as he wants to be, he’s going to have to put a lot of work into it.”

Perry was born into a family with a strong football legacy, but he never shied away from carrying it. When his father and uncles would joke, the way siblings do, about their accomplishments, E.J. would chime in.

Throughout high school, his family’s name preceded him. The generation before him was a point of comparison, a measuring stick.

“He heard things,” Perry’s father said. “ ‘Is he as good as this one or that one?’ ”

During basketball season, E.J. would see his uncle Tim’s name on the 1,000-point scorers list in the gym. He told him he would be up there too, eventually.

“He did get his 1,000 points, but Timmy would still say, well, he’s ahead of him,” Perry’s father said. “Then E.J. would say, ‘Well, I only played 3½ years.’ It’s a fun rivalry.”

But in a way, E.J. has always had his own coaching staff around him. His father was always the steady voice.

“There was never really a separation between coach-dad and dad-dad,” Perry said. “He’s him 100 percent of the time. It was incredibly valuable, and our relationship is unbelievable because of it, and it’s something I wouldn’t be able to live without.”

But Perry’s uncles were like coaches in the booth, spotting details from above. When he was at Merrimack, John would watch E.J’s game tape and find little things to refine. It could’ve been something as simple as keeping his foot behind his hips to get more power behind his throw, but it was valuable.

“He got to see it,” John said. “It adds to his maturity level, he’s been able to see things from a perspective of, ‘I’m not your coach on a daily basis, so what are you seeing and here’s how I would see it if I were you.’ So it’s that outsider’s voice. It’s not your father, it’s not your coach, it’s not the guy that you’re talking to a thousand times a day. So sometimes that stuff helps.

“I would tell E.J. all the time when he would come through in the summertime: The technique is no different than what anybody taught him when he was in the sixth grade. You just have to refine it and refine it and refine it. Just keep getting better and better.”

When John was hired by the Texans three years ago, it opened a new window for E.J. He took trips to Houston and not only got a close-up view of an NFL organization but a deep look at the meticulous work that goes into being successful at that level.

“Going out there was just so influential,” Perry’s father said. “To see him coach and literally be 5 feet from the sidelines when John was coaching and see all the particulars that you don’t get from me as a high school guy, I’m more big picture. John would just tell him stories about all the guys he meets. Like, ‘EJ, you don’t understand, this guy has a better arm than this guy, but this guy is in the film room for this many hours, and that’s why this guy plays, and that guy doesn’t. In the NFL, these are the little differences.’ ”

Knowing that has already prepared E.J. for the college level.

“When I got here, it was a complete shell shock,” he said. “Every single one of these guys is from a completely different part of the country, playing big-time football since they were also 9 years old, and they’re all really talented guys. So it’s just fun and cool to see this accumulation of talent.”

It’s the reason Perry is in the gym early for workouts. It’s the reason he watches patiently but intently as Darius Wade and Anthony Brown compete for the Eagles’ starting quarterback job in spring practice. To pick things up as quickly as possible.

“Just the other day, he said, ‘Dad, you did a good job, but coach [Scott] Loeffler taught me more in one practice than you taught me in four years,’ ” Perry’s father joked. “So that was a little humbling for me.”

But the token of advice Perry did get from his father before he took the next step is a lasting one.

“Always be willing to learn, always be willing to work,” his father told him. “You’re going to work hard, you’re going to be prepared. But the things I would talk about would be leadership. Leadership is more than talking, it’s more than rah-rah. You are setting an example with everything you do. So when you walk on that field, you set the example.”
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:35 am

Uncle Tim is a litigator downtown. He was a good quarterback. Didn't realize they were related
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:48 pm

So, is anyone going to the Spring Game?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:50 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:So, is anyone going to the Spring Game?

yup
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Yes
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:wish it was going to be about 20 degrees warmer, but yes.

Dammit, now i wish i was going. i would have fought you behind the ground round. :boxer
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:16 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:wish it was going to be about 20 degrees warmer, but yes.

Dammit, now i wish i was going. i would have fought you behind the ground round. :boxer

Good idea! Drinks are on me pre&post-game at the Ground Round :tophat
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yes

EO party at the spring game!

I will be there
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I will be there

Leave your wife home

Fixed
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:46 am

kudos to bc (well really the acc) for getting this on espn3, nice alternative from someone filming with their iphone
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:34 am

Beautiful day for football
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:24 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Beautiful day for football

It's kind of gross out
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:32 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I will be showering with the team.

Leave your wife home

Fixed

Double fixed
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:24 am

Nolan Borgersen is going to be a big boost for this offense.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:29 am

I watched a bunch of series with Wade and still come back wanting.

I saw one series of Brown. Not saying he's ready... but he could potentially be the answer for the future. Also, love the potential of 35. Is that Levy?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:36 am

Wade is clearly more prepared at this point.

The line has a few injuries right now so tough to judge the running game. Baker definitely is not playing right now. Also we have that 5th year WVU transfer who isn't on the spring roster either.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 pm

How has Hilliman looked? Are any of his runs similar to some of his really good ones from the bowl game?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Brown has the better arm but he's wildly inaccurate. Levy is 35 and he can run. Thought they looked good with Wade and the first team O
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:11 pm

I think it's safe to say that Wade is the better QB right now, which means that Brown will start.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Wade looked good and the offense really should have the pieces in place to be as effective as any Daz offense we've seen so far. Just need the OL to get healthy and keep Wade from breaking an ankle.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Kobay White and Glines were impressive in addition to Levy and Borgerson
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:45 pm

They no huddled from time to time today. Don't think bowl game was a fluke.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:33 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:The line has a few injuries right now so tough to judge the running game. Baker definitely is not playing right now. Also we have that 5th year WVU transfer who isn't on the spring roster either.

Baker, Johnson, Schmal and Fish were out.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium