Bates to resign in June

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to resign in June

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:21 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:One of the best parts of this site is how people argue when their fantasy of what Leahy is "really" like disagrees slightly with other peoples' fantasy of what Leahy is "really" like.

He is been in power for 20 years. Yet, most don't have a clue about Leahy because they never interacted with him... opening for this forum to be the source of opinion.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I have heard it is essentially down to two. One has been mentioned here, one has not. The woman that was/is being considered has fallen behind due to lack of real fundraising experience.

none of this is based in any reality, bus driver
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I have heard it is essentially down to two. One has been mentioned here, one has not. The woman that was/is being considered has fallen behind due to lack of real fundraising experience.

none of this is based in any reality, bus driver

I know, but I can come back after the AD is hired and claim that I was in the know the whole time. I'm pretty sure how this game works. I've essentially kept everyone in play: the already named candidates, the unnamed candidates, and women. It seems like I've taken women out of the mix, but if a woman is named AD, I can claim that she wasn't the one that I've eliminated above and that she was a late comer to the process. Don't tell anybody this. LOLZ

PM sent to TobaccoRoadEagle on April 7, 2017 at 9:56am
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 am

How I wish you weren't just making it up as you typed. In fairness to folks who may have read that and started to freakout, I got those names over 6-weeks ago and haven't heard a thing (regarding candidate names) since. All 3 were assistants at BCS programs (though I don't believe any were actually the 2nd in command within their current department). Further, subsequent to that, (when I was told that the hire would likely be announced in April) I was told some of the criteria they were focusing on. Honestly, the 3 names initially given didn't tick many of those boxes. But, when it comes to BC athletics, I have learned that somehow it is always worse than Chris Crane.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 am

My sources say that if BC coughs up the cash, Jay Wright will be the new AD
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I have referenced that as often as I have the good father's penchant for buggery. I was told of 3 candidates (none who have been mentioned here or in the press). They all are massively underwhelming. The favorite seemed to be a female Compliance Officer. The chick part didn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of any meaningful hiring or fundraising experience. Essentially... Bill somehow found a candidate less qualified than buttcut. Accordingly (given Leahy's desire to permanently Geoghan BC athletics (and the BOT's tacit approval of the same), I am giving the rumored name more credencence than I otherwise would.

Lynn Holleran?
Former BC compliance officer and current Senior Associate AD at Pedd State?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:52 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Lynn Holleran?
Former BC compliance officer and current Senior Associate AD at Pedd State?

Holleran is supremely more qualified than the name I was given. Pretty much all 3 were in the you-have-got-to-be-shitting-me category.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 am

They need a salesman that can sell tickets and raise money, not a compliance officer.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:They need a salesman that can sell tickets and raise money, not a compliance officer.

They simply need someone who can make competent coaching hires (which may essentially be finding ways to trick Leahy into hiring competent coaches). The outcomes of the BB and FB hiring/firing process will be 90% related to the next AD's success. I agree that a career-Compliance Officer is unlikely to be successful in that space. I also agree that someone who has an element of salesmanship would be helpful. But, not as it relates to tickets... more as it relates to engendering confidence in a defeated fan base. That said... an actual "salesman" is the opposite of what we need as salesmen are generally idiots who failed at marketing but excel at butt-licking. The last thing a salesman is atuned at doing is making consequential decisions. In short, Bates is the epitome of what it's like to hire a salesman.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:54 pm

No idea if there is any truth to it but someone on EA is saying the Memphis AD is the current favorite. Went to ND as an undergrad and thought about becoming a priest so there's at least some logic to it.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:16 pm

A compliance officer is the last thing we need. We aren't good enough to get in trouble.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 pm

A salesman from my perspective is someone who is good working with and attracting customers. An outgoing personality, someone who is always greeting the customers and is out and visible in public promoting BC. Picking coaches is the most important and difficult part of the job and it is usually 50/50 chance that you get the right coach especially in football. I don't want any AD making those decisions by themselves.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:54 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:No idea if there is any truth to it but someone on EA is saying the Memphis AD is the current favorite. Went to ND as an undergrad and thought about becoming a priest so there's at least some logic to it.

I haven't heard the name, but my initial reaction would be one of pleasant surprise. Has decent experience dealing with sought-after coaches and hiring his own. He hired Mik MacIntyre when he was at San Jose State. Arrived at Memphis before Fuentes coached his first game. When he went to VT, Bowen replaced him with a well-regarded up-and-comer in Mike Norvell. In BB he inherited Pastner and recently replaced him with Tubby Smith. However, at San Jose, he hired a buddy from De La Salle (who followed him to Cal). Needless to say, George Nessman was not a success. However, one of the best reasons to support Bowen as a potential hire is to see the reaction from AngryDick to see if his love of Notre Dame is greater than his hatred of Dick Tomey.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:No idea if there is any truth to it but someone on EA is saying the Memphis AD is the current favorite. Went to ND as an undergrad and thought about becoming a priest so there's at least some logic to it.

I haven't heard the name, but my initial reaction would be one of pleasant surprise. Has decent experience dealing with sought-after coaches and hiring his own. He hired Mik MacIntyre when he was at San Jose State. Arrived at Memphis before Fuentes coached his first game. When he went to VT, Bowen replaced him with a well-regarded up-and-comer in Mike Norvell. In BB he inherited Pastner and recently replaced him with Tubby Smith. However, at San Jose, he hired a buddy from De La Salle (who followed him to Cal). Needless to say, George Nessman was not a success. However, one of the best reasons to support Bowen as a potential hire is to see the reaction from AngryDick to see if his love of Notre Dame is greater than his hatred of Dick Tomey.

The experience is right anyhow
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:24 pm

Memphis doesn't really present the same challenges as Boston College. They have a T. Boone Pickens Jr. pumping their athletic department full of cash. Probably not replicable here
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Memphis doesn't really present the same challenges as Boston College. They have a T. Boone Pickens Jr. pumping their athletic department full of cash. Probably not replicable here

I guess you never heard of John Fish either.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:04 am

Reading the decision is all in Leahy's hands assures me this will be a complete disaster
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 am

I don't know where the Bowen thing came from. But, it seems that BC is telling folks they are out (first Paquette... now Ed).
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 933ea.html
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I don't know where the Bowen thing came from. But, it seems that BC is telling folks they are out (first Paquette... now Ed).

This fits with what my friend told me. The hiring committee is charged with finding three finalists and then Leahy will feel them out and make a decision. This probably means they have settled on the finalists and now it is Leahy's hands. He did say that there's a meeting set with the hiring committee and Leahy where the final decision is made. Supposedly Boynton is the lead dog running the search and has Leahy's ear on this. Whether that is a good thing or true is anyone's guess. Transparency has never been Leahy's thing.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Leahy will hire whoever will take the least money and who he feels is less likely to rock the boat and challenge the current status quo on athletics.

We'll do this all again in 6 years after the new basketball & football coaches are fired in 4 or 5.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:47 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I don't know where the Bowen thing came from. But, it seems that BC is telling folks they are out (first Paquette... now Ed).

This fits with what my friend told me. The hiring committee is charged with finding three finalists and then Leahy will feel them out and make a decision. This probably means they have settled on the finalists and now it is Leahy's hands. He did say that there's a meeting set with the hiring committee and Leahy where the final decision is made. Supposedly Boynton is the lead dog running the search and has Leahy's ear on this. Whether that is a good thing or true is anyone's guess. Transparency has never been Leahy's thing.

Your friend is lying to you because there is no hiring committee. Boyton isn't running anything.

BTW... given that there wasn't an announcement today or a scheduling of an announcement for tomorrow, I no longer believe the Bowen rumor. However, the sudden out-of-nowhere manner in which Bowen's name appeared is exactly how I think this hire will work. But, I'd expect something like a 24-hour timeline from when the name is leaked to the point when it is annouced that a decision has been made.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:10 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Leahy will hire whoever will take the least money and who he feels is less likely to rock the boat and challenge the current status quo on athletics.

We'll do this all again in 6 years after the new basketball & football coaches are fired in 4 or 5.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'll go back to a point I hit on before.

Either invest the necessary money and commitment to athletics, or just ditch the whole charade and go Patriot League.

Play the in between is getting ridiculous.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Perhaps, when candidates like Bowen get into the details of the job, they back out. You would have to be a candidate with no other options to accept the status quo regarding support and restrictions from Leahy. This job has proven to be a career ending job for the last two AD's.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:21 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:Leahy will hire whoever will take the least money and who he feels is less likely to rock the boat and challenge the current status quo on athletics.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'll go back to a point I hit on before.

Either invest the necessary money and commitment to athletics, or just ditch the whole charade and go Patriot League.

Play the in between is getting ridiculous.

Remember the old "Harvard during week; Alabama on Saturdays"? Leahy is committed to the former portion, period, including the "restoration" of athletics to their "proper" place within the university constellation. So next to Ivy League, Patriot is next best option.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:38 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Perhaps, when candidates like Bowen get into the details of the job, they back out.

Do the job details include being a naked altar boy whenever BC has a game (which would at least explain why the administration wants to continue to field 31 sports)?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:57 am

Paquette would not be the worst hire. He knows how to get people to write checks. He put the arm on me a few times. Everyone in the suites got squeezed by Jim and he was good at it.

Whether or not he would be a good AD is hard to know. He was known to be tough on people, not tolerating a lot of mistakes. I can see why the hiring committee would like him. He knows BC and how the place operates. He also knows Leahy, which helps. At this stage of his tenure, Leahy will want a safe hire and Paquette is a good bet to be at least average in the job.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:This job has proven to be a career ending job for the last two AD's.

And who's fault is that?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 am

In fairness, GDF retired for health reasons.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:In fairness, GDF retired for health reasons.

The ACC was a different animal back then, but we were also good at sports when GDF was here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:58 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:In fairness, GDF retired for health reasons.

The ACC was a different animal back then, but we were also good at sports when GDF was here

Good until he hired the coaches.
eagle33
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium