2017 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:yeah - all those shitty miami, west virginia and vpi teams that we faced year after year (well before your visions of colby started dancing in your head)

I'll give you two teams. Wvu was at best mediocre from 1994-2004, and BC joined the ACC the year they got good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:yeah - all those shitty miami, west virginia and vpi teams that we faced year after year (well before your visions of colby started dancing in your head)

I'll give you two teams. Wvu was at best mediocre from 1994-2004, and BC joined the ACC the year they got good.

mediocre or not, they frikken owned bc and won all but 3 of the games played in your outlined 11 years

cuse would have been a better name to drop, and not just for the diamond ferri bowl
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:14 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

mediocre or not, they frikken owned bc and won all but 3 of the games played in your outlined 11 years

cuse would have been a better name to drop, and not just for the diamond ferri bowl

ah, yup

The Friday night of my 5 year high school reunion, day after Thanksgiving actually, I remember getting dressed while watching BC (who had just ended Notre Dame national championship hopes) losing (at home) to a then 10-0 WVa team. Of course, this is the year before Theodore's little 11 year window. But as far as I can remember, the moonshine drinkers have always been at least decent on the field....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Whether they owned the marine quartermaster wasn't the question, a lot of shitty teams did that. BUNTING!

The question is whether the BE/ACC was a pretty weak conference from 1997 to 2006, and the answer is yes. One team was usually on the margins of the NC picture, other than the year Miami won and the year VT got curb stomped like they were from South Bend.

Mediocre teams owning BC under TOB actually makes my point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:56 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

ah, yup

The Friday night of my 5 year high school reunion, day after Thanksgiving actually, I remember getting dressed while watching BC (who had just ended Notre Dame national championship hopes) losing (at home) to a then 10-0 WVa team. Of course, this is the year before Theodore's little 11 year window. But as far as I can remember, the moonshine drinkers have always been at least decent on the field....

My "little 11 year window" covered the years TOB played them dipshit. And I went back two years before because they were mediocre then too. Rutgers invented football, does that make them awesome in the late 90s?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

ah, yup

My "little 11 year window" covered the years TOB played them dipshit. And I went back two years before because they were mediocre then too. Rutgers invented football, does that make them awesome in the late 90s?

going back to 94 picks up some henning years, doesn't it?

doesn't change the argument you are making... just finding a strawman to help nospace continue his abuse of you
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

ah, yup

going back to 94 picks up some henning years, doesn't it?

doesn't change the argument you are making... just finding a strawman to help nospace continue his abuse of you

Yes, WVu was mediocre not only during the TOB years but all of the post Major Harris pre late RichRod era. Notable exception, the 93-94 team, which is why I didn't include back to 91
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:00 pm

WVU's record against us is pretty messed up. They own the series between us and them.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:TOB won an average of 8 games every year, had attendance over 40,000, very few off field player issues, sent his own kid to Xaverian, conducted himself with class and represented the values and culture of BC very well. He was not a terrific coach like TC, but BC has zero interest in building a top 15 program anyway, thus TOB was a perfect fit for BC. A billboard sign in the stadium of TOB with the caption "Miss Me Yet" would be appropriate!

TOB did that in a shitty conference. He also was an asshole... He also hated BC.

this reason is the tiebreaker that makes me go Daz >:Toby > Spaz
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You're not seriously arguing those old Big East teams stack up with what we have to deal with in the ACC right now correct?

Those Temple, Rutgers and I'm sure I'm forgetting others squads were comically bad.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:58 pm

I've also been going to BC Football games since I was 9 months old so spare me the above bullshit.

Those conferences absolutely blew back then.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I've also been going to BC Football games since I was 9 months old so spare me the above bullshit.

Those conferences absolutely blew back then.

It was Miami OR VT marginally in the hunt other than one season each that they won or were in the title game. The rest of the teams were horrid, after McNabb graduated, BC was probably the third best team in the conference.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 pm

TOB loved BC, he hated GDF. TOB was at the Frozen 4 last year, he is a good friend of JY.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:TOB loved BC, he hated GDF. TOB was at the Frozen 4 last year, he is a good friend of JY.

Bullshit. Guy was a grade A asshole and underachiever. His worthless coaching career could not have ended more appropriately, in utter and miserable failure, looking like an idiot compared to Chuck Amato. Fuck him. 12 months after he said BC will never win more than 9 games, they won 11.

Oh, and Ryan Glasper. Fuck TOB.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:TOB did that in a shitty conference. He also was an asshole... He also hated BC.

I was probably one of the first to be done with Toby (probably the case with every coach not named Jags or Skinner). That said, I think I'd put TOB ahead of Daz because he had a much more stable program by Year 4. He also was crushing it year-over-year in recruiting. They both had their maddeningly weird turtle-up situations and WTF losses due to ultra-conservative gameplans. But, Daz stands alone... even behind Spaz... in worst in-game coaching. So, I'd rank them...

Jags>TOB>Daz>Henning>Spaz
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:TOB did that in a shitty conference. He also was an asshole... He also hated BC.

I was probably one of the first to be done with Toby (probably the case with every coach not named Jags or Skinner). That said, I think I'd put TOB ahead of Daz because he had a much more stable program by Year 4. He also was crushing it year-over-year in recruiting. They both had their maddeningly weird turtle-up situations and WTF losses due to ultra-conservative gameplans. But, Daz stands alone... even behind Spaz... in worst in-game coaching. So, I'd rank them...

Fuck that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Agree with all of this, +5 for HJS
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Agree with all of this, +5 for HJS

TOBy was never taking us to the pormised land, but I never doubted that we would have good season, I just always waited for the WTF loss. I would take TOBy's recruiting and style though. He knew BC could recruit huge o-lineman and they developed well with a year redshirt. When you are good on both sides of the line and have a good pro-style QB, you are winning 8 games. he just couldnt recruit many at the skill positions.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:14 pm

I would not rank Jags ahead of TOB, he personally cost us the ACCCG with no running game and horrible clock management. He almost cost us the MSU bowl game as well. He inherited TOB's talent and as for WTF losses, how about the Maryland game? Jags is so overrated by this board. The program was trending down under his watch, he was doing zero recruiting. It's no surprise no other school wanted him either.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I would not rank Jags ahead of TOB, he personally cost us the ACCCG with no running game and horrible clock management. He almost cost us the MSU bowl game as well. He inherited TOB's talent and as for WTF losses, how about the Maryland game? Jags is so overrated by this board. The program was trending down under his watch, he was doing zero recruiting. It's no surprise no other school wanted him either.

He personally cost BC a game that TOB never would have attended. This post is competing with the corners post(s).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:41 pm

BC didn't have a great running game and from IB'ing it, they used the running game in the same way the Pats used to use the running game, short passes to the RB. Callendar finished with 13 receptions and 92 yards, which seems to bear that out. Plus the lack of running game was probably more on TOBy given the depth chart of Callendar, Whitworth, and a suspended Brooks.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Callender did run for nearly 1000 at a 4.5 clip. Logan was famous for wanting 250/150/400. But yes, they threw to Callender a shit ton that season - he led the team in receptions.

Wish Slaughter would discover the screen pass.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:08 pm

all time single season record for catches in a season.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I would not rank Jags ahead of TOB, he personally cost us the ACCCG with no running game and horrible clock management. He almost cost us the MSU bowl game as well. He inherited TOB's talent and as for WTF losses, how about the Maryland game? Jags is so overrated by this board. The program was trending down under his watch, he was doing zero recruiting. It's no surprise no other school wanted him either.

Seriously?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Daz and TOB do an equally shitty job in many respects, but all else being equal, I would pick Daz over TOB. I think Daz genuinely believes in his players and cares about them as people. I didn't get that sense from TOB.

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:TOB in the current ACC would spin out shitty 6-6 season one after another.

The ACC is ridiculous and the Big East back then was a joke more or less

I agree with this not only because of the difference in competition but because TOB would get buried on the recruiting trail in the age of social media.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:The only coach I have watched at BC that I would prefer Daz over would be Spaz.

I do remember all the boring offenses and WTF losses of the TOB era. They were extremely frustrating, the team often felt like it was on the cusp of breaking through but never really achieved anything of note and most of that blame is on TOB's shoulders. But that is a major difference between TOB and Daz, Daz will never have the team on the precipice of going from 8 to 10 wins. And although neither are ideal coaches, TOB developed talent, found QBs and Olinemen, and consistently won 8-9 games, things that are only a dream for the current Bad Hombre in charge. From an off field perspective, both suck but I would still prefer TOB. Daz' excuses have grown old and his lack of production combined with the aforementioned cowardliness of blaming 18 year old freshman for his mistakes makes his whole Be A Dude act hypocritical at best.

At least with TOB, there was hope heading into the season, the same can't be said with Daz

To be my usual contrarian self, was there hope heading into year 5 of TOB? I'm asking geniunely because I started with BC in the mid/late TOB era and I agree that during the late TOB years there was "hope," if only the hope that a good enough combination of players could overcome TOB's terrible coaching and clear mediocrity to take the next step forward from the usual 8-9 wins. But was there hope after the first 4 years? The Daz equivalent years? After TOB's first 4 seasons -- winning 4, 4, 8 and 7 games -- was there really that much more hope than there is right now? Any of you old timers here care to answer this? Did you really think TOB would win a Big East Championship at that point?

Both TOB and Daz won 23 games their first 4 seasons, an average of 5.75 wins per season each. That's equally mediocre through 4 years. TOB didn't become the consistent 8-9 win coach until years 5-10. TOB had a very clear ceiling, and it was mediocrity. Daz likely also has a ceiling that is well below his stated ambitions of championships, and it's likely some version of mediocrity whether it's 5-7 wins per season or 7-9 wins per season, whatever.

Anyone saying TOB > Daz is an idiot, if only because they had the exact same record after 4 years and we haven't seen what Daz years 5-10 are like. In fact, it's even more idiotic because all you can say for sure is that TOB was DEFINITELY MEDIOCRE. Daz is LIKELY MEDIOCRE and POSSIBLE TERRIBLE. Anyone championing a certifiably mediocre coach like TOB is pathetic.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:54 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
Both TOB and Daz won 23 games their first 4 seasons, an average of 5.75 wins per season each.

after 4 years, TOB was 13-15 against conference opponents.
after 4 years, Daz is 10-22 against conference opponents.

the conference landscape has changed somewhat so its not exactly apples to apples, but let's not give Daz the benefit of the doubt for scheduling opponents where there is a freaking running clock in the second half.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:02 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:The only coach I have watched at BC that I would prefer Daz over would be Spaz.

I do remember all the boring offenses and WTF losses of the TOB era. They were extremely frustrating, the team often felt like it was on the cusp of breaking through but never really achieved anything of note and most of that blame is on TOB's shoulders. But that is a major difference between TOB and Daz, Daz will never have the team on the precipice of going from 8 to 10 wins. And although neither are ideal coaches, TOB developed talent, found QBs and Olinemen, and consistently won 8-9 games, things that are only a dream for the current Bad Hombre in charge. From an off field perspective, both suck but I would still prefer TOB. Daz' excuses have grown old and his lack of production combined with the aforementioned cowardliness of blaming 18 year old freshman for his mistakes makes his whole Be A Dude act hypocritical at best.

At least with TOB, there was hope heading into the season, the same can't be said with Daz

Anyone saying TOB > Daz is an idiot, if only because they had the exact same record after 4 years and we haven't seen what Daz years 5-10 are like. In fact, it's even more idiotic because all you can say for sure is that TOB was DEFINITELY MEDIOCRE. Daz is LIKELY MEDIOCRE and POSSIBLE TERRIBLE. Anyone championing a certifiably mediocre coach like TOB is pathetic.

Anyone clamoring for Daz or TOB is stupid. And I can't comment on the general optimism or lack thereof surrounding the program during the time of the betting scandal but some general observations below.

I think heading into year 5 TOB was a potentially good to mediocre coach where as Daz is a potentially mediocre coach to an awful one, that is a big difference in their abilities, much bigger than you note.

Both TOB and Daz were inheriting less than ideal situations when hired, with TOB getting handed the betting scandal, not easy to recruit off of that. TOB, however, showed much greater promise than Daz did entering year 5 as he was coming off of years 3 and 4 totaling 15 wins, opposed to Daz' years 3 and 4 totaling 10 wins.

Furthermore, unlike Daz who is scrambling for a QB entering his 5th year and is coming off of 2 conference wins combined during his 3rd and 4th years at the helm, TOB had the ship headed in the right direction in YEAR 3 (remember, Daz went 3-9 with wins over Howard, Maine and NIU in his year 3). In year 3 for TOB, he got to 8 regular season wins, beating #25 ND on the road and only losing to Miami by 3 points at the U (think of all the blowouts in Daz' year 4). TOB's year 4 was followed up by the 7 win season that you mentioned, Brian St. Pierre's first season at the helm thus a step back wouldn't be that surprising. The next year, TOB's year 5, St Pierre had already started a year and eventually led the team to 9 total wins and a final ranking of #21 in the AP top 25.

In year 3-4 TOB had 15 combined wins and his QB of the future already had started a full season entering year 5.

In year 3-4 Daz has 10 combined wins and is entering year 5 without a proven commodity at QB, not good. Daz will be lucky to get to 6 wins in his year 5 which will prove that he is bad (worse than mediocre), where as TOB showed true promise in year 5.

I think this is worth a +5 for the co-champion worst poster of the year

I suppose you guys are going to accuse jhiggi of not watching the games, too?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Tobias had us ranked or at least "also receiving votes" more often than not. has ts slaughter ever received votes (other than the bottom 10?). Tobias could lose an unexpected game every year, but kaptain katsup has some games you know we'll get blown out... even when runnng the prevent offense.

I hated Tobias as much as the next guy but I'd take him back over the current apeman
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Tobias had us ranked or at least "also receiving votes" more often than not. has ts slaughter ever received votes (other than the bottom 10?). Tobias could lose an unexpected game every year, but kaptain katsup has some games you know we'll get blown out... even when runnng the prevent offense.

I hated Tobias as much as the next guy but I'd take him back over the current apeman

(extends olive branch)

I know I am your "foe" and you'll never see this post, but +5 for this one tre
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium