Beanpot 2017

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Beanpot 2017

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:53 am

Up to 7th in PWR all the sudden.

Late Super Bowl, 3:40 AM wake up call to travel and full day of work may make an 8 pm face off rough since I need to find some bar in NJ to watch this at.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Beanpot 2017

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 am

i'll post the stream when i get home, it's on tsn 2 so some canuck is broadcasting it
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles66 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://nowwatchtvlive.co/tsn-2-live-stream-watch-tsn-2-channel-online/

feed 3

This working for you?
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:36 pm

yes click on link 3

1-0 BU early, shots 9-0 bu
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles66 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:40 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:yes click on link 3

1-0 BU early, shots 9-0 bu

Sounds like I'm missing a good one.....couldn't bring myself to go to the gamewatch after last night's travesty :suicide
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:00 pm

This team has a Louie Adazzio problem (among other problems). McInnis is horrific.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:19 pm

dumpster fire. really hurt by the mass exodus and recruiting misses of late. hopefully BU experiences a similar exodus, BC's plan to bring in more 4-year recruits works out and we snag a few stars to mix in....
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:This team has a Louie Adazzio problem (among other problems). McInnis is horrific.

McInnis had a terrible game. Casey Fitzgerald hasn't had a great year. White has disappeared. Calnan had another terrible penalty that led to a PP goal for BU. Gaudreau hustles, but takes at least one stupid penalty per game.

Positives: Cangelosi had another good game. Ryan Fitzgerald was everywhere, he's elevated his game lately. Kim has had a solid (but not perfect) season, as has Savage. Woll has been very good. Some of the other freshmen like Booth have been solid and getting better.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:28 pm

BU is just way more talented.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 am

BC had ten freshman on the ice tonight, 3 on D and one in goal. This is an extremely young team that is in first place in HEA. The only team they have trouble scoring against is BU. Let's give BU's defense a lot of credit, they're good at blocking a lot of shots. They have lost 3 close games to BU, these are not lopsided blowouts. All 3 games have been decided by special teams.

BC needs to a second scoring line going with White and they need to improve their power play. Those are the two keys to making another deep run. Long term I really like this team, especially the freshman. By the time they are juniors with the talent coming in over the next two years we could see back to back NC.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BC had ten freshman on the ice tonight, 3 on D and one in goal. This is an extremely young team that is in first place in HEA. The only team they have trouble scoring against is BU. Let's give BU's defense a lot of credit, they're good at blocking a lot of shots. They have lost 3 close games to BU, these are not lopsided blowouts. All 3 games have been decided by special teams.

BC needs to a second scoring line going with White and they need to improve their power play. Those are the two keys to making another deep run. Long term I really like this team, especially the freshman. By the time they are juniors with the talent coming in over the next two years we could see back to back NC.

I would be happy with that, but they said BU is the only team in the NCAA younger than us.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

BU has 4 of the first 19 NHL picks as freshmen this year. Most of these guys will not be back next season whereas BC is building a solid foundation with this freshman class for the next 3 years. BC has a ton of top end talent coming in over the next two years.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BU has 4 of the first 19 NHL picks as freshmen this year. Most of these guys will not be back next season whereas BC is building a solid foundation with this freshman class for the next 3 years. BC has a ton of top end talent coming in over the next two years.

BU has to be more concerned about losing sophomores - I think the Bruins pressure McAvoy into leaving this offseason, Greenway is physically ready and would the Bruins want Chewbakka to leave now, considering they need offensive talent?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Glad to see about 10 students have shown for a non-BU or ND game.

Fuckin' nerds.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:50 pm

i would think the 6:00 starts would be better for the nerds, lord knows they don't do the friday roggies happy hour
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i would think the 6:00 starts would be better for the nerds, lord knows they don't do the friday roggies happy hour

To be fair, it seems the 10 student fans who showed up matched the number of BC hockey players who showed up. C Fitz was -2, Savage -2, McInnis -1 (he was worse than that, beat to the puck a number of times). With the exception of the ND game, Calnan looks like he doesn't want to be on the ice. White's line was invisible.

This team needs to (nearly) win out, or they will miss the tourney.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:09 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BU has 4 of the first 19 NHL picks as freshmen this year. Most of these guys will not be back next season whereas BC is building a solid foundation with this freshman class for the next 3 years. BC has a ton of top end talent coming in over the next two years.

BU has to be more concerned about losing sophomores - I think the Bruins pressure McAvoy into leaving this offseason, Greenway is physically ready and would the Bruins want Chewbakka to leave now, considering they need offensive talent?

Except for the fact that BU likely won't lose Bellows (who should rebound), doesn't lose any meaningful seniors, adds 3 of the top 9 scorers from the USANTDP U18 team (and 3 of the top 4 on the U17s) and 1 of the top scorers in the USHL.

Compare that to BC who loses 3 of its top 4 scorers to graduation and possibly the 4th in White, has another Eye-Tal flight risk in Tortora and some other lackluster results from its incoming recruits with the exception of Tolvanen (who, if picked in the top 10 of the NHL draft could never reach campus, though that's unlikely).
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:27 pm

BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:
BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:

Except for the fact that BU likely won't lose Bellows (who should rebound), doesn't lose any meaningful seniors, adds 3 of the top 9 scorers from the USANTDP U18 team (and 3 of the top 4 on the U17s) and 1 of the top scorers in the USHL.

Compare that to BC who loses 3 of its top 4 scorers to graduation and possibly the 4th in White, has another Eye-Tal flight risk in Tortora and some other lackluster results from its incoming recruits with the exception of Tolvanen (who, if picked in the top 10 of the NHL draft could never reach campus, though that's unlikely).

I'll call B.S. and refer you to Angry Dick's (and my) previous posts - BC does best when they have a mix of stars and solid 4-year players. Look at Harvard this year - lots of seniors, very few high draft picks (lots of 5th, 6th rounders), no single dominant player, but a really, really good team. That's the type of team that has won the last several NCAA championships. Look at the number of juniors and seniors on our 2012 team.

I think BU likely loses a lot more than you are suggesting, probably 4 out of their top 6 in scoring. Somerby is a senior that matters, Keller leads them in scoring and is likely gone, Hickey could also leave (3rd rd. pick), Fabbro could leave, and like BC, they could be surprised by other drafted players leaving early. I think they could end up looking a lot more like BC this year.

Next year's recruiting class wasn't considered lackluster. Let us know who you think hasn't progressed. Most fit that small, fast mold that works for Jerry's style.

As for this year's BC team, Cangelosi may be the biggest loss. He's had a great year. Savage will also be missed. Gaudreau has been very good offensively, but he's also leading the team in penalties, a ton of which were stupid and really cost the team. White has just been okay, not nearly as good as last year. I think injuries have been a problem, as they've been for Ryan Fitzgerald, whose numbers are also way down. Calnan has not had a good year, excepting the ND game. Way too many terrible penalties (#2 in PIM). If White goes, BC loses 4 of their top 5 in penalties. I don't think it's a coincidence that BC hasn't had a very good year.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 pm

This is a silly argument. I don't disagree that we need four-year solid players to win a championship...in fact, I full-heartedly agree with that. But we need a team that has stars and four-year plays complementing each other, not a team of just four-year players who are late round picks at best.

2012 - Dumoulin, Cross, K. hayes, Kreider & Gaudreau were stars mixed in with some late round picks in Wey, MacLeod, Carey and Arnold and non-drafted solid players like Brown, S. Whitney, Milner, Almeida and Mullane.

2010 - Had the aforementioned Dumo, Kreider, Cross, Whitney, Wey, Mullane and Milner along with high picks in Samuelsson, Sneep, J. Hayes and late-picks in Smith and Atkinson to supplement Muse, Gibbons, Whitney.

2008 - Many of the above to go along with Petrecki, Gerbe, Bertram, Ferriero.

Now let's look at our next recruiting class:
Cassetti - BC Hockey blog stated he could be a high draft pick...instead, he has 4 goals in 39 games.
Hutsko - "Will be a high pick in 2017." Only played in 8 games with the USANTDP.
Grando/Graham/Carreau/Martan - More four-year types.
Tolvanen - Best recruit, still likely top 10. Wouldn't say any regression there (though was once in consideration for a top 3 pick and hasn't taken the next step despite everyone in this draft class seemingly not impressing scouts. That's probably a good thing though in terms of keeping him on campus.)

Looking ahead to 2018, TJ Walsh was once considered an elite prospect for his class, then didn't make the USA NTDP and now has 4 goals in 29 games. Samuelsson I think played 2 games for the U17s. Giles made the U17 team and plays but has relatively struggled to find the back of the net. He does have good size and is from MD, so I expect he'd take more time to develop like Cotton (who, by the way, will be an early departure given he was drafted a year prior to arriving at BC like Sanford).

There is more to development than filling the stat sheet, and I don't watch any of these kids play so this isn't fair to say they've fallen off or anything like that, but there certainly doesn't appear to be many stars coming through to complement the four-year types. In fact, it's starting to look like all four-year types. And unless we go the Union/Quinnipiac route and get four-year types that are 26 during their senior year, this isn't the formula that has gotten BC to the top in recent history.

As for the penalties argument, these are also the players that play the most minutes and are thus likely to have the most penalty minutes. Are 36 PIM for White more egregious than the 27 PIMs of Walker and Greco?

Leaving: Gaudreau 50, Calnan 43, White 37 (probably?), R. Fitz 36, Cangelosi 20
Returning: C. Fitz 40, McInnis 33, Walker 27, Greco 27, Mattila (D) 24, Moore 22, McPhee 22, Cangelosi 20, Dudek 16.

Oh....and 29 of Calnan's PIMs came in just 2 games. Bottom line, expect the team's total penalty minutes to not move much.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 pm

There is so much stupid in the previous post, I don't know where to begin. In the interests of brevity let's focus on Hutsko and Cassetti. Hutsko has been hurt most of the year--freak injury, but one from which he will recover fully. The NHL scouts are still very high on him. As for Cassetti, he is a big, fast 17 year old who apparently grew two inches in the last year. He is still getting used to his own body to some degree and the Scouts are again very high on him.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 am

I don't follow hockey recruiting at all, but this current squad commits way too many penalties (and they're really dumb most the time) and is way short of NHL high-end talent. They'd have a losing record if Woll wasn't standing on his head on a nightly basis, that guy is going to be really good.

The fringe of the NCAAs is about where they should be, but I don't see a lot of kids out there who I see developing into stars.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:32 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I don't follow hockey recruiting at all, but this current squad commits way too many penalties (and they're really dumb most the time) and is way short of NHL high-end talent. They'd have a losing record if Woll wasn't standing on his head on a nightly basis, that guy is going to be really good.

The fringe of the NCAAs is about where they should be, but I don't see a lot of kids out there who I see developing into stars.

It's tough to tell with freshmen. Boyle looked out of place his freshman year. Look at the hyphen-named senior at Northeastern who was undrafted but now leads the country in scoring. Patrick Brown a few years ago, or Almeida

The reality is that this is a ridiculously young team, and they're probably right where they should be. It's just been frustrating to watch, especially with the many stupid penalties.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:There is so much stupid in the previous post, I don't know where to begin. In the interests of brevity let's focus on Hutsko and Cassetti. Hutsko has been hurt most of the year--freak injury, but one from which he will recover fully. The NHL scouts are still very high on him. As for Cassetti, he is a big, fast 17 year old who apparently grew two inches in the last year. He is still getting used to his own body to some degree and the Scouts are again very high on him.

What's the freak injury doc? He broke his neck LAST year, if I recall correctly. That would be two years in a row with injuries which inevitably will stunt development of any player.

Cassetti - growing into body or not - has 4 goals in 39 games. Please provide your brilliant analysis on this one Dicky. Hope you're right, but let's see these scout friends of yours actually make these draft selections.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:47 pm

I am not talking about the broken neck, dipshit. I would invite you to google either or both of them and scroll down to the scouting reports that pop up in the first three pages or thereabouts. There is plenty of confirmation that both are still highly regarded by the scouts, but thanks for playing.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 pm

This team is awful.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:04 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This team is awful.

They actually looked better last night to give you an idea of how dreadful they played last weekend
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Oh. So those references to the opinions of "scouts" weren't people you know. Go fucking figure.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:36 pm

I would think the written record would be better evidence, but then again I am not a fucking retard like you. If it helps, I am friends with a guy who is an Assistant GM and he thinks Cassetti is a stud. How about you fuck face?
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I would think the written record would be better evidence, but then again I am not a fucking retard like you. If it helps, I am friends with a guy who is an Assistant GM and he thinks Cassetti is a stud. How about you fuck face?

I'm surprised you and McPhee aren't boys
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink