2016-17 Coaching Carousel Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016-17 Coaching Carousel Thread

Postby Iggle on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:38 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:lightyears ahead of BC

Seriously?

I mean HCRE is fine, but it's not exactly an inspired hire. I went to a lot of Maryland games when he was there and they were far worse than anything BC has spun out there except last year's version.

I was being sarcastic. It'll probably work out okay for UConn since they got him so cheap but I don't think it changes anything too drastically about how BC and UConn stack up for the near future
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:54 pm

wow that salary:
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3h3 hours ago
UConn’s Randy Edsall receives 5-year contract worth $1M annually w/opportunity to earn more; $3M buyout in 1st year, decreases $1M each year

the women's basketball coach makes well more than double...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:30 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:wow that salary:
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3h3 hours ago
UConn’s Randy Edsall receives 5-year contract worth $1M annually w/opportunity to earn more; $3M buyout in 1st year, decreases $1M each year

the women's basketball coach makes well more than double...

In fairness they win the NC every year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Moorhead to UConn?

https://twitter.com/espnSteveLevy/statu ... 4698508288

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/8 ... 6942103557

Pat Forde
‏@YahooForde
Y sources: @BallCoachJoeMo standing firm in commitment to Penn State for '17. Loved his time at UConn, but not a candidate to replace Diaco.

(Not that this means all that much)

Moorhead wants a P5 job. Would be crazy to bother with sUeConn at this point. :ace

I get that folks from the Diploma Mill think the world or Moorhead and his 54th ranked offense. But, to level-set a bit...

Moorhead interviewed for the Purdue job... so his commitment to Ped State in 2017 seems contingent upon him not having any other opportunities. Further, while he may want a Power 5 gig, Yukon isn't significantly far below Purdue (who is arguably the 3rd worst P5 job ahead of only Rutgers and BC). Finally, the path to a major conference job seems to be these mid major jobs. Herman and Taggart show that. Charlie Strong being hired in the AAC shows that too. Ultimately, coordinators making more than mid-level coaches isn't a driver as much as a chance for a major P5 head coaching gig (reason why Kiffin left money from Bama and LSU to go to FAU).

Homojs is right as usual :whiteflag :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Moorhead to UConn?

https://twitter.com/espnSteveLevy/statu ... 4698508288

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/8 ... 6942103557

Pat Forde
‏@YahooForde
Y sources: @BallCoachJoeMo standing firm in commitment to Penn State for '17. Loved his time at UConn, but not a candidate to replace Diaco.

(Not that this means all that much)

Moorhead wants a P5 job. Would be crazy to bother with sUeConn at this point. :ace

I get that folks from the Diploma Mill think the world or Moorhead and his 54th ranked offense. But, to level-set a bit...

Moorhead interviewed for the Purdue job... so his commitment to Ped State in 2017 seems contingent upon him not having any other opportunities. Further, while he may want a Power 5 gig, Yukon isn't significantly far below Purdue (who is arguably the 3rd worst P5 job ahead of only Rutgers and BC). Finally, the path to a major conference job seems to be these mid major jobs. Herman and Taggart show that. Charlie Strong being hired in the AAC shows that too. Ultimately, coordinators making more than mid-level coaches isn't a driver as much as a chance for a major P5 head coaching gig (reason why Kiffin left money from Bama and LSU to go to FAU).

On what planet is Purdue a better job than than BC?
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:09 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:On what planet is Purdue a better job than than BC?

I have some pie charts you should take a look at.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:13 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

I think you can make a strong argument that BC is currently the worst Power 5 program when you consider things like institutional support, local recruiting, fanbase, facilities and conference. For starters, there isn't a single P5 school more adversarial to its sports teams than BC. Shit... there isn't a single FBS school that is as adversarial. That institutional scorn seeps into pretty much all other aspects (financial, admissions, facilities, fan experience). Accordingly, I think Purdue has an easier path to make a run to be a top team in their conference (with a good coach and flexible admissions)... than that of BC (as you would have to fight your own administration along with the opponents).

Nonetheless, if you believe the Boilermakers are a worse program (based upon their frequent on-field underperformance compared to BC), why would someone lobby to hire a coach that wasn't even good enough for the Purdue job?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:32 pm

I think people perceive BC to be a better job and program than Purdue based on history versus the current situation. HJS is right about the administration and as we all agree until Leahy goes it will be tough attracting the best coach for the job. Leahy is a real psychopath when it comes to college sports. He never should have been hired or accepted the job in the first place. We can all thank Trustee Jeff Boise for this fuck up.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:37 pm

trying to wrap a lot of these things into one post:

1. Edsall is not an upgrade from Dazz, and if he is, it is minimal. That said, it I a fairly solid hire for UCONN. He has been there before, he has won there, and in a crappy conference he will post regular 8 win seasons by year 3. I think he will stabilize that program, because I don't ever see him becoming a top of the list P5 candidate again. Unless he is pumping out 10 win seasons, I don't see him being that attractive to the big boys. He may have a fairly long tenure at UConn, and when he wins 6-7 games two years from now he is going to get the Addazzio extension that will tie the school to him for half a decade.

2. Credit to UConn for mending fences with Edsall. He was persona non grata for the way he handled his exit there on his way to Maryland. He did a poor job handling his departure.

3. A coaching change at UConn doesn't affect BC recruiting at all in the short term. There is not one recruit on their commitment list that BC would ever want. Their list is scary bad. Only a few have anything close to a P5 offer. That is a tough place to recruit to. UConn may actually get a little bump from the inevitable clownshoes display that happens after BC puts on after firing Addaz at the end of next year. BC's transitions never go smoothly, and that will leave them open to poaching. Dazz, like every year will have 95% of his class full by labor day next year. They are, in my mind, absolutely heading for a meltdown season next year(3-4 wins, with no offense), and when he is fired in December, HCRE, building a new program, may be able to swoop in and grab one of the annual 3-4 kids who have the stony brook, Monmouth, Buffalo, Temple offers that is committed to BC.

4. I think it is easier to build a program at Rutgers than it is at BC. Facilities are better. State school. They have irresponsibly to taxpayers dropped money into that program when it wasn't needed. Coaches are paid competitively. Access to better home recruits than BC. Absolutely no academic restrictions on who they can take. JC's are welcome, I believe. When they were in the AAC, they were worse off than BC. When they moved to the B10, it gave them enough credibility to jump BC

5. Purdue and BC are neck and neck for the bottom of the barrel. Purdue, after Brees left, has been a dumpster fire. Tough place to win. Very tough conference, tough to recruit to, academic restrictions, West Lafayette, In is your home, weather, not much to sell there. No idea about their stadium or facilities, but I imagine they are better than BC's. Strangely the two other programs who I have long considered to be in the same tough spot as BC and Purdue have manged to stay afloat, better than BC. Those are WSU and KSU. Am I wrong to also suggest that CAl-Berkely is a P5 program that is down more than up?

6. Kiffin will be a p5 head coach within 3 years. He will not be a directional Florida school for more than two years. He will recruit every reprobate around and wont give a hoot about what they do off the field. He is this short term. He wants to win, win big and get out. He will get enough playmakers to put up a ton of points in a dog crap conference, and that will be enough for a team like South Carolina, Miss St, Ole, Miss or the like to hire him.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

I think you can make a strong argument that BC is currently the worst Power 5 program when you consider things like institutional support, local recruiting, fanbase, facilities and conference. For starters, there isn't a single P5 school more adversarial to its sports teams than BC. Shit... there isn't a single FBS school that is as adversarial. That institutional scorn seeps into pretty much all other aspects (financial, admissions, facilities, fan experience). Accordingly, I think Purdue has an easier path to make a run to be a top team in their conference (with a good coach and flexible admissions)... than that of BC (as you would have to fight your own administration along with the opponents).

Nonetheless, if you believe the Boilermakers are a worse program (based upon their frequent on-field underperformance compared to BC), why would someone lobby to hire a coach that wasn't even good enough for the Purdue job?

I current work in a city that has a far worse program than BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:08 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:6. Kiffin will be a p5 head coach within 3 years. He will not be a directional Florida school for more than two years. He will recruit every reprobate around and wont give a hoot about what they do off the field. He is this short term. He wants to win, win big and get out. He will get enough playmakers to put up a ton of points in a dog crap conference, and that will be enough for a team like South Carolina, Miss St, Ole, Miss or the like to hire him.

The people at FAU are fully aware of the fact that he won't be there very long, and they are very open about being fine with that. They took the opportunity to make a big splash, and they are hoping that it gives their program instant credibility. In the end, I'm guessing that both Kiffin and FAU get what they are looking for from this relationship. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:31 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:There is no excuse for a coach not winning 7-8 games next year with this team and schedule. That said, I could easily see the Great Daziani only winning 4.

Cuse and the puppy pack are not going to be as easy as many here think. Throw in the loss to ND and the one or two games that the Great Daziani throws away annually due to not possessing the requisite coaching acumen, and you all are looking at another 'Hanse' type of year, one marked by banality and incompetence

Don't you have some senior staffer to suck off?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:13 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:There is no excuse for a coach not winning 7-8 games next year with this team and schedule. That said, I could easily see the Great Daziani only winning 4.

Cuse and the puppy pack are not going to be as easy as many here think. Throw in the loss to ND and the one or two games that the Great Daziani throws away annually due to not possessing the requisite coaching acumen, and you all are looking at another 'Hanse' type of year, one marked by banality and incompetence

They're all off until Tuesday so it's Grindr for now.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:24 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

They're all off until Tuesday so it's Grindr for now.

He's probably sitting at the bar at the Starboard, taking advantage of the off season pricing in Dewey Beach.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:26 pm

ND is going to be all kinds of mediocre next year.

They'll lose to the usual 3 suspects by about 150 points, the rest of the games are in play.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Both Purdue and Rutgers are better coaching gigs than BC. I would say that the only P5 school that might be considered a worse job is Wake Forest. Sure they'll have a shiny new IPF and a better recruiting area, but their school is half the size and they have lots of in-state competition for top recruits. They also have academic standards that are on par or at least close to BC. BC has a slightly larger football fan base, more history/tradition, and can pull kids from Catholic schools all over the country.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Counterpoint to Rutgers being a better job than BC: It's Rutgers
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:43 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I would say that the only P5 school that might be considered a worse job is Wake Forest.

Crazy talk. Off the top of my giant head...

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Missississississippippippippi state
Oregon
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I would say that the only P5 school that might be considered a worse job is Wake Forest.

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Oregon

B1G and SEC money put those schools on a different level. Not to mention they all have much better fan support. And Oregon has Nike money.

You probably don't make it to Alumni too often or live in Boston to fully appreciate the irrelevance.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

Are we talking about the same sport? While you're at it, please create a list comparing the football records of each team over the past 10 years and report your findings. In fairness to purdue, this even includes BC's shit years with Spaz at historic lows for our program.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:31 pm

You are all undervaluing Power 5 jobs. Debate the worst all you want but it is all subjective. It is like saying which winning Powerball ticket is the worst. You still have a winning lottery ticket. There are only so many Power 5 jobs and hundreds of guys who want the money and their shot. You only turn down a Power 5 job if you already have one somewhere else that is more secure.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:55 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:You are all undervaluing Power 5 jobs. Debate the worst all you want but it is all subjective. It is like saying which winning Powerball ticket is the worst. You still have a winning lottery ticket. There are only so many Power 5 jobs and hundreds of guys who want the money and their shot. You only turn down a Power 5 job is you already have one somewhere else that is more secure.

I appreciate that fact, but we're ranking the P5 jobs.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Primetime on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:22 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Oregon

B1G and SEC money put those schools on a different level. Not to mention they all have much better fan support. And Oregon has Nike money.

You probably don't make it to Alumni too often or live in Boston to fully appreciate the irrelevance.

Oregon and Miss. St. definitely don't belong on that list.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Kentucky or Kansas, overshadowed by hoops in Lexington and Lawrence. Luckily we don't have that problem in Chestnut Hill :gun
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Oregon

Oregon and Miss. St. definitely don't belong on that list.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Kentucky or Kansas, overshadowed by hoops in Lexington and Lawrence. Luckily we don't have that problem in Chestnut Hill :gun

Eh, their fan support blows BC's out of the water.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 pm

I refuse to believe Rutgers is a better job:
Lower admission standards is true but that's about it. Chestnut hill > Piscataway any day of the week.
Daz gets paid well.. people forget this. Maybe not 5 million a year but 2.5 is pretty fair.
Rutgers is the laughing stock of the big whatever and it was the laughing stock of the big east before that.

So many "we are what we are" types on this board letting truth get in the way of their agenda.

All the school needs is an IPF and it's a decent (not great) job in the P5.
Definitely not even close to bottom tier.
And honestly, we could actually be a good job if there was more institutional support.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:51 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Oregon

I do. BC is much better than most of those jobs. Y'all are stupid.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:You are all undervaluing Power 5 jobs. Debate the worst all you want but it is all subjective. It is like saying which winning Powerball ticket is the worst. You still have a winning lottery ticket. There are only so many Power 5 jobs and hundreds of guys who want the money and their shot. You only turn down a Power 5 job is you already have one somewhere else that is more secure.

I appreciate that fact, but we're ranking the P5 jobs.

Right and it is basically subjective. Take Tom Hermann. He picked Texas over LSU. I could give you ten reasons why LSU is better, but he wanted Texas. Look at Gary Anderson leaving Wisconsin for Oregon State. He left a "better" job because of fit. He didn't want to deal with Alvarez and felt more comfortable on the West Coast and a school where he could recruit JuCos.

Purdue might have more money than BC, but it is a much harder place to win and has been a career killer. BC has seen coaches move on to other jobs and have success. But my original point is that most of these coaches are dumb/arrogant enough to think they will be the next Tom Coughlin when they could just as easily be Spaz. They just want a shot.

In the ACC alone, BC is better than Wake and Duke (Cutcliffe is an outlier). You could argue that BC is better job than Pitt, Cuse, NCSU, and Virginia. It depends on the coach and what he is looking for.

BC needs to make the job better and we haven't made great hires, but that doesn't mean the job is bad.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Oregon

You did not present any facts.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:13 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Oregon

Don't need to. This argument is fucking stupid
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Oregon

Don't need to. This argument is fucking stupid

Facts. Please present them.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium