Bates to resign in June

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bates to resign in June

Postby 2014 Eagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 am

Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Re: Bates to resign in June

Postby angrychicken on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 am

The University will embark on a national search for a successor and will engage the services of an executive search firm to assist in the process.

That's nice.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby mod6A on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
The University will embark on a national search for a successor and will engage the services of an executive search firm to assist in the process.

That's nice.

i thought we get all our coaches and athletic dept people from the mac conference. :bag :suicide :seanwilliams :chewbanka :dildodog :lame

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:15 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

That's nice.

Relax Chris, no one could be worse than Brad Bates.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:16 am

People already throwing their hat in the ring.

This has been expected for months. VCU's Ed McLaughlin and Army's Boo Corrigan are the early names to watch.

https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel/status/833709323901661184
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

That's nice.

are you also assuming we'll use csa as our executive searcher... because that would totally be a bc thing to do
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 am

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:People already throwing their hat in the ring.

This has been expected for months. VCU's Ed McLaughlin and Army's Boo Corrigan are the early names to watch.

https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel/status/833709323901661184

Left to choose between these two, I would prefer Corrigan. He has experience in the athletics departments at some Power 5 schools (Notre Dame and Duke). McLaughlin grew up in Natick and is an alum but his experience is at Niagra, American and VCU.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

That's nice.

are you also assuming we'll use csa as our executive searcher... because that would totally be a bc thing to do

I was thinking this, as well.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 am

I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about who BC should hire here. I do know they need someone who will push the envelope and not just accept the stupid BC status quo.

The fact a search firm is hiring Bates, in spite of the fact he needed to use Eddie Fogler to hire our basketball coach, is mind numbing.

There needs to be an investigation on these search firms.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:27 am

This is a big loss for BC. Anybody who celebrates this is a moron.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

That's nice.

I was thinking this, as well.

they did help bring us ts slaughter, so you know they are a pretty good outfit
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:This is a big loss for BC. Anybody who celebrates this is a moron.

how so? seriously, i'm interested.

the sports teams are in the worst shape they've been in decades so he's not doing well on that front

the attendance at sporting events are the lowest they've been in memory so he's not doing well on that front

flynn fund donations have been dropping like a bowl of bottomless breadsticks at a scottsdale olive garden so he's not doing well on that front.

sure, he may be a nice guy... but that doesn't make him good at his job. if he could be the chief nice-guy officer for walmart greeter prices, id say keep him forever. when he's terrible at every measurable of his job... being a nice guy isn't enough
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:This is a big loss for BC. Anybody who celebrates this is a moron.

the sports teams are in the worst shape they've been in decades so he's not doing well on that front

the attendance at sporting events are the lowest they've been in memory so he's not doing well on that front

flynn fund donations have been dropping like a bowl of bottomless breadsticks at a scottsdale olive garden so he's not doing well on that front.

sure, he may be a nice guy... but that doesn't make him good at his job. if he could be the chief nice-guy officer for walmart greeter prices, id say keep him forever. when he's terrible at every measurable of his job... being a nice guy isn't enough

He should have put this in red font. There is no way this was serious.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:34 am

HORSE SHIT. I'm sorry but in no way is this a BIG LOSS. The man is the definition of mediocre. Maybe that's all BC will ever be or wants to be under Father but this can't be a BIG LOSS. Look at the state of BC athletics; the slogan EVER TO EXCEL has never rang as hollow.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He should have put this in red font. There is no way this was serious.

i went back and looked at his post history and his hatred of the heinz hammer leads me to believe that my sarcasm detector is clearly broken
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:43 am

i wonder if this will be big enough news to bring back s1r1uZbiZn3ss from his lurking status

or chaz b0mo from his extended arizona sabbatical
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:44 am

I know nothing about the guy, and the big red flag is going to be the lack of big time football experience on the resume, but this all sounds pretty good to me:

“There are a lot of people in this business, a lot of athletic directors that take jobs, but not a lot of them say when they wake up, ‘We can win a national championship here.’ It’s inspiring, and I think VCU is a place where we can win a national championship.”

VCU Athletics released its plan to reach a national championship and sustainable elite success nationally in the summer of 2013 with “VCU Rising: The Black and Gold Standard.” The plan centers on the student-athlete experience and the eight core values of the department: drive to excel, commitment to community, integrity, loyalty and positivity, equity and diversity, collaboration, innovation and student-athlete focus.

McLaughlin talks about the importance of the student-athlete experience every day: “Our culture drives our success and our core values provide the foundation of our culture. I want the experience of our student-athletes to be the best in the country so they win championships, grow academically and develop into incredible human beings who excel as leaders long after they graduate from VCU.”

Four years into his tenure, VCU Athletics has developed its student-athletes and achieved many of the goals laid out in the strategic plan to move closer and closer to that vision of national championships becoming a reality.

During McLaughlin’s first four years, VCU has experienced competitive success unparalled in the history of the institution. The Rams have won 13 Atlantic 10 Conference team championships, 47 A-10 individual championships and have sent 29 teams to the NCAA Tournament. The baseball program advanced to the 2015 NCAA Super Regionals after winning the Dallas Regional and the men’s basketball program advanced to its sixth consecutive NCAA Tournament in 2016.

An essential part of the student-athlete experience, academics and academic support have been made a point of emphasis during McLaughlin’s tenure with increases to staffing and tutoring for the student-athletes. In the classroom, the 270-plus student-athletes have performed at record levels since McLaughlin’s arrival in 2012. The department GPA exceeded 3.0 three times, with more than 58 percent of VCU’s student-athletes achieving a 3.0 GPA or higher during that time. Prior to McLaughlin’s arrival, the Rams never experienced a semester with a 3.0 GPA or higher.

Externally, the department has increased its revenue gradually each year, surpassing $11 million in overall revenue in 2015 and doubling since McLaughlin’s arrival. The Ram Athletic Fund also has doubled since McLaughlin’s arrival to more than $3.5 million to go along with large increases in ticket sale revenue throughout the 83-game sellout streak. In 2015, VCU signed a 10-year agreement with Learfield Sports to outsource multimedia rights for the first time in the department’s history, guaranteeing the department $22 million over the term of the contract. Strong external revenue results coupled with sound financial management turned department budget deficits into balanced budgets during each year of McLaughlin’s tenure at VCU.

McLaughlin has focused on facility improvements at VCU to enhance the student-athlete experience, highlighted by the $25 million VCU Basketball Development Center that opened in 2015. The three-year project to fund, finance and build the 62,700 square foot facility gives VCU’s basketball programs one of the top practice facilities in the country. Under McLaughlin’s tenure, VCU has added suites, a center-hung videoboard and new sound system at the Stuart C. Siegel Center, added the Academic Center at W. Marshall Street, renovation locker rooms for the Olympic Sport programs and replaced the turf at Cary Street Field.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:46 am

He carried on Coach Flip's proud tradition of keeping BC safe from bear attacks? :shrug
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:49 am

I'd be concerned with anyone that doesn't have exposure to running a D-1 football program. It's not even a varsity sport at VCU.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:51 am

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Now, we just need to make sure that Father Leahy does NOT hire the next AD...and only people who want to Make BC Sports Great Again are involved in the search!
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

He carried on Coach Flip's proud tradition of keeping BC safe from bear attacks? :shrug

He also kept around a lot of Coach Flip's people which was an early indication of what we were dealing with. Guy did not or could not make any tough decisions. I guess on the surface seemed like a positive he liked having consensus and committees over the dictator before him but it turned out they were just stall tactics to not have his name attached to anything of substance. Almost everything he rolled out at the end was stuff :pickle had started before he was "retired". Really could not have had someone worse at his job for a place like BC. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i wonder if this will be big enough news to bring back s1r1uZbiZn3ss from his lurking status

or chaz b0mo from his extended arizona sabbatical

chaz seems to have gone the way of naghockeyrruption
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

How the f*ck did I get minus points on the post about being happy that Bates is leaving????? Is it the cats????

BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:12 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:How the f*ck did I get minus points on the post about being happy that Bates is leaving????? Is it the cats????

rock bottom dee...

(i did not give you or your "cats" negative points)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd be concerned with anyone that doesn't have exposure to running a D-1 football program. It's not even a varsity sport at VCU.

This. I don't give a shit that the VCU guy is a BC grad from Natick.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:How the f*ck did I get minus points on the post about being happy that Bates is leaving????? Is it the cats????

rock bottom dee...

(i did not give you or your "cats" negative points)

Not Rock Bottom.....I'm just a ROCK! LOL!
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Hey guys.

I'm here to witness HJS accurately predict Bates' successor
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about who BC should hire here. I do know they need someone who will push the envelope and not just accept the stupid BC status quo.

The fact a search firm is hiring Bates, in spite of the fact he needed to use Eddie Fogler to hire our basketball coach, is mind numbing.

There needs to be an investigation on these search firms.

They just need someone who can raise money, and that probably means someone who is a relatively big name alum. Im not in the corners camp that think that BC is some magical place that only alumni understand, because its not, but they need someone who can connect to HNW alums/people close to University and raise money fast. I don't think it has to be an alum, but that might be the easiest way to peoples wallets.

McLaughlin is an easy name as he is an alum/has decent AD experience, and seems to have been at least competent in his BB coaching hire to replace Shaka.

TBH, at this point, I wouldn't even mind going outside the AD world for someone, as long as they are able to raise money. Leahy makes hires regardless, and hopefully the rumored BOT athletics group can aid in the hiring process as well. If you have the money, the hiring process almost solves itself and isnt rocket science.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm

You know, complaining about negative points is a negative points offense. They probably negged you in advance of your complaint.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:54 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

That's nice.

The BOT opened a ticket with IT to learn how to use google.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium